Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Jalen Smith the guy the Spurs pretended they were interested in in last year's draft so they could hide their interest in Vassell?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and this moves the needle exactly how?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait, that increases our player count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What league rules are preventing the Spurs from making this move now? As I understand it, Young can be packaged at any time since SA was under the cap when he was received, no?

I just dont see the point of this without Suns coughing up late 1st. Saric isn't even good to begin with and will be out for an entire season and Smith is an unknown. Unless SA is really high on him for some reason there is no reason to make this deal right now or any time soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What league rules are preventing the Spurs from making this move now? As I understand it, Young can be packaged at any time since SA was under the cap when he was received, no?

I just dont see the point of this without Suns coughing up late 1st. Saric isn't even good to begin with and will be out for an entire season and Smith is an unknown. Unless SA is really high on him for some reason there is no reason to make this deal right now or any time soon
    Yeah, all of this. Paying for a dead year of Saric's contract, plus his fit is unclear. Smith is nearly a bust. Even if he could become good, there's a huge logjam in the post for the Spurs right now. And then just a 2nd?

The deal doesn't make sense. If Thaddeus Young has value in the league, wait until the season goes on. Don't get pieces that don't make any sense. Or just keep him and play him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s not league rules, it’s good old fashioned common sense. Neither of those players move the needle a micrometer, so the pick would have to be a first, and a 3rd team would have to be involved to take those two players, and ship us one player, so as to not further increase our roster size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For roster purposes, Eubanks would have to be in the deal, along with a first from Phoenix. Maybe SA has to give up some seconds to make it even, but they have those extra picks to do that with now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be flabbergasted if SA did this deal with no first from PHX. Like CHINOOK said, if they need to add a 2nd ok, but:

1) Thad is a better player than Smith. So why would SA eat Dario’s deal and give PHX the better player? Makes little sense.

2) Roster crunch is already happening and if SA did this deal as reported, they would need to cut 3 players.

3) If SA was just doing PHX a solid for cap space reasons, then eating Dario’s deal for Smith (if they really liked Smith as a prospect) makes sense. But you certainly don’t give them Thad for Smith when eating that Saric deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no 1st, no deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What circus clown is running the spurs front office these days ? That trade doesn't make sense in any way, financial or player wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What circus clown is running the spurs front office these days ? That trade doesn't make sense in any way, financial or player wise.
    Uh, this is just the idea of some internet board jagoff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there is a 1st for 2nd swap in there, i say you do it yesterday

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even with a first, probably in the 25-30 range, this deal is weak.

But it's completely believable with this front office.

They couldn't even squeeze a decent second from Indiana when gifting them a giant trade exception. They pay $4 million for a second but manage to lose Milutinov in the deal.

Only getting bad first or even worse, a crappy second and a nothing player in Smith and a non-playing Saric would be bad, but not too surprising.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, they should try including a 2nd to get them to give up a 1st (the range should fall within' 10ish), but I don't see a better offer materializing. The expectactions here are outlandish.

Smith could very well be in the midst of becoming a bust, but it's too early to conclude that based on a 156 minute sample size (this from a board where a fair amount still think Walker IV and Samanic have All-Star potential if not for Pop).

Even though it'd mean possibly two dead roster spots for a season, I could also see the Spurs having interest in Saric for '22-'23 and possibly beyond as something of insurance in the event Samanic can't cut it and Collins can't recover or do so as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Wright has entered the chat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People will swear by the legitimacy of trade rumors that involve the Spurs picking up a top 5 pick from the Warriors or a diva from the Sixers but then scoff at a low key trade such as this one. The Spurs are all but known for small splash moves such as this. Pure comedy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People will swear by the legitimacy of trade rumors that involve the Spurs picking up a top 5 pick from the Warriors or a diva from the Sixers but then scoff at a low key trade such as this one. The Spurs are all but known for small splash moves such as this. Pure comedy.
    For the record, I thought the Wiseman hysteria was laughably bonkers. This trade? There's something clearly to it, and we've been hearing about it since the Pleistocene, but the current iteration is just flat-pancake stupid.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    jale smith yes plzzzzzz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many players is this team going to have? Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, they should try including a 2nd to get them to give up a 1st (the range should fall within' 10ish), but I don't see a better offer materializing. The expectactions here are outlandish.

Smith could very well be in the midst of becoming a bust, but it's too early to conclude that based on a 156 minute sample size (this from a board where a fair amount still think Walker IV and Samanic have All-Star potential if not for Pop).

