Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need a spin from the Sniff Crew asap tbh.

Literally the stupidest ing FO in the league setting them back years and years
    God damn, how glad am I that the Spurs have improved past these re ed comments.

Great thread, and it's not just hindsight. It was a good signing at the time, you just had to not have your head stuck up your ass to see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inb4 Sugus, Dex, Dejounte, and Mr.Old Body tell us how we're contenders, and anyone poo-pooing this are spoiled fake fans.
    Where the did this idiot go off and die to?

Him and Gmbit been MIA for a while now....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk high reward move but probably an overpay
    High reward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a good deal knowing the Spurs didn't think their roster had any chance to win as constructed. They could totally afford to take a gamble on Collins and the time to let him grow. McDermott is a weirder signing with that logic. He made sense to help develop Murray and White, but it turns out both would be gone within a year anyway. I guess you can see some of Doug's presence Vassell, so maybe it makes sense? But it still feels like that off-season the Spurs didn't know if they could rebuild organically or if they'd have to tear down completely. I think a lot of folks either wanted them to tear down or double down (I was in the second camp), so most of us were a bit disheartened by the middle-road signings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    through the 20-21 season, simmons was an all star for 3 consecutive years having made 2 all defensive first teams at 25 yo

dont think anybody predicted how his next 2 seasons would go. its very easy to play the hindsight 20/20 game

people's reason for disliking collins wasnt that he was just a bum without skill. his injury history was the dominant factor
    You can’t counter every bad take with “well we have hindsight now and the concerns were valid”. I don’t know… maybe it’s possible to make less bad predictions by shaping the way we think going forward and it prooooobably starts with owning up to the things we say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a good deal knowing the Spurs didn't think their roster had any chance to win as constructed. They could totally afford to take a gamble on Collins and the time to let him grow. McDermott is a weirder signing with that logic. He made sense to help develop Murray and White, but it turns out both would be gone within a year anyway. I guess you can see some of Doug's presence Vassell, so maybe it makes sense? But it still feels like that off-season the Spurs didn't know if they could rebuild organically or if they'd have to tear down completely. I think a lot of folks either wanted them to tear down or double down (I was in the second camp), so most of us were a bit disheartened by the middle-road signings.
    My feeling was that we were paying Collins to rehab and he'd move on somewhere else. The money itself didn't seem like a big deal. McDermott - wasn't this the time when we went hardcore trying to get shooters? Like drafting Wieskamp. We were so poor outside we were desperate to get guys who could stretch the floor.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm lotta L’s taken in this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t counter every bad take with “well we have hindsight now and the concerns were valid”. I don’t know… maybe it’s possible to make less bad predictions by shaping the way we think going forward and it prooooobably starts with owning up to the things we say.
    Big men with multiple foot injuries don’t usually come back the way Zollins has, particularly bigs who are coveted specifically for mobility.

also can’t really predict a guy going through a mental episode like simmons did

But it’s very easy to just be a homer and approve every move then call everyone else dumb when a questionable move pans out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great thread, and it's not just hindsight. It was a good signing at the time, you just had to not have your head stuck up your ass to see it.
    Your initial reaction was “I’m in danger”
    Where's the "chuckles I'm in danger" image when you need it

Petrini reporting the Spurs are left with enough capspace to offer the other Collins a Max........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing how seriously some people take this board. We all get stuff wrong. Some of us are aggressively, consistently wrong. What does it matter? We're all just here to shoot the . But some folks seem to have a need to be popular and have to keep track of all their good and bad takes. What's the result? If poster A is wrong all the time, what's going to happen? Are they going to get banned or pinked? If Poster B has top-flight takes, do they get a cash bonus? Don't get me wrong, just like shooting the , sometimes it's relevant to bring up a person's previous takes. But some folks just seem obsessed with massaging their reputation via attempting to control their history.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only through the first few pages, but looks like CGD and baseline bum were the first few who didn't immediately slit their wrists on signing day
    LOL no, I wanted the other Collins and hated this signing. Thank god I'm not the ing GM. This team would have moved to Anaheim already or something.

me, I thought this was a troll thread when I opened it. Brian Wrong really is the 2021 David Khan. Alfredrik Hughes Era Redux it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sniff Crew going HAM because their beloved PATFO got lucky AF landing Wemby

