Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes has to be atleast a two year deal. Hopefully zollins is only two years fully guaranteed along with jock,and then i can deal with mcdermoot being three full seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not wrong. We’re out of caproom, and that has us taking back $7.5M more than we send out. Even throwing in Quan and Eubanks isn’t enough. We’d have to throw in ANOTHER young asset like a Lonnie Walker to balance it out.
    It only has to match up to 80 percent, and 33 is more than 80 percent of 40.

Also, the Spurs aren't over the cap and can easily choose to get under by enough to do this trade with cap space (which they absolutely shouldn't given they'd just be wasting flexibility. Collins' assumed signing doesn't actually affect the cap, which is why the Spurs are able to turn around and aggregate Young and Aminu despite them already "using" the RE on guys. Plus, their "young asset" could actually be Huchison, who could actually be included in the deal while giving the Spurs the flexibility they need to trade for Collins, giving them even more cap space to make moves.

So

Hutch, Aminu, Young, Poeltl to GS
    Wiggins. Wiseman and Collins to SA
    Cash from GS to POR

That's a legal trade SA could do, WHILE still using about $10 Million in cap space to do something else. The NBA cap is weird.
    Last edited by Chinook; 08-11-2021 at 08:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's pretty damn important. I love the trade assuming Hollinger's report of the protections was accurate (top 10, top 8, top 8). If it turns into second rounders after that it'd be a little bit of a letdown but it'd be unlikely for any team to remain that bad for three years -- especially a big market team like the Bulls with some strong, young players in place. It looks like their post-Jordan malaise is finally over so I expect them to stay out of the cellar for a while.

If the are stronger protections on that pick, then I'll have to reassess.
    2025 first round draft pick from Chicago
    Starting two years after Chicago conveys a 1st round pick to Orlando or in 2025 after its obligation expires, Chicago's 1st round pick to San Antonio protected for selections 1-10 in the first year, 1-8 in the second year and 1-8 in the third year; if these picks each fall within its protected range and are therefore not conveyed, then Chicago will instead convey its 2028 2nd round pick to San Antonio [Chicago-San Antonio, 8/11/2021]
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

That it becomes just the one second if not conveyed is definitely not what I wanted. It's not the hardest thing to stay in the top eight for two years, especially if you're decompressing from "going for it" for a few years. It still isn't a horrible deal, but it's "just good" rather than "very good" now. If the Spurs were straight trading DeRozan, I wouldn't be happy. But if Young is a keeper or bring back a good asset, then I can't say the Spurs got screwed over too badly for just facilitating a signing and taking on some expiring salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

That it becomes just the one second if not conveyed is definitely not what I wanted. It's not the hardest thing to stay in the top eight for two years, especially if you're decompressing from "going for it" for a few years. It still isn't a horrible deal, but it's "just good" rather than "very good" now. If the Spurs were straight trading DeRozan, I wouldn't be happy. But if Young is a keeper or bring back a good asset, then I can't say the Spurs got screwed over too badly for just facilitating a signing and taking on some expiring salary.
    Good find, thanks.

Yeah, it would have been really sweet if it became unprotected in year 4 but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Given the Bulls cir stances of LaVine, Pat Will and Ball all being young (Vucevic is only 30, too) and Reinsdorf being 85 (a new owner wouldn't be cool with another prolonged tank), I just don't think it's likely at all that the Spurs miss out on a first rounder given those pick protections. I'd say there's like a >95% chance the pick conveys before the fourth year, so I don't think this revelation changes much in the equation. Additionally, the Spurs have Chicago's 2025 second round pick so they have a little bit of a sneaky protection built-in to this trade. If the Bulls' first rounder doesn't convey in 2025, that means the Spurs get a pick in the 30s in 2025 for the trouble of waiting. Worst case scenarios are then a pick in the 30s in 2025 and then what should also be a high pick in the second round in 2028.

(Obviously the timeline could change if the Bulls don't convey their 2023 first rounder to the Magic -- but that is only protected 1-4 so you'd assume DeRozan could do the Spurs a favor a keep the Bulls out of the basement for a couple years.)

