Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird way USA is rigging Tokyo Olympics medal tally
    Ben Graham from News.com.au
    July 28th, 2021 9:48 am

If you were an American reading about the Olympics this morning, you would very likely have a different take on which country is currently winning the medal tally to the rest of the world.

Traditionally, the ranking of nations on the table is dictated by how many gold medals a nation has.

If they are tied on gold then it goes down to how many silvers they’ve won, and then the same rule applies with bronze medals.

However, many major US publications — including NBC and the New York Times no less — have come up with their own way of ranking the world’s nations.

And — surprise, surprise — it means that a certain nation ends up on top of the table.

Looking at the rankings on several USA sites this morning, America sits firmly on top — with nine golds, eight silvers and eight bronze medals.

The logic is that Team USA has won the most overall medals.

However, this is not correct according to the official Olympics website, which shows that the real leader — as of this morning at the time of writing — is the host nation Japan.

That’s because the Olympics website — like every other medal tally outside of the USA — values gold above all else.

Japan has 10 golds, three silvers and five bronze medals — meaning they are coming first. The USA is in second and China is third.

- with AFP

---

Hilariously enough, as of this writing, China tied the US for total medal count as well, so now it also tops the US-made-up ranking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans are.a weird breed. Must always be leading even if they have to suddenly switch the way medals are counted

Were a sad little group of ppl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My nephews yesterday screamed in joy saying US is winning the olympics looking at the medal rankings.

I told them thats not how it works and they said dejected oh China is winning

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    USA doesn’t have the benefit of a state run doping scheme so I’d say messing with the tallies is fair game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how pandering and puny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA the laughingtock of the planet

when communist china mocks your "propagandaless media"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    Post Count
    Weird way USA is rigging Tokyo Olympics medal tally
    Ben Graham from News.com.au
    July 28th, 2021 9:48 am

If you were an American reading about the Olympics this morning, you would very likely have a different take on which country is currently winning the medal tally to the rest of the world.

Traditionally, the ranking of nations on the table is dictated by how many gold medals a nation has.

If they are tied on gold then it goes down to how many silvers they’ve won, and then the same rule applies with bronze medals.

However, many major US publications — including NBC and the New York Times no less — have come up with their own way of ranking the world’s nations.

And — surprise, surprise — it means that a certain nation ends up on top of the table.

Looking at the rankings on several USA sites this morning, America sits firmly on top — with nine golds, eight silvers and eight bronze medals.

The logic is that Team USA has won the most overall medals.

However, this is not correct according to the official Olympics website, which shows that the real leader — as of this morning at the time of writing — is the host nation Japan.

That’s because the Olympics website — like every other medal tally outside of the USA — values gold above all else.

Japan has 10 golds, three silvers and five bronze medals — meaning they are coming first. The USA is in second and China is third.

- with AFP

---

Hilariously enough, as of this writing, China tied the US for total medal count as well, so now it also tops the US-made-up ranking
    I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Medal count has been around forever. I guess it could be weighted for place, but who really cares?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Medal count has been around forever. I guess it could be weighted for place, but who really cares?
    Exactly.
    Its not like this is new.
    We have done this before.

So I would like the board to decide how to weight medals. 3,2,1; 5,2,1; 4,2,1 What? 8,3,0...?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL NBC and their America circle jerk. These gots are making the olympics unwatchable. First I know if I see something on at 3PM on NBC, the Americans didn't win . If I see something at 8PM I know the Americans at least got silver. Then watching the 1500 freestyle a few nights ago they had two ing commercial breaks in the middle of the race. It was only a 15 minute race, not like we're watching a marathon or something. I hope NBC is losing their ass on ratings this olympics, the amount of ads is unreal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans are.a weird breed. Must always be leading even if they have to suddenly switch the way medals are counted

Were a sad little group of ppl
    Bunch of snowflakes, tbh...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bunch of snowflakes, tbh...
    Says ST's biggest safe space poster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL NBC and their America circle jerk. These gots are making the olympics unwatchable. First I know if I see something on at 3PM on NBC, the Americans didn't win . If I see something at 8PM I know the Americans at least got silver. Then watching the 1500 freestyle a few nights ago they had two ing commercial breaks in the middle of the race. It was only a 15 minute race, not like we're watching a marathon or something. I hope NBC is losing their ass on ratings this olympics, the amount of ads is unreal.
    Definitely true.
    Very little praise for other athletes we lose to as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw...
    I saw a medal count table with total medals FOLLOWED BY a medal count based just on Gold.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I was thinking this approach seemed new, I seem to remember the rankings starting with gold even here not too long ago.

Oh well, just more America First pandering. That's the way it is when you have to cater to these sensitive and en led boomer TV audiences.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    i could not care less about who's leading but tbh I always thought the medal count included all of them (gold silver bronze) and were placed in the order of total medals. but I must have remembered incorrectly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i could not care less about who's leading but tbh I always thought the medal count included all of them (gold silver bronze) and were placed in the order of total medals. but I must have remembered incorrectly
    I have definitely seen it that way before.
    We also have/had Winter Olympics every two years. Maybe I remember it during those.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    More Olympians + Less Golds = more losers

Almost every event has an American losing. It is staggering.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    USA doesn’t have the benefit of a state run doping scheme so I’d say messing with the tallies is fair game.
    And yet when the Japanese authorities rejected the Great Simone's mind drugs she could only muster a bronze.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The world does, snowflake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking this approach seemed new, I seem to remember the rankings starting with gold even here not too long ago.

Oh well, just more America First pandering. That's the way it is when you have to cater to these sensitive and en led boomer TV audiences.

Olimpics used tk be about comle ion, rivalries and grudge matches

Now its all about sex change operations, mental issues and kneeling

Americans have kneeled so much they cant make it through their comle ions and end up on their ass

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Tbh America has been doing this for a couple of decades atleast. Basically the McDonald's of Olympic games. Quan y over Quality.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The world does, snowflake
    You sure do.

How does my not caring make me a snowflake when you're the one caring so hard?

Explain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sure do.

How does my not caring make me a snowflake when you're the one caring so hard?

Explain.
    If youndont care about which country wins the gold medal count yet you post in this thread, you are an emo mental issues snowflake, snowflake

Sorry to break it to you.

Thread Information