Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that the Spurs had better odds than MJ's Bulls.
    Do you agree? Would you say the Spurs failed that season?

https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the obvious one is Jordan was even better than thought and Pippen developed into a really good player.
    The Spurs actually flamed out in the first round. The previous season they pushed the WC Champs Portland to 7 games in a series that could have gone either ways.
    That was a team loaded with young talent. However a lot of that talent did not progress and some of it would eventually regress due to bad behavior and injuries.
    I think also Larry Brown wasn't a great fit. Always critical and fussing with this and that.
    Last edited by Maddog; 09-22-2021 at 06:12 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper that was an awesome starting five the Spurs had.

Strickland was always polarizing, but after Kyrie Irving still the best handles I’ve seen. mings was old when he came to us, but he was a really good PF and former all star. Sean and Dave were pups, but clearly studs. Willie was soft at times, but a smooth athlete.

There were some decent bench pieces on that team if I recall too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper that was an awesome starting five the Spurs had.

Strickland was always polarizing, but after Kyrie Irving still the best handles I’ve seen. mings was old when he came to us, but he was a really good PF and former all star. Sean and Dave were pups, but clearly studs. Willie was soft at times, but a smooth athlete.

There were some decent bench pieces on that team if I recall too.
    The Bench was crap
    That Summer the Spurs traded Brickowski a decent PF/C for the corpse of Paul Pressey. The bench was basically Pressey and Wingate.
    mings was only 29 that season far from old. In retrospect the players outside of Dave where flawed and never improved significantly from where they where in 89. Some where head cases (see Rod). Others would suc b to injuries (Willie and mings). I would also add Larry Brown didn't help.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Generally speaking, as an outsider non spur fan, I believed the entire Robinson era, pre Duncan was a underachievement - especially the Rodman years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Lakers did have higher odds than Portland

Th WCF were not an upset after all

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Generally speaking, as an outsider non spur fan, I believed the entire Robinson era, pre Duncan was a underachievement - especially the Rodman years.
    Those Spurs teams remind me of the KG Wolves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were coming off of a phenomenal season and rookie David was an incredible player. That Portland series was one of the highlights of the Robinson era. The starting 5 seemed really complete, the additions of mings and later Rod Strickland really solidified the team.

I was in the 9th grade. All of san antonio was about to get a few years' worth of lessons on how hard it is to win a le.

The Robinson Spurs werent so much "underachievers", given what we know now, they never had the proper support for David to be successful. Bull coaching, cheap ownership, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the obvious one is Jordan was even better than thought and Pippen developed into a really good player.
    The Spurs actually flamed out in the first round. The previous season they pushed the WC Champs Portland to 7 games in a series that could have gone either ways.
    That was a team loaded with young talent. However a lot of that talent did not progress and some of it would eventually regress due to bad behavior and injuries.
    I think also Larry Brown wasn't a great fit. Always critical and fussing with this and that.
    I started following NBA in 1990-1991 but didn't follow San Antonio closely this year.
    Sean and DRob talk about the early 90s teams in this clip below from last year - evidently many publications had the Spurs getting to the Finals in 1991 (based on taking Portland to game 7 in 1990, I'd wager).

For those of you who watched in real-time and remember, how exactly did 7th seed Golden State win in 4 games in 1991? Was it a case of Run TMC playing out of their minds, and the Spurs laying an egg? All four games are uploaded on youtube but I'm too lazy to watch 8 hours of basketball. Trying to get a cliff-notes version.

1992 looks like DRob missed the playoffs. 1993 Barkley was at his absolute prime. 1994 I know Utah was reaching their peak and Rodman I'm sure was creating chemistry havoc. 1995 was all Rodman I recall. 1996 Utah again being unstoppable.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Those Spurs teams remind me of the KG Wolves.
    I thought the Spurs were more talented than KG's Wolves, tbh. And Drob was a better player than KG, imo.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I started following NBA in 1990-1991 but didn't follow San Antonio closely this year.
    Sean and DRob talk about the early 90s teams in this clip below from last year - evidently many publications had the Spurs getting to the Finals in 1991 (based on taking Portland to game 7 in 1990, I'd wager).

For those of you who watched in real-time and remember, how exactly did 7th seed Golden State win in 4 games in 1991? Was it a case of Run TMC playing out of their minds, and the Spurs laying an egg? All four games are uploaded on youtube but I'm too lazy to watch 8 hours of basketball. Trying to get a cliff-notes version.

1992 looks like DRob missed the playoffs. 1993 Barkley was at his absolute prime. 1994 I know Utah was reaching their peak and Rodman I'm sure was creating chemistry havoc. 1995 was all Rodman I recall. 1996 Utah again being unstoppable.

Robinson and Rodman was Yin and Yang that should have worked out very well. I thought the Spurs management should have been more Phil Jackson-esque and not tried to micro manage him knowing how much of a head case he is.

Regardless, damn that team was fun to watch those two years. Never missed a nationally televised game with that team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

IDK what happened vs GSW but apparently Larry Brown wasn't happy with Robinson and Sean's defensive efforts

Or it could have been a bad matchup vs Run TMC

But as already mentioned in this thread, Brown was a perfectionist in an imperfect game and could be overly critical of his players; in this case I feel he just singled out his 2 stars to dodge the blame or send a message or some

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the Spurs were more talented than KG's Wolves, tbh. And Drob was a better player than KG, imo.
    Agree on both counts. I was just drawing the parallel with both of them being MVP-level players whose teams didn't have commensurate playoff success.

DRob's 7 (healthy) Spurs seasons pre-Duncan had 3 first round exits, 3 second round exits, and that show WCF in 1995.

KG's 8 playoff seasons with the Wolves had 7 first round exits and the WCF appearance in 2004.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson and Rodman was Yin and Yang that should have worked out very well. I thought the Spurs management should have been more Phil Jackson-esque and not tried to micro manage him knowing how much of a head case he is.

Regardless, damn that team was fun to watch those two years. Never missed a nationally televised game with that team.
    Those teams were what got me to be a spurs fan way back early in '94 as a kid.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Lakers did have higher odds than Portland

Th WCF were not an upset after all
    I think the betting odds were higher for the Lakers because of all the LA gamblers.
    I don't think they were considered better than the Blazers or Spurs though.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls were coming off of back-to-back conference finals appearances. They weren't off the radar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the betting odds were higher for the Lakers because of all the LA gamblers.
    I don't think they were considered better than the Blazers or Spurs though.
    Good point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Rod Strickland

Also : Peyton Manning at 20:54
    Last edited by lefty; 09-23-2021 at 08:37 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To a degree, Terry mings was the forerunner to Corey Maggette.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody bothered to play defense that series besides Robinson. It was a show. Just up and down and giving up open look after open look. Even after game 1 which we won, it was all bc of offense and not bc we played defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know it's the offseason when a discussion is posted about betting odds from a non-championship season from 30 years ago.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Rod Strickland

Also : Peyton Manning at 20:54

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the Blazers were the best team in 91.
    They were Stern's nightmare.

Thread Information