Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1898
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its all about leverage in this situation and each party trying to show they have more of it. I do think Simmons has really handled this kind of stupidly to this point. I understand his frustration at being at the whim of the club who is blaming him for the losses, but I can't help but be amazed at how stupidly he's handled it after the trade demand. His main problem is that his 4 years under contract rob him of leverage and the Sixers aren't desperate to get something for his absence so they're willing to sit on it for the time being. Simmons best move to get paid and force a trade is likely to show up and do what Harden did last year. So far he's showed up and obviously not been trying which gives the Sixers the right to fine him and deny him being paid. If the Sixers aren't having to pay a player a huge salary that isn't contributing then they're not losing out very much. If they start the season and look reasonably good, then there will be absolutely zero chance Simmons gets traded at any point soon.

Morey is obviously full of about waiting 4 years to trade him, but by this point Simmons should realize he has little choice but to show up and give the bare minimum in effort. I know people are eager to compare this to Kawhi and Harden, but I think Philly treated Simmons way worse than either of those other two EVER got treated. Especially Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether it's David Robinson, Kawhi Leonard, or Zach Collins, if the player is physically unable to play, then the team still has to pay.
    Ben Simmons back problem may be fake, but proving otherwise will be tough.
    I don't believe this for a second. Simmons has shown that he has wanted to get out of playing all offseason. I think any reasonable smart lawyer can easily point that out and show that an injury that just props up out of no where and has no medical support is bull . Its like when Trump did nothing but tweet about muslim bans then tried calling it a travel ban and the courts said no you dumb .

He's honestly handled it very stupidly. Pretty bad look for Klutch imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Softest MF’er in the league. Mental midget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I'm at the point where I'll ride with DJM over this dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, how pathetic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sixers lost every single leverage they had. They cannot fine him, because mental health awareness is trendy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said on RGM, it's entirely possible that, rather than the mental issue being the latest excuse for Simmons not playing, it's been the actual reason this whole time and he used the other stuff as an attempt to cover up for it. We live in a society where a man can't have a mental breakdown without it being seen as a character flaw rather than a medical issue. The dude clearly has some mental hangups when it comes to shooting that just aren't normal. He's been shat on pretty continuously this off-season, including dude's like Kelce who had no reason to bring Simmons up. No amount of money is going to prevent someone who already has issues from being vulnerable to that type of pressure. We don't have to feel sorry for him because of that, but it's certainly something I'm not going to dismiss out of hand.

Despite the Philly leaked yesterday, I can totally see a scenario where Simmons explained his mental aversion to playing for the team again, and Morey, famous for his view of players as assets was like, "Yeah, no. You're gonna play for us and like it until your value goes up." For Morey, it's better if Simmons is an asshole than have a condition, because the condition would affect his trade value even more. He remembers Royce White just as clearly as remembers Harden. The blatant unprofessionalism he's shown during this is astounding, even if Simmons is basically wrong. I know I'd absolutely not want to be part of that team as long as he's there. Simmons and even Klutch have refrained from attacking the organization in any way. It's so different than it was with Leonard. Simmons isn't looking to save his reputation -- he doesn't even seem all that concerned about getting money. He seems to mostly just REALLY want out. That doesn't mean the Sixers have to trade him, but it does mean we should reconsider how big of a villain Simmons is. It's like how LeVeon Bell got so much hate for not playing for the Steelers even though he didn't take any money from them that last year and just stuck to his guns about preserving his body. It's easy to be made at missing out on the on-floor product, but ultimately athletes are humans first, and sometimes they'll have to make moves from that perspective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good work, Chinook. This is a bad situation for lots of parties. This is the second 1st pick that has a mental problem at shooting in Philly. It's so odd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said on RGM, it's entirely possible that, rather than the mental issue being the latest excuse for Simmons not playing, it's been the actual reason this whole time and he used the other stuff as an attempt to cover up for it. We live in a society where a man can't have a mental breakdown without it being seen as a character flaw rather than a medical issue. The dude clearly has some mental hangups when it comes to shooting that just aren't normal. He's been shat on pretty continuously this off-season, including dude's like Kelce who had no reason to bring Simmons up. No amount of money is going to prevent someone who already has issues from being vulnerable to that type of pressure. We don't have to feel sorry for him because of that, but it's certainly something I'm not going to dismiss out of hand.

