Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not enough... if that's the best they'd do we should pass..
    The #2 overall pick in last years draft? I mean the trade rumors last year were LMA for Wiggins/#2. We would have drafted Wiseman. Their picks aren’t going to be worth much going forward, with everyone back and healthy. The Minny ones are all expended. I guess we could ask for a FRP, but it’ll be late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thaddeus young is following the spurs on IG, he ain’t going anywhere

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The #2 overall pick in last years draft? I mean the trade rumors last year were LMA for Wiggins/#2. We would have drafted Wiseman. Their picks aren’t going to be worth much going forward, with everyone back and healthy. The Minny ones are all expended. I guess we could ask for a FRP, but it’ll be late.
    The purposed trade had is giving up DJ + Thad for Wiggins and a pick I believe...if DJ isn't included I'd take it with just Wiseman but if we're giving up DJ I'd want more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The purposed trade had is giving up DJ + Thad for Wiggins and a pick I believe...if DJ isn't included I'd take it with just Wiseman but if we're giving up DJ I'd want more.
    Like I said, their picks are going to be , and any additional players would almost certainly require more of our young assets as salary matching. Thad is a rental, so not much value there. We can’t do the deal, financially, without DJ or White, and even though it puts me in the minority here, I like White better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad the deal is done. of a haul considering DeRozan was unrestricted, the money dried up quick this summer and DeRozan had only a few realistic landing spots. The Spurs got fortunate that the Bulls went all in after the Vuc trade but still sucked so they had to go even further all in. On top of that, the Bulls have a lot of Raptors connections in their front office from DeDozan's days there.

A solid vet in Thad with positive trade value, another vet in Aminu who could theoretically become a positive asset if he bounces back, no bad apples, no money beyond this year, a first round pick that could be in the lottery and second rounders? That's an amazing trade the more I think about it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, now that this is done, do folks think there was a better S&T for DeMar out there? Let's assume all the other big signings/trades happened. Did Miami have enough to add to Iggy to entice anyone? Any folks here who wanted Luke Kennard coming back to SA? Part of me feels like it was a miracle Chicago want him, because the market doesn't seem like it broke SA's way in that regard. Even Washington, who seemed like the best backup plan, ended up giving SA something this year. That pick would've probably been the main asset going back in a DeRozan deal, with ballast like Bertans instead of Young/Aminu.
    Maybe. According to the aggregators (take with grain of salt) these were the teams with real interest: Sixers, Suns, Trail Blazers, Warriors, Celtics, Clippers, and Knicks.

Of this universe Philly could have been better to me if it landed Simmons to SAS, but I suspect the price was too high. I also think a GSW proposal would maybe been interesting, even if it meant taking on Wiggins to get assets. I don’t see the others landing Spurs a better deal than CHI sent.

The other shortly rumored scenario I wish would have been true was the WAS rumor. That made little sense after Spurs signed Doug since it eliminated the incentive to take back Bertans to unlock a juicy asset like Deni.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, their picks are going to be , and any additional players would almost certainly require more of our young assets as salary matching. Thad is a rental, so not much value there. We can’t do the deal, financially, without DJ or White, and even though it puts me in the minority here, I like White better.
    I think that’s why they would be OK to part with a pick (it’s likely in the 20s). Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t GSW gets Thads Bird Rights? Something that would help a good team retain a player they like even if they’re in tax .

Bottom line: I too would want more if you add DJ or White, especially now that it’s not the “#2 pick” but a player that looked shockingly raw notwithstanding his youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thaddeus young is following the spurs on IG, he ain’t going anywhere
    Not necessarily a bad thing bro.
    Thad is a good guy to have on the team and always an asset to other teams.

Chillax. Load a bowl and toss on some good vibes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad the deal is done. of a haul considering DeRozan was unrestricted, the money dried up quick this summer and DeRozan had only a few realistic landing spots. The Spurs got fortunate that the Bulls went all in after the Vuc trade but still sucked so they had to go even further all in. On top of that, the Bulls have a lot of Raptors connections in their front office from DeDozan's days there.

