Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1898
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Williams had me fooled like too, thought for sure he was going to be at least a high level allstar
    I’m apparently wrong about Sengun - I didn’t care that SA really passed on him for Primo because I thought he was just meh but he’s doing pretty damn good. I really liked Brandon Clarke too but even though he’s a very good role player he would not have changed much for SA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also like to trade Murray for Simmons, especially because I saw that Murray’s thug side, started with him barking back at Pop like a juvvy that he is. I always thought Ben can thrive with a great coaching staff like Pop’s, who could slowly fix his game to winning games. Very much what we see Pop is doing with Sochan. Simmons has great vision, big athletic who can rim run and finish, while finding who’s open, great defender. Yes, I’d still take Simmons for the right pieces. It would be a challenge to play him with Sochan not shooting, yet. That would have to get fixed. Simmons for Poeltl plus fillers, I’d take him. It’d be a roster challenge, but I’d leave Pop to figure it out.
    I agree……..Simmons has a place in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Simmons has a place in the NBA... the all nut job first team, alongside Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about? I’ve been a proponent of Tre since early last year
    Must have mixed it up with someone else then. I thought you were saying tre is the worst starting PG in the league as part of the evidence that the spurs have the least talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we just mention Marc Stein is just a bull merchant?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At taking hypotheticals out of context from the time they were discussed.

As if anyone could have foreseen Simmons having mental health issues, developing a mental block and having a back injury that led to surgery.
    Yeah, just who could've foreseen him sucking ass...?!

At homers and casuals alike who think a combination of the Spurs' second and third rate youth and lesser/protected picks are getting them a young, signed long term, (flawed) complimentary star.

When Stein says "barge", he's more than likely alluding to pulling in a third or maybe even fourth team to be able to contribute to supplying the 76ers with the type of package that would appeal to them.
    Fuuuuck this noise.

This is a Kangz-level move, for real now. Y'all have been ing about the "inept FO" moves all off-season long - this is precisely the move an inept FO would do. I too don't buy all this noise and "sources", it's clear the clock is ticking out on Simmons and the Klutch media machine is hoping now more than ever for a bidding war, lest Simmons be on the roster still come training camp.

at naive posters thinking Simmons is a "first domino" and would attract "ring chasers" to SanAn. Insane that after so many years this fantasy is still going strong, for BEN SIMMONS nonetheless... Who's he gonna drag down here? Be ing real... Guy is hardly adequate as a #2 option, probably a #3, with the ego of a diva #1 to boot. Further at posters thinking his "issues are fixable", no they aren't - he literally shoots off the wrong ing hand still, at twenty- ing-five, be real. Chip could more easily get Poeltl shooting 3's than he would Simmons shooting them (matter-of-factly, Poeltl literally has a better jumper and touch than Simmons does, and I see nobody barking up that hopeless tree for some reason...).

Disgusting that it's even a consideration, can only hope it's media BS smoke and mirrors. Definitely would be my breaking point. Simmons and being locked into at least 4 years of mediocrity (the REAL mediocrity) paying his bum, beta ass $140 million dollars. I'd much, much rather bottom out and go get a player off the top lottery who isn't so fatally and fundamentally flawed in the most important aspect of the modern NBA as Simmons. Why do people even want him? You can't even play him for his defense in the 4th, he's been Hack-A-Shaq'd literally every single playoff series last season

Once again... this.
    Back-to-back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, just who could've foreseen him sucking ass...?!

Back-to-back.
    Not for those reasons though.

For the record, I was never a Simmons guy. I've always been a re-build guy, but short of that I was a proponent of, if they're going to continue to be a treadmill team, might as well look to be a better version of it so long as it didn't require gutting their future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons was always a case of ....Did he want to be here and could he recover his game. because he could have come here and been different and better than murray. Murray a guy who didn't want to be here but did not quit on the team vs a guy who quit on his team but might be better. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not for those reasons though.

