Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got about $140M reasons to not retire and again, he doesn't have leverage.

S bag had 1 season left on his contract. If he'd had 4, they'd have been able to command a king's ransom despite his antics to surpress his value.
    I mean we've seen the limitations of this current FO the past few years, whose to say they're even capable of demanding anything remotely close to a king's ransom for Simmons? The rest of the NBA has seen the Spurs as the butt-end of a joke in trade discussions. Wouldn't shock me if they moved him for the corpse of John Wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From everything I've heard (got a lot of family in and around Philly) the dude clubs harder than LDN ever did and is never in the gym. It wouldn't shock me at all if he decides to "rehab" or retire altogether.
    It would be kind of shocking, because he doesn't get his contract if he retires. Lots of players club (like Green apparently). They don't have to do it in the city in which they work. Benefit of being a millionaire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Timvp - I’m wayyyy more hesitant about the picks part than players. I don’t really want Simmons but I’m fine with taking gambles. However SA needs to really protect themselves here on the downside and you do that by not dumping tons of picks.

I’m ok with 2: one of our and the bulls. That’s it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray, Walker, Vassell, Poeltl and Bulls first round pick for Simmons, Tolliver and Reed? I don't think I do it but I think that's basically what it'd take if the Spurs want to trade for Simmons but are hesitant to give up one of their first rounders.
    Are you expecting a lot out of Vassell these next couple of years? Didn't really blow anybody away in his rookie season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be kind of shocking, because he doesn't get his contract if he retires. Lots of players club (like Green apparently). They don't have to do it in the city in which they work. Benefit of being a millionaire.
    Like I said, dude might be a headcase. Plus money isn't as much of a factor for him since he comes from a fairly well-off family iirc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I mentioned before, I think the Spurs need to pick their untouchables and hold onto them. Beyond that, everyone else on the team is there to serve the goal of either improving the members of the core (like trading for a new blue-chip player) or to create the best environment possible for the core to succeed. If Vassell is the core guy, you don't trade him. But if he's not, then moving him and keeping the picks is the smarter move, in my opinion. The Spurs should be prioritizing flexibility over talent in this deal, so keep their natural picks unen bered and holding onto their expiring contracts is a huge win, because they won't be done building with just Simmons and the blue-chippers. They'll need to be active in future trade markets, and while a Vassell who's not seen as the core would still be nice, but he would ultimately just be a role-player on a team in transition. If they get a contending core together, they will be able to acquire those role-players later. But trading a 2022 first means you lose out on 3/8 of the team's tradeable firsts (because in this case, the CHI first is also gone). If you protect that pick for three years, you miss out 6/8 of the tradeable picks. It's really damaging to the club's long-term trade prospects to give up picks if they have an alternative.
    I'm not saying Vassell is untouchable....but it was presented as Vassell or a 1st in that particular scenario...I'm saying I'd value Vassell more than a future 1st....in that particular scenario..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop + Forbes + Thad + Aminu + Luka FOR Simmons + a Philly cheesesteak. If they take Brian Wright, we can drop the cheesesteak demand. Seriously though, it would at the very least make the Spurs relevant in mainstream NBA media but it's hard to see guys like Poetl, KJ and Dj starting given their shooting limitations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray + Thad + Jakob + CHI 1st + top 14 protected SA 1st

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray + Thad + Jakob + CHI 1st + top 14 protected SA 1st
    Yup...that's a solid offer for Simmons at this juncture... they can reroute Poeltl if they want to get more picks or a better player fit...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would have been better Simmons or DeRozan?

I kinda think DDR is the better player tbh at least he isn't afraid of the moment. The only thing Simmons has on him is that he is younger and plays better defense but i guess he does fit the timeline much better. If we can get him cheap sure but the asking price has been sky high so far...
    He is ELITE on defense and court vision/passing. He’s made 2 first team All D, 3 AS games, and one All NBA team. He also finished 2nd in DPOY this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons > DePression even with his shooting shortcomings tbh. Problem is his dedication to basketball and willingness to play in SA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean we've seen the limitations of this current FO the past few years, whose to say they're even capable of demanding anything remotely close to a king's ransom for Simmons? The rest of the NBA has seen the Spurs as the butt-end of a joke in trade discussions. Wouldn't shock me if they moved him for the corpse of John Wall.
    They obviously wouldn't trade for him with the intention of it coming to that, I'm just saying if it does and he's repaired his value, is 27, with 2 years remaining, try as they might, even they'd replace at least most of the value given up.

Yup...that's a solid offer for Simmons at this juncture... they can reroute Poeltl if they want to get more picks or a better player fit...
    Nah, it isn't. Poeltl and Young have to be rerouted for assets that'd make sense for them and the protection on the Spurs 1st would have to be dropped significantly.

I do think Simmons' actions could expedite the timeline (especially if they get the sense Lillard is locked in at least through the season), but at the same time he's signed for 4 years and Morey isn't PATFO. I don't think he'll care about the noise and his reputation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons and DeRozan are close when you factor everything in, but the things holding Ben back are theoretically workable. Him being younger and signed to a long-term deal are also things hugely in his favor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about les at the end of the day. Is trading for Simmons going to make us le contenders? If the answer is no then what's the point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is ELITE on defense and court vision/passing. He’s made 2 first team All D, 3 AS games, and one All NBA team. He also finished 2nd in DPOY this year.
    I remember you mentioned before, increasing his 3pt shot percentage to a something respectable, also his FT’s and he become an MVP candidate. FO is betting it’s all in his mind. Simmons have good mechanics.

I’m for getting Simmons. This opportunity does not come often to a small market. If I’m a betting man, I’ll bet on Spurs winning organization to turn this kid around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about les at the end of the day. Is trading for Simmons going to make us le contenders? If the answer is no then what's the point?
    There's nobody that could make us a le contender by themselves.... you have to add more later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's dream of finally playing Forbes 48 minutes per game might get realized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    confirmed by a trusted source

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons and DeRozan are close when you factor everything in, but the things holding Ben back are theoretically workable. Him being younger and signed to a long-term deal are also things hugely in his favor.

I have to disagree. Simmons plays team oriented game instead of heavy ISO, All-NBA Defensive player, and way younger to still work on his outside shots. Demar WILL NOT change anymore at his age. There’s a wide gap between the two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons alone bumps up to a 35 win team from the current 25 win team. Still sniffing that lottery pick though which would go to Philly for the next 5 years after Morey bends Brian Wrong over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    confirmed by a trusted source

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nobody that could make us a le contender by themselves.... you have to add more later.
    Yes but the domino starts with one tile. The rest will follow, ring chasers. You get Simmons playing All NBA, with Pop and in the Spurs, soon the winning culture change, players start working harder, other players will like to come. It starts with one. I mean, Pop pulls this off, he can go ride in the sunset and forget about what Nephew could have been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re going to burst a vein. Take a chill pill.
    Lol, off you little .

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo a good deal is only if:
    1) spurs wont include our two 1sts in next two extremely good drafts
    2) wont include keldon and primo
    3) be 10000% sure that simmons is ok with playing in san antonio and is aware that it will take time to build a team around him (probably 2-3 yrs)

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassel has all the makings of an upper tier glue guy and I would value him about how I’d value say someone like Marcus Smart.

Murray or White. I have no issue with. Walker has offense and this team has none and it’s not like offense would be coming back in this trade.

Poodle. Fine.

Bulls 1st and a couple 2nds. Fine.

I’d be hesitant to add one our 1sts.

I don’t really want to give up for this diva.

Thread Information