Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

This signing is literally because we value our younger players.
    CROFL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the McDermott signing ended up worse than I thought. I didn't like the signing to begin with but his defense ended up being almost Forbesian. Definitely the bottom tier defender the advanced stats suggested he'd be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please Mr Wright unload this man in a sign and trade for Lavine and I will make sure SpursTwitter respects your name from here on out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please Mr Wright unload this man in a sign and trade for Lavine and I will make sure SpursTwitter respects your name from here on out

Unfortunately he has too much character to be traded.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like McDermott as a bench guy at 8 or 9 in the rotation. His floor spacing has value. Especially when he’s going up against other bench guys who won’t kill him on defense. But not sure you pay $14m a year for that type of floor spacing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the playoffs right now and I just do not see a place for Dougie McNoD in games like these

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see McNugget being traded to a contender like Philly, Golden State or Milwaukee. He could be really useful on the 2nd team. He's just won't make a difference on a middling team or non contender especially with his mediocre to bad defense. Maybe Brian Wright can pull off another good trade this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I’ve been McDougall’ biggest hater since day one. It won’t be easy to straight salary dump him this offseason as any teams who could outright absorb him wouldn’t be interested.

Still hope he can be used in a larger trade or we attach a few SRPs and take back a shorter contract which would probably be an equally useless player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “compe ive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding
    CROFL who on earth could have seen SA both: A) wanting to trade Doug and B) not being able to do so because hes a negative value player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid, no offense. Value contracts? Spurs missed the playoffs two years in a row and couldn’t flip any of their value deals to help improve their chances at the playoffs or accelerate their future . So how are they value contracts?

You’re lying with the mindset; plenty of us would have been plenty happy with tons of scenarios. If they traded back and got value and took Primo. A OK. If they took a projected lottery talent instead of reaching? A OK.

If in FA they didn’t sign a 29 year old player with poor defense to a 3 year deal on a rebuilding team before having other pieces in place that THEY CONTROL to make it make sense? A OK

If they would have taken on a bad deal and gotten draft picks? A OK. If they would have signed Dieng for a one year deal instead of taking a massive risk on an injured mediocre Zach Collins? A OK.

So no, you’re wrong. It’s not ST. It’s the FO that has been really really poor, built a team that couldn’t make the playoffs, ran that same team back and missed the playoffs, didn’t sell any vets when they had the chance for assets, got a get out of jail free card in a lottery pick and tons of cap space and now find themselves in an equal or worse position with regards to playoffs or rebuild despite having the assets.
    To the FO credit, the really started doing much of what a few of us have been asking them to do - so there is hope!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott is a good signing. By the career stats, he’s a better shooter than Patty, for both 2s and 3s. Shooters are expensive now.

People worry about his defense, but look at some players the Spurs are replacing. DDR, Lyles, Patty. Is he going to make the defense worse? Doubt it. Everything is relative. Further, players who shoot that well, and also defend well, are in extremely high demand, and extremely expensive.

McDermott isn’t the superstar the Spurs need. Yeah, okay. So what?

For how the McDermott S&T happened, my latest and greatest theory. Go back to when the Spurs were shopping for a shooter, with McD on their list. He was UFA so the Spurs were just looking at a simple signing, at first.

The Spurs were also thinking about how they’ll pare down to the final roster. It’s inevitable they’ll need to move somebody out, somehow. But they won’t be able to take another player at that time. No final roster decisions have been made yet, of course.

The Spurs contacted the Pacers to check on McD’s character. Good teammate, good citizen, and all that. We know the Spurs check character.

During the conversation, the Spurs also mentioned about paring down to their final roster. They asked if the Pacers would be interested in players the Spurs might cut.

The Pacers replied, yes, they’d be interested in player X if he gets cut. But there’s a problem. What about cap space to take player X when they can’t send a player to the Spurs?

But it’s noted that if the Spurs’ signing of McDermott as a UFA is changed to an S&T between the Spurs and Pacers, the Pacers can gain a $7.3 M trade exception. There’s the ability for the Pacers to take player X, when - and if - the Spurs make a final decision to move him out.

So they do it that way. They contact McDermott and he’s fine with it.

Thus, that Pacers’ TE that the Spurs helped the Pacers create, even tho the Spurs didn’t have to help the Pacers do that, provides a prearranged landing spot for a Spurs player X, when and if he doesn’t make the final Spurs roster. (And if nothing else develops in the meantime.)