For this first rounder alone, I really like this trade for the Spurs. Young and the second rounders are icing on the cake. Even Aminu, a player the Spurs previously targeted, is better than the usual salary matching flotsam that teams are sometimes forced to take on.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad young being rerouted to Phoenix?
    If it's for Saric/Jalen Smith, then a hard pass. First, it'd be comical to add even more players to a roster that's already bloated. Saric is going to consume cap space for the next two years and won't be ready to play until next season at the earliest. Smith is not an appealing enough prospect to make that dead money worth it without a 1st attached. I'd rather just keep Thad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's for Saric/Jalen Smith, then a hard pass. First, it'd be comical to add even more players to a roster that's already bloated. Saric is going to consume cap space for the next two years and won't be ready to play until next season at the earliest. Smith is not an appealing enough prospect to make that dead money worth it without a 1st attached. I'd rather just keep Thad.
    I’m with you. I like Thad and that is a hard position to fill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say that's significant because it allowed SA to have a bit more cap space, but obviously he's gone already, so Thad and AFA are the ones affect the cap space. At no point in the off-season did SA need the deal to be smaller. But it might give Chicago some room under the hard cap that they needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remain impressed that the Spurs got value for DeRozan instead of nothing while delivering him to a team he wants to play for. A good bit of business all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t look now but Demar is having a carrer highs, he just scored 37 pts from 15-20 fg, 7 rebounds and 2 assists in last nights win over Celtics. Bulls are 6-1 and tops the East

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t look now but Demar is having a carrer highs, he just scored 37 pts from 15-20 fg, 7 rebounds and 2 assists in last nights win over Celtics. Bulls are 6-1 and tops the East
    you dont say

Last edited by slick'81; 11-02-2021 at 09:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar always has All World stretches every year. It won’t last, and it won’t be there at any time when it matters.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao Demar has attempted 4 3ptrs in 3 games already this year

during his three seasons with the spurs he shot 4 or more 3s -- 7 times

Believe.
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yall tried to hold this man down. MVP candidate this year, watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best players of the season so far, per @Alberto de Roa‘s Global Rating:
    1. Jimmy Butler
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. DEMAR DEROZAN – 2:40 AM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

An observer could even get the idea it's better to play beside Zach LaVine than Bryn Forbes. Whoda thunk. BTW, Lavine and DDR have scored exactly the same number of points through the first 7 games: 179 for each of them. A little trivia there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If demar gets an all-star nod this season in chi-town, then call me a believer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd think people would learn by now to quit overreacting to early season Derozan. Can't believe some people are missing him because he won a RS game and had nice stats

It won't last. There was a season where he started out like prime Kobe averaging like 30/6/6 over the first couple months of the season. Yall already know how that turned out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If demar gets an all-star nod this season in chi-town, then call me a believer
    We all know it. That don’t look good to potential FA’s how players are seemingly snubbed at AS selections playing for the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is a good player, and the folks who seriously thought it was addition by subtraction are very likely going to be disappointed. Being flawed is not the same thing as being bad. Just because he wasn't enough by himself doesn't mean that he was easy to replace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the offer was Demar (plus picks) for Simmons was true, Philly would be regretting they didn’t take that offer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the offer was Demar (plus picks) for Simmons was true, Philly would be regretting they didn’t take that offer.
    Meh wait until March. DeRozan always looks good in the early season then fades.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also LOL busting a nut over a November game against the Celtics, who are dog this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He put up games like this for the Spurs but no one noticed.

If he was on SA's books for $81MM guaranteed over three years this place would be talking about what a dumbass POS Wright and the entire front office was to do that deal.

Chicago has had a favorable schedule and some breaks go their way so far. He'll still fade when it counts most. It there's a good enough supporting cast around him they might carry him through that, but in San Antonio he was not a good fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar could average a 50 pts triple double for all I care. He isn't a winning player and never will. Any team that features him is gonna be a perennial pretender. Not even as a third of 4th banana. Heck, given his lack of shooting and defense, he can't even be part of a championship team as a role player.

Thread Information