notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "Though Your Dreams Be Tossed and Blown"

by Cully-boy Castleberry

Copyright© 2020 by Cully-boy Castleberry

In the prime there, there in the ‘60s, Jerry Lewis was beautiful; trim, hair all blacked, bathed with the Pomade and flawlessly slicked back, the tuxedo a yearly constant. He was a sight on those weekends as we waited for school starting on the following Tuesday. The final respite from the nerves of having to change from grade school to junior high and then to high school. The summer vacation was over. Life would once again, without mercy, insist.

One was able to get lost in the Tiffany roll as the amount on the tote board grew as it always did. Lewis conducting the Telethon with reckless amounts of both high jocularity and needless cruelty. It was just his way. You’d laugh at the jocularity and were aghast at the cruelty. But, you stayed till the end and the end was always the same.

On 5 September 1976 at the insistence of and arrangement by Sinatra the two men: Martin and Lewis finally buried the hatchet ending their twenty years-long feuds during the nationally broadest Telethon. The reconciliation was awkward, even stilted. But, necessary, not so much for them, but us.

I remember one Labor Day Telethon his son Gary came and performed. He’d returned from Vietnam. He’d been touched. Gary’s mother and Jerry’s wife Patti was nearby, seated front row; she was flat-eared and tight-lipped, looking spears thru her husband. She’d about had enough.

And then, after she’d had enough Lewis and his new wife SanDee, a former showgirl, plus Davis, Jr. and his wife Altovise did the Telethon as a foursome, performing all manner of singing, dancing, and, acting. It was fabulous! They worked their buns off for that, bless-their-souls, as only SanDee remains.

And then sometimes, well, most times for me “it” would get mixed up with the different time zones across our great land, or, I had to do something for mom and dad:

“Now, Dale, now!”

And I’d miss “the song” at the end of it. There was no VCR then---I was just SOL.
    “Did I miss it?”
    “Yeah, you missed it, and it was a good one. Jerry cried.” My older brother.

“The song took on a much deeper and more tragic meaning after the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 when a human crush at the stadium in Sheffield injured hundreds and 96 fans lost their lives.”

“When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don’t be afraid of the dark”

Afterward, after Lewis, his voice breaking had finished and laid his microphone upon the wooden stool and strode off stage in that special gait he had---then bedtime and in the dark, I’d envision that first day in that new grade, or, that new school ... for hours, till daylight threatened to break. And my dad, on his way to time-and-a-half an hour at Midland Ross steel mill in those dark, drab olive-colored work pants would come into my bedroom and straighten my blankets from the foot of my bed as I, racked with worry would portend to sleep, so, that he wouldn’t worry.

-The End-

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Happy 3 day weekend for gawd's sake.

I'll be in Fort Worth/Southlake area playing golf and hunting with my bestie

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Happy 3 day weekend for gawd's sake.

I'll be in Fort Worth/Southlake area playing golf and hunting with my bestie
    Same back at ya, MM!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "Line of Succession & the late J.T. Walsh"

by Dale

I saw it as I turned left off 99th Avenue on my way to the Post Office. Spied it while waiting for red to turn green via arrow.

As I drove past her I could see the rich turquoise, bordering on a nice blue against the center yellow stripe. Reminded me of the one I'd lost at a Smash Burger years earlier down on Thunderbird. I'd grieved over that thing. Even drove all the way back for her, but they wouldn't own up to taking her. Liars. Got a chocolate shake to go and moped back home.

Girl: "Was it there, sweetheart?"

"No, leave me alone."

I looked quickly to see if anybody had seen me spot her, then a surrep ious look into the rear view mirror as I cruised by.

I turned down KTAR, all the way to silence.

"If she's there when you come back we'll get her. Okay?"

"Just u-turn now."

"No, they'd see me."

I side glanced the yellow one on the empty passenger seat next to me. I'd fought hard to keep her captive,,,

A week earlier on the land line:::"Scott, did I leave it in your car?"

"Yes, dad." With more than a touch of exasperation.

"Thank Christ, I thought I'd lost the Goddamn thing. Don't lose it, savvy?"

"Sure. Did you hear?"

"What?" With a touch of impatience mixed with annoyance.

"We got Anthony."

"How bout Rondo?"

"No. Nothing yet."

Back tracking I saw some over 55-year-old guy in Bermuda shorts and black compression socks shuffling up his driveway.

"I'll bet that er got her. , me."

"I told you, didn't I?"

" me. It's gone. That SOB! He doesn't even know what to do with her. That SOB!"

"Why didn't you go back when I told you too, Dale?"

"I know, I know, let's just go home, have luncheon and watch last night's "Green Acres" again. What say, old horse?"

"Goddamn it!"

"Dale! Oh-my-God there it is! I shot a glance into the rear view again, not a soul in sight, swung the Caddy over and stopped at a judged placement where she should be laying.

"Don't get COVID, Goddamn it., use those Fry's ads."

I opened the driver door. "I God's boy!" I'd judged it perfect. Leaned on over, though that big bay window precluded me from making the initial mark. " ." Scrunched over an inch, breathed in another and made contact with her, secured her into the newspaper ads, dragged her across and dropped her in a small heap on to the adjoining floor board.

"Damn, they're watching you, dummy." The light had turned green. I was still lodged there, foot jammed on the break pedal.

"What's he doing?
    Was that money?
    Was that something of value he picked up?
    What's that old man up to?
    Where's all his teeth?
    Why doesn't he put his wheel covers back on?"

"Now...On the third day, I washed her. She wasn't too clean. I got all the right spots." -J.T. Walsh

She is as bright and beautiful as I thought she'd be when first I sighted her on the street.

My-new-rag.

- The End -

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Same back at ya, MM!
    It was awesome. Spent $210 at upscale restaurant called Y.O. steakhouse in downtown Dallas just across the street from the tallest tower in Dallas (Bank of America Tower, 72 stories, lit up blue right now for the Cowboys season opener) - got elk chop, deer (venison) chop, the best quail ever, and fantastic buffalo meat - my bestie also got the same platter and his pregnant wife got a filet mignon - and in return yesterday my best friend picked up the tab at a cajun restaurant in Hurst (near Fort Worth), we all got fried mixed seafood platters with a side of frog legs. Everything was excellent about the long weekend. I didn't have sex... but who needs sex with you have a best friend? We also played pool and video games all weekend when we weren't golfing or eating or toying around with guns.

Thread Information