Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad is ballin, and his advanced stats are on fire. He plays winning basketball, and some contender will notice, and cough up a first rounder for him. It doesn’t have to be this year or next. The pick we got from Chicago is in 2025, and Im totally fine with another puck that far out.
    I'd be happy with any first as well but it'd be difficult :

Lakers - earliest first they can trade is 2027 and besides they don't have the ballast contracts either to make a deal work
    Clippers - earliest first they can trade is 2028
    Utah - earliest is 2026 if they convey firsts both to Memphis and OKC at the earliest possible time ( which seems likely tbh )
    Warriors - they have the picks, but don't have the ballast contracts
    Suns - they can trade their 2024 first if they convey this year's to OKC, thus the multiple links as back as preseason. It depends on how the Spurs see Saric.
    Denver - earliest would be 2027 if they convey both firsts to OKC and Orlando at the earliest possible time
    Nets - earliest is 2028
    Bucks - no picks to trade
    Philly - they have picks but will likely wait for the Simmons situation to be resolved first
    Heat - possibly a first as early as 2025 but they also don't have the contracts to make a deal work

So, basically, while not impossible, it'd still be very complicated to get any first for Young unless some unsuspected team gets desperate. For example Portland blew away a first for Larry Nance, who's hardly a better player than Thad, although he's signed through next season. Memphis also have 2 additional firsts this season ( LAL, UTAH ) that they won't really need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young is like Taj Gibson and other players. When he came in, I didn't expect a longtime savvy pro to be the result. Too bad so many teams are leveraged to the gills and have no assets. Some have suggested a good platoon guy like him could have won the Suns the chip last year. I can see why. A few plays won here or there tips games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeat it with me: Thad is not going to play any minutes at PF.

he hasn’t spent a second at that position since he came here. It’s not going to happen. He’s a center now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad is ballin, and his advanced stats are on fire. He plays winning basketball, and some contender will notice, and cough up a first rounder for him. It doesn’t have to be this year or next. The pick we got from Chicago is in 2025, and Im totally fine with another puck that far out.
    The Spurs should actually prefer picks that are farther out. The roster is a bit of a logjam in the near term, especially with space in near future and flexibility, plus a high first likely being added next year.

If the core guys develop, picks in the 2025-2026 range will be near term and if they turn out to be late firsts, can be used as small trade chips to help buttress the roster. If they’re lottery picks, all the better.

Keep featuring Thad and hope someone bites.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. DDR’s style of play limited those around him to specific roles, standing around being a common one. I still like DDR, basically, and wonder how we could have utilized him better, but it’s not a complete coincidence that DDR’s exit, along with Patty, Rudy, and LMA, to be fair, has resulted in younger players expanding their games.
    Toronto utilized him best and they always collapsed in the playoffs due to his horrible games and disappearing acts... He needs to be on a team like the bulls where he is the third or 4th important player... Anywhere he is the leader or 2nd option is destined to collapse when playoff time comes

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only the Lakers had the right contracts to trade back, I would totally target their 2027 first. They could very well be bottom-feeders again by then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only the Lakers had the right contracts to trade back, I would totally target their 2027 first. They could very well be bottom-feeders again by then.
    Well yeah but no one is trading a pick that far away without heavy protections for a non superstar.

Btw, does anyone know ( Chinook ? ) what happens with picks that far in the future that are protected after the 7 year limit? Say, a team trade their 2028 first with lottery protections, can they protect their 2029 pick as well even though they can't trade it? Do they turn into 2nds or something?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto utilized him best and they always collapsed in the playoffs due to his horrible games and disappearing acts... He needs to be on a team like the bulls where he is the third or 4th important player... Anywhere he is the leader or 2nd option is destined to collapse when playoff time comes
    I don’t disagree. On our team, making him the point guard to drive and kick was my hope for what they’d do given that he was already here and we had to use him somehow. To clarify, I thought trading for him put us years behind in trying a failed experiment. I simply wanted the experiment to have a chance given what lemons we as fans were given.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should actually prefer picks that are farther out. The roster is a bit of a logjam in the near term, especially with space in near future and flexibility, plus a high first likely being added next year.

If the core guys develop, picks in the 2025-2026 range will be near term and if they turn out to be late firsts, can be used as small trade chips to help buttress the roster. If they’re lottery picks, all the better.

This is the right way of looking at things. Try to target teams that will likely be bad in the latter part of the decade. Phoenix, Los Angeles Lakers. Only if they could match the salary, but can't.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah but no one is trading a pick that far away without heavy protections for a non superstar.

Btw, does anyone know ( Chinook ? ) what happens with picks that far in the future that are protected after the 7 year limit? Say, a team trade their 2028 first with lottery protections, can they protect their 2029 pick as well even though they can't trade it? Do they turn into 2nds or something?
    You're right about a pick probably being protected, but the Lakers have a history of doing dumb things when they're desperate. Couldn't hurt to give them a call.

