Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Facts. Teams they hate Lakers/Mavs/Warriors play 8 on 5 ...but teams they like overcome this bias Spurs/Bucks/Raptors/Heatles which makes no sense...
    , Killa, the Spurs benefited from "this bias"...so did the Heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers were hosed at the end of Game 5 of the Kings series so it all evens out. There was a 7th game on their home floor and they proceeded to miss half their FTs and air balled lots of crunch time shots.
    Won’t disagree on that tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yup, I thought they were the best team in the WC that year with a healthy Webber.

Everyone focused on 2002 but what if Webber doesn't blow his knee the following postseason?

Kings still pushed the Mavericks to 7 after losing Webber in Game 2

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone focused on 2002 but what if Webber doesn't blow his knee the following postseason?

Kings still pushed the Mavericks to 7 after losing Webber in Game 2

Always gonna be what ifs.

What if KG doesn't go down in 09. C's three-peat at a minimum probably.

Yea, the Kings may have won in 03 with healthy Webber.

We all know they were the real champions of 02 as well.

01 Trailblazers were real champs as well.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    The previous year when they played and the Lakers swept it was actually a lot closer than people thought. 3/4 games were nailbiters but just like the 2002 series, Sacto always found a way to choke away the close games (shady Game 5 notwithstanding). Same with Game 5 against Utah in 1999 or Games 3 and 7 against Minny in 2004. That team was born to choke.
    part of me wonders how much of it is choking, and how much was their lack of star power. because in close games when defenses turn up, that's where the stars shine because they can still make things happen, whereas the non-stars but really solid players tend to falter. their only true star was Webber and even he had his limitations. I feel they were more like the raptors of recent years with solid well rounded rosters, good depth, but their lack of legit star power always lost to the bigger stars

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Always gonna be what ifs.

What if KG doesn't go down in 09. C's three-peat at a minimum probably.

Yea, the Kings may have won in 03 with healthy Webber.

We all know they were the real champions of 02 as well.

01 Trailblazers were real champs as well.
    so in derps world, "what ifs" due to injury aren't worthy of discussion and don't count

but somehow the 02 kings and 01 blazers were "real" champs and worthy conversations because he thinks the refs were biased

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    2002 kings, 2006 spurs?
    Best championship team to never win a back to back le?

1999** Spurs
    2003 Spurs
    2005 Spurs
    2007 Spurs
    2014 Spurs

Never repeated? Laker fans can't relate

**50 game seasn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1999** Spurs
    2003 Spurs
    2005 Spurs
    2007 Spurs
    2014 Spurs

**50 game seasn
    Faker Fan dissing a small market team that without FA and ref advantage won 5 and had highest winning percentage over 2 decades.

Meanwhile Fakers with all sort of market advantages have 15 sort of legit les and cannot count the one came versus Kings and again one cannot count the sham bubble tourney at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but somehow the 02 kings and 01 blazers were "real" champs and worthy conversations because he thinks the refs were biased
    Anyone who supports a ref who calls a T on a Laker playoff opponent for "staring" is a ass mofo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Faker Fan dissing a small market team that without FA and ref advantage won 5 and had highest winning percentage over 2 decades.

Meanwhile Fakers with all sort of market advantages have 15 sort of legit les and cannot count the one came versus Kings and again one cannot count the sham bubble tourney at all.
    Here is their *star* playing some stellar D and getting rewarded for it.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's just an individual season, I think the 2015/16 Spurs have to be up there. 1st defensively, 4th offensively and the best net rating in the league on their way to 67 wins.

02 Kings were pretty damn good, too.
    2016 Spurs could very well be the best team not to even make the conference finals. Their regular season stats were basically even with the 73-win Warriors.

The 2004 and 2006 Spurs also led the league in net rating (though not close to the ridiculous +11.3 of the 2016 Spurs) and failed to make the conference finals.

I haven't done much research here, but what other le contenders (I guess the condition would be top 5 overall net rating? Or top 2 in their conference?) have failed to make it out of round 2?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    i clearly missed the point

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1999** Spurs
    2003 Spurs
    2005 Spurs
    2007 Spurs
    2014 Spurs

**50 game seasn
    You guys were able to relate this year when the Suns knocked you off in round 1.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 Spurs could very well be the best team not to even make the conference finals. Their regular season stats were basically even with the 73-win Warriors.

The 2004 and 2006 Spurs also led the league in net rating (though not close to the ridiculous +11.3 of the 2016 Spurs) and failed to make the conference finals.

