Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the spurs were tied in the 10th seed? I was still here.
    Wait... U do realize we went to the lottery in back to back years with DeMar, right? We definitely aren't worse... We are at LEAST the same, except with a brighter future now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait... U do realize we went to the lottery in back to back years with DeMar, right? We definitely aren't worse... We are at LEAST the same, except with a brighter future now
    His play with the Bulls is coloring posters memories of that Spurs run. I'm still trying to figure out the 3pt numbers. DeRozan took 74 attempts the entire year with San Antonio. In roughly half the Chicago games, he's at 67 attempts.

Is popovich the one who steered him away from that shot? I think not because we all saw him pass wide open 3s and take a step on the line for 2pt attempts.

In his last 29 Spurs games he made one 3pt shot. ONE. Now's he magically winning games every night with that shot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His play with the Bulls is coloring posters memories of that Spurs run. I'm still trying to figure out the 3pt numbers. DeRozan took 74 attempts the entire year with San Antonio. In roughly half the Chicago games, he's at 67 attempts.

Is popovich the one who steered him away from that shot? I think not because we all saw him pass wide open 3s and take a step on the line for 2pt attempts.

In his last 29 Spurs games he made one 3pt shot. ONE. Now's he magically winning games every night with that shot.
    I remember hearing him talk about Pop telling him to stay away from the 3-point shot while he was here. Pop wanted to maximize his mid-range game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember hearing him talk about Pop telling him to stay away from the 3-point shot while he was here. Pop wanted to maximize his mid-range game.
    It actually wasn't like that.

DeRozan talked about how, in Toronto, for his last couple years there, there had been a lot of emphasis from coaching and all areas of the team, to get him to expand his game out to the 3pt line (you can go and see his increasing amounts of 3PA while on the Raps, he was taking something like 5-6 3PA his last season there, of course with awful efficiency). And how once he got to SanAn, Pop did the opposite, and just told him to "play his game" without making an emphasis on what that was, and instead focus on helping the team, making plays for others while mixing it up with scoring, etc.

This, given DDR's game, naturally resulted in him not forcing (or taking) 3's. But Pop at no time told him to "stay away from the 3pt line" or anything like that (as far as we know, at least). Of course, you can argue given the modern NBA landscape, this was bad advice or bad coaching, but alas.

Also, people are getting carried in the moment with both his game winners being 3's, which is merely a coincidence (he even said his first game winner was pure luck, since he hadn't realized there was so little time on the clock, and had to throw up a prayer). He's not shooting significantly more 3's than he ever has in his career, nor shooting them particularly more efficiently than he ever did. There's little doubt that he'll regress to his comfort zone come playoff time. The only difference this year is that he might just finally have the team around him to relieve him of "shooting duties" and let him play his game on a spaced-out floor.

Regardless, the trade was perfectly good for both parties, still. I'm glad for DeRozan and hold him no ill-will, but also, good riddance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genuinely happy for DDR.

All of these can be true at the same time:
    1. He’s a very good player
    2. He’s not a first option on a championship team
    3. The Spurs are worse without him
    4. Him leaving was a good long term decision for all parties

It’s OK to praise him when he’s playing so well and not be bitter about it and cite his playoff shortcomings. He’s a good dude too.
    EXACTLY!!!!!

The Bulls have better and more complementary parts around Demar than we did when he was here. Not to mention he is playing with two other All Star caliber players in their prime. He shouldn’t and will not be expected to fully carry the offensive load for the Bulls in the playoffs just like he hasn’t in the regular season for them.

they should at the very least make it to the second round of the playoffs barring injuries or COVID-19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    derozan still being here just means vassell would see a lot less playing time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DeRozan talked about how, in Toronto, for his last couple years there, there had been a lot of emphasis from coaching and all areas of the team, to get him to expand his game out to the 3pt line (you can go and see his increasing amounts of 3PA while on the Raps, he was taking something like 5-6 3PA his last season there, of course with awful efficiency). And how once he got to SanAn, Pop did the opposite, and just told him to "play his game" without making an emphasis on what that was, and instead focus on helping the team, making plays for others while mixing it up with scoring, etc.

