Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs Turn the Page and Look Ahead to … What, Exactly? - The Ringer

Mostly right obviously (some of the commentary of the youth is off), but yet another example of the media absolving S bag and refusing to acknowledge that he was by far the biggest reason they were unable to get the type of youth/picks package they should have been able to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the reason in 2017. 4 years later are on the FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw, rightful criticism about the point of Derozan in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was traded prior to the 2019 season. I'd say from '20 til now is all FO as we all know they should have dumped LA/DD/Rudy to contenders for assets when they still had value

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, but the point is, they all want to pretend the Spurs choose some "win now" package, when in reality they couldn't get the types of building blocks they otherwise would have if not for his antics.

Still never should have made the trade they made under any cir stances though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they otherwise would have if not for his antics.
    site owner called it 50/50.

Any ownership there or wanna blame it all on the Klaw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the do people get paid to say the Spurs plan isn't clear? Its 100% clear. They plan to compete for a play in/ play off spot this season with the team they have. They are not tanking and will probably never intentionally tank. If you don't agree with that, fine, but how can people say its not clear? They have cap flexibility going forward, a ton of young players who may turn into assets or all stars, but they likely are never going to tank with the current ownership group. There's never been a season where the Spurs went into it planning to tank and I don't know why anyone would expect that to start now. You can argue all you want about tanking in order to get better, but please point me to the team that has won an NBA championship doing that?

This is ing tired. its been years of people clamoring for a tank that is not going to come. When are y'all going to understand that this team simply won't do that? There are 100% some merits to tanking. But there are also merits to doing it the way the Spurs are doing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking ahead to getting Chet in a Spurs Jersey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were times in Murray’s second season, in 2017-18, when he looked like a future star. But his development was derailed when he tore his ACL, and he hasn’t gotten back on track. Now he’s the worst of both worlds—he doesn’t look capable of being a featured player, and his poor jumper makes everyone around him worse when he’s in a secondary role. White is more well-rounded but lacks the elite athleticism or scoring ability of the top point guards in the NBA. He’s a career 51.3 percent shooter from 2 and 35.7 percent from 3.

San Antonio has too many guards who may top out as sixth men on a good team. Walker is the most explosive scorer of the bunch. But that can only get you so far when that’s all you can do. He hasn’t met a shot that he won’t take over his first three seasons. He’s also yet another midrange killer who doesn’t shoot enough 3s (4.7 per game last season) to thrive in a smaller role in the starting lineup.

Imagine getting paid to write that is obviously about at team you have never watched. Walker hasn't met a shot he won't take? What the actual ? Murray hasn't gotten back on track? Really?

I'm not arguing the Spurs are going to be world beaters or even good, but I HATE when people post this kind of from national writers that obviously have no ing clue what they're writing about.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    idiot says forbes will help

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article makes some decent points, but still is a bunch of revisionist history. It's easy to look back in retrospect and say you have all the answers.

Just because the DeRozan experiment didn't work out doesn't mean it was destined to fail. If you look at things through that lense, there are about 25 other teams in the league right now that are destined to fail. I guess they should just stop trying, too.

Also, this part:
    It’s time for San Antonio to get back to what made it great in the first place—getting lucky in the draft and winning the lotteries for David Robinson and Tim Duncan. The Spurs have gone from a model franchise to a cautionary tale.
    Oh, it's that easy huh? Just need to luck into another #1 pick and draft another Duncan or Robinson? Gee, why didn't we think of that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right? Like San Antonio just needs to get another top 5 all time player in order to be a model franchise is a laughable take. I like Bill Simmons but man almost every other person aside from Serano is full of when it comes to sports. They really don't know about what they run their mouth on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is the link to the article? Or some of the main talking points?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are arguing for tanking, obviously. That’s not a left field argument. But I agree the Spurs have proven they aren’t going down that road/hole.

I disagree that DDR wasn’t destined to fail. I mean that initial team roster was a mess. If they had moved pieces it could have had a chance. I agree with that idea. But as everyone said, it can’t be both LMA and DDR and they failed to make a choice. So in that lens, of LMA and DDR, this article isn’t completely off. Sure, their individual player assessments are off.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are arguing for tanking, obviously. That’s not a left field argument. But I agree the Spurs have proven they aren’t going down that road/hole.

I disagree that DDR wasn’t destined to fail. I mean that initial team roster was a mess. If they had moved pieces it could have had a chance. I agree with that idea. But as everyone said, it can’t be both LMA and DDR and they failed to make a choice. So in that lens, of LMA and DDR, this article isn’t completely off. Sure, their individual player assessments are off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article is stupid. Some valid points but you can tell they only looked up stats and haven’t really watched the team. Keldon Johnson’s biggest weakness is not that he can’t create for others, it’s that he can’t shoot the 3 to open up driving lanes. Murray has a jumper, that’s not an issue either. He just needs to shoot the 3 better. A lot of stupid takes. Get back to lucking into a top 5 NBA player of all time. Yeah right. Apparently this dude thinks it’s that easy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classiest organization, but at times to their detriment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that’s depressing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the problem with the Spurs wasn't not tanking it was that they didn't horsewhip their roster enough in 2018. They absolutely should've pursued a third star instead of keeping Murray and Walker. Maybe a three-team deal where SA got DeRizan and Kemba along with Toronto's first, Toronto got Leonard and Charlotte got Lonnie, Murray and Poeltl.

Kemba
    White
    DeRozan
    Gay
    Aldridge

Considering how weak the West was that year, it was Pop's last shot at a ring, and they should've gone for it instead of clinging to their young guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair the team would’ve been a lot better if Marcus Morris didn’t them over. That was exactly the player the team needed at that point and they went to 7 games with Denver

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone needs to buckle up and accept the fact that we're probably not going to see another Spurs ring in our (or grandkids lifetime).
    It took a pretty amazing confluence of cir stances to do what we did. Not going to happen again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is one of the worst articles I've read on the Spurs. A sandwich of bad takes, obviously by someone who hasn't watched them much, plus laughable conclusions.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair the team would’ve been a lot better if Marcus Morris didn’t them over. That was exactly the player the team needed at that point and they went to 7 games with Denver
    Nuggets series happened before he ed the Spurs over.

As per usual, articles by people who're not following a team closely are awful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the problem with the Spurs wasn't not tanking it was that they didn't horsewhip their roster enough in 2018. They absolutely should've pursued a third star instead of keeping Murray and Walker. Maybe a three-team deal where SA got DeRizan and Kemba along with Toronto's first, Toronto got Leonard and Charlotte got Lonnie, Murray and Poeltl.

Kemba
    White
    DeRozan
    Gay
    Aldridge

Considering how weak the West was that year, it was Pop's last shot at a ring, and they should've gone for it instead of clinging to their young guys.
    The West wasn't weak in 2018...the Rockets and Warriors were absolute juggernauts and they would have curbstomped that hypothetical roster imo. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I am super glad the Spurs did not try to get Kemba. Especially since this roster would have fallen off a cliff in 2 years

edit: nvm, realized you meant the 2019 season / summer of 2018 and not the 2018 season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The West wasn't weak in 2018...the Rockets and Warriors were absolute juggernauts and they would have curbstomped that hypothetical roster imo. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I am super glad the Spurs did not try to get Kemba. Especially since this roster would have fallen off a cliff in 2 years
    You're thinking of 17/18, not 18/19 when those teams were hurt at the end of the post-season.

The roster fell off a cliff two years later anyway. They wouldn't lost much long-term value in that deal.

Thread Information