Post Count
    After the 2 goals vs Ireland his totals are:

111 goals in 180 games

92 (!) goals in 129 official games
    19 goals in 51 friendly matches
    And those 2 goals were ing clutch

Veteran
    Post Count
    Did anyone care about this when it was the iranian guy??

Modern players play way more games than those of the past, puskas and pele are both at like 80 in 85 games, more impressive imo.. then you consider he has 7 goals in 4 world cups- muller had 14 in 2, ronaldo had 15 in 4, pele 12 in 14 wc games.. Maradona scored 34 goals in 91 games for argentina, well 8 of them came in 4 world cups (one famously cut short, another famously played on one leg).

Ronaldo and messi are great but their stats are inflated imo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count

Modern players play way more games than those of the past, puskas and pele are both at like 80 in 85 games, more impressive imo.. then you consider he has 7 goals in 4 world cups- muller had 14 in 2, ronaldo had 15 in 4, pele 12 in 14 wc games.. Maradona scored 34 goals in 91 games for argentina, well 8 of them came in 4 world cups (one famously cut short, another famously played on one leg).

Proof that marketing matters.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count

Take Pele for example, he's the all time goals leader but played his whole career in Brazil and the US.

How are his numbers not inflated, compared to players who spent their whole careers playing in top tier european leagues against better compe ion?

Veteran
    Post Count
    Take Pele for example, he's the all time goals leader but played his whole career in Brazil and the US.

How are his numbers not inflated, compared to players who spent their whole careers playing in top tier european leagues against better compe ion?
    well i mostly agree that pele's numbers are inflated, but it depends a little what count you use. According to him he scored 1000+, but that includes friendlies and a lot of lesser tournaments (brasil has several leagues and most teams participate in multiple compe ions each year). Much like the NT all time scorer label, its only a thing if the guy with the record is a superstar, otherwise no one mentions it (no one considers Bican or Ali among the best scorers ever).

but you are wrong about european leagues being top tier and having better compe ion- certainly they do now, but not quite true in the 50, 60, 70's when the money just wasnt there, europe was still recovering from WW2 and south american teams regulary won both national and club compe ions vs their european counterparts.

but the topic of this thread was national team goals, have a look at pele's and ronaldo's victims, tell me who benefitted more from weaker compe ion:

pele 12 goals in 14 wc games vs ussr, wales, france, sweden, mexico, Czechoslovakia, bulgaria, portugal, czechoslovakia, england, romania, peru, uruguay, italy

ronaldo 7 in 17 wc games vs angola, iran, holland, england, france, germany, ivory coast, north korea, brasil, spain, germany, usa, ghana, spain, morocco, iran, uruguay

i think pele would have feasted on teams like iran and north korea, 3 of ronaldo's 7 goals came against them...

almost every team's top goal scorer ever is from this era, and they have more total goals than the previous record holder but usually 2x or even 3x more games, like i said their stats are inflated because they play a lot more games now.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Not to mention Ronaldo got to pad his stats vs the San Marinos and Macedonias of this World, tbh.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Very few of of the teams Ronaldo scored against never classified for the World Cup or Euro Championship. Andorra, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Cyprus and that’s probably it. Macedonia made it to Euro 2020. Ronaldo never scored against San Marino.

Veteran
    Post Count
    Very few of of the teams Ronaldo scored against never classified for the World Cup or Euro Championship. Andorra, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Cyprus and that’s probably it. Macedonia made it to Euro 2020. Ronaldo never scored against San Marino.
    well if i look at the list of his top victims its:

7 lithuania
    6 sweden
    5 andorra
    5 latvia
    5 luxemburg

outside of sweden im not seeing much quality there.. even the concacaf teams like usa, mexico, costa rica, panama easily outclass the rest.

but the point isnt ronaldo, this happens everywhere. Just the other day Memphis Depay overtook johan cruyff for national team goals (already passed van basten). again im not saying it to hate, hes a good player, but hes scoring more because hes playing a lot more games, not because hes a better scorer. Giroud has more national team goals than platini! klose more than muller! and on and on i can go like this

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Ronaldo today

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Moar Goating

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Death, taxes, GOATnaldo. Again and again.

