Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the negative reactions to this deal may be overblown. Almost certainly neither second round pick in 2023 will convey. So the incentive for the Spurs to do the deal was the 2026 swap, which is also unlikely, but at least likelier than either of the 2023 scenarios.

So basically the Spurs gave Indiana a trade exception for a small chance at a 2026 pick swap. That’s still making good use of cap space, because you get something out of nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and by the way, Indiana is more likely than San Antonio to finish in the top 5 in 2023. While neither scenario is likely, it’s more likely that the Pacers will give us a 2nd round pick in 2023 than we will to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs are a top 5 team in 2023- a second round pick swap would be so far down the list of concerns it’s remarkable how much emotional energy some have dedicated to it.

some incredibly sad individuals in this thread
    so much hysteria over a 2nd round pick when the 41st pick this year isn’t even bringing much excitement in SL, somehow a late 2nd rounder would

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in ST fashion, a lot of folks are overreacting since they love dog-piling. That can be true while it's also true that, given what we know currently, this is a bad deal the Spurs didn't need to make. Folks running in here to make it seem like "It's at worst a low second. People are stupid for being mad," are sniffing at its worst. Things don't have to be apocalyptically bad to criticize the FO. The Spurs are a mediocre team doing mediocre things. We're going to be commenting on meh-good and meh-bad things for a long time. Not every criticism of the FO has to be "met" with blind support masked as sarcastic dismissal. What the Spurs did is likely not a good thing. If it doesn't bother you, cool. There are plenty of other active threads right now. But if you're going to be in this conversation, it doesn't help to constantly misrepresent it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh lord, you know the state of this board is bad when Chinook is participating in all this sniffing vs hating on FO nonsense. Believe it or not, there's some here who go on the board who don't care about being categorized as either. Y'all can keep yelling at the sky being mad at the other group (and vice versa) and continuing this endless tug of war though.

cue the wall of paragraphs in 3...2...1...
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funnily enough, Sengun would have been perfect as scoring threat passer with McDermott.

Anyone see that nutmeg pass he dropped?

Would have been so fun to watch.
    I hope I’m wrong but this could be one of the most dumb move, next to not signing Scola. Sengun is already better than Samanic at 19 from what I’m seeing

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope I’m wrong but this could be one of the most dumb move, next to not signing Scola. Sengun is already better than Samanic at 19 from what I’m seeing
    Sam seems more interested in getting tattoos than working on his game. 18 year old Sengun already looks better than current Samanic. It's weird that Buford was so obsessed with his physical characteristics that he overlooked his lack of enthusiasm for the game of basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh lord, you know the state of this board is bad when Chinook is participating in all this sniffing vs hating on FO nonsense. Believe it or not, there's some here who go on the board who don't care about being categorized as either. Y'all can keep yelling at the sky being mad at the other group (and vice versa) and continuing this endless tug of war though.

cue the wall of paragraphs in 3...2...1...
    I don't remember the categories being something anyone chooses for themselves. Who'd voluntarily classify themselves as a sniffer? But the terms have their use. My point is that this division comes from a) people who were looking for a reason to jump on PATFO, including a guy who keeps thinking making a racist criticism is fine if the guy being targeted isn't liked and b) folks who think they have to defend everything the FO does as if happiness has to come from delusion versus introspection. Just as there is seemingly a compe ion to see who can freak out the most about Forbes coming back, there's a compe ion to see who can downplay Forbes coming back the most. It's dumb. You don't have to sniff to criticize edgelords.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam seems more interested in getting tattoos than working on his game. 18 year old Sengun already looks better than current Samanic. It's weird that Buford was so obsessed with his physical characteristics that he overlooked his lack of enthusiasm for the game of basketball
    Why do you say that? Just because he doesn't post pics of himself working out doesn't mean that he is not doing it. He had big improvement from year 1 to year 2. If he has a similar improvement this year he will be the starting 4. Unfortunately, Pop's irrational use of Samanic last year means that we don't know what we really have. I believe Samanic will be this year's Keldon Johnson.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo the level of discourse on a message board is inversely proportional to the percentage of content that is only about other posters rather than relevant topics.

I don't see a reason for the Spurs to have made this into a S&T unless they got clear, even if minor, compensation. I don't see anything clearly better about the S&T for the Spurs compared to a straight signing.

I also don't know why so many of the players the Spurs have agreed to terms with haven't signed yet. I'm guessing it's because the Spurs have renounced all the FAs except DeRozan, and there's enough cap space to sign McDermott even with DeRozan's cap hold?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so much hysteria over a 2nd round pick when the 41st pick this year isn’t even bringing much excitement in SL, somehow a late 2nd rounder would
    A late 2nd round pick can literally be purchashed for cash (a relatively small amount).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see a reason for the Spurs to have made this into a S&T unless they got clear, even if minor, compensation. I don't see anything clearly better about the S&T for the Spurs compared to a straight signing.

