Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says there's far more of it than about Pop's future and he's heard enough whispers to believe Pop wants the milestone far more than he'd ever admit.

Why the Spurs are probably interested in Simmons . . .

Non glamour markets don't get to choose their superstars/stars and this one doesn't want to tank for it, so this has to be tempting: Signed for 4 years, international (though Americanized), fits their supposed defense and ball movement ethos and if ever he could be humbled and gotten through to, it'd be now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're trying to be the Raptors of this Leonard sweepstakes. They can do it to, since they have win-now players, prospects and picks. The other suitors either don't have one of those or aren't willing to trade the pieces they have. SA just shouldn't go crazy with what they give up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's too much smoke. Spurs are actually interested in trading for Simmons i figured it was just nonsense tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's too much smoke. Spurs are actually interested in trading for Simmons i figured it was just nonsense tbh...
    Yeah, for me, it was never a question of how interested the Spurs are in the trade. It's how desperate they are. We'll see if they get a good deal or beat out, or if they win by selling the farm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll believe it when I see it tbh but in my opinion adding the players they did in free agency does point to them trying to acquire Simmons

All the “were still talking about that diva” “he’s not a star” incoming in 3…. 2…. 1…. Lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons makes $33mil. Would we do:

Murray, Walker, Aminu + picks ($30mil)? Future players, picks and save them some money.

or Murray, Walker, Thad Young + (less) picks ($30.85mil)? When can Young be traded?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes you wonder about the Landale signing. A great pick up on its own, but he feels like the Jack Haley here, potentially.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they trade the farm and he refuses to even show up to training camp...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons makes $33mil. Would we do:

Murray, Walker, Aminu + picks ($30mil)? Future players, picks and save them some money.

or Murray, Walker, Thad Young + (less) picks ($30.85mil)? When can Young be traded?
    They’d possibly want Yak with Murray and Walker. And at least two 1sts. That’s worth considering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they trade the farm and he refuses to even show up to training camp...
    More minutes for Forbes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only players I would leave off the table are Keldon and Primo. Spurs fans would probably prefer to trade Murray but I see Sixers valuing White more than Murray in terms of a Simmons package

White + Walker + Poeltl, Spurs 2023 1st, and the Chicago 1st. Do it

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're trying to be the Raptors of this Leonard sweepstakes. They can do it to, since they have win-now players, prospects and picks. The other suitors either don't have one of those or aren't willing to trade the pieces they have. SA just shouldn't go crazy with what they give up.
    What would a Raptors/Number Two equivalent look like? White/Walker/2 firsts, plus Aminu for salary ballast?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we can give them DeRozan and Jakob?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine if Sa does this but not at the costs reported. If it’s Thad + Murray + 2 picks. Ok I can see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gross

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Spurs are legitimately interested in Ben Simmons. There's too much smoke for any other explanation.

Do I want the Spurs to trade for Simmons? I'm not sure yet, tbh. Up until a couple days ago, I didn't put much stock in the rumors. But over the last 48 hours or so, it has become clear they are interested.

My first reaction to a Simmons trade is no. But then I think about how this is an ultimate buy-low opportunity that doesn't come around often for players with legit superstar potential. There's a chance Simmons' career just flat-lines and he's nothing more than a borderline All-Star from here on out. But there's also a chance that he takes another step and becomes an all-around force who can drag the Spurs back to the playoffs in short order.

If the Spurs are making an offer for Simmons, I think you start with Murray and Poeltl. Those are two players that have positive value who wouldn't really fit on a Simmons team so it makes the most sense to move them. Walker is another player who makes a lot of sense because he probably has positive value league-wide while those who have watched him closely understand that value is more tenuous than it might appear unless you watch him a lot. Derrick White would be a great complement to Simmons so it'd be really difficult to justify trading him for Simmons. Unfortunately, White would also be a strong fit on Philadelphia so the Spurs might not have a choice if they really want Simmons.

Parting with future first round picks is when it becomes difficult to stomach. Simmons would improve the Spurs in most scenarios but it's far from guaranteed that he'd lead the Spurs out of the lottery. There'd have to be some strong protections on any picks the Spurs give the Sixers or else it could blow up in San Antonio's face. I don't really hesitate about Simmons' contract (it's risky but that's acceptable risk and part of the reason why he's a buy-low candidate) but including a first rounder(s) .... man, that'd be tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine if Sa does this but not at the costs reported. If it’s Thad + Murray + 2 picks. Ok I can see it.
    Supposedly they have an offer on the table from SAC of Hali + Barnes and a protected 1st, and another from TOR involving FVV + OG and a protected 1st. I don't think Murray and Young alone gets it done considering the other packages they have

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’d possibly want Yak with Murray and Walker. And at least two 1sts. That’s worth considering.
    Poeltl is ranked 3rd in defense according to RAPTOR, so I wouldn't be happy about trading him, but I'd definitely consider it. That means we wouldn't be tanking anymore and Thad Young would probably be playing for us instead of being traded for a 1st (like I'd hoped). That would completely change the outlook of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would a Raptors/Number Two equivalent look like? White/Walker/2 firsts, plus Aminu for salary ballast?
    White is more of their Lowry than DeRozan. DeMar was seen as their best player even though Kyle was. But yeah, that deal you offered with DJM in place of White is probably equivalent. I think it'll take Vassell instead of Walker and Young instead of Aminu though. Maybe there'll be a swap in 2023 is 22 is unprotected. That's near the max I'd be willing to offer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thought is, the Spurs are better off taking a gamble and trading for an established star on a long term deal that still has upside versus sitting and waiting and hoping one of our young guys ever becomes that good. Because despite his limitations, Simmons is a better player than anyone on the Spurs roster, and surrounded with the right players he is a big time floor raiser.

Better to take our shot versus just sitting and waiting and hoping someone blossoms into being as good as he is 3-4 years down the road. imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude would flake out having to hang in SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would have been better Simmons or DeRozan?

I kinda think DDR is the better player tbh at least he isn't afraid of the moment. The only thing Simmons has on him is that he is younger and plays better defense but i guess he does fit the timeline much better. If we can get him cheap sure but the asking price has been sky high so far...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll believe it when I see it tbh but in my opinion adding the players they did in free agency does point to them trying to acquire Simmons

All the “were still talking about that diva” “he’s not a star” incoming in 3…. 2…. 1…. Lol
    McBuckets and Brent Forms kinda tipped their hand.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t win games averaging 82ppg. If you let go of Walker, White or Murray where does your offense come from?

These trade scenarios have 8th seed written all over it. I don’t like it.

The only saving grace would be if Simmons magically fixes his fear of shooting(which in my opinion is a two year project) and some other star wants to align with him. So unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't believe it. This is entirely Klutch/ESPN/media trying to create a narrative and market around Ben Simmons. We're getting manipulated.

Thread Information