Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone give me a brief rundown or a link on how the draft works these days? I haven't really looked at the top of the lottery since we haven't really been there for 25+ years. So finishing in the bottom 4 doesn't increase your odds of getting the number 1 pick? Is there much difference between finishing say 7th or last?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 14% vs 12.5% isn't a big drop off. We can root for enough wins to at least get to #4 slot. It'll be good for the young core to pile up 25-30 wins which should get them in the hunt for #4 at worst.

Based on just the first few possessions alone Wembayana has the feel of a cornerstone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 more years!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 more years!

That's Pop regardless of whether the Spurs win or lose the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs getting one of Scoot or Wemby would catapult us back into relevance within a couple seasons. If spurs luck out and land the #1 pick everyone is going to forget the last 5 years and will be glad we tanked in 23 instead of 19-22

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone give me a brief rundown or a link on how the draft works these days? I haven't really looked at the top of the lottery since we haven't really been there for 25+ years. So finishing in the bottom 4 doesn't increase your odds of getting the number 1 pick? Is there much difference between finishing say 7th or last?
    https://tankathon.com/pick_odds
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-draft-lottery
    https://www.nba.com/news/nba-draft-lottery-explainer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. So finishing in the bottom 3-4 is the best chance. Finishing last seems like a waste of time, but also, finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 doesn't really give you any advantage. It really is a lottery.

Thanks. I will have a look at these when I have some time. I am really out of drafting at the top of the lottery as we haven't done it for so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The meltdown in here is gonna be 2013-like when the Spurs finish as a bottom-two team and wind up with the 5th or 6th pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The meltdown in here is gonna be 2013-like when the Spurs finish as a bottom-two team and wind up with the 5th or 6th pick
    'Penis-looking fella hates us.' - ST, may 2023, probably

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. So finishing in the bottom 3-4 is the best chance. Finishing last seems like a waste of time, but also, finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 doesn't really give you any advantage. It really is a lottery.
    The desire to finish in last place (instead of 3rd or 4th) isn't for better odds of the overall #1 pick.... it's the 100% guarantee of getting a top 5 pick. The 4th worst record has a 44.6% chance of dropping to picks 6, 7, or 8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The desire to finish in last place (instead of 3rd or 4th) isn't for better odds of the overall #1 pick.... it's the 100% guarantee of getting a top 5 pick. The 4th worst record has a 44.6% chance of dropping to picks 6, 7, or 8.
    80% of the talent in the draft is usually in the first 2-3 picks. Not a heap of difference most years between 5 and 8.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    80% of the talent in the draft is usually in the first 2-3 picks. Not a heap of difference most years between 5 and 8.
    All the more reason to start with the worst record. Although there's still a huge drop-off between 5-8. After 8 is where it starts to level off.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/720/1*9n7YhIfbXJ-t9qxs_lfA4g.png[/IMG]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's hugely contingent on the draft class, sometimes it's flat but other times there's a steep decline after the top 5, and it never hurts to avoid giving 3 teams the chance to snatch your target in your face. In this upcoming draft that could likely be the case. So while I'm never a fan of blatant, mishandle your team tanking, I sure as hope the FO avoids that scenario by removing the couple of vets that could most impact such outcome, but mainly Poeltl. That should give Pop the leeway to sincerely go all out and still be bad enough to lose in bunches, like Ainge made sure to happen in Utah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's hugely contingent on the draft class, sometimes it's flat but other times there's a steep decline after the top 5, and it never hurts to avoid giving 3 teams the chance to snatch your target in your face. In this upcoming draft that could likely be the case. So while I'm never a fan of blatant, mishandle your team tanking, I sure as hope the FO avoids that scenario by removing the couple of vets that could most impact such outcome, but mainly Poeltl. That should give Pop the leeway to sincerely go all out and still be bad enough to lose in bunches, like Ainge made sure to happen in Utah.