Chinook will know better than I, but iirc the Stepien Rule says a team can't make a trade that could potentially leave them with no first-round pick in back-to-back future drafts. So even if a future pick is protected, the possibility of it conveying prevents that team from trading their first in the prior or subsequent draft years.

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that so don't take my answer as definitive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy with any first as well but it'd be difficult :

Lakers - earliest first they can trade is 2027 and besides they don't have the ballast contracts either to make a deal work
    Clippers - earliest first they can trade is 2028
    Utah - earliest is 2026 if they convey firsts both to Memphis and OKC at the earliest possible time ( which seems likely tbh )
    Warriors - they have the picks, but don't have the ballast contracts
    Suns - they can trade their 2024 first if they convey this year's to OKC, thus the multiple links as back as preseason. It depends on how the Spurs see Saric.
    Denver - earliest would be 2027 if they convey both firsts to OKC and Orlando at the earliest possible time
    Nets - earliest is 2028
    Bucks - no picks to trade
    Philly - they have picks but will likely wait for the Simmons situation to be resolved first
    Heat - possibly a first as early as 2025 but they also don't have the contracts to make a deal work

So, basically, while not impossible, it'd still be very complicated to get any first for Young unless some unsuspected team gets desperate. For example Portland blew away a first for Larry Nance, who's hardly a better player than Thad, although he's signed through next season. Memphis also have 2 additional firsts this season ( LAL, UTAH ) that they won't really need.
    Playoff teams that might be interested: Dallas 2025. Miami 2025. New York is pick rich, with all of their firsts, and this years first from Charlotte, and next year’s Dallas first rounder. Utah in 2026. Portland 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, a team can't protect a pick beyond the seven-year limit. That's why the Chicago pick becomes a second in 2028 if not conveyed. That's also why you get picks like the 2012 Wolves pick that finally conveyed after being protected forever. In this case, the hypothetical team would have to trade 2028 unprotected or have it become seconds, and then 2029 would be off limits until next off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR with another monster game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR with another monster game.
    thanks for the reminder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people would have been SO unhappy if the Spurs had re-signed him.

We literally won’t know the outcome of this trade for somewhere between 4 and 8 years, depending on if/when the pick conveys, plus development time. It would actually be a disaster if Chicago tanked, since the pick protections are top 10/8/8 and if not conveyed, it becomes a second rounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We literally won’t know the outcome of this trade for somewhere between 4 and 8 years, depending on if/when the pick conveys, plus development time. It would actually be a disaster if Chicago tanked, since the pick protections are top 10/8/8 and if not conveyed, it becomes a second rounder.
    the pick is so far off odds are chi is rebuilding by then. Its a gamble for sure. Hopefully it works out and spurs get a first outta it or else its a pretty meh trade overall

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the pick is so far off odds are chi is rebuilding by then. Its a gamble for sure. Hopefully it works out and spurs get a first outta it or else its a pretty meh trade overall
    2025 will be the year after DeMar’s current contract expires.I think a lot depends on what Lavine does.

I think their pick in 2023 heading to Orlando probably will convey since it’s top 4 protected, and DeRozan alone should be able to lift them higher than that, so we probably get 3 shots at the Chicago FRP. If Lavine re-signs, we’ll probably get the FRP one of those 3 years. If Both DD and Lavine move on, we’re probably screwed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wouldn’t be as much of a logjam if we traded White just to get him off the books and let Walker walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    justifiably so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR was carrying this team. I hope people realize that now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When is this group ever happy? Honestly. People ed during the golden years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    carrying the team to purgatory

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we need to wait at least until the ASG to make that determination. We’ve had a brutally difficult schedule, lost more than a few close games, and our defensive anchor has been on protocols for half the season to date, 6/13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is this group ever happy? Honestly. People ed during the golden years.
    I was hilariously un-surprised to come back to SpursTalk after a while and see the same old suspects, having ed about the team fighting for a playoff spot for years instead of tanking "like they should have always done", are still unhappy and complaining, because now the Spurs aren't tanking their way, not playing this or that rookie more minutes and overplaying this or that other guy.

It's actually impressive, the energy it takes to consistently find things to about. I said a while ago that this portion of ST wouldn't be able to handle an actual tank, and it's spot on, they're already not handling this well, and we're not even "tanking". Such is life...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me, I’m just genuinely happy for Demar since he’s a good character, especially being snubbed by the AS and ESPN the last couple of years, for what it’s worth. That despite playing equally efficient with the Spurs, albeit Bulls are winning. But that shows again how media treats players playing for the Spurs, and why FA would rather not sign with the Spurs because of the enigma. It’s like signing a death contract. Heck even our TP and Manu with their accolades didn’t make the Best 75 All Time Greatest, and I’m even starting to doubt if both would be 1st Ballot Hofer. But that’s for another thread.
    Last edited by John B; 11-15-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Thread Information