Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doug Marco nelli mc smfh. The spurs haven’t made 1 good free agency signing since Aldridge. What a ing joke
    Who would you rather have had them sign who signed to a contract already? It’s slim pickings in FA, and they have moves left in them.

Could be working with Collins. But unlikely as it’ll cause them to renounce everyone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest question: is $14 million for Mcdermott as 6th man good?
    If he's a team's 6th man, that team is ED. He fills a need but he shouldn't be in this team's plans if they want a rebuild. From the looks of it, they're not trying a real rebuild at all and expect to push for the playoffs next year. I hope that means we get a bigger signing. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the same old "studs" have only one way to defend this : talking about Duncan Robinson and his contract, two things that have nothing to do with San Antonio, nobody gives a about Duncan Robinson in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best and cheapest spurs could garner. Mcfckn dermott

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initial thoughts:

-I mean, value-wise it's not terrible. A quasi-starter for MLE-ish money is fine.
    -A poor defender who turns 30 in January? For a rebuilding team? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    -I don't really regard McDermott as a special three-point shooter. His volume is too low for that. He's accurate but he doesn't shoot many compared to other notable sharpshooters.
    -McDermott had a lot of success driving the ball but that skill isn't as valuable in SA where multiple younger players are better drivers.
    -So Spurs obviously see Keldon more as a power forward. McDermott would be the small forward next to KJ -- but I imagine he just defends whoever the weakest offensive player is -- whether that be the SG, SF or PF.
    -Main thought: The Spurs still have a lot of cap room. Depending on how they use it, this McDermott signing could get better or worse. You follow this up with a Collins offer sheet? Yeah, McDermott makes sense. You follow it up with re-signing Mills? OMG WTF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "McDermott as 6th man..."

Stopped reading right there. Can't wait to miss the playoffs again this year tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would you rather have had them sign who signed to a contract already? It’s slim pickings in FA, and they have moves left in them.

Could be working with Collins. But unlikely as it’ll cause them to renounce everyone else.
    id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

id rather they sign nobody instead of signing dead weight just cause you have the money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “compe ive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding
    He's not preventing them from being a bottom feeder, they were always going to sign a few veterans and presuming he avoids catastrophic injury, he should have good resale value during the life of the deal.

I wouldn't have done it, but it's not a catastrophe either.

Honest question: is $14 million for Mcdermott as 6th man good?
    Not in a vacuum, but that's not how these things work. If they offer the MLE and better teams with similar opportunity do the same, he's not signing here. And the difference between that and this isn't going to prevent them from doing anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And jesus people he is not better then duncan robinson

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao Pop sucker DPG finally seeing the light

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When McDermott came out of Creighton some thought he was a potential star.

He's pretty old now (29) but his game should age well, given how he plays, e.g., his strengths won't fade as quickly as more athletic guys.

It looks like Pop is trying to put together a great Olympic team in SA, perhaps in reaction to the actual Olympic team he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What bull , you'd be screaming and kicking that the FO doesn't make any moves and you know it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Initial thoughts:

-I mean, value-wise it's not terrible. A quasi-starter for MLE-ish money is fine.
    -A poor defender who turns 30 in January? For a rebuilding team? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    -I don't really regard McDermott as a special three-point shooter. His volume is too low for that. He's accurate but he doesn't shoot many compared to other notable sharpshooters.
    -McDermott had a lot of success driving the ball but that skill isn't as valuable in SA where multiple younger players are better drivers.
    -So Spurs obviously see Keldon more as a power forward. McDermott would be the small forward next to KJ -- but I imagine he just defends whoever the weakest offensive player is -- whether that be the SG, SF or PF.
    -Main thought: The Spurs still have a lot of cap room. Depending on how they use it, this McDermott signing could get better or worse. You follow this up with a Collins offer sheet? Yeah, McDermott makes sense. You follow it up with re-signing Mills? OMG WTF
    Mills has to be let go if this is going to make any sense.

If they throw 29 mill a year between mills and Doug then our GM is a ing re .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s fair and part of me thinks that and would prefer aggregating assets by taking on 1-2 year dead contracts.

But I do think McD can be moved down the road to a contending team for value. It’s not a bad contract at all. There are lots of those to go around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don’t pay guys like him for teams like SA, I’m sorry. He’s not young, has no upside and we aren’t competing for anything. It’s just valuing character and wanting to be “compe ive” vs truly embracing a rebuild. It’s silly middle of the road stuff even if he’s a good player.

It’s not that complicated PATFO. Spurs dont need players that aren’t difference makers and/or that dont fit the timeline of growing w/the youth. Value/Fit aside, they needed a plan. They are stuck in neutral - not truly competing or rebuilding
    To me, this signing really signals rebuild.

He's making 14 a year, which is actually pretty reasonable by today's NBA standards.

He's a decent player who will fit the program and make fans happy. We need shooting, and we need forwards. He fits that bill.

Other than that, we ain't winning a championship next year...so not sure what people are looking for. The Spurs have to spend their money on SOMETHING, and this move shows they aren't swinging for the fences, but rather going down the road of re-tooling.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just ing move to Seattle already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same people telling us the rebuild was coming in a few years 5 years ago are now telling us that signing Doug McDingleberry to a 3 year deal is somehow a rebuilding move...

PATFO doesn't know how to build a team anywhere and are just moving without direction, and the Slurpers are just happy to be along for the ride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s fair and part of me thinks that and would prefer aggregating assets by taking on 1-2 year dead contracts.

But I do think McD can be moved down the road to a contending team for value. It’s not a bad contract at all. There are lots of those to go around.
    The part about selling capspace for assets that nobody talks about is how it poisons the locker room. The Spurs, even if they end up tanking out next season, want to keep a winning culture, and bringing e.g. Love on the team with his massive salary for a couple picks would absolutely be a hit to everyone's morale.

And McD will be easily moved if need be - he's a SF/PF shooter in the modern NBA, making $14M. Chump change considering the modern cap and luxury thresholds. This is a classic case of Spurstalk jumping the gun to on the FO any chance they can. Go back to Jakob's signing thread if you want a prime example I'll never get over that one. If the same people who were saying Jak was an overpay, are saying McD is one, I'm dandy tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had his career high (31) just three months ago . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

against OKC which is a G-League team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep remembering how highly-regarded this guy was coming out of college.

He was the national college player of the year -- he won the Wooden Award (like Sean Elliot, David Robinson and Tim Duncan, if I remember correctly, which I usually don't).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the biggest signing/move of the off season. Mills, Gay and derozen will walk away and the spurs get nothing. These draft picks and signings make it seem like they somebody on the team that they are building around for but then you look at the current signed roster there is nobody there that can carry that load. Murray, white Johnson and possibly walker should start demanding trades so they can use the best years in the league to actually compete for something even if its just to make it to some conference finals thats more than they will ever experience around here with this no direction roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

against OKC which is a G-League team
    We've got some guys on this team who couldn't score 31 going against air . . .

Thread Information