Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read last week that the obesity rate for 5-11 year olds in Murica increased from 36% (already way too ing high ) to 45% (!!!) during the pandemic.

Another year of kids sitting at home and getting cookies every time mom or dad need them to be occupied with something during a zoom call and that number would be at 60%.
    The eventual deaths from these obesety increases would eclipse the child.covid deaths by multiples

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mask mandates should only be indoors though. Requiring people to wear masks when they're outside is totally pointless and kids should be able to have recess/PE without masks.

Separately the FDA needs to hurry the up in getting a vaccine approved for <12 year olds.
    US schools are so overpopulated that masks are laughable.tho. I still ok w school mask mandates. But when you cram hundreds of kids in hallways and stairways every bell ring its ing comical to believe masks would do a damn thing

My nephew tells me his middle school gets so crammed theres traffic jams and takes minutes to move a few yards

Dumb. They shoulda gone to kids staying in 1 room and teachers circulating instead. Ppl are stupid

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The mask mandates should only be indoors though. Requiring people to wear masks when they're outside is totally pointless and kids should be able to have recess/PE without masks.

Separately the FDA needs to hurry the up in getting a vaccine approved for <12 year olds.
    The vast lion's share of parents will never permit it, Will.

Take your children out of school and home school them. School was never meant to be a baby sitting service for heaven's sakes.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The eventual deaths from these obesety increases would eclipse the child.covid deaths by multiples
    It's not easy to quantify "deaths from obesity" since that's usually just people dying in their 50s when they should have lived into their 80s but I get the point you're trying to make and I agree with it. It's going to be another public health crisis if 30% of the country has type 2 beetus in the next few decades.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    US schools are so overpopulated that masks are laughable.tho. I still ok w school mask mandates. But when you cram hundreds of kids in hallways and stairways every bell ring its ing comical to believe masks would do a damn thing
    And they chew on it, turn it inside out, blow their noses in it, pick their nose and wipe the boogers in it, shimmy it to on top of their head, then shimmy it back, trade masks with their friends, sit on 'em, shine their shoes with 'em and use 'em for sling shots.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fat parents with fat kids. instead of getting healthy meals at school they stayed home and ate crap.
    Do the schools actually have healthy meals these days? When I went to public school in Texas there was always a snack bar where you could buy crap like fries and slushes every day and about half the students would buy from there instead of the regular lunch line. Can't imagine the schools sell their kids out less nowadays.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

My nephew tells me his middle school gets so crammed theres traffic jams and takes minutes to move a few yards

Dumb. They shoulda gone to kids staying in 1 room and teachers circulating instead. Ppl are stupid
    Agreed, masks definitely aren't going to stop the spread of delta in a crowded hallway, but allow schools to mandate them so teachers unions have less to about.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Do the schools actually have healthy meals these days? When I went to public school in Texas there was always a snack bar where you could buy crap like fries and slushes every day and about half the students would buy from there instead of the regular lunch line. Can't imagine the schools sell their kids out less nowadays.
    It's even worse now but kids in school eating junk food but also walking around and being in PE is much better than them sitting at home and walking to the pantry every half hour.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not easy to quantify "deaths from obesity" since that's usually just people dying in their 50s when they should have lived into their 80s but I get the point you're trying to make and I agree with it. It's going to be another public health crisis if 30% of the country has type 2 beetus in the next few decades.
    JFC I looked it up and we're at 13% of adults with beetus already in this nation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. My nephews have mozzarella sticks and pizza at school we do pack them healthier lunches most days

But even a portion of pizza and mozzarella sticks a.day beats the massive amounts of fruit loops, cocoa puffs, chips, etc kids eat while at virtual.school

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    JFC I looked it up and we're at 13% of adults with beetus already in this nation.
    Grim business.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Is it broken down between how much is type 1 and type 2? Can't really do anything to prevent type 1, but type 2 beetus is basically 95% due to the we eat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want ALL kids back locked at home not learning or socializing for another year or more. Cruella.