Right. The Spurs have 50 M cap space, they’re shopping for a shooter, he’s UFA, he looks like a player they could use, so they sign him. Tah dah. Why the heck not? Not nerdy enough, I guess.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, part of the frustration/curiosity is trying to understand what they are trying to achieve, writ large or even in what should be a seemingly boring transaction for a somewhat boring player. If he plays well, then I’m stoked. But that’s a different issue from understanding where this franchise is headed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember the categories being something anyone chooses for themselves. Who'd voluntarily classify themselves as a sniffer? But the terms have their use. My point is that this division comes from a) people who were looking for a reason to jump on PATFO, including a guy who keeps thinking making a racist criticism is fine if the guy being targeted isn't liked and b) folks who think they have to defend everything the FO does as if happiness has to come from delusion versus introspection. Just as there is seemingly a compe ion to see who can freak out the most about Forbes coming back, there's a compe ion to see who can downplay Forbes coming back the most. It's dumb. You don't have to sniff to criticize edgelords.
    No, no one chooses those categories for themselves, and that's my point. You've got two groups insistent on drawing a line in the sand and throwing rocks at anyone who isn't on their respective side. You did the same in your post when you said, "sniffing at its worst". Like no, it's not sniffing at its worst. People disliking the Forbes signing and then feeling neutral about a late second round pick is proof of that. Yes, there are people who take an extreme stance on either side. But there are people who are "politically homeless" and can give their input exclusively on a single deal and then feel another way about another. People who defend a trade/ feel neutral about a trade doesn't mean they're aligning themselves consistently on that point of view for all trades, unless your name is Atl Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo the level of discourse on a message board is inversely proportional to the percentage of content that is only about other posters rather than relevant topics.

I also don't know why so many of the players the Spurs have agreed to terms with haven't signed yet. I'm guessing it's because the Spurs have renounced all the FAs except DeRozan, and there's enough cap space to sign McDermott even with DeRozan's cap hold?
    The Spurs don't need to worry about DeRozan's hold (and indeed seem to have already renounced it), but they do need to keep about $27 Million free to give DMDR the contract Chicago agreed to. That's probably going to mean SOB and Forbes can't be signed yet. I'm pretty sure the Spurs are at least okay with giving those guys the room exception, though Forbes might be better more than that for some reason. Collins' signing is also unofficial, and it's not clear that SA isn't saving that signing to be part of the DeRozan deal. McDermott is on the books already, and Mills, Gay and Lyles are officially off the books after their signings. Locking in DeRozan at the necessary cap number, the Spurs have about $18 Million in space. About a million will go to Wieskamp is he signs a long-term deal. If he signs a two-way or two-year min deal, then he doesn't count against the cap.

So it's possible that SA is shopping that remaining cap space around looking for a taker and/or working a bigger deal. It's also possible that some of the assumptions I made in here to maximize cap space aren't true and SA doesn't have as much available. It might end up completely going away even if Collins is signed, Forbes makes to much for the RE and Wieskamp and/or KBD gets a reasonable deal. I know RGMers want Young in Portland for Collins. We'll see. But it's possible SA still has something up their sleeve, or is trying to put something there. That's more likely than anything else at this point, seeing as Chicago probably wants the deal done now.

EDIT to put in Capulator link:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?...a5f00192479123
    Last edited by Chinook; 08-10-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is not Samanich. The issue is that Sengun was clearly a special prospect, and we passed on selecting him for Primo (who looks good, but is not an obviously special prospect).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI, for what it’s worth shams’ capulator tool has the deal at $13,750,000 for each of the three years, all guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI, for what it’s worth shams’ capulator tool has the deal at $13,750,000 for each of the three years, all guaranteed.
    Deeks also still has Jeffries on the team and is for some reason still not showing White as having signed an extension last year. He usually is right with his info, but McDermott's deal could also just be a placeholder in the system. He literally just updated it this afternoon.

But definitely, it doesn't make sense to assume anything but the team being full guaranteed, and Spurs fans should hope it is.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, how the is that not racist? Go yourself.
    I know someone, a minority at that, who was in the Spurs FO and recently left for another NBA team. He himself calls Wright a diversity hire and said he's the dumbest front office person the Spurs have had since he started working there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know someone, a minority at that, who was in the Spurs FO and recently left for another NBA team. He himself calls Wright a diversity hire and said he's the dumbest front office person the Spurs have had since he started working there.
    ^ A classic example of how not to defend against an allegation of racism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, bro, you're really giving Aggies a bad name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deeks also still has Jeffries on the team and is for some reason still not showing White as having signed an extension last year. He usually is right with his info, but McDermott's deal could also just be a placeholder in the system. ...

Let me run this by you, as long as everyone is kicking rumors around. When the McDermott deal became S&T with the way it worked out, the Pacers got a trade exception. Any chance of that being a prelude to a 3-team deal involving the Spurs and somebody else, with the Pacers facilitating? Thoughts? Even worth discussing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me run this by you, as long as everyone is kicking rumors around. When the McDermott deal became S&T with the way it worked out, the Pacers got a trade exception. Any chance of that being a prelude to a 3-team deal involving the Spurs and somebody else, with the Pacers facilitating? Thoughts? Even worth discussing?
    Nah. The trade has been officially called in already. So while the Pacers can use the TE to make another trade, the McDermott deal is done as far as the Spurs are concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. The trade has been officially called in already. So while the Pacers can use the TE to make another trade, the McDermott deal is done as far as the Spurs are concerned.

Ok, got it, McDermott is done. But maybe something on that “another trade” idea?

Hypothetical: the Spurs are looking to do a deal with team X for player Y. But something about it prevents the Spurs and team X from doing the deal themselves. A third team will have to be involved, and multiple players.

So instead of just signing McDermott, the Spurs work with the Pacers on an S&T in which the Pacers get that TE. They do that to put the Pacers in position to assist on the deal between the Spurs and team X. The deal between the Spurs and team X can then proceed, for player Y, with some other player going to the Pacers, paid for with that TE.

Too far fetched? I have no names to suggest for team X and player Y.

The fiddly stuff with 2nd round picks - maybe they’ll get ours, maybe we’ll get theirs - doesn’t look satisfying as a reason for the Spurs to involve the Pacers in what could have been a direct signing of a UFA. So maybe the TE was the point? Or it could be my imagination wandering too far afield.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does it have to benefit spurs this year and not be something that pacers remember next year and scratch our backs then

Thread Information