I haven't done much research here, but what other le contenders (I guess the condition would be top 5 overall net rating? Or top 2 in their conference?) have failed to make it out of round 2?
    After a bit of research, teams that led the league in regular season net rating but failed to get out of round 2 in the last 25 years:

2020 Bucks
    2016 Spurs
    2013 Thunder
    2012 Bulls (lost in round 1)
    2006 Spurs
    2004 Spurs

Injuries were a big part of the Thunder (Westbrook) and Bulls (Rose) losses. So yeah, the Spurs have certainly had a disproportionate share of playoff underperformance versus regular season, at least as far as leading the league in net rating is concerned.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I would not have guessed the 04 Spurs were best in net rating. The 06 Spurs are no surprise, though.

After a bit of research, teams that led the league in regular season net rating but failed to get out of round 2 in the last 25 years:

2020 Bucks
    2016 Spurs
    2013 Thunder
    2006 Spurs
    2004 Spurs

Injuries were a big part of the Thunder (Westbrook) and Bulls (Rose) losses. So yeah, the Spurs have certainly had a disproportionate share of playoff underperformance versus regular season, at least as far as leading the league in net rating is concerned.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That one team who had it's restraining ropes strung, the charter on the tarmac/MiamiX///Bexar County residents heading out to SAX and the television was selling their .

Anyway---the sound of that in' horn as Horry's shot came in. I God's.

or, this cut...

- "I'm still 6'10", 240."
    - Kupchak-knee shackled-in tears-Bertka aside him---9 June 1985---Boston, Massachusetts

Banned
    My Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    Post Count

2020 Bucks
    2016 Spurs
    2013 Thunder
    2006 Spurs
    2004 Spurs

2013 Spurs were better than 2013 Thunder.
    An argument could be made that 2013 Thunder better than 2013 Heat though.

Banned
    My Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    Post Count

2020 Bucks
    2016 Spurs
    2013 Thunder
    2006 Spurs
    2004 Spurs

I would compare them to 02 Nets. Anything possible; but not a shock if they don't ring.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lakers were hosed at the end of Game 5 of the Kings series so it all evens out. There was a 7th game on their home floor and they proceeded to miss half their FTs and air balled lots of crunch time shots. I can see why this board loves them, though. Kids here love championing groups of people who blame others for their shortcomings.
    Yep...they choked games 4, 6, and 7 IMO. I remember them clearly getting rattled in LA in 4 and 6 specifically. The Lakers would look like sh!t for 70% of each game, but then turned up the defensive intensity and everyone in a King uniform not named Bibby or Divac would sh!t their pants. Divac actually played fairly well considering what he was going up against tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo wasn’t bad either

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not have guessed the 04 Spurs were best in net rating. The 06 Spurs are no surprise, though.
    The 04 Spurs team was nasty, they were destroying the Lakers in the first two games of their series until Phil Jackson decided it, I'm not guarding Turkoglu and that scrub couldn't hit wide open threes with no one within 15 feet of him. Horry was pretty bad that series for the Spurs too before becoming a stone cold assassin in the 2004-05 playoffs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep...they choked games 4, 6, and 7 IMO. I remember them clearly getting rattled in LA in 4 and 6 specifically. The Lakers would look like sh!t for 70% of each game, but then turned up the defensive intensity and everyone in a King uniform not named Bibby or Divac would sh!t their pants. Divac actually played fairly well considering what he was going up against tbh
    They almost choked Game 3 away too. Lakers went on this ridiculous run in the third to cut a 25 point lead to like 6 or 7 in maybe 2:00 of game time. Game 6 though, that got stolen from them. I hated that Kings team at the time though, I really wanted the Lakers to win that series and thought Game 6 was funny as .

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never noticed Raef stepping on C-Webb's foot before. You see it in this video unlike some others.

It even looks like it may have been done to prevent the alley oop. Najera rubbing off on him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this 2012 Laker team got rid of the guy with the almond shaped head how far could they have moved up?
    The chucking guy who played no D.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They almost choked Game 3 away too. Lakers went on this ridiculous run in the third to cut a 25 point lead to like 6 or 7 in maybe 2:00 of game time. Game 6 though, that got stolen from them. I hated that Kings team at the time though, I really wanted the Lakers to win that series and thought Game 6 was funny as .
    I rewatched those games fairly recently and remember that run. There were definitely some BS calls in Game 6. But each game in LA practically followed the same script...Kings would run them off the court in the first half. Then they'd get noticeably tentative and soft late in the second half whenever the Lakers started getting physical, trapping, and gambling on defense.

On the flip side, the Spurs in Game 6 the next year calmly picked them apart whenever they got into desperation mode.

Thread Information