Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apologies if already posted, but per Hollinger: "The Bulls sent a moderately protected first-round pick to San Antonio (told the protections are top-10 in the first year, top-8 in the second and third years; the pick can convey as early as 2025 or as late as 2028), along with two second-round picks."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apologies if already posted, but per Hollinger: "The Bulls sent a moderately protected first-round pick to San Antonio (told the protections are top-10 in the first year, top-8 in the second and third years; the pick can convey as early as 2025 or as late as 2028), along with two second-round picks."
    Thanks, I hadn’t seen it yet. As Timvp said, it has an extremely high chance of conveying if not the first year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very angry and pointed response, seems a bit extreme. Just asking a question - what exactly has he proven to demonstrate he is a good player because I'm not seeing any evidence of it.

Hope all is OK with you.
    I guess the son of a isn't in?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People out here seriously mad about this ? They got a first round pick for nothing. Good for everyone involved demar was never going to excel here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OffRtg: 110.5
    DefRtg: 112.3
    NetRtg: -1.8
    Nevermind, I was checking BBallRef and you're using the NBA stats page, I see where I got it mixed up. Interesting to note he had a negative NetRtg only for last season, posting positive ones the previous two seasons of 3.1 and 3.6, then a similar fluctuation in previous years that might be more correlated to growing pains. I don't follow the Pacers nearly closely enough to know what happened specifically last season that led to such a drastic change; and even though you're correct and I'll gladly eat crow, I think you're absolutely selling him short by calling him simply a "net negative player". He ain't no DeRozan...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevermind, I was checking BBallRef and you're using the NBA stats page, I see where I got it mixed up. Interesting to note he had a negative NetRtg only for last season, posting positive ones the previous two seasons of 3.1 and 3.6, then a similar fluctuation in previous years that might be more correlated to growing pains. I don't follow the Pacers nearly closely enough to know what happened specifically last season that led to such a drastic change; and even though you're correct and I'll gladly eat crow, I think you're absolutely selling him short by calling him simply a "net negative player". He ain't no DeRozan...
    He isn't DePression bad on defense, but he isn't good by any stretch. IIRC, you were livid watching Gay last season on that end. He'll basically be that.

Edit: Take it back, Gay was actually the much better player defensively. He's closer to DePression on defense statistically after all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn't DePression bad on defense, but he isn't good by any stretch. IIRC, you were livid watching Gay last season on that end. He'll basically be that.

Edit: Take it back, Gay was actually the much better player defensively. He's closer to DePression on defense statistically after all.
    as long as he dont play ridiculously large minutes and dont hog the ball a lot like Gay. The reason Gay becomes frustrating is cause he gets to play a lot and hog the ball a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really gonna kill my vibe like that before the season even starts, huh?!

Forreal though, the thing that annoyed me most about Rudy wasn't his bad defense - it was his ball-hogging. You could feel it through the screen, when he got the ball and had already decided he'd take a shot before the play was even "set up"... That ISO-first mentality just killed team play - when he did it, when DeRozen did it, when Patty did it. I can absolutely live with a player who's not the most stellar defender (what are we paying Jakob for, after all?!) but who buys into team play, passes the ball, and isn't afraid to shoot it when necessary. From the little I've gathered on McD, I don't think I'll hate him nearly as much as Gay, even if both are technically the same "net negative player".

Having said that, the most important part is always expectation. Way different to see a player chuck you out of the game when you wanna win that game, or want to lose it

as long as he dont play ridiculously large minutes and dont hog the ball a lot like Gay. The reason Gay becomes frustrating is cause he gets to play a lot and hog the ball a lot.
    You and me both, brother

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never fails. You're too easy.
    Sure, I'm not the one on here always pissing, moaning and crying (even when they're finally hitting the "rebuild" button).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great deal for SA. Can't believe they got a first for DDR.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hoping that once this gets all finalized this deal expands and Thad is re-routed somewhere for a pick + younger player.
    +1 Now were cooking

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1 Now were cooking
    this might happen near trade deadline where a team fighting for 8th seed or a team in playoff and feels like they are a piece away (like pj tucker for bucks), or someone getting injured on a playoff team

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want trae young. not thad young

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm locking you and DPG21920 in a cage, whoever gets out first can decide how the off-season went for the Spurs
    lol I feel so bad for that poster. World of hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But we need to bottom out. The biggest issue has been lack of direction and being bad enough for crappy picks but not a playoff team….Spurs have 50M and now? Same exact spot likely if Thad/Doug get a bunch of minutes.
    Collins makes way more sense than Doug. Collins is at least young lol. Spurs obviously prioritized youth (Doug is 29 and a defender) and cap space next year (Doug is a 3 year deal 14M per). Literally makes no sense now.
    Obviously we'll never know but it sure seems they tried for J Collins, got told he's going back to Atl and then flipped DDR to Bulls. Yeah Collins is obviously better than anyone the Spurs signed but it doesn't seem he was an option at all.

