Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper I agree. But it depends on the way the Spurs go this summer. If they sign Lavine and keep Poeltl, they are out of the lottery altogether. If they just keep Poeltl and draft well, they'll make the play in and may be in the late lottery or out of it. If they shock us all and also trade Dejounte for a few young players in an out of character rebuild move, then it could happen. But I give that scenario 1 in a 100 chance, if that.
    A key injury could also knock them into one of the worst teams in the league. The spurs are not very deep in talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA doesn't have a draft pick until 2027.
    That was my point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A key injury could also knock them into one of the worst teams in the league. The spurs are not very deep in talent.
    True, but the only player I see having such an impact is Dejounte, and him suffering a season ending injury is not a scenario I'd be looking for, for a 14% chance at Wembanyama.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your point was that he will eventually go to LA? If that's your point you can say that about pretty much every young prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The idea that any team can tank and get to draft a consensus #1 pick is ludicrous. They might get a favorable percentage likelihood of getting to draft #1, but the lottery ball modification to the draft made it impossible to guarantee success by tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your point was that he will eventually go to LA? If that's your point you can say that about pretty much every young prospect.
    True. But I'm also suggesting a certain level of nefariousness that seems to allow LA especially to always get the best prospects, best players, despite their front office and player development being absolute .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. But I'm also suggesting a certain level of nefariousness that seems to allow LA especially to always get the best prospects, best players, despite their front office and player development being absolute .
    To me it came to light during the '17-'18 season when they tried to steal Kawhi and almost pulled it off. Prior to that season I didn't even pay attention to the Lakers since they were pure trash and had been garbage for a while, so they fell off my radar. It took me by surprise and caught me off guard when they attempted to steal Kawhi and also get Lebron and Davis which with the latter they were able to pull off. It surprised me because even though I had known for a longtime LA is a hot destination but I didn't think anybody would want to play for the Lakers due to the crappy roster and incompetent front office they had. I based this off of the Knicks how they play in NYC which is the biggest market but nobody wants to play for them due to having a stupid owner and incompetent front office.

This was a lesson I learned the hard way which is the Lakers will always get a pass from these players for being incompetent. Anyways I would say the whole entire league outside of Miami, NYC, Chicago is always at risk of getting their players pouched from by the Lakers. It's a cold reality we have to deal with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a lesson I learned the hard way which is the Lakers will always get a pass from these players for being incompetent. Anyways I would say the whole entire league outside of Miami, NYC, Chicago is always at risk of getting their players pouched from by the Lakers. It's a cold reality we have to deal with.
    Wonder how hard they tried to get Timmy Duncan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder how hard they tried to get Timmy Duncan?
    They never really had the chance to pry Duncan since Shaq and Kobe were already their cornerstones and back then the idea of the super team didn't exist. I don't think Duncan and Shaq could play together so Duncan would never considered going down there. Once Shaq left they would not have been able to pry Duncan since the Spurs already established Parker and Ginobili as stars. So I think they never bothered with Duncan since there was never really the opportune situation to sell him a pitch.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt there is always the risk of losing players to The Lakers but that doesn't mean the Lakers can get anyone they want.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt there is always the risk of losing players to The Lakers but that doesn't mean the Lakers can get anyone they want.
    I agree I'm of the mindset once the Spurs get their next superstar they just have to go out there maximize their chances to win with that superstar and let the chips fall as they may. If they can't win when that superstar's restricted contract is up he probably will leave but that's ok.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA doesn't have a draft pick until 2027.
    That's not right, at least from what this site says. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

It looks like the Pelicans have the right to swap picks with the Lakers next year and get the Lakers 2024 first outright, but beyond that the Lakers have all their own firsts. The earliest first the Lakers can trade away is the 2026 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not right, at least from what this site says. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

It looks like the Pelicans have the right to swap picks with the Lakers next year and get the Lakers 2024 first outright, but beyond that the Lakers have all their own firsts. The earliest first the Lakers can trade away is the 2026 pick.
    This is true with the only caveat that the Lakers can't trade their 2026 pick until NO decide whether they want their 2024 first or 2025 first, thus the earliest first the Lakers can trade is 2027.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.

All this uncertainty surrounding DJM..... the word that the Spurs want three 1st-rounders minimum for him..... draft moves that netted two more guards + no center..... the ongoing lack of balance in the roster w/ a call for 'versatility'..... I'm good with all of it.

May this lead to a season of heavy minutes for young guys and a bottom-three league finish at best. We all know Pop is not gonna tank games. The good news is if this roster stays the way it is, and doesn't make big swings in free agency -- Pop won't need to tank. Losses will take care of themselves.

The more losses, the better the raffle ticket for Wembanyama.

And even if the Spurs don't get the #1, 2023 is gonna be one uva draft + free agency period. Just one more year of patience.

