Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but so? The Spurs should keep both. Devins role is very much different than that of Lonnie and both are good prospects. Even if the Spurs don't know if they plan to keep Lonnie more than a year or two they should still sign him to a deal as opposed to letting him walk.

This is the same people in the past said about DJM and White. You guys need to understand that you don't draft an asset and then turn around and let him walk just when he's starting to come through on his value. People are in here balking at giving Lonnie an MLE type deal when it wouldn't hurt the Spurs at all to do so there there is a very good chance that such a deal will turn out to be a great value the way DJM's extension (and to a lesser extent White's) were. Unless the bottom falls out for Lonnie, its not really possible for him to be an incredibly bad contract for that amount. Its just not that much money and Lonnie isn't going to have a floor like someone such as Forbes.
    After going back and forth, I agree with this take in the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie's the kind of player who makes a GM's job hard. The temptation to look at his recent showings and hope it means more than the past few years is understandable, and I'm sure lots of scouts & GMs are looking at him right now trying to figure out if this is a legitimate show of improvement or a short hot streak. I noticed an interesting coincidence looking at his career numbers just now: his career 3pt% after four years in the NBA is 34.6%, which just so happens to be the same exact 3pt% he shot in his one year in college. His 3pt% for this season is 31.8%, which is the worst overall showing of his four seasons. His TS% this year is pretty much even with his career TS%. I'd agree that Lonnie at a reasonable price could make sense-- either to play or to use as a trade piece-- but if some other team views him as a potential big time scorer and wants to offer him a bit of money, I don't know that it would make sense financially to match, especially now that Richardson is around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Richardson is interesting because some of our young players may not even get better than him, sadly, but we have to develop the youth to find out. It’s the challenge when consistently drafting out of the top ten: there’s no pecking order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Richardson is interesting because some of our young players may not even get better than him, sadly, but we have to develop the youth to find out. It’s the challenge when consistently drafting out of the top ten: there’s no pecking order.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating big minutes for Richardson. I just think that paying Walker too much in addition to Richardson and Langford would mean the Spurs would be paying the equivalent of a #1 option's salary to have three average guys who are all probably bench players, and that's with Primo and Vassell in about the same queue, when the glaring weakness of this team seems to me to be the forward positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to be clear, I'm not advocating big minutes for Richardson. I just think that paying Walker too much in addition to Richardson and Langford would mean the Spurs would be paying the equivalent of a #1 option's salary to have three average guys who are all probably bench players, and that's with Primo and Vassell in about the same queue, when the glaring weakness of this team seems to me to be the forward positions.
    , I forgot about Romeo. Wright has a lot to figure out by draft night, but for the most part, I’m confident he will try to make something work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When was the last time you watched a game? Lonnie an off-ball scorer? The kid can create for himself and others. Albeit not consistently before 10 games ago. But Lonnie does not need anyone to create for him. Off-ball scorer?

You fooling yourself here. You need players to take advantage of that head start . Lonnie is the only one capable on this spurs team. The orher is Devin but his play of late has declined on both ends.

What makes players like Crawford and Williams special is they have the required skill and savy through experience on finding ways to score. They certainly cant take advantage when they have a step on their man like Lonnie can so yes they are different. Give Lonnie 10 years in the league. You could see the same .
    I didn't say otherwise.

So you agree.

It doesn't take 10 years to figure out a player or for them to find their niche.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The team leads the league in assists with Pop’s motion offense, since the beautiful game. Everyone gets a share of the basket off assists. It’s funny cherry picking on Lonnie’s .

FGM% Assy, McD 100%, KBD 90.9%, Keldon 81.7%, Collins 80%, Vassell 77.3%, and so on.

But if you really watch the game and not just look at the stats, you’ll know that Lonnie is far from a catch and shoot guy. He can get to the basket at will, break defense and even facilitate. Again his problem was inconsistency and weak defense.

The last 10 games Lonnie has shown great production in the tune of 18 ppg. If he can continue that throughout the remaining 13 games, it would be prudent not to offer him and just let him walk. He’s only 23 yrs old and can easily move that contract. As somebody pointed out, you don’t draft at 18 and just watch him walk when he made the turn.

I didn't say otherwise.

So you agree.

It doesn't take 10 years to figure out a player or for them to find their niche.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s really bad that at his age, he’s got back,problems. It’s been kind of an on and off thing this season, but when he got knocked down, he almost couldn’t walk off the floor and into the tunnel.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I didn't say otherwise.

So you agree.

No you asserted that Lonnie needs plays run for him and is more of a off the ball scorer. You fooling yrself thats its a negative. Prettey much all the spurs on the team needs plays run for them to get the offense going. Only a few can take advantage of it and create for others. Lonnie is one of them. This season he using that advantage to get to the line consistently and ivee seen him passing to teammatesfor an easier look. Thats some fast growth rhere considering we didnt see much of it previous seasons. Manu was a great exponent of using his athleticism to ge to them FTs so love what im seeing. Spurs can milk that part of his game when needed on demand like it on tap.

Being an off the ball scorer than can take advantage of a rotating defense is also a big plus. Lonnies biggest knock is shot selection and lack of agression. What we seen now is a guy not second guessing and showing abilty to recognize that correct move leading to easier shots. No doubt thats Manus influence but it shows Lonnie is a learner that continues to grow. He completing plays consistently every game now.