So, under this theory, who is that Spurs player X? Impossible to say.

It’s iffy he’ll be on the final roster, but the way this offseason is going, it’s hard to tell what the Spurs are looking at.

The Pacers are interested in him. But for some reason unknown.

His contract price is under 7.3 M. But that’s most of the Spurs roster.

The Spurs care enough about him they don’t want to just leave him on his own, for finding another situation. But the Spurs are nice guys.

There could even be more than one possibility. So, hm.
    Lonnie in great company at 247 and two SpursTalk favorites down there in the pit as well.
    More than fine with his, especially when Duncan Robinson gets 90m for five years and Berta s for his ridiculous contract. Inky three years for a very who can stretch the floor and won't kill any of the budget that will need to be used on the young players in the coming years. A value, shrewd pick up instead of giving Markkanen more than 20 a year.

Shooting is exactly what we need and here we go.
    Two of Spurstalk’s finest…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott probably goes down like Mills and Marco, two over 30 overpays who never get traded because at their salary they were negative assets. But at least they could 'teach the Spurs way', which of course was always nonsense as a concept with those two. What can McDermott teach the young guys about the Spurs way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott probably goes down like Mills and Marco, two over 30 overpays who never get traded because at their salary they were negative assets. But at least they could 'teach the Spurs way', which of course was always nonsense as a concept with those two. What can McDermott teach the young guys about the Spurs way?
    How to get overpaid. Play the politics and you will reap the rewards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams overvalue three - point shooting from one - dimensional players like McDermott, Bertans and Duncan Robinson. The end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams overvalue three - point shooting from one - dimensional players like McDermott, Bertans and Duncan Robinson. The end.
    Lol we got two of those wrong. Over valued McD and under valued Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jury is still out on Bertans. Obviously letting him walk for nothing just to get cucked by Marcus Morris sucked...BUT he got his big contract and hasn't really done much to really write home about since. Good for some threes in garbage time but has consistently found himself getting stuck on the end of the bench.

He's the Mavericks problem now with $33M due over the next two seasons....that makes McDougle's contract seem not as bad (though it still is)
    Last edited by Dex; 09-20-2022 at 07:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can McDermott teach the young guys about the Spurs way?
    How to continually fleece drunk Grandpa?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO @ the usual dip s pissing their knickers about this contract. The team is still way under cap and it's not a big deal, you dunces. Literally has no impact on anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is still weak, can't rebound or defend either the 3 or 4 consistently, so basically not "undervalued."

Wizards signed him to a "mammoth" deal (for an one - dimensional, defensive liability) then had "buyers remorse"(like you claim the Spurs do with McDermott) and traded him for oft - injured Porzingis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is still weak, can't rebound or defend either the 3 or 4 consistently, so basically not "undervalued."

Wizards signed him to a "mammoth" deal (for an one - dimensional, defensive liability) then had "buyers remorse"(like you claim the Spurs do with McDermott) and traded him for oft - injured Porzingis.
    I’m saying we under valued him by giving him away for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jury is still out on Bertans. Obviously letting him walk for nothing just to get cucked by Marcus Morris sucked...BUT he got his big contract and hasn't really done much to really write home about since. Good for some threes in garbage time but has consistently found himself getting stuck on the end of the bench.

He's the Mavericks problem now with $33M due over the next two seasons....that makes McDougle's contract seem not as bad (though it still is)
    Bertans wasn’t a step up from McNugget. Equal in their flaws, IMO. Doug gets the slight nod for having the most fingers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans wasn’t a step up from McNugget. Equal in their flaws, IMO. Doug gets the slight nod for having the most fingers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m saying we under valued him by giving him away for nothing.
    Context……..but you’re back at it I see Good to have you back!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context……..but you’re back at it I see Good to have you back!
    Here is some context: they originally used the MLE on DeMarre Carroll whom they bought out for 99 cents on the dollar 6 months later. When Morris became available they restructured Carroll to 3yrs, 21mm so they could give Morris the MLE. In order to facilitate that Bertans had to be dumped for a TPE.

Morris absolutely fked us but PATFO holds accountability here sacrificing a young trade chip in Bertans and throwing 21mm away on Carroll, someone who basically never played for the team. If they didn’t offer a washed Carroll the MLE in the first place we could have retained Bertans and used him as a trade chip or let him walk a year later if someone was willing to overpay.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-21-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Thread Information