A solid vet in Thad with positive trade value, another vet in Aminu who could theoretically become a positive asset if he bounces back, no bad apples, no money beyond this year, a first round pick that could be in the lottery and second rounders? That's an amazing trade the more I think about it.
    It really is, and if either of those players are repackaged it could get better still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You forgot the best part tbh: no more DePression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could also trade Poeltl instead of White or Murray, and that would make sense to do if Wiseman is supposed to be the prize worth taking on that money. The ESPN trade machine is rejecting it, but it's wrong. Of course, you can argue that Wiggins makes too much money to be worth almost any deal, but the team doesn't HAVE to involve Murray or White if they don't want to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, now that this is done, do folks think there was a better S&T for DeMar out there? Let's assume all the other big signings/trades happened. Did Miami have enough to add to Iggy to entice anyone? Any folks here who wanted Luke Kennard coming back to SA? Part of me feels like it was a miracle Chicago want him, because the market doesn't seem like it broke SA's way in that regard. Even Washington, who seemed like the best backup plan, ended up giving SA something this year. That pick would've probably been the main asset going back in a DeRozan deal, with ballast like Bertans instead of Young/Aminu.
    I can't imagine there was a better deal, tbh. This deal fits with earlier reports that the Spurs were telling other team they had an unbeatable offer on the table for DeRozan. The Heat supposedly gave up hope after hearing the details.

If the Wizards wanted to put Bertans contract in trade, they would have needed to add like three first rounders to match the Bulls trade, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still waiting for RGM to update with the first-rounder protections. It has the two second-rounders on there already. I'd like for the Spurs do to a deal with SAC for their second so all that swap goes away, but whatever. If the pick is indeed unprotected in 2028, I'm with you on it being a very good deal. If it becomes seconds in 2028, I'm not as big of a fan, and if it turns out it's heavily protected, I'm closer to neutral. The seconds are basically fair value for Aminu, and while I like Young just fine, I'm not banking on him being worth the trouble of trading DeRozan on his own. That first really needs to come through

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that’s why they would be OK to part with a pick (it’s likely in the 20s). Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t GSW gets Thads Bird Rights? Something that would help a good team retain a player they like even if they’re in tax .

Bottom line: I too would want more if you add DJ or White, especially now that it’s not the “#2 pick” but a player that looked shockingly raw notwithstanding his youth.
    19 YO big man looks shockingly raw.

Yes, they’d have Thad’s Bird rights, but he’s still unrestricted. They’re trying to shed payroll, not jack it up. The problem with super teams is that eventually, there’s no fat left to cut, it’s flesh and bone. They’ve had to say goodbye to The likes of Iggy and Shaun Livingston. I doubt they’ll keep Thad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot the best part tbh: no more DePression.
    I was just about to edit the post to add that part in.

The Spurs got all that for a player I didn't even want them to re-sign. I was perfectly okay with DeRozan walking for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could also trade Poeltl instead of White or Murray, and that would make sense to do if Wiseman is supposed to be the prize worth taking on that money. The ESPN trade machine is rejecting it, but it's wrong. Of course, you can argue that Wiggins makes too much money to be worth almost any deal, but the team doesn't HAVE to involve Murray or White if they don't want to.
    I have to confess, I was thinking Poetl would be really good on the Warriors. Provided Klay comes back similar to what he was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't imagine there was a better deal, tbh. This deal fits with earlier reports that the Spurs were telling other team they had an unbeatable offer on the table for DeRozan. The Heat supposedly gave up hope after hearing the details.

If the Wizards wanted to put Bertans contract in trade, they would have needed to add like three first rounders to match the Bulls trade, IMO.
    Yeah, I'm assuming the Spurs took the best deal out of the teams DMDR was willing to sign with. I think the Heat were offering Precious, so it would've been interesting to see how they would've gotten Lowry otherwise, but Iggy's a much worse contract than Young. They also would've been looking at directing someone to SA via S&T like Duncan Robinson or Nunn. I like Achiuwa, so maybe I wouldn't've hated that part. But I'm also glad Robinson isn't earning that kind of money in SA.

