Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit with Cade and recently Ivey and Duren and still blatantly tanking at top 2? The league should really investigate the likes of Rockets, Magic, Pistons, Thunder who have had great picks, #1 even, and still tanking hard.
    How do you propose to punish teams for tanking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can devise a system where you gain chances in reverse order of your record (as it is now), but also you lose chances by recent picks. This could be done by establishing a penalty composed of the value per pick times a coefficient related to the time elapsed, going to zero after, say, 5 years or so. That way, you reward the worst teams, but not perennial tanking, as you're effectively putting a cap on how many chances any given team is awarded in a certain time frame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cade got injured. Young teams, even with good talent, can go through a lot of growing pains. Thunder have so many come back wins. What do you mean?
    You gonna have to be gullible to expect, for example OKC to be that bad with SGA posting MVP numbers. As somebody posted the lowest 5 teams have had top #1 picks, multiple top 5 picks and still posting worst records. Come on man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gonna have to be gullible to expect, for example OKC to be that bad with SGA posting MVP numbers. As somebody posted the lowest 5 teams have had top #1 picks, multiple top 5 picks and still posting worst records. Come on man
    Nah...SGA is an empty calorie stat filler...he doesn't move the needle very much... they'll trade him as soon as some desperate GM throws the brings truck at em..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With super tall guys I think foot problems are the most concerning. But typically super tall guys are also very heavy, and being skinny usually helps so…hard to say for me.
    being heavy does put a strain. guys like shaq/yao always had foot problems. but being more guard-like and perimeter-oriented also puts your knees/ankles in compromised positions more frequently

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the NBA’s biggest problem going into this draft, IMO. Hornets I’m not sure deserve to be included in this group considering they just got some bad luck and I wouldn’t classify as tanking, but if the Magic, Rockets, Pistons and Thunder end up in the top 5 again (along with the Spurs) then there is going to be a clear issue with blatant tanking paying off.

There was a thread last year with some good ideas of how to discourage tanking… I like the idea of your natural odds being reduced based on the number of times you’ve recently had a top 4 pick. Say the top 6 end up Magic, Rockets, Pistons, Thunder, Hornets and Spurs (in any order) - then there is a clear cut case that only the Spurs and Hornets have not be serial tankers, and the Spurs clearly have the absolute best case for being given the highest preference.

Of course, there is a zero percent chance owners agree to make any substantive changes mid-season, but I can see some calls for serious lottery reform if one of these perma-tankers lands Wemby (or to a lesser extent, Scoot)
    I do like the idea of punishing serial tanking offenders. Maybe something as simple as saying that if you pick in the top 4 one year, you cannot get a top 4 pick the next year or even maybe either of the next two years. Could even extend that to top 5 or top 6.

Something more subtle, and probably more fair, would be to say that if a team picks #1 then the next year they can't get a top 4 pick, the year after they can't get a top 3 pick, etc. The team picking #2 can't get a top 3 pick the next year, top 2 the following year, and so on.

These wouldn't stop the practice of tanking, but they could stop the same teams from doing it year after year.

And if a bad team is trying to win and just keeps losing? Too damn bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can devise a system where you gain chances in reverse order of your record (as it is now), but also you lose chances by recent picks. This could be done by establishing a penalty composed of the value per pick times a coefficient related to the time elapsed, going to zero after, say, 5 years or so. That way, you reward the worst teams, but not perennial tanking, as you're effectively putting a cap on how many chances any given team is awarded in a certain time frame.
    I'm honestly surprised that doesn't alreay exist... Makes sense to me that your previous picks should enter into the algorythm as far as your next chances are, if you really want to even things and genize teams quality... These permatanking teams are a disgrace to the NBA and their fans....

I can't imagine spurs sucking like that for 3 years... I'm gone before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only pistons and orlando have more losses

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren’t tanking for Banchero, or Banchero and Scoot. They’re tanking for a generational player.
    I get what your saying but ''Banchero" was killing the league until he got hurt as he was only the 7th NBA player in NBA history to score 20+ points in consecutive games. Definitely numbers you want if your drafting the number one pick it's almost night and day between him and the 2nd pick in the draft "Smith"....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon has us in second place - The Tank Looks Good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy but for Wama's 1st regular season should he play no more then 50 games?

If I'm GM of the team that gets him, that's what we do.

Everyone else can F Off.

