Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1898
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know what they've offered? I really haven't seen a reliable link or source that claims to know. Have you?
    I strongly suspect that nothing was offered. The Spurs probably enquired out of curiosity and things didn't progress beyond that. Philly has stated they want equal value to what they think Ben Simmons is worth.
    Maybe the Spurs said something like we'd be interested what would you like and Philly said you don't have anything. Of course I have no direct knowledge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guessing his post was sarcasm ...
    Nope-- serious question. If there were names being mentioned by someone reliable like Woj or Shams I'd take these posts claiming to know what was offered more seriously. Otherwise, it's just pointless debate.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 10-04-2021 at 01:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know what they've offered? I really haven't seen a reliable link or source that claims to know. Have you?
    The Spurs haven't offered anything. It's all complete bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope-- serious question. If there were names being mentioned by someone reliable like Woj or Shams I'd take these posts claiming to know what was offered more seriously. Otherwise, it's just pointless debate.
    Welcome to SpursTalk…thirteen years ago.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He doesn't know jack Mrs. Body is a sniffer with consistently terrible takes that thinks he speaks for PATFO and thinks his word somehow carries more weight than guys like Zach Lowe, Marc Stein, Bobby Marks, and other sports journalists who have all confirmed the Spurs have been in discussions dude doesnt know , and it's hilarious how he keeps posting in this thread talking about how people are wasting their time discussing potential trade scenarios when he's wasting his time repeating the same bull like anyone gives a

Tbh i'm getting tired of the chumps on this site that try to look down their nose on other posters for having discussions about trades, roster changes, free agents, etc. Newsflash to those idiots - that is the ing point of the forum, to discuss these things

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the meta commentary about fans talking about the team is a weird meme this off-season. I got on Ex about gate-keeping, but this is so much worse than what he's ever done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't know jack Mrs. Body is a sniffer with consistently terrible takes that thinks he speaks for PATFO and thinks his word somehow carries more weight than guys like Zach Lowe, Marc Stein, Bobby Marks, and other sports journalists who have all confirmed the Spurs have been in discussions dude doesnt know , and it's hilarious how he keeps posting in this thread talking about how people are wasting their time discussing potential trade scenarios when he's wasting his time repeating the same bull like anyone gives a

Tbh i'm getting tired of the chumps on this site that try to look down their nose on other posters for having discussions about trades, roster changes, free agents, etc. Newsflash to those idiots - that is the ing point of the forum, to discuss these things
    First of all, I gotta laugh at you for believing ESPN. After all these years, to believe their garbage is truly impressive. But then we live in a world now of utterly idiotic people who cannot figure out even basics. I wonder how you manage to eat every day, much less wipe your ass.

Second. If you paid any attention whatsoever to this entire summer, it was completely clear that Simmons had no or little market. The way Morey was acting early on, requesting these huge packages for him straight off the bat was the actions of someone who knew he didn't have anything. That's classic market-making behavior. It didn't work.

Third. After that, you had these media dip s periodically floating teams as being interested. And those were lies. Just press heelery. Dumb ery. You shouldn't have believed any of that garbage.

Fourth. You have to actually look at Simmons as a player and person. I mean this beyond using him as your -fantasies. Good ing lord, is he wildly overrated in so many ways. Even if he wasn't... he's a total avoid. Even if he wasn't those two things, he's incredibly expensive and his contract is actually way too long.

Fifth. The Spurs going after this guy? What the . Loooooool.

Finally: You've all been proven wrong. 100% wrong. No one wants him. You've wasted y'alls time and some of you are acting like babies because of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the meta commentary about fans talking about the team is a weird meme this off-season. I got on Ex about gate-keeping, but this is so much worse than what he's ever done.
    Commenter commenting on commenters commenting. Like meta, squared?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    First of all, I gotta laugh at you for believing ESPN. After all these years, to believe their garbage is truly impressive. But then we live in a world now of utterly idiotic people who cannot figure out even basics. I wonder how you manage to eat every day, much less wipe your ass.

Second. If you paid any attention whatsoever to this entire summer, it was completely clear that Simmons had no or little market. The way Morey was acting early on, requesting these huge packages for him straight off the bat was the actions of someone who knew he didn't have anything. That's classic market-making behavior. It didn't work.

Third. After that, you had these media dip s periodically floating teams as being interested. And those were lies. Just press heelery. Dumb ery. You shouldn't have believed any of that garbage.

Fourth. You have to actually look at Simmons as a player and person. I mean this beyond using him as your -fantasies. Good ing lord, is he wildly overrated in so many ways. Even if he wasn't... he's a total avoid. Even if he wasn't those two things, he's incredibly expensive and his contract is actually way too long.