Even though it'd mean possibly two dead roster spots for a season, I could also see the Spurs having interest in Saric for '22-'23 and possibly beyond as something of insurance in the event Samanic can't cut it and Collins can't recover or do so as well.
    It's not just the two IR spots. It's the extra player they'd have to cut to make the trade work. Right now, the team still has to cut one of Eubanks, Landale, Samanic and Bates-Diop. If they do this trade, they will either need to include Eubanks or Samanic in the deal or cut an additional member of that foursome. Smith being a meh prospect matters, because they Spurs have to like him more than one of the prospects they already have. Could they? Sure. But if they don't, then the deal is trading a good player AND a better prospect for an injured PF who wasn't highly thought of anyway, a worse prospect and a second. That's not an offer the Spurs should feel bad about passing on. That's an offer that will likely be there later in the year, or in the worst case, it's fine if they just use Thad this year to mentor guys and win more games.

I like Smith just fine, which is why I'd be willing to do this deal if the Suns are willing to compensate the Spurs for the extra player they have to lose to make it work. Upgrading the pick to a first does that. Otherwise, the value just isn't there. Saric might be interesting to the Spurs, but he's clearly negative money, and there's a huge difference between being willing to take a guy for compensation because you like him and taking an IR guy without compensation because you want insurance against the other IR guy you have busting out. That's abysmal asset management.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just the two IR spots. It's the extra player they'd have to cut to make the trade work. Right now, the team still has to cut one of Eubanks, Landale, Samanic and Bates-Diop. If they do this trade, they will either need to include Eubanks or Samanic in the deal or cut an additional member of that foursome. Smith being a meh prospect matters, because they Spurs have to like him more than one of the prospects they already have. Could they? Sure. But if they don't, then the deal is trading a good player AND a better prospect for an injured PF who wasn't highly thought of anyway, a worse prospect and a second. That's not an offer the Spurs should feel bad about passing on. That's an offer that will likely be there later in the year, or in the worst case, it's fine if they just use Thad this year to mentor guys and win more games.

I like Smith just fine, which is why I'd be willing to do this deal if the Suns are willing to compensate the Spurs for the extra player they have to lose to make it work. Upgrading the pick to a first does that. Otherwise, the value just isn't there. Saric might be interesting to the Spurs, but he's clearly negative money, and there's a huge difference between being willing to take a guy for compensation because you like him and taking an IR guy without compensation because you want insurance against the other IR guy you have busting out. That's abysmal asset management.
    True, but as you said, Eubanks could be sent to the Suns or elsewhere or Smith (hard to say his exact worth, but I'm thinking high 2nd, which is basically equivalent to late 1st) could be.

I don't think Young is going to have the value many do for a myriad of reasons: having to match salary, most of the contenders or aspiring ones lack of picks, his age, expiring contract and lack of shooting. Like, in a vac m he's a player those types would like to have, but find me another conceivable trade.

Agreed, but this is the Spurs we're talking about. I could absolutely see the holdup being them trying for a 1st outright, then offering a 2nd to get it, then ultimately settling for a 2nd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but as you said, Eubanks could be sent to the Suns or elsewhere or Smith (hard to say his exact worth, but I'm thinking high 2nd, which is basically equivalent to late 1st) could be.
    If Smith is sent elsewhere, then the Spurs are taking Saric for a late-second. That's not good enough.

I don't think Young is going to have the value many do for a myriad of reasons: having to match salary, most of the contenders or aspiring ones lack of picks, his age, expiring contract and lack of shooting. Like, in a vac m he's a player those types would like to have, but find me another conceivable trade.
    There are trades all over the place. The Suns are a popular partner because they don't have to wait until 12/15 and look to be a clear contender. But especially once all contracts are allowed to be traded, it isn't hard for any team to find enough spare salary. Some might want the Spurs to take on a ton of extra money, but actually being able to bring Young in either as a legit player or as salary relief will be easy.

Part of why people want the Spurs to hold out for a first is because the team would be giving up on option value if Thad is dealt for less right now. What they should be hoping for is Young to play well and some team to feel like he's their missing piece to a le run. If not, some team like Atlanta or Sacramento will be looking at this roster and realize they'd prefer an expiring Thad to the mediocre multi-year guy, even if it doesn't lead to being a contender.

Thread Information