Going from playing 2 games a week to 5-6 and 82 total can be brutal on any player, no matter how genetically blessed, macho / how many steroids they take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon has us in second place - The Tank Looks Good
    We’re still 3rd. Maybe you did a sim and forgot to reset?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang I think your right still in 3rd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang I think your right still in 3rd
    Kind of academic, though. Slots one, two, or three each have a 14% chance at #1, and are all basically interchangeable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 3 baby is all you need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy but for Wama's 1st regular season should he play no more then 50 games?

If I'm GM of the team that gets him, that's what we do.

Everyone else can F Off.

Going from playing 2 games a week to 5-6 and 82 total can be brutal on any player, no matter how genetically blessed, macho / how many steroids they take.
    Victor gonna dominate for the Austin Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor gonna dominate for the Austin Spurs.
    It looks like Metropolitans 92, currently at 9-1, is headed for Euroleague play this year. If Wemby comes even close to his French A league numbers, he’ll never spend a day in Austin. He’s gotten his slow development over there, already, starting in French A at 16, like Parker did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw a Metro 92 game that was telecasted live. Wemby looks and plays like a taller Durant with better defense. Of course, the opposition is not that great shakes. But boy, he is a unicorn's unicorn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the NBA’s biggest problem going into this draft, IMO. Hornets I’m not sure deserve to be included in this group considering they just got some bad luck and I wouldn’t classify as tanking, but if the Magic, Rockets, Pistons and Thunder end up in the top 5 again (along with the Spurs) then there is going to be a clear issue with blatant tanking paying off.

There was a thread last year with some good ideas of how to discourage tanking… I like the idea of your natural odds being reduced based on the number of times you’ve recently had a top 4 pick. Say the top 6 end up Magic, Rockets, Pistons, Thunder, Hornets and Spurs (in any order) - then there is a clear cut case that only the Spurs and Hornets have not be serial tankers, and the Spurs clearly have the absolute best case for being given the highest preference.

Of course, there is a zero percent chance owners agree to make any substantive changes mid-season, but I can see some calls for serious lottery reform if one of these perma-tankers lands Wemby (or to a lesser extent, Scoot)
    I was about to say that only Hornets and Spurs are the "deserving" but quite hypocrite because the Spurs had like 3 lottery picks for the last 3 years.
    Agree that unlikely they'll change it midseason and the only reason we're ranting about it is because it affects us. But to be fair, it's normal to be a bit desperate.
    But damn, took 25 years again before having a discussion something like this again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know that teams say 8 - 14 in the draft order aren't really trying to tank, they just don't have a lot of talent or have injuries. Its certain teams 1 - 7 in the draft order that are usually tanking usually for a couple of years in a row.

How do you fix this ?

Any team that is in position 1 -7 more than two years in a row gets bumped down to position 8 or lower if its more than one team, and what ever team or teams is in position 8 or higher gets moved into the top 7. All that tanking only to be bumped down. Now that's an incentive to win even just a few more games. For example, Houston after 2 top 5 picks in a row would no longer be able to have a top 7 pick. They could still tank just not get the benefits of a top 7 pick any more.

After 2 years in a row of getting a top draft pick a team should be better or else you get bumped to a lower pick. Losing your draft position is enough incentive to try to win a bit more rather than lose all season long. Losing intentionally is not fair to the fans or the players.
    Last edited by jjspur; 12-06-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a sequence in his last game that I'd like to point out because it's not very obvious in the NBA highlights posted earlier.

It's at the beginning of this video:

A guard is trying to steal the ball from him but fails, then Wemby gets surrounded by 3 defenders and he handles the ball so well to get out of it. What comes next I'll let you see for yourself.
    In every game he has like 3/4 WTF moments like this. Just can't wrap my head around it... it's incredible.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons win tonight against the Heat. Up to 7 wins.

Spurs with sole possession of the second worst record. Only the Magic are worse. If they can get Banchero, Carter, Wagner and Suggs healthy for a stretch of 20 games then the Magic can win 8-10 games in that stretch and move clear of the Spurs in wins.

Pistons and Rockets both have good young talent and they can win some games if they stay healthy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons win tonight against the Heat. Up to 7 wins.

Spurs with sole possession of the second worst record. Only the Magic are worse. If they can get Banchero, Carter, Wagner and Suggs healthy for a stretch of 20 games then the Magic can win 8-10 games in that stretch and move clear of the Spurs in wins.

Pistons and Rockets both have good young talent and they can win some games if they stay healthy.
    The Pistons play the Pelicans tomorrow, so hopefully they can steal another one. The Magic play the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw a Metro 92 game that was telecasted live. Wemby looks and plays like a taller Durant with better defense. Of course, the opposition is not that great shakes. But boy, he is a unicorn's unicorn.
    The French Championship is known for being more physical and with stronger defenses than the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information