Finally: You've all been proven wrong. 100% wrong. No one wants him. You've wasted y'alls time and some of you are acting like babies because of it.
    this was a long winded way to say "i'm a re who doesnt know ." this is literally just your stupid opinion with no actual proof of anything you're claiming, your entire point comes down to "hurr durr ESPN is fake news, please take my sniffer opinion as fact"

so in summation - you dont know what the you're talking about, have no clue what anyone is thinking, and you have zero inside knowledge and are basing all of this on your own opinions.

btw dip , Marc Stein doesnt work for ESPN, and Philly's own sports reporter that works for their local newspaper, who also doesnt work for ESPN, reported the same. now sit your uppity ass down and shut the up

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this point of the season you just roll with what you got and reassess at the deadline.. there's a good chance he'll be available then... and at that point we may just run with what we have because if Philly is considering us it's because what we are offering is marketably better then they thought or maybe even we thought... the only reason I'd consider Ben is just to consolidate many solid pieces into a better piece especially if you know you can't keep everyone long term. I mean a piece like Ben may move the needle if we are theoretically solid already...

All things considered, don't want. Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk is extra feisty today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nothing mentioned. Just the vaque tweets by random that Spurs are sniffing it out or Spurs listed as a possible destination

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs still would want Simmons after he pulled a "Kawhi" on the Sixers, I'd be pretty disappointed in them.

Simmons isn't going to come here and try to be a fit, or a team player, or buy into the "Spurs Way". If anything he'll "Kawhi" us at his first opportunity. Heck, no guarantee he'd even show up.

When we were looking to sign one of he Morris brothers, I just couldn't understand that a team that touts the importance of having "character" guys would want a sh!tbag like Morris. Simmons is a bigger sh!tbag. At one point I thought we couldn't pass on him for the right price. My opinion, especially as things have progressed with his camp, has changed.

DO NOT WANT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this was a long winded way to say "i'm a re who doesnt know ." this is literally just your stupid opinion with no actual proof of anything you're claiming, your entire point comes down to "hurr durr ESPN is fake news, please take my sniffer opinion as fact"

so in summation - you dont know what the you're talking about, have no clue what anyone is thinking, and you have zero inside knowledge and are basing all of this on your own opinions.

btw dip , Marc Stein doesnt work for ESPN, and Philly's own sports reporter that works for their local newspaper, who also doesnt work for ESPN, reported the same. now sit your uppity ass down and shut the up
    Hey. When did Simmons get traded? What big circus of teams lining up to trade for him do you see?

Thought so. You ain't got . You're ing atrociously wrong and know it.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs still would want Simmons after he pulled a "Kawhi" on the Sixers, I'd be pretty disappointed in them.

Simmons isn't going to come here and try to be a fit, or a team player, or buy into the "Spurs Way". If anything he'll "Kawhi" us at his first opportunity. Heck, no guarantee he'd even show up.

When we were looking to sign one of he Morris brothers, I just couldn't understand that a team that touts the importance of having "character" guys would want a sh!tbag like Morris. Simmons is a bigger sh!tbag. At one point I thought we couldn't pass on him for the right price. My opinion, especially as things have progressed with his camp, has changed.

DO NOT WANT
    Over paying in free agency is one thing but I don’t think we’ve seen a history of them over paying in trades. At least not when in pursuit. Which is rare to begin with.

They typically look at stuff like this as an off chance to make a steal.

For the record I don’t want the guy either but if you give up one of White or Murray a 1st(not 22) and a filler that would be worth it no doubt.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tl;dr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because Philly hasn't caved doesn't mean teams aren't making offers. Simmons not being traded yet doesn't mean no one is interested. That's just silly

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They probably offered Murray based on some of the stuff Dejounte was posting on social media earlier this summer and since he's represented by Klutch just like Simmons is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "no Simmons at any cost" camp is hard for me to understand. Of course it isn't hard for you, because you're in it.

We come to different conclusions because we make different assumptions. It looks like you think Simmons will always choke in the playoffs and will never be worth his salary. I think he has enough talent that, while not being capable of carrying a team to a le like a true superstar, can still be a solid #2/#3 guy on a contender. I don't think a wall of text on the part of either of us will convince the other at this point, though.
    I was going to one-up your replies, but tbh, your last sentence sums it up pretty well. It's just as wild to me that you think Simmons will ever be worth his contract and develop into an "alpha", max-worthy role, and desire to live in SanAn still, as it is wild for you to think that he certainly won't. I was simply explaining, since you were having trouble understanding, the perspective of No Simmons, since it's quite clear to me. You can disagree of course, but now you know.

