Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many things to say that have already been said, but I’m starting on a tangent.

For a FO that seems highly motivated in crafting the team’s image, has there ever been such a growing dichotomy between the image they want to project (community oriented, fan friendly) and this amazing disregard for the fans? Not just the disastrous moves but the complete opacity in which they operate?

They shun/manipulate the media.
    They do community oriented photo ops with the Coyote and rookies (typically).

When the losses start piling up and they can’t even communicate a goal or process to the fans, fans will eventually stop going. The Hemisphere was a ghost town in the late 80s. Might need to bring back nickel beers. This team is really getting weird in how they operate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol... The Highway Port-O-Potty of Brian Wright.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At people pretending Wright has autonomy and is alone in this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol... The Highway Port-O-Potty of Brian Wright.
    The knocked-over Construction Site Port-a-John of Brian Wright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most truthish thing spoken, so sayeth the Lawd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sanitarium? Does Wright have TB?

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian White

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's either going to pull off some move that makes all of this make sense and prove that he is a genius, or he is going to go down as one of the dumbest GMs of all time. Even the bad ones throw their cap space at names. Casual NBA fans don't know any of the people we signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is suggesting that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No but he'd trade for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still assessing his malady.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, is 100% about Pop.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's either going to pull off some move that makes all of this make sense and prove that he is a genius, or he is going to go down as one of the dumbest GMs of all time. Even the bad ones throw their cap space at names. Casual NBA fans don't know any of the people we signed.
    I guaran ingtee you Brian Wrong aint no genius and he sure as isn't about to rain man himself into some sort of 4d off season chess move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think Wright's on the whole been a good trader so far. Even the DeRozan trade is arguably a success given that it met Pop's goal of getting a star and has netted at least two firsts. There were better trades out there, but it's possible he wasn't allowed to pursue them.

DeRozan part 2 was a good trade in a vacuum given that the Bulls first does indeed become unprotected in 2028. The Spurs have a definite first to use or trade. Hutchison was good. He even almost got a pick for Lyles before the other teams backed out.

We'll see on drafting, and the Carroll hire along with these other moves are bad early FA returns. But he's not as hopeless as I believed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This mofo can aquire 2nd rnd picks like no other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This mofo can aquire 2nd rnd picks like no other

He can even convert lottery picks to 2nd round picks, which is amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. There’s no way he makes any of these moves without RC’s blessing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think Wright's on the whole been a good trader so far. Even the DeRozan trade is arguably a success given that it met Pop's goal of getting a star and has netted at least two firsts. There were better trades out there, but it's possible he wasn't allowed to pursue them.

DeRozan part 2 was a good trade in a vacuum given that the Bulls first does indeed become unprotected in 2028. The Spurs have a definite first to use or trade. Hutchison was good. He even almost got a pick for Lyles before the other teams backed out.

We'll see on drafting, and the Carroll hire along with these other moves are bad early FA returns. But he's not as hopeless as I believed.
    Beyond debating what percentage of these moves is Wright's decision (0%, 44.3234 %?), I would have agreed with you before the draft. I thought the Morris trade and maneuvering showed cleverness, but he got embarrassed/played by Rich Paul and Morris and the Knicks. Not his fault in my opinion.

But I don't like shifting supposed priorities from defense last offseason to now the more nebulous "character". I like some of the new pieces. Some I can't stand. But I still don't see any vision. I'm gagging as I say this, but if he had just prioritized DDR and built around him from the beginning, traded LMA for 3/D players at every other position, or close to it, then that would have been something I could have tried to get behind. Instead, it's poor asset management and shifting priorities and now we are back to getting horrible defenders.

Anyway, I know you aren't defending all of this, but, yeah, it's a confusing mess until proven otherwise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone loves passing the buck and shielding him from responsibility. "Oh it's Pop. Oh it's RC. Oh it's Holts. Oh it's the Coyote".

If he can take the check, he takes the blame.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone loves passing the buck and shielding him from responsibility. "Oh it's Pop. Oh it's RC. Oh it's Holts. Oh it's the Coyote".

If he can take the check, he takes the blame.
    His check is smaller than theirs and the president of basketball operations is generally the lead decision maker in front office's (except when it's meddlesome owners).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His check is smaller than theirs and the president of basketball operations is generally the lead decision maker in front office's (except when it's meddlesome owners).
    So?

If he doesn't want responsibility or scrutiny then he should have stayed an intern in Orlando where his check was probably 0.

Part of the job is saving the superiors from themselves. Whether that's the President, the vice president, the chairman of the board, whoever.

That's it. Talk them out of bad ideas or the team suffers, any team

Get it wrong and you fail.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So?

If he doesn't want responsibility or scrutiny then he should have stayed an intern in Orlando where his check was probably 0.

Part of the job is saving the superiors from themselves. Whether that's the President, the vice president, the chairman of the board, whoever.

That's it. Talk them out of bad ideas or the team suffers, any team

Get it wrong and you fail.
    So he wasn't supposed to take the opportunity to move up the food chain?

In theory. In reality, he joined the most entrenched lead decision makers in the league. A relative neophyte like him was/is probably going to have a hard time swaying them, much less gaining autonomy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every bad GM can blame someone.

Vlade? Vivek's fault

Billy King? Pressure to win now from the Russian.

Grunfeld? Abe the owner wanted to see a le before he died, so they HAD to make moves

Isaiah Thomas? Dolan interference.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he wasn't supposed to take the opportunity to move up the food chain?

In theory. In reality, he joined the most entrenched lead decision makers in the league. A relative neophyte like him was/is probably going to have a hard time swaying them, much less gaining autonomy.
    Too bad, that's the job.

If you want easy, don't work in sports. I'm sure he could go be a manager of a GNC and not have to answer to such entrenched power.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the Assistant GM for the Pistons. They did goofy things there during his tenure.

Hope for the sake of the franchise things turn out better here.

Thread Information