Despite the Philly leaked yesterday, I can totally see a scenario where Simmons explained his mental aversion to playing for the team again, and Morey, famous for his view of players as assets was like, "Yeah, no. You're gonna play for us and like it until your value goes up." For Morey, it's better if Simmons is an asshole than have a condition, because the condition would affect his trade value even more. He remembers Royce White just as clearly as remembers Harden. The blatant unprofessionalism he's shown during this is astounding, even if Simmons is basically wrong. I know I'd absolutely not want to be part of that team as long as he's there. Simmons and even Klutch have refrained from attacking the organization in any way. It's so different than it was with Leonard. Simmons isn't looking to save his reputation -- he doesn't even seem all that concerned about getting money. He seems to mostly just REALLY want out. That doesn't mean the Sixers have to trade him, but it does mean we should reconsider how big of a villain Simmons is. It's like how LeVeon Bell got so much hate for not playing for the Steelers even though he didn't take any money from them that last year and just stuck to his guns about preserving his body. It's easy to be made at missing out on the on-floor product, but ultimately athletes are humans first, and sometimes they'll have to make moves from that perspective.
    BS is just not smart enough, he should just go TC and then engage a psychiatrist and said that being among the team gave him depression. Let it leak and then play like and blame it on the depression. Then just chucking 3pts once he got the ball pass half court, ignoring the result saying that he felt the impulse to Chuck 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is fair, but its also hard to give Simmons the benefit of the doubt. That being said, you're 100% right that we shouldn't just write him off because of the way mental is viewed in our society.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good take. That mental health is serious, especially after that Morey’s arrogance in his interview yesterday. Why he’s not fired yet, I don’t know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I'm at the point where I'll ride with DJM over this dude.
    https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...stats-per_game

Of course advanced stats favor Simmons, but basic stats are not that far off
    DJM is two months younger,
    DJM owed 49 Million
    Simmons 140 million

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, he found his loophole to avoid providing services. I want no part of his unprofessional and selfish behavior on our squad and clearly doesn't not have the mental makeup to handle any sort of adversity.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude should just retire IF he is truly suffering from mental health due to pressure of performance anxiety or the pressure of media scrutiny whatever he is claiming if a sports psychiatry can help him fine seek the help you need to mitigate the profound stress of making multimillion dollars annually for putting a ball through a bucket for something he spent years doing prior to getting paid for it. Pfft.

But I don't buy it. Just another excuse to behave like an en led brat.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TINCUP II starring Ben Simmons and a Kardashian as his mental health expert love interest with Doc Rivers as Cheech Marin

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been shat on pretty continuously this off-season, including dude's like Kelce who had no reason to bring Simmons up.
    Kelce went in pretty hard at Simmons. But he has a point. Philly is not a hard place to play if you give it your all - especially if you have the talent (he should know, he’s a perennial top player at his position). The fans will love you unconditionally. But the second you stop giving effort, and Simmons was checked out last year, you’ll have a really hard time getting on their good side again.

Funniest part of the Kelce monologue was how he made fun of Jacksonville. Said it’s hard to play there because fans don’t care.

Simmons belongs with a fan base that doesn’t care like Minnesota.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, he found his loophole to avoid providing services. I want no part of his unprofessional and selfish behavior on our squad and clearly doesn't not have the mental makeup to handle any sort of adversity.
    Yeah, this is my initial thoughts as well. It would be like your lawyer telling you in a criminal case, to plead insanity in order to either get out of the case or take a lesser charge against you. Any who, even if Simmons is legit or not, this is definitely a good card to deal, with a high possibility that it will play in his favor. :popcorn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kelce went in pretty hard at Simmons. But he has a point. Philly is not a hard place to play if you give it your all - especially if you have the talent (he should know, he’s a perennial top player at his position). The fans will love you unconditionally. But the second you stop giving effort, and Simmons was checked out last year, you’ll have a really hard time getting on their good side again.