I'll forever wonder where the you think the Spurs will pull that #1 option from with Simmons on the team, though. No tanking since he's a floor-raiser, his dislikable outside persona being the exact opposite of what you'd want if you wanted to lure a second star FA to SanAn, and a cap instantly messed up, if not outright tied up, the second he and his $33M/year come into the books. I guess Primo could grow into one while Simmons is under contract? I wonder...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://sports.yahoo.com/sixers-ben-...195808678.html

Guess they paid him into an escrow account and are fining him and recouping costs from that escrow account

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Primo could grow into one while Simmons is under contract? I wonder...
    Damn, only took one preseason game for my prediction to come true

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DO NOT WANT
    Yeah except the Spurs didn't want to trade Kawhi, he simply forced them to. 76ers secretly want to trade him, they just want to get as much value as they can. They'd be looking to trade him if he was all-in for them this season.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was going to one-up your replies, but tbh, your last sentence sums it up pretty well. It's just as wild to me that you think Simmons will ever be worth his contract and develop into an "alpha", max-worthy role, and desire to live in SanAn still, as it is wild for you to think that he certainly won't. I was simply explaining, since you were having trouble understanding, the perspective of No Simmons, since it's quite clear to me. You can disagree of course, but now you know.

I'll forever wonder where the you think the Spurs will pull that #1 option from with Simmons on the team, though. No tanking since he's a floor-raiser, his dislikable outside persona being the exact opposite of what you'd want if you wanted to lure a second star FA to SanAn, and a cap instantly messed up, if not outright tied up, the second he and his $33M/year come into the books. I guess Primo could grow into one while Simmons is under contract? I wonder...
    I don't think Simmons will be an alpha, but imo it's fine to have your #2 player on a max deal, at least if it isn't one of the 10-year vet maxes that takes up 35% of the cap. What max deals do is underpay true superstars and overpay #2 guys. I know that the Spurs getting a true superstar on a max deal is difficult/unlikely, but having Simmons on his current contract would be a good thing if they somehow do land that superstar.

For me, getting Simmons is like a "luck = preparation + opportunity" thing. Get Simmons on the team now, and if lightning strikes and you can get the right star to pair him with, you can be at least a darkhorse contender. I don't think the Spurs are going to sniff contention without taking some chances, and Simmons (at the right price) is a chance worth taking. Just my opinion of course.

Just so I know, what is your basis for calling Simmons a diva? Is it only him going public about wanting out? Diva at udes among All-Star players seems like just something you have to deal with. There isn't enough high-end talent to be picky about character, and while I can't say I'm a huge fan of Simmons's at ude, I don't think he's a locker room cancer. But if you have more evidence than my admittedly spotty memory provides, you could change my mind on that rather easily.

I also don't see how the Spurs' cap situation would be that much worse. A Simmons trade would presumably include one of Murray and White. Even if the rest of the salary matching is expirings, that would only add about $16M to the Spurs' cap sheet next year, which is already only at $75M. The Simmons trade would limit the Spurs' flexibility compared to no trade, but it wouldn't put them in the tax or make it hard to make further deals. The Spurs' cap sheet is pretty clean right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Simmons will be an alpha, but imo it's fine to have your #2 player on a max deal, at least if it isn't one of the 10-year vet maxes that takes up 35% of the cap. What max deals do is underpay true superstars and overpay #2 guys. I know that the Spurs getting a true superstar on a max deal is difficult/unlikely, but having Simmons on his current contract would be a good thing if they somehow do land that superstar.
    The thing is, you think Simmons being on the Spurs makes it significantly more likely that they land that #1 guy, and I think it's exactly the opposite. Again, perfectly fine to disagree, it's just our opinions after all, but I don't see this at all: which top-of-the-league talent would look at small market SanAn, filled with no-name roleplayers and rooks, and one of the most unlikeable top guys in the league as the current top dog of the team, who's also known to have trouble sharing touches/ball dominance (you can refer to Embiid's comments on why Philly moved on from Butler for a source on this, btw, not to mention the Simmons/Embiid relationship itself), and go "yeah, now that's a team I could win a championship with!"?? Can you think of an actual, serious example of which FA would fit the mold? I literally have zero guys that fit this mold. I acknowledge not getting Simmons isn't going to make the SanAn destination more palatable, that much I can agree with you on, but I don't think bringing BS over is a plus as you make it seem. To the contrary.

