O Lala

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    without a shadow of a doubt!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would it be something to have both Manu and Becky?

Manu Ginobili, key cog in San Antonio Spurs' dynasty, leads list of first-time nominees for Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class

TIM BONTEMPSESPN4:49 PM ET2 Minute Read
    Manu Ginobili led the list of first-time nominees for the 2022 Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class, which was announced live on ESPN's NBA Today Tuesday.Ginobili was one of the longtime mainstays of the San Antonio Spurs' dynasty, winning four championships in addition to an Olympic gold medal with Argentina in 2004. The 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft, Ginobili went on to become one of the best international basketball players of all time, an inventive guard with a distinctive style. He helped popularize the "Eurostep," a move utilized by virtually every player in the game today.
    In addition to Ginobili, other first time nominees include Tom Chambers, the four-time All-Star forward who played with six teams, including spending five seasons each with the Seattle SuperSonics and Phoenix Suns, and Lindsay Whalen, a four-time WNBA Champion and five-time All-Star, with all four of those championships coming with the Minnesota Lynx, whom she now coaches.
    Beyond the first-time nominees, others in the nomination pool for this year's Hall of Fame class include:

• Chauncey Billups, a five-time All-Star and three-time All-NBA selection, as well as winning Finals MVP as part of the 2004 NBA champion Detroit Pistons.

• Richard Hamilton, a three-time All-Star and fellow member of that 2004 Pistons team.

• Shawn Marion, a four-time All-Star and member of the 2011 NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks.
    • Tim Hardaway, a five-time NBA All-Star and five-time All-NBA selection.
    • Muggsy Bogues, a 14-year NBA veteran who was the smallest player to ever play in the league at 5-foot-3.
    • Mark Jackson, an All-Star in 1989 who is one of six players to record 10,000 career assists.
    • Swin Cash, who won two NCAA championships at the University of Connecticut and three more with the WNBA's Detroit Shock and Seattle Storm.
    • Becky Hammon, a six-time WNBA All-Star and four-time All-WNBA selection.
    • George Karl, who is sixth all-time in NBA coaching victories with 1,175.
    • Bob Huggins, one of six coaches with 900 or more career collegiate victories
    This year's Naismith Hall of Fame class will be unveiled during the Final Four in New Orleans in early April, and will be inducted on September 9-10, 2022 in Springfield, Mass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HOF is in the bag, especially with this list. I’d guess the rest would be George Carl, Mark Jackson, Swin Cash, Becky Hammon (?). I mean the rest on the list is pretty lame

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu and Tony are both first-ballot HoF locks. Manu more so than Tony due to his much greater non-NBA accomplishments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu Ginobili, key cog in San Antonio Spurs' dynasty, leads list of first-time nominees for Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class

Manu Ginobili led the list of first-time nominees for the 2022 Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame class, which was announced live on ESPN's NBA Today Tuesday.Ginobili was one of the longtime mainstays of the San Antonio Spurs' dynasty, winning four championships in addition to an Olympic gold medal with Argentina in 2004. The 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft, Ginobili went on to become one of the best international basketball players of all time, an inventive guard with a distinctive style. He helped popularize the "Eurostep," a move utilized by virtually every player in the game today.
    In addition to Ginobili, other first time nominees include Tom Chambers, the four-time All-Star forward who played with six teams, including spending five seasons each with the Seattle SuperSonics and Phoenix Suns, and Lindsay Whalen, a four-time WNBA Champion and five-time All-Star, with all four of those championships coming with the Minnesota Lynx, whom she now coaches.
    Beyond the first-time nominees, others in the nomination pool for this year's Hall of Fame class include:

• Chauncey Billups, a five-time All-Star and three-time All-NBA selection, as well as winning Finals MVP as part of the 2004 NBA champion Detroit Pistons.

• Richard Hamilton, a three-time All-Star and fellow member of that 2004 Pistons team.

