Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way this happens is if the Spurs like Saric and Smith more than some projects and injured guys of their own. The roster being this bloated is only their fault. They did not need to sign Zollins or Forbes, and it a questionable what they think of Luka who has had more opportunities than Smith.
    Jock might be another Laprovittola, though I am hoping he’s not that and sticks. KBD is a guy they liked and may have signed hoping he pushes Luka anyways (so as to not have the latter feel en led and without challenge).

Spurs may have very well passed on this deal and are hoping for some better offer for Thad but it s difficult to see where that comes from right now.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fvcking forbes

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ST doesn't value thad at all but that's who the suns are targeting to win a championship?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an OK deal and one that's been discussed for a long time. Of course, I'd rather they hold for a 1st round pick ( Phoenix can offer their 2024 or 2025 first, depending on when they convey this year's pick to OKC ) but there are very few contenders, i.e. teams that'd be interested in Young, who can offer first round picks at all.

I still think Philly would be a great trade partner for Young, post Ben Simmons trade. They're also the only contender who can send a 2022 first.

Because of these reasons I'd expect it to be more realistic getting a young player + 2nd, or two seconds for him.

Btw, I like Saric, even with his injury. I think he'd be an asset a year from now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an OK deal and one that's been discussed for a long time. Of course, I'd rather they hold for a 1st round pick ( Phoenix can offer their 2024 or 2025 first, depending on when they convey this year's pick to OKC ) but there are very few contenders, i.e. teams that'd be interested in Young, who can offer first round picks at all.

I still think Philly would be a great trade partner for Young, post Ben Simmons trade. They're also the only contender who can send a 2022 first.

Because of these reasons I'd expect it to be more realistic getting a young player + 2nd, or two seconds for him.

Btw, I like Saric, even with his injury. I think he'd be an asset a year from now.
    Agree on Philly being one of the few other logical trade partners for Young but they probably have other aspirations for their first (especially if they need to package it when trading Simmons to bring back something even bigger).

Saric is nice, but hard to have two guys on the team basically be redshirts for the full year, particularly when one of your other 15 guys is almost certain to spend almost the entire season in Austin. 12 players plus one in Austin plus two two-ways is not going to cut it if other injuries occur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST doesn't value thad at all but that's who the suns are targeting to win a championship?
    ST values Thad as one of the better trade chips that we have. We all know he is a very good player, but he is probably worth more to another team than to SA given where our team is projected to end in the standings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

POR, BOS, PHI and PHX all make sense IMO…but they should be getting a first unless the young prospect they are getting back is highly regarded and Smith is not.

Saric may be able to net a pick next year though..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naa. Young is a bit more valuable than that. If Suns aren't offering a 1st rounder, the Spurs shouldn't budge. They should let Young play a while..his market value will only rise further if there is no deal with the Suns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric was a meh player when healthy. He's a long way from his draft hype. Folks shouldn't be banking on him having value next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Smith is sent elsewhere, then the Spurs are taking Saric for a late-second. That's not good enough.

There are trades all over the place. The Suns are a popular partner because they don't have to wait until 12/15 and look to be a clear contender. But especially once all contracts are allowed to be traded, it isn't hard for any team to find enough spare salary. Some might want the Spurs to take on a ton of extra money, but actually being able to bring Young in either as a legit player or as salary relief will be easy.

Part of why people want the Spurs to hold out for a first is because the team would be giving up on option value if Thad is dealt for less right now. What they should be hoping for is Young to play well and some team to feel like he's their missing piece to a le run. If not, some team like Atlanta or Sacramento will be looking at this roster and realize they'd prefer an expiring Thad to the mediocre multi-year guy, even if it doesn't lead to being a contender.
    As I said, my guess is Smith's current value is an early 2nd.

Name one. I get the sense that Young's ultimate value will be two 2nds (one early). Off the top, Fournier, Oladipo (damaged goods, but still), Drummond, Fultz (unique case, but still) and Evans are all recent examples of players who either went for markedly less than expected or didn't go at all because that's all they could fetch.

They'd also be ensuring they get something before he potentially either declines or gets an injury significant enough to lessen or altogether torpedo his value, which with their luck will probably happen. He's also not a good fit in a lot of ways.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would basically be a deal of Young for Smith. Young could almost certainly get the Spurs a first round pick. Is Smith a first round type of talent? No one seems to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta go with the group here. This would be selling low just for the sake of making a move.

Spurs can do better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For roster purposes, Eubanks would have to be in the deal, along with a first from Phoenix. Maybe SA has to give up some seconds to make it even, but they have those extra picks to do that with now.
    I agree that Eubanks could be included in a deal, though not sure why the Spurs would have to give up a pick. Young and Eubanks for Smith, Saric, and 2024 lottery protected 1st is pretty fair tbh.

Phoenix would be essentially be swapping out an injured 4/5 for a heathy 4/5 and swapping out Smith for an upgrade in Eubanks. Maybe a compromise would be letting PHX protect the 2024 pick and making it top 20 protected instead of the typical lottery protected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naa. Young is a bit more valuable than that. If Suns aren't offering a 1st rounder, the Spurs shouldn't budge. They should let Young play a while..his market value will only rise further if there is no deal with the Suns.
    Then teams would only be getting him for like a third or a half of the seasons. So teams likely wouldn't give up a first for him then. There's also the risk of injury or him declining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team that gives up an actual first round pick for Thad young is fcking nuts lmao, nobody trades first round picks anymore unless it’s for a star player or maybe a young player

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team that gives up an actual first round pick for Thad young is fcking nuts lmao, nobody trades first round picks anymore unless it’s for a star player or maybe a young player
    Nuts or desperate. Young was really good last season but think a first is a stretch. Remember though, we are probably talking about a pick in the 22-30 range from a team like Phoenix.