For me, getting Simmons is like a "luck = preparation + opportunity" thing. Get Simmons on the team now, and if lightning strikes and you can get the right star to pair him with, you can be at least a darkhorse contender. I don't think the Spurs are going to sniff contention without taking some chances, and Simmons (at the right price) is a chance worth taking. Just my opinion of course.
    Refer to above on "lightning striking". It's far, far, far easier to look for that "lightning" at the top of the lottery, than it is to hope some random disgruntled star will "take their talents to Texas beach", so to speak, and Simmons rules out the former option entirely. And, I agree the Spurs won't sniff contention without taking chances: my point all along has been - yes, do take chances, but why this specific chance, that's about as sure to fail as a chance can ever be? You never make moves just to make a move, and BS on SA flat out screams that to me. Again, IMO, of course.

Just so I know, what is your basis for calling Simmons a diva? Is it only him going public about wanting out? Diva at udes among All-Star players seems like just something you have to deal with. There isn't enough high-end talent to be picky about character, and while I can't say I'm a huge fan of Simmons's at ude, I don't think he's a locker room cancer. But if you have more evidence than my admittedly spotty memory provides, you could change my mind on that rather easily.
    I mean, the fact that he's pulling a Kawhi 2.0 on the Sixers should be enough evidence in itself, right? And enough argument to stay off him entirely, too, though you obviously don't see it as such. Look at it objectively: the guy is literally avoiding his teammates and team executives (told his teammates not to fly over and try to change his mind, eerily similar to Kawhi hiding from the team, don't you think?), he's actively missing games and team duties despite being on a whopping 4-year max contract, AND, worst of all - he does not have nearly enough game in him to back up his diva behavior. I agree with you that certain diva tendencies are to be expected of top players - and BS simply isn't. Not nearly enough.

Above all, the thing that irks me the most about this saga is him trying to spin this about getting his feelings hurt and feeling "betrayed" by his team - when the guy was laying a hot, steamy all over the Sixers court during crunch time of an entire playoff series. I don't gotta tell you the stats, do I? How can anyone, let alone a supposed franchise cornerstone, take offense to the not-even-directly-critical comments made by Doc or Embiid, after having such a wholly ty performance over an entire crucial playoff series? Embiid was hard carrying his team, averaging close to 30PPG on a torn meniscus, and even then all he talked about in exit interviews was about how he and the team had to get better, do better. Accountability. Reminded me of Timmy in a way. And Simmons? Where's the accountability? Dude hasn't even gotten close to admitting he had a bad series, let alone field the criticism rightly coming his way off it. No, burn the bridge, the fans and the city, my feelings got hurt and I'm leaving. Seriously? And you want this guy on the Spurs?!

Other diva behaviors that aren't as recent/known, just FYI: dated a Kardashian (about as red a flag as you can get in regards to this specific topic), dismissed the Sixers' shooting/training staff in order to be coached by his literal brother (Uncle Dennis much?), close-knit circle composed mostly of family members advising him over every decision he makes; and above all, a relentless unwillingness to face any sort of criticism head-on, instead deflect, deflect, deflect. , his previous coach literally called him out to the media to at least ATTEMPT a single three per game. You know what he did? That's right..... Literally ignored it and never shot from deep again, until his coach was sacked. Yeah, total team guy.

I also don't see how the Spurs' cap situation would be that much worse. A Simmons trade would presumably include one of Murray and White. Even if the rest of the salary matching is expirings, that would only add about $16M to the Spurs' cap sheet next year, which is already only at $75M. The Simmons trade would limit the Spurs' flexibility compared to no trade, but it wouldn't put them in the tax or make it hard to make further deals. The Spurs' cap sheet is pretty clean right now.
    I have no problem conceding this point; I'm not nearly versed enough in the Spurs' current cap situation to argue one way or another. To me, it's less about how the Spurs' cap space would look like, and more about how BS's on-court play isn't nearly justifying his $33M/year, and so no matter what other contracts you have, that'll always hinder your ability to build a team. Not to mention the fact that he's insistent on only playing PG, despite having the biggest flaw a PG can have in the NBA (no true shot or shooting threat), which throws a huge wrench in your team-building plans even before you look at the rest of the positions, since you're forced to supplement that playmaking threat in other, less available positions (there aren't many 5's initiating offense in crunch time in this league, for example, and not many 4's besides Giannis).

So yeah, all-around what I'd call a -sandwich. So I look at it this way... And then I think that we have to give up assets to have the pleasure of working with Benny boy........ And it really doesn't make sense to me. At all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information