PATFO brought back Forbes, so they might've considered Davis to be a positive asset. They probably wouldn't signed McDermott, so that's some money saved. If he's basically buoyant salary-wise, Washington could've beat the seconds Chicago sent and used Hutchison as the remaining filler. The issue would be that they protected their Houston (now OKC) pick pretty heavily, so in order to beat an eventual unprotected 2028 pick from Chicago, they'd need to trade their own pick unprotected. Or they could've provided one of their young players. As I said, I'm glad it worked out this way since SA got to get Washington's best pick and the Chicago deal. But they also have McDermott and Aminu instead of Bertans for about the same money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to confess, I was thinking Poetl would be really good on the Warriors. Provided Klay comes back similar to what he was.
    In a world without Draymond, Poeltl would be fantastic for the Warriors. In the modern NBA, though, both bigs being unable to shoot is a big deal. We'll see. Before this influx of expirings, I thought Murray and Poeltl for Wiseman and Wiggins could make sense. Now, GS doesn't seem like a good trading partner yet unless the deal is smaller than Wiggins' contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still waiting for RGM to update with the first-rounder protections. It has the two second-rounders on there already. I'd like for the Spurs do to a deal with SAC for their second so all that swap goes away, but whatever. If the pick is indeed unprotected in 2028, I'm with you on it being a very good deal. If it becomes seconds in 2028, I'm not as big of a fan, and if it turns out it's heavily protected, I'm closer to neutral. The seconds are basically fair value for Aminu, and while I like Young just fine, I'm not banking on him being worth the trouble of trading DeRozan on his own. That first really needs to come through
    Yes, that's pretty damn important. I love the trade assuming Hollinger's report of the protections was accurate (top 10, top 8, top 8). If it turns into second rounders after that it'd be a little bit of a letdown but it'd be unlikely for any team to remain that bad for three years -- especially a big market team like the Bulls with some strong, young players in place. It looks like their post-Jordan malaise is finally over so I expect them to stay out of the cellar for a while.

If the are stronger protections on that pick, then I'll have to reassess.

But, yeah, the Spurs got lucky that the Bulls were so desperate in what turned out to be a lukewarm environment. Chicago was damn dumb to do this trade, IMO, but they owe Orlando a first round pick only protected for the top four so they have to do all they can to add talent. LaVine and Vucevic were obviously not enough to pull them out of the bottom of the East. Overpaying DeRozan and giving away arguably their most impactful player last year AND losing another first round pick? Oof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just about to edit the post to add that part in.

The Spurs got all that for a player I didn't even want them to re-sign. I was perfectly okay with DeRozan walking for nothing.
    They had to do that though to even break even on the off season as a whole. When viewed in total, SA started with 50M in cap space + 12th pick. Given that how would you rate:

Forbes
    Zach Collins (possibly 3 fully guaranteed years)
    29 Year Old Doug on 3 full years (it appears)
    Thad
    Aminu
    Primo
    Wieskamp
    Jock
    2 2nds
    Top 10 protected 1st

I’d argue that’s shockingly mediocre to bad give the cir stances and flexibility they had to really help their future. Even if In isolation the deal with the Bulls was better than expected given cir stances

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not wrong. We’re out of caproom, and that has us taking back $7.5M more than we send out. Even throwing in Quan and Eubanks isn’t enough. We’d have to throw in ANOTHER young asset like a Lonnie Walker to balance it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had to do that though to even break even on the off season as a whole. When viewed in total, SA started with 50M in cap space + 12th pick. Given that how would you rate:

Forbes
    Zach Collins (possibly 3 fully guaranteed years)
    29 Year Old Doug on 3 full years (it appears)
    Thad
    Aminu
    Primo
    Wieskamp
    Jock
    2 2nds
    Top 10 protected 1st
    I wanna see details of the Zollins contract. That's pretty important. I'm also hoping Jock's under control for two years and Forbes for, uh, one year. Wieskamp as a two-way would be a win, as would Jeffries. Bringing back KBD would be nice.

It's not a great summer so far (far from it) but it's been okay-ish -- especially weighing it against scenarios where the Spurs gave multi-year contracts to their UFA vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanna see details of the Zollins contract. That's pretty important. I'm also hoping Jock's under control for two years and Forbes for, uh, one year. Wieskamp as a two-way would be a win, as would Jeffries. Bringing back KBD would be nice.

It's not a great summer so far (far from it) but it's been okay-ish -- especially weighing it against scenarios where the Spurs gave multi-year contracts to their UFA vets.
    Probably need to take into account losing Mills, Gay, DDR, and Lyles, (maybe even Eubanks). Considering Spurstalk were against all those players, surely it's just a win. I don't get the moaning on this board. They thought losing them would be addition to the subtraction. They got what they wish for and got better fits around their youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That’s how I view it overall. They wasted an opportunity to really show something good and cohesive but they did the bare minimum things they needed to do right: 3 vets gone + no ridiculous long term big money to someone other than John Collins had he been available

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can say zero years. It's okay. We won't judge.

If only it were possible.

Thread Information