Dishinorable
    That's not what I said.
    If kids can't be vaxxed they need to masked and social distanced, in well ventilated classrooms, if possible. Staff needs to be masked too. Everyone needs to be tested frequently, why isn't rapid testing part of the conversation? Danger can be faded in a number of ways.

If social distancing and ventilation can't happen, classes can still be in person, but why not do them al fresco, in the open air whenever possible?

Acting like there's no possiibilities besides in person learning without mitigation and zooming it in is a failure of imagination.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Agree. My nephews have mozzarella sticks and pizza at school we do pack them healthier lunches most days

But even a portion of pizza and mozzarella sticks a.day beats the massive amounts of fruit loops, cocoa puffs, chips, etc kids eat while at virtual.school
    Agreed. School lunches aren't healthy at all but they're way better than sugary snack food sitting in the pantry.

Quite frankly parents who still buy like cocoa puffs and fruit loops for their kids knowing how bad it is for them are beyond irresponsible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's even worse now but kids in school eating junk food but also walking around and being in PE is much better than them sitting at home and walking to the pantry every half hour.
    It's funny it's not just an American thing. I was reading an article in NHK about how kids in Japan were coming back to school fat and out of shape and getting injured more often in PE class because of it. Also the divorce rates went way up with work from home (called it コロナ離婚 = corona divorce) since Japanese men spend almost no time with their wives usually because they're either working late all the time or out drinking with coworkers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At my son's school, its only mandated indoors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In particular, having a common lunchtime in a common dining hall is a recipe for disaster during a respiratory pandemic. Lunchtimes should be staggered, and they should be outside, if possible, so kids aren't crowded together, unmasked, indoors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably the main benefit is just limiting food intake to breakfast and lunch at school vs every 20 minutes at home. Because no way you can't get fruit loops and fritos and at school. in 7th and 8th grade my lunch was always a bag of Gardettos and a Sprite from the vending machines so I could eat in 5 minutes and then go play basketball until the end of lunch.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's funny it's not just an American thing. I was reading an article in NHK about how kids in Japan were coming back to school fat and out of shape and getting injured more often in PE class because of it. Also the divorce rates went way up with work from home (called it コロナ離婚 = corona divorce) since Japanese men spend almost no time with their wives usually because they're either working late all the time or out drinking with coworkers.
    Largely because we exported our fat foods to Asia in the last 20 years , now Chinese people love themselves some KFC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frequent testing of staff and students, notification of parents for positive cases in class, plus contact tracing and quarantine rules.

This isn't reinventing the wheel, it's the repertoire of standard epidemiogical practices. All would would tend to mitigate ttransmission in school. Why isn't the US doing this ?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Probably the main benefit is just limiting food intake to breakfast and lunch at school vs every 20 minutes at home. Because no way you can't get fruit loops and fritos and at school. in 7th and 8th grade my lunch was always a bag of Gardettos and a Sprite from the vending machines so I could eat in 5 minutes and then go play basketball until the end of lunch.
    The thing is the kids are limited by the money their parents give them (or don't give them). It's a lot easier for parents to send kids to school with a healthy lunch and say "eat this or starve!" then it is for parents to deal with their fat kid having a sugar craving in the next room over while mom is on a zoom call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Largely because we exported our fat foods to Asia in the last 20 years , now Chinese people love themselves some KFC.
    You're not thinking of Japan as the one who loves KFC? They ing line up for hours to get it on Christmas thanks to an ad campaign targeting GI's that KFC did there in the 1970s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kids have a WAY better innate immune system than adults.
    Adults work at the school and adults live at home with the kids. It's 2021, why do you still suck at this so badly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frequent testing of staff and students, notification of parents for positive cases in class, plus contact tracing and quarantine rules.

This isn't reinventing the wheel, it's the repertoire of standard epidemiogical practices. All would would tend to mitigate ttransmission in school. Why isn't the US doing this ?

Weekly testing at Alamo community colleges

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adults work at the school and adults live at home with the kids. It's 2021, why do you still suck at this so badly?
    We have vaccines and treatments, derp.

Thread Information