Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs still have assets, expiring contracts and future draft picks so they are in a better position for trades now because they lacked most assets needed for a trade prior to this move. but i guess ST believes that there was some magical signing that was going to take place.
    They have been WELL positioned for trades for 2-3 years and could not execute. They made one today and it is a C grade at best relative to what they could have accomplished in the last 12-18 months with similar assets. So either they are learning or still very much lost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted John Collins but obviously that wasn't happening. I wouldn't have liked this trade if it happened before the real Collins had an opportunity to except a max offer ... but the Spurs waited it out (they needed to wait until midnight) and nothing happened on that front. So, safe to say it wasn't going to happen.

How much I like this trade depends on the protections of that first round pick. If the protections are rigid, this isn't that good of a trade. It'd be a "nice guy" trade where the Spurs helped DeRozan get paid. But if the protections are light, this is a pretty good deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted John Collins but obviously that wasn't happening. I wouldn't have liked this trade if it happened before the real Collins had an opportunity to except a max offer ... but the Spurs waited it out (they needed to wait until midnight) and nothing happened on that front. So, safe to say it wasn't going to happen.

How much I like this trade depends on the protections of that first round pick. If the protections are rigid, this isn't that good of a trade. It'd be a "nice guy" trade where the Spurs helped DeRozan get paid. But if the protections are light, this is a pretty good deal.
    Anything more than a Top 5 protection is a loss tbh. Top 10 Protected might be okay, but I can totally see it being a Top 20 Protected.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not resigning DDR is a good deal. He’s off the team. A few one year rentals/veterans, who hopefully get traded elsewhere. And some draft picks. Given the low confidence in Brian, this feels breathtaking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Favors has 2 years at 10 each (rounded I think)

Well, based on news reports the Spurs will be paying Zollins 7 next year and over 7 the next year. And he might not play next year. Give me favors and the pick.
    Link? I haven't seen talk regarding how guaranteed the contract is. I can't imagine his second or third year has much guaranteed money. Then again, I couldn't imagine the Spurs signing a formerly mobile big with a thrice broken foot, so what do I know, tbh?

I like Young as a player, I know a lot of Bulls fans but especially teammates loved him. After all that's happened, you expect Wright to be able to move him at the deadline? I don't. I'd love to see him folded into a deal for John Collins for instance but I'm not holding my breath
    Young is a positive asset right now. I share your skepticism of whether he will be flipped for an asset but his positive value needs to be taken into an account when assessing this trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this trade. We have been so weak at the PF position defensively. This also opens up the game for Johnson to move to SF. Should also allow Murray to get back instead of crashing the boards which in turn will limit the fast breaks. This actually is the type of team Pop might get something positive from. Watch him make this team compet ive shutting us all up including me, who is a top Pop hater. Love the picks too. Awesome deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link? I haven't seen talk regarding how guaranteed the contract is. I can't imagine his second or third year has much guaranteed money. Then again, I couldn't imagine the Spurs signing a formerly mobile big with a thrice broken foot, so what do I know, tbh?

Young is a positive asset right now. I share your skepticism of whether he will be flipped for an asset but his positive value needs to be taken into an account when assessing this trade.
    i know this is highly unlikely but with the added picks, the spurs can at least make the possibility of a trade for ben simmons something that could happen because now you would have a young player or two, possibly young and, of course, more trade picks which is what morey loves. again-not likely, but assets are valuable. and i think the spurs have the kind of assets now (expiring contracts, young players and draft picks) that they didn't really have before (because ST overvalued the actual worth of rudy, DDR, LMA and such).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if they s&t demar for collins somehow, and traded Murray and Lonnie for LEBRON ING JAMES., someone would still complain.
    Trade two young guys for the corpse of Lebron James, TF is wrong with you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re ed level take considering the entire board was assuming DeRozan was gonna be brought back. Lol pivoting to "he was gone anyways!!" to not even admit a sliver of good decision-making by the FO even when we all saw his market was dry as and no team wanted his sorry, no-3-no-D ass for more than the MLE. Like, there was a perfectly legit chance of him coming back, and the Spurs FO refused it. So what, you say, as if it wasn't a big deal?

Not to mention getting rid of Gay AND Patty. Again, against the "prediction" and certainty of every ST expert (I'd say you included, but I'm too lazy to look your post history up, tbh... Consider yourself saved by the bell ). The Collins signing was literally always a pipe dream considering he was a RFA, Collins could've told the Spurs he really really wanted to sign here and it wouldn't matter given ATL didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Again, you're scraping by for reasons to complain at this point. It's ok to be happy sometimes, you know? Come smoke a fat one with the rest of us in celebration
    Collins is a pipe dream, yes. I'll take the dream. I'll smoke out, nobody wake me. :

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. This deal in a vacuum to fill out the roster is fine, probably even good. This deal after Collins and McDermott is abysmal.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. This deal in a vacuum to fill out the roster is fine, probably even good. This deal after Collins and McDermott is abysmal.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think everyone in their right mind would've preferred John Collins, but it seems the reality is he wanted to no parts of SA (what's new).