For the record, I was never a Simmons guy. I've always been a re-build guy, but short of that I was a proponent of, if they're going to continue to be a treadmill team, might as well look to be a better version of it so long as it didn't require gutting their future.
    Which is EXACTLY what you proposed

For the record

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Simmons were still in his prime and not fallen off completely, the Spurs would be fine after the proposed trade. We know they missed out on a lot now, but they'd have an All-Star with some good players like Keldon and Vassell, significant cap space and all of their future picks. We would've looked at Murray likely being a good player for the Sixers and wondered if it were the right deal, but the position the team would be in would still be fine. Just as Simmons ended up busting, Wemby could bust, as well as the next guy the Spurs draft. They can't constantly liquidate their roster forever at the expense of the on-court product.

In reality, I was wrong about Simmons. He regressed. But being able to be aggressive in trading for stars is why you keep the contracts in the first place. Having really good ballast is worth not getting a random second-round pick.
    If Simmons was still in his prime? He never even got to his prime. He was able to post ok numbers but should not have received the accolades that he did.

To be fair, I just wanted to trade Murray. I didn’t know the Hawks package was available. I wanted a Ben for Murray swap bc Murray isn’t a winning player and not worth 40 million a year. I’m glad we didn’t do it but I’m also glad we traded Murray. But paying Ben $36 million wouldn’t have hurt this team in any way shape or form. He would’ve added to the tanking and we have a lot of money to spend anyways. Once we get Victor, I would like for us to go big and over pay for a secondary star player (like the Pels did with CJ).
    How would paying murry 40 mill hurt but paying Ben 36 not hurt? I understand your tanking argument but Ben is a bad teamate. There is a reason why his team is frustrated with him again. He is probably the worst contract in the NBA. yes even worse then westbrock because he deal is so much longer.

I was probably the biggest one against a murray for Ben trade. and was the first to say I would not trade murray for simmons straight up.

As far as wouldI take Simmons now. I guess if the proce is right but what I would want the nets would not be willing to give up. I would be looking something like a mcdermont for Ben and picks. and I doubt they would be willing to send picks back right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is EXACTLY what you proposed

For the record

Not at all.

At being obsessed with me because I expose your arrogant, Craptors fan boy ass for being not nearly as knowledgeable as you think you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is in Westbrook territory. Nets would have to send us 2 FRPs to eat his deal.

Just if it hasn't been made clear in this long ass thread... Simmons ing sucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is in Westbrook territory. Nets would have to send us 2 FRPs to eat his deal.

Just if it hasn't been made clear in this long ass thread... Simmons ing sucks.
    U are kidding Westbrook contract ends this season, Simmons got another 2 years to run no way anyone would agree same return for their contract.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U are kidding Westbrook contract ends this season, Simmons got another 2 years to run no way anyone would agree same return for their contract.
    are you saying westbrooks contract is worse or Bens contract is worse?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are correct, we would need ABOVE a Westbrook deal to take Simmons. My point was more that they both suck ass and are huge negative assets that require compensation to take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you saying westbrooks contract is worse or Bens contract is worse?
    Simmons is worse, Westbrook contract finish this season, with cap space the organisation can absorb it. For Simmons you lose cap for two additional season and have prolong negative locker room issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Simmons was still in his prime? He never even got to his prime. He was able to post ok numbers but should not have received the accolades that he did.

How would paying murry 40 mill hurt but paying Ben 36 not hurt? I understand your tanking argument but Ben is a bad teamate. There is a reason why his team is frustrated with him again. He is probably the worst contract in the NBA. yes even worse then westbrock because he deal is so much longer.

I was probably the biggest one against a murray for Ben trade. and was the first to say I would not trade murray for simmons straight up.

As far as wouldI take Simmons now. I guess if the proce is right but what I would want the nets would not be willing to give up. I would be looking something like a mcdermont for Ben and picks. and I doubt they would be willing to send picks back right now.
    Bc with Murray we were in the 10-11 range in the west. W/o Murray we are at the botttom of the west. Ben would’ve kept us on the bottom. Murray is just good enough to where we win too much to suck but lose way too much to be any good. So as far as team tank goes, Simmons is the man for it. Now I of course loved the Hawks deal and am glad the Spurs went that way, but trading DJ in general is what I really wanted.

