A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Didn't watch him when he was an onscreen actor, but his voice acting was a big part of my childhood. Just saw him on a promo for that up series and was surprised he was still kicking

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    Sad...

RIP Mr. Asner.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Before my time

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's crazy is that he was in his 40's in that show.

Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    What's crazy is that he was in his 40's in that show.
    Mary Tyler Moore

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Last Date

by russell-ville-man

Copyright© 2020 by russell-ville-man

He’d shown up with a combination of Old e and Jack Daniels Old Number 7 emanating from his pores and breath, respectively.

“Mr. Grant.”

She wanted to admonish him, but, in her defense, did not.
    “Come in.”

“What’s for dinner, Mary?”

He wanted to embrace her, but, backed away at the last. She wanted to embrace him, but, backed away at the last.

“The return of Veal Prince Orloff. You’ll finally have your fill, Mr. Grant.”

Their laughter stilted and brief.

There was a gleam in his eyes she’d not seen before.

“You look really nice tonight, Mary.”

“Thank you, Mr. Grant. I haven’t seen you favor that turtle neck in quite a while.”

“I’m glad you remember it. I knew you liked it.”

Mary didn’t like it, but, she loved him.

Their friends had marked this attempt at a date as a mistake, a failure. But, they knew better.

Sitting side-by-side as his Edie-no-more had wed for the second time seared their relationship, had reignited a fire that had come dangerously close to dying out.

“Did I stand it, Mary?”
    He had challenged Mary in the breathless silence of exchanged vows and the certainty of an official’s sanctioning.
    “Yes, Mr. Grant, you stood it.”
    The tears streaming down her face in the aftermath of total end.

He wanted to hit somebody, but, corralled his rage.

She wanted to hold him with all her might, to shade his eyes against her chest.

Both had watched in abject horror.

The meal was good, but, neither could nor would remember it. Conversation drew to the television station even though both knew that was “against the rules.”

“Dessert, Mr. Grant?” Mary had made chocolate pudding, cooked. She’d finished clearing the table as he’d taken anchor.
    “No.”

He’d only been in her bedroom once before; to rally Ted as his wedding grew imminent.

He caught sight of her as she slid out the bathroom door, the light catching her in a direct flash. She was naked, white and gleaming, then just a shadow as Mary cut the light. She crossed quickly to the bedside and slid beneath the sheets and quilts.

“Hurry, Mr. Grant.”

“Mary.”

“Yes.”

She watched. It was not easy to extricate himself from that infernal turtle neck, but, he managed and was at once ready.

His mount was quick as if they’d coupled before. She gave him room, her long legs opening to allow him to come close. The scent of the Old e wafted thru reminding her of her father.

“You’re so warm.” Him.

“I want to be warm for you. And ready.” Her.

He felt his essence begin to elevate, even threaten expulsion.

“Uh, oh.” To himself.

He couldn’t remember the last time he’d had relations with anyone beside himself. He managed to calm the roil, but, the dam would not hold for long.

“I’ve wanted you to kiss me for so long, Lo ... Mr. Grant.” As incongruent as “Mr. Grant” seemed, “Lou” would never be ventured again.

Her lips were as soft as he’d imagined in boundless reflections thru their years together. It did not occur to either to part their lips. This, this was enough.

“I don’t want to wait. I’ve waited long enough.” Her.

She managed to wiggle down a portion and raised her center to greet him.

“Mary.”

“It’s okay, darling.”

“Mary.”

“Yes, baby. Do it.”

“You’re so wet.” Him.

“I want to be wet, only for you.” Her.

The urge to bury his face in the pillow as he had with Edie their entire marriage was no longer there. His movement slowed to a crawl as their eyes locked.

She saw the alarm register in those eyes as his body would no longer brook it’s holdings.

“Yes, Mr. Grant, I’m yours now, darling. It’s okay, you can give me what is yours. I want it.”

He stayed where he was, their breathing slowed and returned to normal, their eyes watching the other’s. He kissed her eyes closed, then kissed her forehead.

“What will they say at the station, Mary? They were so wrong.”

“I don’t care about them, Mr. Grant. I’ll tell you what though.”
    “What?”
    “It’s my turn to be on top.”

There would be no more dates, no.
    There would be a courtship.
    There would be concurrent proposals.
    “They’d walk the walk, vow the vows and make the start.”

-The End-

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Love the episode where he physically assaults "Ted." Puts him in the hospital. MTM is so enraged with him.

A flawless broadcast television event."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Remember he tried to buy "J.P.'s" gun. -El Dorado- Duke responded by backing his horse out so that "Mr. Grant" couldn't shoot him in the back.

"The wind becomes bitter, the sky turns to gray.
    His body grows weary, he can't find his way.
    But he'll never turn back though he's lost in the snow...
    For he has to find..."