You getting caught up on the comparisons . Since that trade deadline Lonnie is giving us his niche and in 10 years experience will play its part when that athleticism starts to go.
    Last edited by Slippy; 03-19-2022 at 05:17 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is pretty soft..

a knee to the leg/thigh?

seriously?

get the up, limp down the court, shake that off and suck it up you ing pussy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is pretty soft..

a knee to the leg/thigh?

seriously?

get the up, limp down the court, shake that off and suck it up you ing pussy!
    It wasn’t that hit but his back. He was hurting well before that incident.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team leads the league in assists with Pop’s motion offense, since the beautiful game. Everyone gets a share of the basket off assists. It’s funny cherry picking on Lonnie’s .

FGM% Assy, McD 100%, KBD 90.9%, Keldon 81.7%, Collins 80%, Vassell 77.3%, and so on.

But if you really watch the game and not just look at the stats, you’ll know that Lonnie is far from a catch and shoot guy. He can get to the basket at will, break defense and even facilitate. Again his problem was inconsistency and weak defense.

The last 10 games Lonnie has shown great production in the tune of 18 ppg. If he can continue that throughout the remaining 13 games, it would be prudent not to offer him and just let him walk. He’s only 23 yrs old and can easily move that contract. As somebody pointed out, you don’t draft at 18 and just watch him walk when he made the turn.
    Not true and the team went away from a motion offense in the S bag/Aldridge/DeRozan era (and you claim I don't watch the games).

I don't even mean so much on this team. Given the dearth of shot creation and talent in general (which leads to inflated counting stats), almost everyone is either forced or at least thinks they are to do at least slightly more off the dribble than capable.

I'm saying, his ideal role in the league is as an off ball scorer. That's not limited to catch and shoot. There's all kinds of off ball screening actions and different ways to utilize them.

No you asserted that Lonnie needs plays run for him and is more of a off the ball scorer. You fooling yrself thats its a negative.

Being an off the ball scorer than can take advantage of a rotating defense is also a big plus.

You getting caught up on the comparisons .

I didn't say it was a positive or negative, just that it was.

It can be, if the player in question is more efficient than him. He's just not a good enough shooter.

Nah, I'm just dispelling them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any word on his injury?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any word on his injury?
    He’s had a pad, either hot or cold, on his back when on the bench for a couple of weeks now. It didn’t just happen in that last game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just rest him so he doesn’t sabotage the tank. That OKC last second heroic was a costly win

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be extremely hesitant to pull the trigger on any type of extension that commits us to Lonnie over 8-10 mil per season. I really don’t like how he has only decided to start showing some focus and putting up stats when he is fighting to get paid. He’s been so lost out there for so long, I just don’t trust it. I could easily see him reverting back after he locks up a deal.
    I would tend to agree as I've seen a lot of contract players when I was younger to learn a good lesson about that. Having said that, there is one thing I keep thinking about Lonnie's improvement this season, and that is working with Manu. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall that he worked with Manu exclusively or as much as he is now any other season, did he? If not, I think Manu may have had a very positive impact on him and these improvements could be very real rather than just contract year stuff. I like to believe that Manu is just that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would tend to agree as I've seen a lot of contract players when I was younger to learn a good lesson about that. Having said that, there is one thing I keep thinking about Lonnie's improvement this season, and that is working with Manu. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall that he worked with Manu exclusively or as much as he is now any other season, did he? If not, I think Manu may have had a very positive impact on him and these improvements could be very real rather than just contract year stuff. I like to believe that Manu is just that good.
    He’s not any better than he was earlier in the season, he’s just getting more touches and shots, higher USG%.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darko and LEBRON still has him as top 10 worst defender in the league. Did he really improve his defense? Though it would be better on the second unit but he still won't be bothered to jump on anything but dunks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker's athleticism is way more apparent on the acrobatic layups he shoots than dunks, and the height he gets on his jumpers is one of the main reasons it's such a weapon for him.

I swear folks aren't even trying to come up with good criticism. No one should think jumping high is the necessary piece to blocking shots. Dude skies for at least one contested board every game. There are reasons to criticize him, but that he only jumps to dunk has to be the worst one I've ever read.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker's athleticism is way more apparent on the acrobatic layups he shoots than dunks, and the height he gets on his jumpers is one of the main reasons it's such a weapon for him.

I swear folks aren't even trying to come up with good criticism. No one should think jumping high is the necessary piece to blocking shots. Dude skies for at least one contested board every game. There are reasons to criticize him, but that he only jumps to dunk has to be the worst one I've ever read.
    Your taking it too literal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People blame Keldon for our rebounding woes but Lonnie on/off is tops on the team by a wide margin. Meaning we get outrebounded by a lot when he is in the lineup almost triple the next guy. So yeah jump a little more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People blame Keldon for our rebounding woes but Lonnie on/off is tops on the team by a wide margin. Meaning we get outrebounded by a lot when he is in the lineup almost triple the next guy. So yeah jump a little more.
    Don't watch enough, but imagine that our rebounding is heavy from the back court and we aren't interchangeable in that fact... Just shows up much we stink at the 4/5 spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lonnie way down there wow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn we really need to get a top 6 pick this year, hit on our other two first and in 2023 get a top 3 player to turn this around

Thread Information