Funniest part of the Kelce monologue was how he made fun of Jacksonville. Said it’s hard to play there because fans don’t care.

Simmons belongs with a fan base that doesn’t care like Minnesota.
    Fans boo'd McNabb the day he was drafted and were basically luke-warm on him until the day they traded him. Kelce has never had the pressure on him that Simmons, McNabb or even Wentz has. It'd be like TJ McConnell talking . I was in the city for their WS win in 2008, their AFCC run a few months later as well through the beginning of the Hinkie tenure. I have had plenty of experience with their fandom at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

nice take and thanks for posting these observations. the fact that so many people doubt mental illness (or "issues"), makes it that much more difficult for someone to claim mental illness. how someone can claim to know whether or not someone is struggling with personal struggles based on mere conjecture is troubling. shouldn't the norm be that we defer that one is actually struggling versus assuming that person to be feigning a mental condition?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the issue people have now is not the claim itself but the timing of the claim. If he would have come out a few days earlier with the mental health claim people would be more inclined to believe him. But first it was the half-assed appearances at practice, then getting kicked out of practice and suspended for a game, and then he comes back and says his back is hurt followed by the mental health issue. It just looks like he's trying to find any excuse to be out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans boo'd McNabb the day he was drafted and were basically luke-warm on him until the day they traded him. Kelce has never had the pressure on him that Simmons, McNabb or even Wentz has. It'd be like TJ McConnell talking . I was in the city for their WS win in 2008, their AFCC run a few months later as well through the beginning of the Hinkie tenure. I have had plenty of experience with their fandom at this point.
    eagles fans hated andy reid too lol

they always loved Brian Westbrook, DeSean Jackson, and LeSean McCoy though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the issue people have now is not the claim itself but the timing of the claim. If he would have come out a few days earlier with the mental health claim people would be more inclined to believe him. But first it was the half-assed appearances at practice, then getting kicked out of practice and suspended for a game, and then he comes back and says his back is hurt followed by the mental health issue. It just looks like he's trying to find any excuse to be out.
    A lot of people don't admit to a mental problem until they have to. He's been called soft and weak for months now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was frankly scared of admitting his struggles in that climate. I actually find it more believable that he's saying this after an off-season of contention than if he had come out and said this immediately after the off-season. Again, anyone who thinks potential mental issues are JUST NOW coming up for Simmons hasn't been following him closely. Not to mention the family he has going on right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how ty Adam Silver is as a commissioner. Dude is begging Morey to clean up his ing mess. I wouldn’t be surprised at the next CBA if there’s a clause that stops this the players are pulling.

Adam Silver did NOTHING to help the Spurs. And the entire media backed Kawhi and gave us for it. Then AD does the same to NO and again Silver did nothing and the media was all for it. But now big market teams are getting ed and it’s awesome. Houston with Harden. Philly with Simmons. Hopefully Luka and Dallas. Silver has zero management skills and it shows. It’s all up to the owners now. And the way the players are acting, the fans aren’t gonna give a if they do hold out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eagles fans hated andy reid too lol

they always loved Brian Westbrook, DeSean Jackson, and LeSean McCoy though
    To be fair, Brian is the best Westbrook. I don't know how much they like Jackson and McCoy though. I remember they had their fallings out with Chip Kelly, and in Jackson's case at least a lot of people were too willing to side with the racist suggestions Kelly made about him. That has a lot to do with folks getting conned by coaches like Kelly, Kiffin and McDaniels and trusting them over vets. That's its own conversation though.

Thread Information