I think Young is better aggregated with other pieces as part of a larger trade. A second isn’t enough for him, especially if absorbing salary beyond this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said, my guess is Smith's current value is an early 2nd.

Name one. I get the sense that Young's ultimate value will be two 2nds (one early). Off the top, Fournier, Oladipo (damaged goods, but still), Drummond, Fultz (unique case, but still) and Evans are all recent examples of players who either went for markedly less than expected or didn't go at all because that's all they could fetch.

They'd also be ensuring they get something before he potentially either declines or gets an injury significant enough to lessen or altogether torpedo his value, which with their luck will probably happen. He's also not a good fit in a lot of ways.
    Finding a team that'd take him for cap space AND offer a good second is really hard. More likely the best the Spurs could do is cuttable salary and a decent second or a similar prospects, which doesn't help address the issue.

It's trivially easy to find trades for Young. He's a 6-8 high-impact defensive player. I can't think of a team that wouldn't want to add one of those guys. There are as many trades as there are ballast pieces to move. It would be one thing if you were trying to limit the options to teams that would give a first or teams that wouldn't send bad money back. But the Suns deal you proposed does neither of those things, and trades of bad money and bad seconds are all over the place.

The Spurs don't need to "get something". STers should've learned from DeRozan that PATFO doesn't care about letting a guy walk. If Young is a good player for the Spurs then signs elsewhere as a free agent, that's fine. The Spurs didn't "lose" anything. They just used his value for themselves rather than selling it. This isn't like with Simmons where the Spurs are trying to trade Young but playing hard ball for value. We've gotten no indication they want to move him at all, and he's not doing anything to make them. So having him help the Spurs win games this year is the default state of being. The Spurs need to get something good enough to overcome that state, and your deal isn't that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nuts or desperate. Young was really good last season but think a first is a stretch. Remember though, we are probably talking about a pick in the 22-30 range from a team like Phoenix.

I think Young is better aggregated with other pieces as part of a larger trade. A second isn’t enough for him, especially if absorbing salary beyond this year.
    If Phoenix had better frontcourt players, they might have won the chip last year. That's the entire point. There are teams that are close and getting the right piece could push them over the edge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s not even remotely true. High picks, sure. A non lottery first rounder to plug a perceived hole in a contender? Absolutely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, firsts are traded all the time. It's usually not for superstars either. Yes, it's not very realistic to expect the Spurs to get a first and expirings for Young. But it's not hard at all to imagine them getting a first if they trade Young for bad money like in this proposed deal. The only way it's even feasible without the first is if the Spurs love Smith. Otherwise, it's not even a positive package.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://247sports.com/college/maryla...ain-169115477/

How one feels about Jalen Smith seems to be a swing factor in the proposed trade, well, in addition to other factors. This article suggests progress and less bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I do like the idea of packaging Young and Eubanks for Smith, Saric and a first. Phoenix gets two upgrades and saves on long-term salary while really only giving up a future first (lottery protected in 2024)

If Phoenix had better frontcourt players, they might have won the chip last year. That's the entire point. There are teams that are close and getting the right piece could push them over the edge.
    Yeah, Phoenix basically has been a non factor for at least a decade. They nearly won last season, so it makes sense for them to be aggressive so they can try and win next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finding a team that'd take him for cap space AND offer a good second is really hard. More likely the best the Spurs could do is cuttable salary and a decent second or a similar prospects, which doesn't help address the issue.

It's trivially easy to find trades for Young. He's a 6-8 high-impact defensive player. I can't think of a team that wouldn't want to add one of those guys. There are as many trades as there are ballast pieces to move. It would be one thing if you were trying to limit the options to teams that would give a first or teams that wouldn't send bad money back. But the Suns deal you proposed does neither of those things, and trades of bad money and bad seconds are all over the place.

The Spurs don't need to "get something". STers should've learned from DeRozan that PATFO doesn't care about letting a guy walk. If Young is a good player for the Spurs then signs elsewhere as a free agent, that's fine. The Spurs didn't "lose" anything. They just used his value for themselves rather than selling it. This isn't like with Simmons where the Spurs are trying to trade Young but playing hard ball for value. We've gotten no indication they want to move him at all, and he's not doing anything to make them. So having him help the Spurs win games this year is the default state of being. The Spurs need to get something good enough to overcome that state, and your deal isn't that.
    Not necessarily. The Thunder have a million picks, essentially an open roster spot and a need at center, so they might be interested. The Timberwolves have a need at power forward, so if they foolishly think he can play it, they might be too (would have to include Okogie or Layman, but maybe a team like the Raptors, with open spots, is interested in one of them). Obviously, most likely the Spurs would have to be interested in Smith though.

In other words, you don't have one.

Except I didn't propose one, I explained that this is about what I expect Young to fetch.

They should absolutely want to though.

Wrong. That could contribute to winning a few more games, messing up their draft odds and limiting Vassell/blocking Samanic. His only value to them should be in what he can get them in return and they'd be wise to maximize it now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Phoenix basically has been a non factor for at least a decade. They nearly won last season, so it makes sense for them to be aggressive so they can try and win next year.
    People talk about the Sixers needing to maximize Embiid’s prime in the other thread

The Suns are the Sixers x 100 here, as they should be pushing every chip to the middle as their window = as long as CP3 is himself. If they lose again in the finals or late in playoffs, are they going to say “geez at least we didn’t trade a 2024 pick when CP3 is almost 40”? No

Thread Information