Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know everybody talks tanking. But if there ever was a year to tank, it’s this one. Jak gets more back spasms. DJ rests a bit after the all star break due to soreness. Start a few rookies here and there for our games. We have the roster to tank tbh if we sit out a few guys.
    "Never"

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will find a flaw in his character and pass him up.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should tank as it worked for the teams that tanked this year.

Trade DJ and Poeltl and get draft picks and a vet PG as those guys are not in the long term plans of the team.

Just play the rookies and give them minutes to grow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully that clip from Jonathan Givony ending on the OKC logo isn’t an omen. Cause they’re gonna suck ass again this year and will likely have the best odds or close to it for the top pick next summer.
    Well, the league has to do something about it. At some point, you have to stop rewarding tanking, or you get shameless franchises doing this for a living. Something like a draft lottery quota, where each slot is awarded a given amount of points (based on some statistical value per pic) and you can only gain so many in a give time frame. If you suck 2 years, we'll help you. If you suck 3/4 years, we'll stop rewarding you. If you suck 5+ years, your detrimental to the league and we'll start taxing you. Then you'll see just how fast the Prestis of the league will have to play the sport, and not basketball monopoly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if OKC next year got the 1st pick next NBA Draft. lol Unicorn Towers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, you just can't tell folks like DJ, Poeltl, Vassell and Keldon to stop trying to win. They are on a clear upwards trajectory and you can't just take a year of development from them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if OKC next year got the 1st pick next NBA Draft. lol Unicorn Towers.
    They have so many draft picks they could conceivably buy the draft pick if they want by packaging a player like SGA or Giddey and some of those picks. They have a lot of potential flexibility. Adding Wembanyama would give them 3 unicorns tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, you just can't tell folks like DJ, Poeltl, Vassell and Keldon to stop trying to win. They are on a clear upwards trajectory and you can't just take a year of development from them.
    Yup...but you can trade 2 or 3 of them away for more ping pong balls in next years draft...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have so many draft picks they could conceivably buy the draft pick if they want by packaging a player like SGA or Giddey and some of those picks. They have a lot of potential flexibility. Adding Wembanyama would give them 3 unicorns tbh
    No way anyone passes on that kid, even with the whole war chest throw at them.

We’ll find out here soon (I hope) what path the spurs will follow: build around the Murray timeline or tear it down.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder how hard they tried to get Timmy Duncan?
    The Lakers are always in play for all the stars in the league and often pull it off.

They don't build through the draft and have a history of using free agency and splashy trades to turn their team around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His wingspan is nuts. Will be a monster paint protector.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those players can continue to get better but the question is if their ceiling is much higher to keep up with other teams progression. If the season starts now what teams are for sure worse? People are highly, and I mean highly, underrating a few teams that finished below the Spurs last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Pop's not gonna tank a single game. Spurs players won't tank a single game.

The thing is -- because the current roster is devoid of players that create mismatches on a nightly basis -- the Spurs don't have to tank to lose big. The roster is designed in such an unbalanced way. And I do think it's a design by the GM, with (what I hope) is a purpose of getting a raffle ticket for the '23 Draft, while still allowing the team to 'play the right way'. I think next year's draft, and the '23 Free Agency are the fulcrum points that decide how high this team can aspire in the coming years.

You get Wembanyama as a Spur and it changes everything because he changes the entire shape of the floor. He'll be a nightmare for opponents every night, even while he's just figuring out the NBA game. Worth a losing season this year to have a shot at him. And if the Spurs don't get him -- next year's top end selections are gonna still be better than this year's.

The question is -- not all teams are gonna take the high road like the Spurs and there *will* be tankers. Who's in the best position to tank and compete for that #1? OKC and Houston are racking up so much talent that I don't know how they can tank without being grossly obvious. Their win ceiling seems like it'll be higher than the Spurs just on talent alone, but I'm sure they'll try to lowball. I see the Knicks, Pacers, and Kings as being tankers for sure. Surely the Magic and the Pistons should have a higher win ceiling than the Spurs with two top-5 picks in two years, but they might be in the tankathon, depending on whether the Pistons' backcourt gels, and whether Isaac materializes for the Magic. Maybe the Wizards too, depending on how things pan out with Beal's free agency.

So what is that -- 8 possible teams that could have worse records than the Spurs next year? And tbh, I don't think there are even that many.

Whatever happens -- I'm gonna enjoy watching a development year of the guys we have. I just hope we don't panic into a bad free agent signing (Ayton, Lavine) and mess up the curve that I suspect is being built.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good thing about coach Pop is sometimes when he is going all-in he actually fking sucks and out coaches himself. If DJ and Jak have extended injuries we are a bottom 5 team which gives you a 40% probability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good thing about coach Pop is sometimes when he is going all-in he actually fking sucks and out coaches himself. If DJ and Jak have extended injuries we are a bottom 5 team which gives you a 40% probability.
    LOL Word. I love Pop, but yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup...but you can trade 2 or 3 of them away for more ping pong balls in next years draft...
    Nobody in the lottery would do that, and other types of ping pong balls won't help us get this French kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody in the lottery would do that, and other types of ping pong balls won't help us get this French kid.
    They won't if we wait until next offseason to make a trade but there are teams that are interested in DJ that moght include an unprotected pick in FA in about a week...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won't if we wait until next offseason to make a trade but there are teams that are interested in DJ that moght include an unprotected pick in FA in about a week...
    Any team looking to include DJ won't be bad enough to give us number one draft odds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren't going to try to lose. Ain't in the team culture. Even if they tank, best they can do is like a 24% chance at the top pick. No thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team looking to include DJ won't be bad enough to give us number one draft odds.
    Because DJ has been getting us to the playoffs right....seriously a NY team with DJ isn't making the playoffs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are always in play for all the stars in the league and often pull it off.

They don't build through the draft and have a history of using free agency and splashy trades to turn their team around.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...als_his_top_5/

Banchero to LAL confirmed when he hits UFA, tbh.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren't going to try to lose. Ain't in the team culture. Even if they tank, best they can do is like a 24% chance at the top pick. No thanks.
    They tanked for Duncan so it's in their culture if it's worth to tank.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's very hard to get unprotected draft picks and especially next year to get an unprotected draft pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they trade Dejounte, then they would be heading in that direction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's very hard to get unprotected draft picks and especially next year to get an unprotected draft pick.
    No doubt it's not easy but with so many teams capped out there will be pressure to get something done and that will raise asking prices...I think you'll see a few unprotected picks change hands in various deals around the league.

Thread Information