My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've googled and the explanations are muddy.
    Could ones that understands contracts make it clear and easy?

Following scenairo:

Victor has completed 4 years with the Spurs. It is summer of 2027*.
    The Qualifying Offer is 26 million for 27-28.

Please make a working example of what Victors options are. What are Spurs and other teams options re Wama.
    Thank you in advance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless something has changed with the new CBA, I think it means this:

First, it means that the Spurs and Wemby have not been able to agree on an extension, and this is pretty bad since he’ll already (likely) have established himself as max rookie extension eligible (5 years, 25-30% max). There really isn’t anything to negotiate, it’s just a matter of homie signing it and it will mean he is under contract with us for the first 9 years of his career. I doubt the Spurs would try to do what they did with Nephew to create more cap space.

So, if the Spurs extend a 5th year QO to Wemby, he can do one of two things

1) Sign it, which would mean he plays under a 1-year deal and becomes an UFA the next year
    2) Not sign it, in which case he is an RFA and the Spurs can match.

If things have reached this point, Wemby probably signs it and is leaving the following season. The Spurs will try to trade him to a team he can sign a new deal with using his Bird rights. Pop signs a 10 year extension and tears up at Wemby’s tribute video.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First, it means that the Spurs and Wemby have not been able to agree on an extension, and this is pretty bad since he’ll already (likely) have established himself as max rookie extension eligible (5 years, 25-30% max). There really isn’t anything to negotiate, it’s just a matter of homie signing it and it will mean he is under contract with us for the first 9 years of his career. I doubt the Spurs would try to do what they did with Nephew to create more cap space.

1) Sign it, which would mean he plays under a 1-year deal and becomes an UFA the next year

If things have reached this point, Wemby probably signs it and is leaving the following season. The Spurs will try to trade him to a team he can sign a new deal with using his Bird rights. Pop signs a 10 year extension and tears up at Wemby’s tribute video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao what will you do with this knowledge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the whole history of the NBA,only a handful of players have ever signed it. At one point in time,it was only Olowokandi and Rasho.

His Rookie Supermax extension will be $60M per year, the Spurs will pay it,and he will sign it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've googled and the explanations are muddy.
    Could ones that understands contracts make it clear and easy?

Following scenairo:

Victor has completed 4 years with the Spurs. It is summer of 2027*.
    The Qualifying Offer is 26 million for 27-28.

Please make a working example of what Victors options are. What are Spurs and other teams options re Wama.
    Thank you in advance.
    Sounds like you work with ChatGBT quite a bit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get to that point it means went terribly wrong. It will destroy legacies and budding FO and coaching careers if VW decides to leave after his rookie deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

exstatic Would the narrative here be that Wemby just didn't have it and Pop was right to push him off the team? Just want to get some prep done early

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exstatic Would the narrative here be that Wemby just didn't have it and Pop was right to push him off the team? Just want to get some prep done early
    Players have learned that there’s no percentage in not signing the second contract, because no one else can pay you that money,and few teams have cap room anyway. If they want out, they force the issue after re-signing. At that point, make up any narrative you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have established himself as max rookie extension eligible (5 years, 25-30% max).

What is the 25-30%?

His Rookie Supermax extension will be $60M per year,
    Players have learned that there’s no percentage in not signing the second contract, because no one else can pay you that money,and few teams have cap room anyway. If they want out, they force the issue after re-signing. At that point, make up any narrative you want.
    How much less would the max offer from teams other then Spurs be?
    Has anyone accepted a less money offer to go to a far better team with a better coach?

My hope is that the Spurs drastically improve on both fronts -and soon. But certainly no later then the start of next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the 25-30%?

Max contracts are based on a % of the cap. A max contract can be for up to a maximum of 25% of the cap. For players with 6 years or less of NBA service it can be the larger of 25% or 105% of their previous salary.

However, there is also a "Derrick Rose" rule, that allows a rookie scale extension of up to 30% of the cap, if one of three criteria are met:
    1. An all-NBA team selection (can be first, second or third) in the player's 4th season or in both his 2nd and 3rd season.
    2. A DPOY selection in the player's 4th season or in both his 2nd and 3rd season.
    3. An MVP selection in any season from the player's 2nd year onward

The 30% rule is only for the most elite of players, as you can see by the criteria.