If this is what the GM is aiming toward, count me in for all of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three first rounders is trash. For a 25 y.o. 2 way all star you need much more than that. The picks need to be in the lottery, very lightly protected, and add in a really good young player on a good deal (i.e. not Collins). Atlanta's picks will not be lottery ones, and they have no one of real interest. If they're going to take that, I would have preferred they offered him to NY who is desperate for a PG. They gladly would have given you this year's pick plus several picks (they have 3 future firsts + theirs) and swaps, I think we could have gotten 4 picks at least plus swaps, EASILY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory this is the right move, as the Spurs desperately need a true franchise player, and Wembanyana would give us that (it looks like). The problem with this, obviously, is that even if we are a bottom five team — which, given our track record of refusing to tank, seems highly unlikely — the odds are still stacked against us in terms of winning the lottery.

Unfortunately I think if we don’t trade DJ — which also seems unlikely at this point — we’re not going to be anywhere near bad enough to have a chance at Victor or the other couple blue chippers like Scoot Henderson, Nick Smith, or Dariq Whitehead. Dejounte just raises the ceiling of this team too high. Plus our young guys like Keldon, Vassell, Primo, etc. are going to be a year older/more seasoned, and will probably better this season. Just don’t see it happening sadly, as badly as we need it to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three first rounders is trash. For a 25 y.o. 2 way all star you need much more than that. The picks need to be in the lottery, very lightly protected, and add in a really good young player on a good deal (i.e. not Collins). Atlanta's picks will not be lottery ones, and they have no one of real interest. If they're going to take that, I would have preferred they offered him to NY who is desperate for a PG. They gladly would have given you this year's pick plus several picks (they have 3 future firsts + theirs) and swaps, I think we could have gotten 4 picks at least plus swaps, EASILY.
    Music to my ears. Agree with all of this. I didn’t say Spurs should *just* get three 1sts. It’s the item being spread around. Love DJM, but if we’re aiming for Wembanyama, the current design makes sense to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory this is the right move, as the Spurs desperately need a true franchise player, and Wembanyana would give us that (it looks like). The problem with this, obviously, is that even if we are a bottom five team — which, given our track record of refusing to tank, seems highly unlikely — the odds are still stacked against us in terms of winning the lottery.

Unfortunately I think if we don’t trade DJ — which also seems unlikely at this point — we’re not going to be anywhere near bad enough to have a chance at Victor or the other couple blue chippers like Scoot Henderson, Nick Smith, or Dariq Whitehead. Dejounte just raises the ceiling of this team too high. Plus our young guys like Keldon, Vassell, Primo, etc. are going to be a year older/more seasoned, and will probably better this season. Just don’t see it happening sadly, as badly as we need it to.
    Yeah, I hear you. So much can happen before next year’s draft. I think you’re right that DJM raises the win ceiling of this team a bit too high for good hopes, but I also see we have zero players that create constant offensive mismatches night after night. Hard to think of another team as bad as we are in that department coming into this next season. Like I said, I don’t think we need to tank. The roster design will allow the losses to happen because we don’t create nightly mismatches of any consequence. I’m OK with this for the sake of the big picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does look like he’ll be a ing two-way monster though.

Rudy Gobert + Kevin Durant hybrid (though he’s not on Durant’s level as a scorer obviously).

7’3 230 lb Point-Center with a 7’9 wingspan. Just a wild prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should also be noted that Wembanyama was only 4 days away from being eligible for THIS year’s draft. And he would’ve easily gone #1 over Banchero as an 18 year-old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully that clip from Jonathan Givony ending on the OKC logo isn’t an omen. Cause they’re gonna suck ass again this year and will likely have the best odds or close to it for the top pick next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does look like he’ll be a ing two-way monster though.

Rudy Gobert + Kevin Durant hybrid (though he’s not on Durant’s level as a scorer obviously).

7’3 230 lb Point-Center with a 7’9 wingspan. Just a wild prospect.

Nailed it.

Yeah, I see people comparing him to Porzingis or glossing him as ‘Chet 2.0’. And I’m sorry but these miss the boat entirely.

We hear the word ‘generational’ a little too often, but this guy is what it looks like. Doesn’t just make a team better but shifts the entire landscape. I look at some of his passing angles and wonder, ‘How the do you stop that?’ I remember dreaming back when ‘what if we win the lottery and somehow score David?’ And then it happened.

No guarantee but if any player is worth the pain of the raffle ticket, this guy’s it. Plus the upper crust selections below him in the next draft are gonna be so good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even as bad as sa was this past season they pretty much topped out at the 6th spot. Gonna take luck and a uva lot more losing to get in that top 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know everybody talks tanking. But if there ever was a year to tank, it’s this one. Jak gets more back spasms. DJ rests a bit after the all star break due to soreness. Start a few rookies here and there for our games. We have the roster to tank tbh if we sit out a few guys.

Thread Information