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing how seriously some people take this board. We all get stuff wrong. Some of us are aggressively, consistently wrong. What does it matter? We're all just here to shoot the . But some folks seem to have a need to be popular and have to keep track of all their good and bad takes. What's the result? If poster A is wrong all the time, what's going to happen? Are they going to get banned or pinked? If Poster B has top-flight takes, do they get a cash bonus? Don't get me wrong, just like shooting the , sometimes it's relevant to bring up a person's previous takes. But some folks just seem obsessed with massaging their reputation via attempting to control their history.
    Not buying this point of view; humility takes a person a long way and shapes the way you treat others. Everyone has to own their …period! (At least in my world)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sniff Crew going HAM because their beloved PATFO got lucky AF landing Wemby
    Stop deflecting; own your L. You say plenty of dumb but this time you tried to play with the Bear ( around and you might get mauled )!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I shall call you muttgen moving forward Mugen with the s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last thing I'll add here (and great to see folks own up to their past opinions in a healthy, light hearted way):

This thread is also a great example of how quickly rosters turnover in this league and things change. Some of the discussion about various rosters in the league are unrecognizable now.

I might do a stat-based thread on Spurs roster turnover, just for fun.
    Well said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not buying this point of view; humility takes a person a long way and shapes the way you treat others. Everyone has to own their …period! (At least in my world)
    Patting yourself on the back when you're right and ghosting when you're wrong is the opposite of humility and what I was talking about. I used to make a thread every year where we'd all self-report our worst take from the previous season. It might be a bit too late to do it this year, though the regular season hasn't started.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony/hypocrisy of this coming from a guy who regularly gives dissertations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony/hypocrisy of this coming from a guy who regularly gives dissertations.
    I'm sure you can dig up a bunch of posts of you telling me that to show us how right you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL no, I wanted the other Collins and hated this signing. Thank god I'm not the ing GM. This team would have moved to Anaheim already or something.
    You did follow it up with this though

If he can stay healthy this is definitely worth a flier. We’re rebuilding. He's insanely underrated. He lead the entire NBA in DFG% at the rim 2/3 years he played while also being extremely mobile and switchable. Plus his shot isn't broken. He's a fantastic role player 3 and D center if he can just stay on the court. The Spurs spent $21M on Carroll recently just to cut him halfway through the season so $22M for Collins isn’t too bad. he is a lotto pick and he getting paid chump change its low risk high reward so i like it. and for crying out loud yall always complain and . Y'all are tripping man I'm hyped for Zach Collins tanking. Ayyyyyyy. We on the win culture train baby!!!!! If y’all wanna watch some bull tanking, tune into those booboo ass teams with 0 championships.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure you can dig up a bunch of posts of you telling me that to show us how right you are.
    It's either that or regurgitate the same things, but thanks for telling me what my motive was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's either that or regurgitate the same things, but thanks for telling me what my motive was.
    You're welcome. Thanks for being our resident tsundere for 14 years now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're welcome. Thanks for being our resident tsundere for 14 years now.
    I thought I cared too much about reputation, now I don't at all. Which one is it?

In addition to telling others how to comport themselves, maybe you can answer that one for me too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the folks who were massively wrong on this signing, Chinook wins for being the most readily willing to own up to it (and be happy he was wrong). I'm going to will into existence the idea that Mr. Chinook is just bad at evaluating bigs, and will be equally as wrong about Bassey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought I cared too much about reputation, now I don't at all. Which one is it?
    Asked and answered. The whole thing with tsunderes is that they act like they don't care when they do. That's how you get "I'm not here to be popular" combined with a post of all the times you were right on a topic. What makes it funnier is that that list of posts is from this off-season when we all thought Collins should get an extension but had been under the impression the max starting salary was going to be too low for him.

Like for example, in response to the first post you quoted, I said this:

Collins: I don't think they'll be anything "stealth" about this extension offer. I haven't heard what the MLE will be at, but it should be pretty close to the 40-percent bump anyway, so I could totally see them wanting to lock him down for that amount. Unless they trade him during the draft, getting him on a longer deal is just good practice. His stats are better than his performance in my mind.
    So by that time, it wasn't even a clever call or a risk. I and a few others wanted a different kind of center. We'll see how that goes, though I hope Collins is the guy. But you tooting your horn about him getting an extension when even when you started saying that the answer was "duh" is funny.

Thread Information