...Ed Asner has found El Dorado.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Even toward the last he was nails. -Cobra Kai-

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Ed Asner called out the BS government 9/11 narrative.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Doesn't matter. You should watch that series at least once.
    I believe it's on IMDB with ads.
    I recommend watching without ads and saving yourself the time though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Doesn't matter. You should watch that series at least once.
    I believe it's on IMDB with ads.
    I recommend watching without ads and saving yourself the time though.
    Once Rhoda/Harper got her own show MTMS took off like a rocket. It freed Ted to explode his talent, and MTM permitted that.

It got to where I could not watch that show if Rhoda was on it. A weight was lifted when she left.

Some of the best episodes were in the last 2 seasons as the cast was directed to take a kinder way with Ted. He was humanized and worthy of love and was given that love not only thru Georgette, but the other characters as well. That is when the series drew the audience very close as the end came into view...took their time and closed it out with perfection, instead of as a means to a speedy end.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Once Rhoda/Harper got her own show MTMS took off like a rocket. It freed Ted to explode his talent, and MTM permitted that.

It got to where I could not watch that show if Rhoda was on it. A weight was lifted when she left.

Some of the best episodes were in the last 2 seasons as the cast was directed to take a kinder way with Ted. He was humanized and worthy of love and was given that love not only thru Georgette, but the other characters as well. That is when the series drew the audience very close as the end came into view...took their time and closed it out with perfection, instead of as a means to a speedy end.
    Rhoda was okay; but her voice is grating. Actually, MTM has a grating voice too; but her talent rises above it.

Ted is best when he's savage either way.

I do know what you mean though about humanizing him more though. That episode in which he is doing all he can to not boink that hot goddess to stay faithful is gold.

All in all, Ted's character was great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^^^ Love the sound of the door opening as Ted enters that pie scene. The timing had to be be perfect. It-was-perfect.

& it's a great episode as the guy has a lot of great points when he takes MTM to that fancy restaurant.

& everybody suffers. Nobody is left unscathed by this fellow. That's important and a rarity in television.

& you're absolutely spot on with the hottie that Ted resists. Perfect casting. And a cookie to Ted and all the (Ted's) out there|||that a woman of such beauty would come on to him so slavishly. It is an incredible surprise plot, a staggering sight and a part of the reformation of Ted's character.

Great citation, Spurts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Rhoda was okay; but her voice is grating. Actually, MTM has a grating voice too; but her talent rises above it.

Ted is best when he's savage either way.

I do know what you mean though about humanizing him more though. That episode in which he is doing all he can to not boink that hot goddess to stay faithful is gold.

All in all, Ted's character was great.

Ah, that second cut is the episode where Edie marry's again. Grim business. In front of his blooded daughter and that entire company Lou stands the gaffe as he assured Mary he would.

The production gave him no quarter till this bar scene. Forgot about this bar scene.

Bully, Spurts, bully for you.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Ah, that second cut is the episode where Edie marry's again. Grim business. In front of his blooded daughter and that entire company Lou stands the gaffe as he assured Mary he would.

The production gave him no quarter till this bar scene. Forgot about this bar scene.

Bully, Spurts, bully for you.
    Ted knew how to break it down.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Ted knew how to break it down.

And it made perfect sense.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    And it made perfect sense.
    You want to play the Houston Oilers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    You want to play the Houston Oilers.
    & one would like to imagine that is why there is some consideration by Murray & Lou, just the slightest pause at Ted's offering.
    Because the longer I consider it the more sense it makes.

A superior production set and the actors to execute their brilliance.

"Barney Miller's" wife played the woman that Murray was pursuing, right, Spurts?

Also, do you have a spot/channel/stream where you access the MTMS?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    & one would like to imagine that is why there is some consideration by Murray & Lou, just the slightest pause at Ted's offering.
    Because the longer I consider it the more sense it makes.

A superior production set and the actors to execute their brilliance.

"Barney Miller's" wife played the woman that Murray was pursuing, right, Spurts?

Also, do you have a spot/channel/stream where you access the MTMS?
    Never knew the guest star's name; was nothing special to me.

IMDB is among a few services that offer it for free w/ads. Probably Pluto too.
    VUDU you can own it for twenty-five bucks w/o ads whenever it goes on sale, which is often.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Thread

Saw the complete series on DVD at Wal Mart for $35.
    That might be more your style.
    , I might get it for a book shelf item.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Thread

Saw the complete series on DVD at Wal Mart for $35.
    That might be more your style.
    , I might get it for a book shelf item.
    Gettin' the DVD out, puttin' the DVD in: "Does the DVD remote have good batteries, Dale? I don't know, Dale, we haven't used it in months. OMG, Dale. I know, Dale, omg too."... committed to watching said DVD. I get so in' nervous I can't watch anything at that point. So, at that point I just sit on the Lazy Boy looking at everything in tunnel vision. Wife:::"Why are you looking at me like that, Dale? Why is the TV off? Are you constipated again, is that it, sweetheart?"

It's all psychological.

I'll just wait till it lodges somewhere on the cable. It used to show on IFC.

Thread Information