They've clearly picked a direction though, make no mistake. They're going to be very bad next season. McDermott and Young, while good players, aren't there to ac ulate wins but to help young guys develop. They're putting the ball in White's , Murray's , Lonnie's hands and letting them sink or swim. These vets will help - McDermott by spacing the floor while not needing the ball in his hands and Young as a tough dude who's a damn good playmaker from the PF/C position. Both can be traded for future assets as well. Considering some of the deals on the market, say Devonte Graham's, they're alright.

The Bulls first's protections are about as good as people could have realistically expected and will convey at some point, plus if they can turn Young into a late first or a couple more 2nds at the trade deadline, the whole S&T would be a huge success.

Zach Collins, I have no idea what they're thinking. Hopefully most of the 2nd and 3rd season salary is non guaranteed. A cheap(ish) swing on a young guy's potential is what rebuilding teams should try to do.

But again - above all - they've decided on a direction. They may not be outright tanking, but they'll end up there anyway unless some young guys make a leap, which would surely be a good thing. I still think it's a 20-25 win team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn i thought thaddeus was like 36 since hes been in the league forever . Still he's 33& was drafted in '07. this will be his 15th season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One wonders how good Chicago will be and if they can even break the top 5 in the East next season. Not likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats a pretty good news tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the first day of free agency, the Heat called the Spurs and offered Iguodala in a sign-and-trade for DeRozan. The Spurs said no thanks because they had a better offer. Now we know that offer was from the Bulls.

The Spurs didn’t pull the trigger right away because they elected to participate in the John Collins sweepstakes. But once it became clear Collins and Hawks were making progress on a deal, they called the Bulls up and accepted their offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably sign a couple vets to one-year deals. But, instead, the Spurs essentially did that with Young and Aminu ... and got a first round pick that has about a 99% chance of conveying
    I did the math. It’s actually a 97.6% chance, assuming the Bulls have an equal probability of finishing anywhere in the standings in ‘25, ‘26, and ‘27.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs: B+

At the price the Bulls paid, retaining DeRozan would have made little sense for the Spurs, who should be building around a core of young talent including Keldon Johnson, Dejounte Murray, Jakob Poeltl and Derrick White. Getting a first-round pick for taking on one year of Aminu's salary is a strong outcome for San Antonio, which might be able to add more draft compensation by flipping Young to a contender at the deadline.

The question for the Spurs is whether the way they used their remaining cap space was sensible. San Antonio went big for Doug McDermott, agreeing to a three-year, $42 million deal with the unrestricted free agent on Monday. At 29, McDermott doesn't fit the Spurs' timeline either, and his defensive shortcomings figure to be exacerbated as he hits his 30s.

San Antonio also signed Zach Collins to a three-year, $22 million deal. It remains to be seen whether some of that money is protected for the Spurs in case Collins continues to deal with injuries after missing 62 games in 2019-20 following surgery to repair a shoulder labrum tear and all of the 2020-21 campaign due to recurring stress fractures in his ankle that have required three surgeries in the past year.

I'm surprised the price was so high, but at least there's a theory to signing Collins. He showed potential as a mobile defender who could space the floor prior to his injuries. If Collins gets healthy, there's a chance San Antonio snagged a bargain, although all the rehab has also prevented Collins from working to develop his game.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...-antonio-spurs

bright future biziofromdowntown's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty clear, we snitched a quite good trade but went with dumber signings. One name is enough, Forbes.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read a Windhorst piece that Spurs tried for Lauri, but his asking price was too high to their liking. Maybe it was supposed to be Lauri instead of Young?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, I'm not the one on here always pissing, moaning and crying (even when they're finally hitting the "rebuild" button).
    Still taking it seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor spurs

Thread Information