Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1898
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how ty Adam Silver is as a commissioner. Dude is begging Morey to clean up his ing mess. I wouldn’t be surprised at the next CBA if there’s a clause that stops this the players are pulling.

Adam Silver did NOTHING to help the Spurs. And the entire media backed Kawhi and gave us for it. Then AD does the same to NO and again Silver did nothing and the media was all for it. But now big market teams are getting ed and it’s awesome. Houston with Harden. Philly with Simmons. Hopefully Luka and Dallas. Silver has zero management skills and it shows. It’s all up to the owners now. And the way the players are acting, the fans aren’t gonna give a if they do hold out.
    The NBA is making more money than ever. There are a number of things I don't like about the league anymore, but Silver taking a light hand generates the buzz that convinces companies like Turner and Disney to fork over billions on TV deals.

I'd also caution against the belief that owners have the standing to "discipline" the players as a collective group. The NBPA and NBA are partners that need each other to exist. They're one of the truest balances of labor and capital in the country. I'm not in favor of players stealing money and certainly not of them ing over teams, but I don't think the solution is or should be giving owners more power. Rather it should be in the players coming up with a better culture that takes pride in parity and the willingness to work with front offices rather than have an antagonistic relationship with them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Chinook! Your input is fair and balanced!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans boo'd McNabb the day he was drafted and were basically luke-warm on him until the day they traded him. Kelce has never had the pressure on him that Simmons, McNabb or even Wentz has. It'd be like TJ McConnell talking . I was in the city for their WS win in 2008, their AFCC run a few months later as well through the beginning of the Hinkie tenure. I have had plenty of experience with their fandom at this point.
    I’ve seen the highs and lows too (was in Philly a few years before yours and saw three le game appearances and the highest of highs and the lowest of lows with McNabb).

True, Kelce doesn’t play a position that is as much in the spotlight as others but he’s consistently one of the top few guys at his position each and every year. He also bleeds Philadelphia and is a mainstay at Sixers games.

There’s tough love and there’s hate. Philly fans will boo Bryce Harper if he doesn’t run out a ground ball hard and he can redeem it next time he’s up. But when Aaron Rowand breaks his nose running into the CF fence, he’ll never have to buy a beer in town again.

With Simmons, it makes the Wentz situation look like a walk in the park right now. Wentz was the reason they were even in Super Bowl contention that one year, and made a critical pass on a torn ACL. And left it all on the field up until last season. Meanwhile, Simmons can’t even take a wide open layup in the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I feel more empathy toward Simmons. We cannot underestimate mental issues. A normal person cannot have so much pressure that only make 34% of this free throws in the playoff. Sorry Ben. Why not tell us earlier?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love this by Ben, trolling the out of Morey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve seen the highs and lows too (was in Philly a few years before yours and saw three le game appearances and the highest of highs and the lowest of lows with McNabb).

True, Kelce doesn’t play a position that is as much in the spotlight as others but he’s consistently one of the top few guys at his position each and every year. He also bleeds Philadelphia and is a mainstay at Sixers games.

There’s tough love and there’s hate. Philly fans will boo Bryce Harper if he doesn’t run out a ground ball hard and he can redeem it next time he’s up. But when Aaron Rowand breaks his nose running into the CF fence, he’ll never have to buy a beer in town again.

With Simmons, it makes the Wentz situation look like a walk in the park right now. Wentz was the reason they were even in Super Bowl contention that one year, and made a critical pass on a torn ACL. And left it all on the field up until last season. Meanwhile, Simmons can’t even take a wide open layup in the playoffs.
    Oh yeah. I forgot we share an alma mater. I've been something of an Eagles fan my whole life (started watching back when the Ravens were rarely on TV and there was no NFL team in Texas besides the dreaded Cowboys). So my time in Philly wasn't the start of my experience with the fandom. Certainly like all groups, they have their favorites. Philly doesn't literally hate everyone. Like I haven't met a Sixers fan who doesn't have a good view of Thad for example. I just don't like the idea of mythologizing them and pretending like they're different because you have to earn their trust or whatever. Kelce is possibly better at his job than Simmons is at his, but even if that's true, Simmons' job is way more complicated, and Simmons does a lot of things well.

I think Simmons' pass reminds me most of Cam Newton's non-recovery in his Super Bowl against Denver. Both plays have become basically synonymous with the players, but they've both been warped far beyond what they actually are to fit the narratives. Cam wasn't scared of being hit -- he wrong-footed his approach to the ball and was trying to adjust his dive when Denver got on top of it. Dude broke his body and probably his brain making tough runs. How the narrative formed that he was afraid of contact or wasn't willing to get hit to win or whatever is beyond me. But even if it's true that after years of abusing his body it finally told him "no", why is that worth ridicule? I don't care how many former players who are going to end up as drooling messes with Swiss cheese brains want to waste their last bit of coherency talking about "toughness".