They flipped a poor fitting, veteran player from some expiring contracts and future assets, when the alternative was him leaving for nothing (many people's chief complaint).

Seems whatever the Spurs do people will find a reason to complain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i know this is highly unlikely but with the added picks, the spurs can at least make the possibility of a trade for ben simmons something that could happen because now you would have a young player or two, possibly young and, of course, more trade picks which is what morey loves. again-not likely, but assets are valuable. and i think the spurs have the kind of assets now (expiring contracts, young players and draft picks) that they didn't really have before (because ST overvalued the actual worth of rudy, DDR, LMA and such).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For the Zollins deal I was going by all the reports, none of which indicated any specifics on guarantees. Until there's reports to the contrary I'm taking the 3/22 on face value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is healthy it’s an absolute possibility. He was a decently coveted 3/4 when he arrived in Orlando pre injuries. This is a team of C level players with a coach who has a certain way of rewarding playing time. It won’t take much for him to be getting 25 mins a game on this dog sh!t roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think everyone in their right mind would've preferred John Collins, but it seems the reality is he wanted to no parts of SA (what's new).

They flipped a poor fitting, veteran player from some expiring contracts and future assets, when the alternative was him leaving for nothing (many people's chief complaint).

Seems whatever the Spurs do people will find a reason to complain.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they need to maintain the "culture", right? Already in a non glamour market and clearly unappealing to a certain type that just so happens to make up the majority of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm ok with this deal. As timvp said, depending on the protections on the first rounder, this can look better or worse, but overall it's not horrible. It looks like we were shut out from everyone we wanted, so we got two expiring contracts and picked up 3 draft picks. I honestly didn't expect anything for DeRozan.

The expiring players might be flipped into something better, and we still have plenty of room to maneuver depending on how the young guys develop and how the season pans out. These are moveable assets, so I like the flexibility it creates.

Finally an offseason Spurs move that grades above a D in my book.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they need to maintain the "culture", right? Already in a non glamour market and clearly unappealing to a certain type that just so happens to make up the majority of the league.
    What "culture" are you rambling about?! That culture left with Manu, Tony, Tim and to a far, far lesser degree Patty Mills.

The team isn't going to be winning and isn't in a "glamour" market, yes, and that means they'll need to build through the draft and trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What "culture" are you rambling about?! That culture left with Manu, Tony, Tim and to a far, far lesser degree Patty Mills.

The team isn't going to be winning and isn't in a "glamour" market, yes, and that means they'll need to build through the draft and trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great job. Got some assets and a nice veteran in a position of need for a player who could have just walked for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three draft picks for a guy who could walk...that's a great deal. Two easily move able contracts as well for possible contenders later on who might give up more. I love this deal. No long term commitments and nothing change. Derozan was gone and the spurs had noone to pay this offseason.

Now they have three more draft picks, which are assets to trade as well, not just to use in a draft.

It won't come before 2025, so that 1st could be when they're falling apart. Could end up being a lottery pick with the rest of the east moving up.

And best yet, the young guys are officially taking over next year, with four brand new players who can all shoot from 3. This is what posters have been crying about all year. Spurs answer all the complaints and they still complain.

Great move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best offseason since Kawhi.

Can't wait to get to Vegas Monday to see the summer show.

In fact, can't wait till 8:00 tonight (Central) on NBATV to see the show from SLC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this trade. We have been so weak at the PF position defensively. This also opens up the game for Johnson to move to SF. Should also allow Murray to get back instead of crashing the boards which in turn will limit the fast breaks. This actually is the type of team Pop might get something positive from. Watch him make this team compet ive shutting us all up including me, who is a top Pop hater. Love the picks too. Awesome deal.
    It'd be so funny to be assuming a tank job coming into the season, only for Pop to finally find his coaching fire again and coach the team into a play-in spot

Agree on the take wholeheartedly, I too want to know the protections on the pick, but it's hilariously hair-splitting to make that the make-or-break aspect of a trade that single-handedly gives the Spurs a direction for the first time in 3 years....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We did what we had to do and this marks the first time we can truly move on and rebuild from the mess Load Management left us with. However, make no mistake, we didn't receive Thad Young today. We got Thad Old.

Thread Information