• Shawn Marion, a four-time All-Star and member of the 2011 NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks.
    • Muggsy Bogues, a 14-year NBA veteran who was the smallest player to ever play in the league at 5-foot-3.
    • Mark Jackson, an All-Star in 1989 who is one of six players to record 10,000 career assists.
    • Swin Cash, who won two NCAA championships at the University of Connecticut and three more with the WNBA's Detroit Shock and Seattle Storm.
    This year's Naismith Hall of Fame class will be unveiled during the Final Four in New Orleans in early April, and will be inducted on September 9-10, 2022 in Springfield, Mass.
    Can't wait to see Manu get in. First ballot should be a cinch. Well deserved.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if manu can coach lonnie into being a 6th man scorer and coldblooded finisher than he's unanimous 1st ballot HOF

overall this class seems pretty weak tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if manu can coach lonnie into being a 6th man scorer and coldblooded finisher than he's unanimous 1st ballot HOF

overall this class seems pretty weak tbh
    . KG should have played another year. He had to play 3rd fiddle to the GOAT PF and a dead guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the list of eligibles is pretty laughable so Manu should make it ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the list of eligibles is pretty laughable so Manu should make it ...
    Yeah, Manu should be a shoe-in in that class tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball Reference has Ginobili’s HOF odds at 20% someone needs to check their algorithm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Man, pu pu platter here. Manu is guaranteed with these other people on the ballot. Only one I think really deserves it is Chauncy and maybe, maybe Marion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ha, I love how ESPN highlights Muggsy's HOF qualifications as just being the shortest guy to ever play. Though I do think most say he played on the greatest high school team of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Manu suffer for not being a starter all those years and failing to make more All-Star rosters because of his sacrifice for the team? I hope not. To get a realistic assessment of his skills, you needed to see him on the court in the 4th quarter as our designated closer.

IMHO he was as good a closer in the 4th quarter as any player to ever play the game.

You wanted the ball in his hands because he could not be trapped and was a super reliable FT shooter if fouled, could play terrific defense if Spurs were behind, and was a great offensive shooter in the 4th quarter. And if he was covered by the defense, he could handle the ball and get it to the open man with great passing. He did everything you want in a closer and did it so well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st ballot lock

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball Reference has Ginobili’s HOF odds at 20% someone needs to check their algorithm
    They’re going only by NBA numbers, which is probably accurate. That’s what their formula is based on. He’ll get in on combined NBA and FIBA accomplishments. He’s been a mortal lock since Drazen Petrovic was posthumously enshrined. Their numbers, NBA and FIBA were extremely close at that time. Manu had Olympic gold, Petrovic had World Cup gold.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu and Tony are both first-ballot HoF locks. Manu more so than Tony due to his much greater non-NBA accomplishments.
    Manu is a first ballot lock because of the 2004 gold medal. Tony won't be a first ballot HOFer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu would be in the HoF even if he never played in the NBA, maybe not first ballot though. He had some great years in Europe and of course that 2004 Olympic gold was legendary.

Bkref gives Tony a 93.9% HoF chance. That's based only on NBA numbers. Parker's non-NBA accomplishments aren't even close to Manu's, but they're not nothing either. That's why I think he's a first-ballot lock too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is a first ballot lock because of the 2004 gold medal. Tony won't be a first ballot HOFer.
    I think it would depend on who else is up when Tony is eligible. For instance, he would be first ballot if he were in this deadbeat class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it would depend on who else is up when Tony is eligible. For instance, he would be first ballot if he were in this deadbeat class.
    I think they just wouldn't elect any NBA players in that case. Think you gotta be around KG level to get in first ballot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points fellas. I'm going to back off saying Tony is a first ballot lock. He will get in but I can see it possibly taking an extra year, maybe two. I would still put his first-ballot chances above 50% though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He became a HOFer the second he led Argentina to a Gold Medal.

Winning 4 NBA les just added to the legacy. He BETTER be first ballot, especially with a pretty ho hum list of candidates!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re going only by NBA numbers, which is probably accurate. That’s what their formula is based on. He’ll get in on combined NBA and FIBA accomplishments. He’s been a mortal lock since Drazen Petrovic was posthumously enshrined. Their numbers, NBA and FIBA were extremely close at that time. Manu had Olympic gold, Petrovic had World Cup gold.
    What’s weird is they have Tony at like 93%, but they must be weighing that finals mvp pretty heavily?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s weird is they have Tony at like 93%, but they must be weighing that finals mvp pretty heavily?
    Tony has 5430 more career points and was a 6-time all-star while Manu was a 2-time all-star. There is no doubt in my mind Manu was the more talented player and the guy I wanted with the ball more when a big game was being decided, but he was also pretty injury prone in his prime which hurt his numbers a lot.

Thread Information