This, given DDR's game, naturally resulted in him not forcing (or taking) 3's. But Pop at no time told him to "stay away from the 3pt line" or anything like that (as far as we know, at least). Of course, you can argue given the modern NBA landscape, this was bad advice or bad coaching, but alas.

Also, people are getting carried in the moment with both his game winners being 3's, which is merely a coincidence (he even said his first game winner was pure luck, since he hadn't realized there was so little time on the clock, and had to throw up a prayer). He's not shooting significantly more 3's than he ever has in his career, nor shooting them particularly more efficiently than he ever did. There's little doubt that he'll regress to his comfort zone come playoff time. The only difference this year is that he might just finally have the team around him to relieve him of "shooting duties" and let him play his game on a spaced-out floor.

Regardless, the trade was perfectly good for both parties, still. I'm glad for DeRozan and hold him no ill-will, but also, good riddance.
    The bottom line is Pop did not tell him to shoot 3's whereas other coaches in the current NBA would have told him that he needs to increase his 3-point attempts.

Also, if you check my other posts thread, I also feel the same way that you do about Derozan leaving. I have stated several times the Spurs were going to go nowhere with him beyond maybe being an 8th seed so there was no point in keeping him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is Pop did not tell him to shoot 3's whereas other coaches in the current NBA would have told him that he needs to increase his 3-point attempts.

Also, if you check my other posts thread, I also feel the same way that you do about Derozan leaving. I have stated several times the Spurs were going to go nowhere with him beyond maybe being an 8th seed so there was no point in keeping him.
    You can't just say "the bottomline is X" when you literally said Y before I corrected you into X, lmao. Yes, as I said, you can call Pop's advice bad coaching or whatever - but he definitely didn't prevent DeRozan from shooting 3's whatsoever. That's a personal decision for him and how he approaches his game - and there's a significant difference there (which the Bulls will, too, learn about, once his 3PA plummets in the playoffs).

Totally agree on the rest, brother. No point in keeping him and the Spurs are (long-term) better for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The west is worst. We are worst. And last year lma didn't play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs got young tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading DeRozan was a good move for everyone involved-- for DeRozan, for the Spurs, for the Bulls. I'm glad it worked out. Well, maybe not for Thad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation: Pop was wine drunk almost always and brokered my next pay day.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-05-2022 at 11:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not shooting significantly more 3's than he ever has in his career, nor shooting them particularly more efficiently than he ever did.

36.2% with Bulls is by far the best trey % Derozan has had.
    2.2 attempts per game more then doubles nearly triples his Spurs attempts and is 2nd highest season in his entire career.

Great coaching job when Derozan was a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

(you can go and see his increasing amounts of 3PA while on the Raps, he was taking something like 5-6 3PA his last season there, of course with awful efficiency). And how once he got to SanAn, Pop did the opposite, and just told him to "play his game" without making an emphasis on what that was, and instead focus on helping the team, making plays for others while mixing it up with scoring, etc.

3.6 trey attempts per game.
    31% was an increase from the year before and the 2nd best DD % in 9 years in Toronto.

DD dropped to
    15%
    25%
    25%
    in 3 years as a Spurs under Popped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

36.2% with Bulls is by far the best trey % Derozan has had.
    2.2 attempts per game more then doubles nearly triples his Spurs attempts and is 2nd highest season in his entire career.

Great coaching job when Derozan was a Spur.
    By far? Lol. He shot 33.8% in '15-16. Only 2% increase, which is further downplayed by the fact that he's got a MUCH better team around him and has to shoulder far less weight of carrying the offense, and far less targeting by defenses, is by far to you?

Second highest in his career, meaning he was already taking a lot of 3's in previous seasons, exactly like I said? Good to know tbh

3.6 trey attempts per game.
    31% was an increase from the year before and the 2nd best DD % in 9 years in Toronto.