This. I understand principles, corporate culture etc etc but If PATFO fumble another year by winning 5-10 meaningless games down the stretch at that point you have to question is this is just ego? I seriously think PATFO thinks they are better than other front offices. There just doesn’t seem to be any urgency to get back to compe iveness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible to conduct at least a minimal fact check before posting nonsense?

top-3: Wall, Turner, Favors
    others: Cousins, Hayward, George

top-3: Kyrie, Derrick Williams, Kanterothers: Kemba, Klay, Vucevic, Kawhi, Butler, Isaiah

top-3: Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal
    others: Lillard, Drimmond, Green, Middleton

top-3: Bennett, Oladipo, Porter Jr.
    others: Giannis, McCollum, Gobert

top-3: Wiggins (MAPLE JORDAN generational talent), Parker, Embiid
    others: Randle, Lavine, Jokic

top-3: Towns, Russell, Okafor
    others: Porzingis, Booker

top-3: Simmons, Ingram, Brown
    others: Sabonis, Siakam, Dejounte

top-3: Fultz, Lonzo, Tatum
    others: Mithc , Adebayo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think everyone goes home happy because Spurs will def be among the worst 3/bottom of the league so best odds at a #1 pick lottery. But at the same time, and from the perspective of those enriched by Spurs turnstile hits, the bottom 3 have the exact same odds at #1. So that's possibly a difference of +1-5 wins, maybe more. If you are Spurs Sports and Entertainment, you want to strike the balance of best odds at #1 while still dialing up the max amount of wins allowable while still preserving the best odds at #1.

I mean losing maybe as much a 5 more games to still have the same 14% odds or whatever is stupid. Each win could amount to significant fan patronage whether it's parking, turnstiles, food vendor/merch sales, etc gamble bets etc. I look for SA to scheme a sweet spot between the optimal pick odds and enriching investors.

Obviously totally dependent on the other bottom dwellers and obvs Spurs should lose whatever is necessary to match other tanking teams and preserve the maximum 14% odds. But there may be some wiggle room to have some cake and eat it too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a concern. He actually went back to Paris for his last season in France so he could be close to his family and also he plays less games at Metropolitans 92 so he can focus on training & filling out.
    Coach Collet is also know for developing young players...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 more years!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible to conduct at least a minimal fact check before posting nonsense?

top-3: Wall, Turner, Favors
    others: Cousins, Hayward, George

top-3: Kyrie, Derrick Williams, Kanterothers: Kemba, Klay, Vucevic, Kawhi, Butler, Isaiah

top-3: Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Beal
    others: Lillard, Drimmond, Green, Middleton

top-3: Bennett, Oladipo, Porter Jr.
    others: Giannis, McCollum, Gobert

top-3: Wiggins (MAPLE JORDAN generational talent), Parker, Embiid
    others: Randle, Lavine, Jokic

top-3: Towns, Russell, Okafor
    others: Porzingis, Booker

top-3: Simmons, Ingram, Brown
    others: Sabonis, Siakam, Dejounte

top-3: Fultz, Lonzo, Tatum
    others: Mithc , Adebayo
    Other than Kawhi and Giannis, none of those ‘others’ is anything special or a franchise guy who takes his team to a le. You might be OK with an All Star, but we had one of those and just traded him. I WANT A GODDAMNED FRANCHISE PLAYER FOR A LE TEAM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than Kawhi and Giannis, none of those ‘others’ is anything special or a franchise guy who takes his team to a le. You might be OK with an All Star, but we had one of those and just traded him. I WANT A GODDAMNED FRANCHISE PLAYER FOR A LE TEAM.
    At not including Davis, Embiid, Jokic in that.

Spare me the "Davis had James" (when the former was the best player in '20 playoffs and unlike S bag, didn't need 95 games of rest, the most complete team in the league around him or the best team in the league decimated by injury) and Embiid and Jokic "haven't done it" (as if they've had one legit chance).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That looks like a big "N" as in no.

14% chance? One in seven.

The Spurs will need some major luck.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the only franchise guy in those top 3 was Embiid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty ridiculous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question for everyone ... In the last 10 years, when has the worst team in the league record wise, actually had the #1 pick ?
    I'm pretty sure we'll have a bottom 5 record, but that won't guarantee us Mr. franchise Wembanyama unless we also "luck" into the 1st pick. Remember 4 teams will also have bad records but will also have the pretty much the same odds to get the first pick. Like us they'll need some luck in order to get Wemby or enven Scoot Henderson.

I'm very much a realist, and I have no doubt we can get a decent player with a bottom 5 record, but will it be the #1 pick or even the 2nd pick ? I'm not holding my breath, there are no guarantees in the NBA even with the worst record.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO, now that the Spurs may or may not be in the mix to get him with the #1 pick, all of a sudden Adam Silver is urging teams not to tank for him. The league and ESPN know no bounds for their hatred of San Antonio, LOL.

Thread Information