There is also a Supermax extension, which is for 35% of the cap with 8% annual escalation. To be eligible for a Supermax, you have to be signed by the team that drafted the player or traded for their rookie deal, be entering his 8th and 9th season, and meet one of the following criteria:
    1. Must have made the All-NBA Team (any of the three teams) in either the season immediately before signing the extension, or in two of the previous 3 seasons
    2. Must be named DOPY in the season immediately before signing the extension, or in two of the previous 3 seasons
    3. Must be named MVP in one of the previous 3 seasons

Making the All-NBA team last season is what landed Jaylen Brown a huge extension this offseason as he entered his 8th season. As you can tell by the criteria, Supermax deals are rare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another samanic

nothing we could do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like you work with ChatGBT quite a bit
    No, but ChatGBT undoubtedly taps into my wisdom.

Haven't recieved a check yet but will have my people look into it.
    Will donate to charity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Max contracts are based on a % of the cap. A max contract can be for up to a maximum of 25% of the cap. For players with 6 years or less of NBA service it can be the larger of 25% or 105% of their previous salary.

However, there is also a "Derrick Rose" rule, that allows a rookie scale extension of up to 30% of the cap, if one of three criteria are met:

There is also a Supermax extension, which is for 35% of the cap with 8% annual escalation.
    Making the All-NBA team last season is what landed Jaylen Brown a huge extension this offseason as he entered his 8th season. As you can tell by the criteria, Supermax deals are rare.
    scott do you have any recollection of a player turning down a rookie extention / Supermax to go to better cir stances?
    Supermax I'm thinking never.

In MLB i believe Trout took less money to stay with the Angels. That hasn't worked out so far.
    Jared Weaver did too.

How much less would the max offer from teams other then Spurs be? exstatic?
    Has anyone accepted a less money offer to go to a far better team with a better coach?

My hope is that the Spurs drastically improve on both fronts -and soon. But certainly no later then the start of next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop signs an 10-year extension and they'd have to point him towards where the court is at the end of that thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    scott do you have any recollection of a player turning down a rookie extention / Supermax to go to better cir stances?

In MLB i believe Trout took less money to stay with the Angels. That hasn't worked out so far.
    Jared Weaver did too.
    I'm not aware of any examples. Porzingas and Kawhi kind of had the same cir stance where the team didn't do an extension to be able to have more cap space the following off-season and still resign them. I don't know (but maybe someone else here does) how that ultimately impacted Porzingas getting traded to Dallas, I thought it had more to do with legal issues in NY.

I'm not sure if Kawhi actually ended up losing money by signing with LAC instead of TOR, but I think he did, though that wasn't a rookie extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jared Weaver did too.
    You can't actually do that, because you're a restricted FA. If you sign an offer sheet for less, your agent should be fired immediately when your team matches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares if pop is here much longer he will bolt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't actually do that, because you're a restricted FA. If you sign an offer sheet for less, your agent should be fired immediately when your team matches.
    You can definitely turn down a rookie extension, and just play under the 5th year QO and become a UFA. I believe that is what Mr. Mul roll is asking has that ever happened before with a top flight player. I can't think of any cir stance, only the Porzingas/Kawhi situations where their teams' played games to extend cap room. Coincidently, neither of those two guys made it to the end of their rookie extensions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those out there who are terrified of Wemby leaving and also want Pop gone now, like OP, just look at what the Spurs are doing rn. Remember when your hero, nephew, wanted PG13 or wanted to be surrounded by another Star or a team that could win? How good do you think this team would be if Wemby was surrounded by this current squad and another top 12-15 pick from next season vs a top 3 pick from next season? The whole point is to surround Wemby with as much homegrown talent as possible, and the higher the pick, the better the player usually. Whats funny is that the same whiners that were pissed Spurs weren't tanking and were finishing middle of the pack before, are whining now that Spurs are tanking with the chance to get 2 top 10 picks (one most likely top 2-3) and not finishing middle of the pack.

Thread Information