DD dropped to
    15%
    25%
    25%
    in 3 years as a Spurs under Popped.
    So it was pretty much like that, except it was 3-4 instead of 5-6 3PA per game that they were making DeRozan take? I didn't specify any one year re: efficiency since I clearly didn't bother checking the stats, but I was sure it was below league average, and lo and behold, I was right. What sad attempt at rebuking me is this?

Your blind hatred of Pop clouds your judgment, Troll. You didn't understand what I said and ended up proving me right. I never said DDR didn't shoot less 3's as a Spur, I literally said he did, my argument lied elsewhere (far away from your Pop hatred, which is why you got it mixed up, I'm guessing).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i don't know for sure that it will but that has always been the knock on demar. he was great in toronto until the playoffs would come around and he was the same here. i'd love for him to see greater success but i wouldn't bet on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By far? Lol. He shot 33.8% in '15-16. Only 2% increase, which is further downplayed by the fact that he's got a MUCH better team around him and has to shoulder far less weight of carrying the offense, and far less targeting by defenses, is by far to you?

Second highest in his career, meaning he was already taking a lot of 3's in previous seasons, exactly like I said? Good to know tbh

So it was pretty much like that, except it was 3-4 instead of 5-6 3PA per game that they were making DeRozan take? I didn't specify any one year re: efficiency since I clearly didn't bother checking the stats, but I was sure it was below league average, and lo and behold, I was right. What sad attempt at rebuking me is this?

Your blind hatred of Pop clouds your judgment, Troll. You didn't understand what I said and ended up proving me right. I never said DDR didn't shoot less 3's as a Spur, I literally said he did, my argument lied elsewhere (far away from your Pop hatred, which is why you got it mixed up, I'm guessing).
    You don't take getting exposed well.
    Here on ST you get called out if try to manipulate stats to suit your narrative.
    You're the troll spinner.

And boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't take getting exposed well.
    Here on ST you get called out if try to manipulate stats to suit your narrative.
    You're the troll spinner.

And boring.
    imagine trying to spin this as me getting "exposed" when I was talking about an entirely different matter, in which you wrongly jumped in just to on Pop, and didn't even check the stats you used well. Maybe the bar for "exposed" has gotten really low while I've been away? Nah, gotta be you, trollsie.

And man, are you in for a rude awakening if you really believe your words when you call other people "trolls". Something about a pot and a kettle...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't know for sure that it will but that has always been the knock on demar. he was great in toronto until the playoffs would come around and he was the same here. i'd love for him to see greater success but i wouldn't bet on it.
    I mean, the chance this season is that the team that's been built around him is just so good that DeRozan doesn't need to "step up" in the way he's always been asked (and failed) to. At least that's what every Bulls fan is hoping, with Lavine & Company there to pick up his slack. At the least, there's definitely value in a regular season "closer" and righter of the ship, even if he's not ultimately the guy who carries you over the finish line.

I don't hold any ill-will to DeMar beyond having wanted him out of SanAn, so for the betterment of the league, I really hope the Bulls make a good run this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ good luck on your upcoming audition on The Voice / American Idol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 1,487,598 votes, DeMar DeRozan leads all Eastern Conference guards. With 776,043, Zach LaVine ranks fourth, trailing Trae Young and James Harden.

Klay Thompson is 4th leading Guard in the West, and Kyrie Irving 6th leading Guard in the East, both haven’t played a single minute (correction Kyrie played last night).
    Last edited by John B; 01-06-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had plenty of winners for us. But ST only remembered his misses. It was a pleasure watching him play for the spurs.
    love demar

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 1,487,598 votes, DeMar DeRozan leads all Eastern Conference guards. With 776,043, Zach LaVine ranks fourth, trailing Trae Young and James Harden.

Klay Thompson is 4th leading Guard in the West, and Kyrie Irving 6th leading Guard in the East, both haven’t played a single minute (correction Kyrie played last night).
    It's amazing what winning in a big market can do for you.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    demar is playing the way he is because this is the best roster he has been a part of & because doesn't live in kawhi's shadow with the spurs anymore.

Thread Information