Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will never trust NBA measurements. It’s like believing the height/weight of pro wrestlers back in the day. Undertaker was 7 feet tall when he debuted, now he is 6’10. Heights are always too tall and weights are never updated. I remember prime Lebron was listed at 230 and I was like no effing way. Dude is easily 250. Mills isn’t 6 feet either or whatever bull they had him at. I’ve met Patty and I’m taller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not misunderstanding how unlikely it is. Im primarily pointing to the odd assumption that the Spurs or TC (as if that’s a different en y) are puffing up heights to be dishonest for God knows whatever reason. Like, it’s more believable to say that whoever is measuring during TC isnt doing a good job than to say they have this hidden agenda that theyre trying to pull off.
    So you seemingly missed most of what I wrote just to repeat what you said. The biggest takeaway is that the tweet lied. Nobody's heights changed from last season to this season. So there's no "Why would the Spurs do this?", because they didn't do it. The author of the tweet used shorter measurements for everyone but Walker whom he mistakenly says the Spurs measured as being taller. My guess is those shorter measurements are actually true compared to the inaccurate ones the Spurs have listed historically. It could be a shoes-vs-barefoot thing, or it could be the Spurs taking height with a grain of salt as they've long done.

But yeah, assuming like eight guys in their 20s all grew is astronomically unlikely. Like I'd have zero problem calling the Spurs liars if they came out and said that (which they didn't, just as a reminder). No one of the team has any chance to grow except Primo, and that's not just because of his age but because they specifically said his growth plates are open. For most men, those close at around 16, so it's a rare thing for him to still have any chance at all of growing. Even with all of that stuff fixed, the odds of him growing are still low. Add in that no one else has been confirmed to still have their plates open, and there's no statistical basis for suggesting anyone grew. It happens. Famously Robinson and White both had growth spurts in college. Giannis and George both reported added an inch or two of height in the NBA after their rookie years. But there have been thousands of NBA players in that time, and getting four examples, or even multiplying it by 10 and saying 40 guys definitely grew in their late teens and 20s reveals the low odds of it happening. Raise that to the eighth power, and... Even generously saying 1 percent of NBAers grow taller early in their career, you still have 1/100,000,000 that all of those guys grew like the tweet said.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to chill. As if Twitter is the New York Times of of journalism. IT IS ING TWITTER. Anyone with a loose bean in the cranium can have a sports take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    such bull . It would be a lightening strike if Primo grows over this year. Those other guys didn't randomly gain inches in their mid 20s
    On the left is clearly measuring w/o shoes and right is with. Never made sense for the NBA to go to listing guys' heights w/o shoes when they don't play barefoot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the left is clearly measuring w/o shoes and right is with. Never made sense for the NBA to go to listing guys' heights w/o shoes when they don't play barefoot.
    The problem is even with the shoe heights they exaggerate the heights of the players. For example I'm 6'2 but I met Kemba Walker once in person several years ago. I had at least 3 inches on Kemba but Kemba was listed by the Hornets to be 6'1. Kemba just recently mentioned his real height is 5'11. No way does a shoe give you more than an added inch in height.

Thread Information