Simmons' mistake was making a bad read. He calculated that he could get Thybulle a better shot than he could take himself. On RGM, a Philly fan posted a gif with another angle of the pass, and it's even more obvious there that Simmons thought he was going to draw Thybulle's defender and get his teammate and open dunk. While he had a scoring chance, he also had multiple guys converging on him who could've stopped the shot. For what reason other than the bull "alpha mentality" would he rather be fouled as a bad free-throw shooter if he can give someone else a dunk? In the end, his misread was that Atlanta was ready for the pass -- and yes, that can be an indictment of Simmons' scoring effectiveness. Because of that, he probably could've gotten the shot up before anyone could foul him. But Atlanta was being really aggressive all game. I can understand Simmons' read, even though it was wrong. Plus, it wasn't actually a critical play. When you have a two possession game with more than three minutes left, a passed up basket isn't the reason you lose. It shouldn't've even been a consideration for Doc or Embiid to talk about.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall still here. Move this to nba forum nothing to do with Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall still here. Move this to nba forum nothing to do with Spurs
    If the thread offends you, don’t click on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, that guy thinks this place is actually moderated.
    It barely is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sincerely hope he’s honest about the mental health thing. It would be a shame if it’s, in fact, a transparent play to get paid. Mental health is serious.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people don't admit to a mental problem until they have to. He's been called soft and weak for months now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was frankly scared of admitting his struggles in that climate. I actually find it more believable that he's saying this after an off-season of contention than if he had come out and said this immediately after the off-season. Again, anyone who thinks potential mental issues are JUST NOW coming up for Simmons hasn't been following him closely. Not to mention the family he has going on right now.
    You may be right. What family stuff/problems are your referring to? What is going on there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may be right. What family stuff/problems are your referring to? What is going on there?
    His sister is saying their brother (who at least was his manager) molested her when she and Ben were kids. I wouldn't assume that means something happened to Ben (though as Lonnie reminds us, Ben a big strong NBA player doesn't change the fact that we're all vulnerable children at one point), but obviously that's kind of thing that blows up a family.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His sister is saying their brother (who at least was his manager) molested her when she and Ben were kids. I wouldn't assume that means something happened to Ben (though as Lonnie reminds us, Ben a big strong NBA player doesn't change the fact that we're all vulnerable children at one point), but obviously that's kind of thing that blows up a family.
    I’m no psychiatrist, but tough situations could trigger those emotions back. His distrust on authorities and people especially those who he thought were protecting him, but instead turned against him. If that incident was true with his sister, and possibly him, that would be tough to overcome and emotions easily resurface especially if not properly fixed and just buried. I’d be very careful how Morey proceeds. He could be viewed as a bully, as if he’s not already. Mental health is a serious issue, and especially if there’s a mitigating cir stances like what Simmons and his sister experienced.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just feel sorry for yall lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just feel sorry for yall lol
    This is an internet message board. Not reality . Let fans talk whatever scenarios they like. Doesn't effect you,tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with passing on Simmons but, I'm going to push back a little here .. Having a second fiddle (a Pippen or Draymond) makes it more attractive and easier for a #1 guy to come here...in fact I don't think any #1 would even consider us without a clear #2 being in place...
    have you ever seen Pippen play in his prime, or are you repeating the ESPN/jordan fans rhetoric that Jordan handpicked 11 guys off the street and took them to 6 les? Pippen couldn't score??? lol. To even compare Pippen's offense to Draymond or Simmons is a goddamn insult. Go back and look at game 3 of the '93 ECF when the bulls were down 0-2 and Jordan continued to play like that game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you ever seen Pippen play in his prime, or are you repeating the ESPN/jordan fans rhetoric that Jordan handpicked 11 guys off the street and took them to 6 les? Pippen couldn't score??? lol. To even compare Pippen's offense to Draymond or Simmons is a goddamn insult. Go back and look at game 3 of the '93 ECF when the bulls were down 0-2 and Jordan continued to play like that game.
    Puhleeze.... the comparison isn't that dray or Ben are as good as Pippen....that's silly....the comparison is that Pippen is second fiddle to the teams alpha and that the role ben and dray played last year... so don't get panties all in a wad over nothing..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs msg board

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply don’t click on the thread. You know what in here, but you keep clicking and commenting. Do you think that will accomplish your goal? You’re keeping it up near the top with your incessant whining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this spurs season is going to be so boring that a thread like this is fine. What the , lets make a new kawhi thread and bring the "jimmer cant eat eat unless avocado is involved" upstairs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That fact that Spurs offered for Simmons makes this a related thread. And there’s Thad Young who does not fit the composition of this team. Obviously a trade is still at work and more likely had to do with Simmons, either as the main player or a 3rd team. It’s possible that this could drag till mid-December. How does that benefit Morey, with them no longer penalizing Simmons due to mental health issue? So he’s paying this guy to sit instead of getting somebody who can actually contribute now, and getting as early as possible to acclimate with the team. I don't really know what Morey is thinking to accomplish than shoving to Simmons face. I doubt Simmons would ever play better than he did last for them playoffs if he forced him to stay. In the meantime, Spurs are stuck with Young.
    Last edited by John B; 10-26-2021 at 09:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Performing at a high level on defense and flopping on only the shooting aspect of offense doesn't scream mental health issues, just plain incompetence on one aspect of offense that has to do with technical flaws and a laziness to correct that issue. Mental health is too serious a subject to be reduced to inability to master one aspect of a game. Sad that Simmons is using this as a card to be spared of the fines.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That fact that Spurs offered for Simmons makes this a related thread. And there’s Thad Young who does not fit the composition of this team. Obviously a thread was still at work and more likely had to do with Simmons, either as the main player or a 3rd team. It’s possible this could drag till mid-December. How does that benefit Morey, with them no longer penalizing Simmons due to mental health issue. So he’s paying this guy to sit instead of getting somebody who csn actually contribute, and as early as possible to acclimate with the team. I don't really what Morey is thinking to accomplish. I doubt Simmons ever play better than he did last playoff. In the meantime, Spurs are stuck with Young.
    My guess is that Spurs will finally trade Young to Phoenix for Smith and a pair of 2n rounders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that Spurs will finally trade Young to Phoenix for Smith and a pair of 2n rounders
    I’d rather take that. At least Smith is in line with the rest of our youth, plus whatever picks they get. This team is not built to win now, so Thad is just taking away from Londale’s development or Zollins when he gets healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope this happens, Jalen Smith fits well with the youngsters. Recent history with Demarre Carroll might suggest otherwise, though.

Thread Information