View Poll Results: ready to trade derrick?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, move on

48 53.93%
  • no, keep him

41 46.07%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone finally said it, Walker should be the primary scoring option.
    Walker when he has had the opportunity has shown zero aggression or drive to do that. Murray and White haven't been ball and shot dominant that was DeMar, to a Lesser extent Aldridge and somewhat Mills and Gay. For real that's part of what makes White and Murray the keepers they are both are fairly long athletic two way players that get their offense within the flow and are capable to above average starter level on good long term contracts and are in the first half of their careers. Are they Irreplaceable? Nope. I'd give either up for a top tier star in their prime along with some other small assets. I would even give both for an MVP candidate in their prime, even fairly late prime.

What I wouldn't do is give up either for a bad contract, especially for a bad contract attached to a flawed or one dimensional player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The recent PR photos of the new guys taking in SA with DWhite and KJ made me wonder, where is Dejounte?
    Probably still mourning. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to do photo shoots for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only two reasons why you trade White:

1) You think moving him creates space for someone to step up. I think that's true for Murray, but White's a facilitator who can also play off the ball. He's a great fit with any upcoming perimeter player. Whether it's Primo, Walker, Johnson or even Jones, I think White has a place.

2) Someone values him higher than they should. Basically if a team wants to sell the farm for him, it could make sense. Or if White's trade value is on a bubble that'll be burst after this season, then it could make sense. I'd argue that coming off an injury and sort of frozen out by DJM and DMDR dominating the ball last year, White is actually at a low point in value. It would make more sense to try to get him to play well and stay on the court and then trade him versus taking less value now for no reason. But so many STers have the dumb view that trades are a way to get rid of bad players, so White being hurt encourages them to move him, even for pennies on the dollar. Give White a chance to be have a good year and then decide on moving him. Dude is signed for four more seasons. He and Primo are the guys who are least tradeable right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They value him more than what his value leaguewide probably is (guessing late lotteryish) which makes sense given his malleability and their depth of youth as is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing i will say is that Whites contract just scaled up big time this offseason.

Injuries and prospective ceiling is all fun n games when you are only due 3.5 but this upcoming season white goes from 3.5 to 15.6 and it keeps scaling up every season after that, 16, 17..

Already starting this season the expectations of consistency and production are going to match that salary and it does get harder to justify setbacks imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing i will say is that Whites contract just scaled up big time this offseason.

Injuries and prospective ceiling is all fun n games when you are only due 3.5 but this upcoming season white goes from 3.5 to 15.6 and it keeps scaling up every season after that, 16, 17..

Already starting this season the expectations of consistency and production are going to match that salary and it does get harder to justify setbacks imo
    White if healthy, and that is a big if is probably on a fair contract. I really don‘t think he has much value around the league at this point so he probably has more value as a Sours than what we would get back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White if healthy, and that is a big if is probably on a fair contract. I really don‘t think he has much value around the league at this point so he probably has more value as a Sours than what we would get back.
    Agreed. A White that takes the next step and establishes a healthy stretch of play would be a steal even considering his increased salary.

If he can solidify into a polished player with stabilized wear n tear going forward he will be a value because he is locked in for long term leading right through imo what would be his age peak, reaching 30 at the end of the deal from what, 26 now?

Spurs love corporate knowledge guys and the system relies on them to flourish. So those intrinsics and off court merits put his salary value in new perspective.

It's just that the money increase for white makes now the moment where things scale up, his salary and so therefore expectations upon his consistency and production hopefully.

The scrutiny naturally intensifies.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may be optimistic but White could average 20ppg this season with the geezers gone. He's not a great long distance shooter but he shoots nearly 36% from three for his career and doubled his shot attempts last season. He also showed a lot more aggressiveness, albeit in a short sample size due to injuries/COVID. He needs to be more assertive and most importantly stay healthy. It would be great to see both White and Murray continue to improve together but neither is untouchable in a trade particularly if the Spurs really covet Simmons. Murray is a top young talent and White could do well in any system/role so I could see teams trying to make a deal.

IMO, Keldon is the most 'untradeable' piece and Walker is the one I'd like to see gone.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker when he has had the opportunity has shown zero aggression or drive to do that. Murray and White haven't been ball and shot dominant that was DeMar, to a Lesser extent Aldridge and somewhat Mills and Gay. For real that's part of what makes White and Murray the keepers they are both are fairly long athletic two way players that get their offense within the flow and are capable to above average starter level on good long term contracts and are in the first half of their careers. Are they Irreplaceable? Nope. I'd give either up for a top tier star in their prime along with some other small assets. I would even give both for an MVP candidate in their prime, even fairly late prime.

What I wouldn't do is give up either for a bad contract, especially for a bad contract attached to a flawed or one dimensional player.
    Hard to say that, Walker seldom have plays called for him, if ever, Murray and White both are primary ball handlers. I need to see at least an half a season where Walker is a primary scoring option before writing him off. He by far has the best chance at being the primary scorer than anyone else on the squad, (with the exception of Primo).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good lord. This guy better be getting his bad games out of the way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has very little trade value at this point. Injury prone and looks terrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shot quality in this game was great. All wide open, off the bounce or spotting up. Obviously nuance doesn't exist on this site, but some games the ball just doesn't drop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shot quality in this game was great. All wide open, off the bounce or spotting up. Obviously nuance doesn't exist on this site, but some games the ball just doesn't drop.
    He has struggled mightily all pre-season after tonight probably shooting around 25% from the field and his shot selection was not great this game. His 3pt looks were mostly clean looks and just didn't drop tonight which is fine but he made alot of bad plays on the offensive end otherwise. Hopefully just rust but I think he needs to be the backup PG at this point and replaced with Forbes or Walker as troubling as that sounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derek does a lot of little things, and unfortunately that’s about it. I do however commend him on willingness to take charges. But regret I don’t see him becoming more than a very good role player, and very good is already a stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract at least isn’t that bad as our highest paid player. We probably need to give him a month of regular season ball before we can make a real assessment.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except he regressed last season soooo nice try. This is his year to prove he is a starter or not. Make your shots or get out of the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt see anything from him that I like all preseason. Dude looks like a waste. An I actually like White.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To think that the forum re s believed this scrub was a better player than Dejounte, two years ago

I see there’s even morons still around that believe that in 2021... in this same thread....

Basketball isn’t for you. White is terrible and should be dealt before his play drops his already diminished value even more.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How are we viewing his contact now,tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s the first guy that I would trade besides Young and the G-League squad. He’s 27, his shooting is overrated, inconsistent and not good enough and he’s getting paid more than DJ

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were some posters who said he peaked in that Denver series and he would never play that good again...

Those posters might be right...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes...he needs to be traded, or play off the bench as the PG...he is way too inconsistent...he doesn't have potential anymore...this is who he is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it's not neurological. a couple of times last night he lost the ball on casual left handed dribbles, unmolested, then looked down to coordinate himself again like a spaz 5th grader.

And with all the errant passes, it's scary

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    hopefully the spurs are still trying to land simmons.

Thread Information