What’s hilarious though is that Atlanta is gonna pay him his $40 million a year just for them to have a losing record bc they traded so many assets for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What’s hilarious though is that San Antonio is gonna pay Simmons his $40 million a year just for them to have a losing record bc they traded so many assets for him.
    Do you not follow your own logic here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you not follow your own logic here?
    One gets me tanking though. While Atlanta has no picks for themselves. I don’t think we were ever gonna offer up one of our picks for Simmons. Atlanta gave away like 4 picks. I don’t mind paying people. I do mind giving away our first round draft pick AND paying people.

There’s a lot to consider though other than does Simmons just suck. He would get zero tv time here and have zero expectations. He could just be a role player here and not have to have the burden of being a weak link on a star team with finals aspirations. Now maybe that makes him play free.

But once we get Victor though we need to look for an overpaid “star” to pair him with. In a perfect world it would be Harden. We need a PG badly. It’s a huge hole and weakness for our team going forward

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One gets me tanking though. While Atlanta has no picks for themselves. I don’t think we were ever gonna offer up one of our picks for Simmons. Atlanta gave away like 4 picks. I don’t mind paying people. I do mind giving away our first round draft pick AND paying people.

There’s a lot to consider though other than does Simmons just suck. He would get zero tv time here and have zero expectations. He could just be a role player here and not have to have the burden of being a weak link on a star team with finals aspirations. Now maybe that makes him play free.

But once we get Victor though we need to look for an overpaid “star” to pair him with. In a perfect world it would be Harden. We need a PG badly. It’s a huge hole and weakness for our team going forward
    If we ever got Harden, I’d check out. He’s everything NOT Spurs. I don’t care how much he scores with his 35 USG, he would destroy the development track of all of our young players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Any team in the NBA that doesn't have a durable pg that can at least hit the open 3 and get teammates involved need to fire their GM immediately. There are more pgs in basketball now than I ever remember in my entire life. Every pg doesn't have to be as flashy as Irving and Morant, but they are out here in large numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You lost me at Harden. I’d rather have the Coyote playing PG than Harden destroying this team. I think Malaki is a good candidate for me as a starting PG down the line. He is already showing good ballhandling, better than DJ in his 1st 3 years, composure and the ability to pick and pop. Blake while more explosive is very raw. Malaki has the demeanor and can score when he needs to, at least if he continues his trajectory and become NBA strong. I think Malaki will continue backing up Tre until late next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know all about Harden and his ways. I wouldn't say he has matured as a person, I'm sure he still hits the clubs/hookers. He plays zero defense and can be a diva. But I like his game now. James has a lot he could pass onto our younger guys. He gets to the foul line with ease, he is a great dribbler, he really reads the floor well on offense and can make all the passes. These are all things I want our youth to learn. Plus he has no problem now getting others involved and letting others get their baskets. This isn't the Houston Harden who dribbles the ball 25 seconds of the 24 second shot clock, he plays differently.

Another guy I wouldn't mind is FFV. That guy would fit our system well. I just haven't seen enough Raptor games to know how well he runs the show. Can he create consistently for others? Maybe a more knowledgeable poster knows.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bc with Murray we were in the 10-11 range in the west. W/o Murray we are at the botttom of the west. Ben would’ve kept us on the bottom. Murray is just good enough to where we win too much to suck but lose way too much to be any good. So as far as team tank goes, Simmons is the man for it. Now I of course loved the Hawks deal and am glad the Spurs went that way, but trading DJ in general is what I really wanted.

What’s hilarious though is that Atlanta is gonna pay him his $40 million a year just for them to have a losing record bc they traded so many assets for him.
    As I said I understand your tanking point but his contract is for more then this year. He also spoils locker rooms. I might be willing to take him on if we got the right compensation but his contract is worse then westbrooks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The takes in this thread

The only thing Simmons has done worth talking about in his career is not dunk on Trae Young

Could you imagine us tanking AND trying to give Simmons away

You think we could have gotten for Simmons what we got for Murray

Thread Information