Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scientists created the world's whitest paint. It could eliminate the need for air conditioning.

The whitest paint in the world has been created in a lab at Purdue University, a paint so white that it could eventually reduce or even eliminate the need for air conditioning, scientists say.

The paint has now made it into the Guinness World Records book as the whitest ever made.

So why did the scientists create such a paint? It turns out that breaking a world record wasn't the goal of the researchers: Curbing global warming was.

“When we started this project about seven years ago, we had saving energy and fighting climate change in mind,” said Xiulin Ruan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue, in a statement.

The idea was to make a paint that would reflect sunlight away from a building, researchers said.

Making this paint really reflective, however, also made it really white, according to Purdue University. The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation while also emitting infrared heat. Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.

Using this new paint to cover a roof area of about 1,000 square feet could result in a cooling power of 10 kilowatts. “That’s more powerful than the air conditioners used by most houses,” Ruan said.

Typical commercial white paint gets warmer rather than cooler. Paints on the market that are designed to reject heat reflect only 80% to 90% of sunlight and can’t make surfaces cooler than their surroundings.

Two features make this paint ultra-white: a very high concentration of a chemical compound called barium sulfate – also used in photo paper and cosmetics – and different particle sizes of barium sulfate in the paint, scientists at Purdue said.

Researchers at Purdue have partnered with a company to put this ultra-white paint on the market, according to a news release.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/8378579002/

---

Wonder if Larry Elder was an inspiration, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scientists created the world's whitest paint. It could eliminate the need for air conditioning.

The whitest paint in the world has been created in a lab at Purdue University, a paint so white that it could eventually reduce or even eliminate the need for air conditioning, scientists say.

The paint has now made it into the Guinness World Records book as the whitest ever made.

So why did the scientists create such a paint? It turns out that breaking a world record wasn't the goal of the researchers: Curbing global warming was.

“When we started this project about seven years ago, we had saving energy and fighting climate change in mind,” said Xiulin Ruan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue, in a statement.

The idea was to make a paint that would reflect sunlight away from a building, researchers said.

Making this paint really reflective, however, also made it really white, according to Purdue University. The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation while also emitting infrared heat. Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.

Using this new paint to cover a roof area of about 1,000 square feet could result in a cooling power of 10 kilowatts. “That’s more powerful than the air conditioners used by most houses,” Ruan said.

Typical commercial white paint gets warmer rather than cooler. Paints on the market that are designed to reject heat reflect only 80% to 90% of sunlight and can’t make surfaces cooler than their surroundings.

Two features make this paint ultra-white: a very high concentration of a chemical compound called barium sulfate – also used in photo paper and cosmetics – and different particle sizes of barium sulfate in the paint, scientists at Purdue said.

Researchers at Purdue have partnered with a company to put this ultra-white paint on the market, according to a news release.

---

Trump says orange is the new white.

Poor Uncle Larry is a step behind.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good joke, but that's pretty amazing. Trump s are gonna start painting their roofs black soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good joke, but that's pretty amazing. Trump s are gonna start painting their roofs black soon.
    They might be able to afford using incandescent lightbulbs again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would not eliminate the need for air conditioning

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Karrin would definitely make sure he doubles down on air conditioners just for an "that'll show 'em." Drunk got

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might be able to afford using incandescent lightbulbs again...
    no!

These MAGA MoFo’s are still crying about candles and whale oil lamps!

They are stuck in pre-1861 ideology America.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like another cancer gimmick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Paint emits more heat than it absorbs"

Think about the physics of that statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think what they mean by that is that it that is highly reflective, not that the paint is generating heat all by itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump s lining up against the color white now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what they mean by that is that it that is highly reflective, not that the paint is generating heat all by itself.
    Yup, article states paint is highly reflective.

CCs confusing comment comes from taking out of context: “Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.”

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna be worthless up north though, anything you make up in ac you lose in heating

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are three modes of heat transfer. This paint addresses one.

Probably would lower your energy bill.

Banned
    My Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    Post Count
    Blake likes his white men brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If any of this was true it would be hotter at night because it's black outside. How about that?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It probably means to say that some paint absorbs light energy and then re emits the energy as light and heat.
    Light and heat energy are different wavelengths or frequencies. If you theoretically could have paint that absorbs light and heat energy, and then re emits that energy mostly as light... It would be fkn bright around that space for us. But the material would then not transfer heat energy to the inside of the house.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake likes his white men brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If any of this was true it would be hotter at night because it's black outside. How about that?
    who are you fishing for? Or was this just a joke?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me.
    Black usually refers to the absence of energy in science.

-Clifford

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

---

Almost thought this was a legit post. This invention seems like would save me money. Then..... a Larry Elder reference. Isn't he the same color as you bro? Black on black crime... why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I coulda sworn you were a trump guy. I think i even defended you a few times up in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just being the best Poster B he can be, that is all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost thought this was a legit post. This invention seems like would save me money. Then..... a Larry Elder reference. Isn't he the same color as you bro? Black on black crime... why?
    I'm whiter than that paint...

Thread Information