He could be in his 90's, playing anywhere in the universe and he would still find a way to score.

Most dominant player of all time
    Last edited by Bynumite; 09-11-2021 at 05:12 PM.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Meanwhile in Italy, Juventus is 16th in the league with 1 point in 3 games

THE RONALDO EFFECT

How lovely to witness Juve's management getting exposed for their complete and utter incompetence, after attempting to use Ronaldo as scapegoat

Let them bathe in their own filth.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    People complain about tap-ins, but football is a lot about instinct and positioning. The second goal showed a lot of skill. If it were easy others would score as much. Today in the United game, Ronaldo was able to score crucial goals to break the 0:0 and the 1:1, with minimal training with his new teammates.

But it’s true Ronaldo doesn’t score internationally at the same pace as let’s say Puskas, Pelé or Gerd Muller and his record is due to him being able to play in more than 180 games, with 36 and no signs of slowing down.

In Pelé’s time they also played with 4:2:4 formations. Left and right backs, 2 center backs, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 attacking midfielder, 2 wingers, second striker (that was Pelé) and a center forward. Perhaps they were able to score more goals as defensive systems weren’t so advanced.

In more modern times, Ronaldo Nazario and Romario were scoring at staggering pace, but Ronaldo Nazario wasn’t able to stay healthy and Romario wasn’t very professional and had a lot of conflicts, also it was near impossible to play for the Brazilian NT for more than 100 games in that times. Then the talent diluted and it’s a different story nowadays.

There are a lot of factors why Ronaldo managed to become #1 in international goals, but to his credit he was able to play so many games and to score 111 over almost 20 years.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I have to admit he had a good start in the WNBA of football... he's going to have his work cut out for him though, his team outside of Pogba and maybe one or two guys is ass...

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I have to admit he had a good start in the WNBA of football... he's going to have his work cut out for him though, his team outside of Pogba and maybe one or two guys is ass...
    GOAT as dominant as ever, scoring in his PL debut. Lionel Durant has yet to score for Qatar Saint German in the MLS of Europe. Sounds about right

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    GOAT as dominant as ever, scoring in his PL debut. Lionel Durant has yet to score for Qatar Saint German in the MLS of Europe. Sounds about right
    The difference is that you're butthurt about Missi...

I was calling the EPL the WNBA of soccer way before Penaldo went back... ie:
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...37#post8835337

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Messi played like 20 minutes.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Young boys

Young boys

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    It was a visit game, for some reason must be in the champions and Cristiano did make them a goal.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Young boys
    Young boys
    Can't beat belgian farmers with stacked all star team

Still no goals or assists for Qatar Saint German

Jogging up and down the pitch playing 0 defense or pressure

The Lionel Harden retirement tour continues

Needed Di Maria to bail him out again
    Last edited by Bynumite; 09-15-2021 at 06:35 PM.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Can't beat belgian farmers with stacked all star team

Still no goals or assists for Qatar Saint German

Jogging up and down the pitch playing 0 defense or pressure

Needed Di Maria to bail him out again
    and still didn't lose the game... unlike Young Boys

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    GOATnaldo 4 goals in his first 3 games for United

Midget still no goals or assists in 2 starts for Qatar Saint German playing against farmers

PSG scores the match winning goal with Harden watching from the bench

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    GOATnaldo 4 goals in his first 3 games for United

Midget still no goals or assists in 2 starts for Qatar Saint German playing against farmers

PSG scores the match winning goal with Harden watching from the bench

Boiled down::::

Missi's PSG undefeated.

Penaldo ManU emasculated by Young Boyz

I'll give you something though, this PSG team right now is hard to watch, tbh

Thread Information