Post Count
    Key losses:
    - Derozan
    - Rudy Gay
    - Patty Mills

Key Additions:
    - Forbes
    - McDermott

We lost arguably our best player, our best glue/locker room guy, and our best and most reliable guy off the bench. I'm not seeing anymore than like 28 wins this season, and if we want to tank for a low pick... then sure. But not sure Pop is willing to tank in the twilight of his career.

On paper, we look way worse than we did last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will be bad but I’m looking forward to seeing them play (other than Forbes) with no expectations.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    im just exhilarated that i can watch spurs basketball again......... i boycotted the entire bubble & ensuing season due to gay/derozan/lma/mills being on the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna smash a couple TV sets watching Forbes do his annoying AF clapping and getting butt- ed by whoever he's guarding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Key losses:
    - Derozan
    - Rudy Gay
    - Patty Mills

Key Additions:
    - Forbes
    - McDermott

We lost arguably our best player, our best glue/locker room guy, and our best and most reliable guy off the bench. I'm not seeing anymore than like 28 wins this season, and if we want to tank for a low pick... then sure. But not sure Pop is willing to tank in the twilight of his career.

On paper, we look way worse than we did last season.
    Demar’s basketball is not winning basketball, at least not in this modern NBA. His iso plays and unwillingness to shoot the open 3’s consistently were hurting us. As a 2nd or 3rd option, he would be great. I wish him luck with the Bulls. Patty, I would’ve kept. But I think that they view Forbes as more aligned with the age of our core. Our vets are gone, and it’s time for our youngsters to shine. It’s boom or bust for some of them, but this year is a great opportunity for them to prove themselves. Pop promises an up-tempo offense with a lot of passing, and less isolation. I think they will finally play to their strength. We have long athletic guards who can rim run and push the tempo. Likewise we have long athletic players, who can potentially switch on anyone, nobody really a defensive liability, except for Forbes. I still have to watch McDermont. But I think we will see a version of the beautiful game, and promises to be fun. I know they might lose a lot or not, defends on how they trust the system, make crisp passes and hit open shots. Plenty of transition offense similar to early 90’s Spurs also. I’m excited to see this new team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    32 wins and another pick in the 10-15 range.

I think the team will compete and catch some people by surprise to pull off a few upsets, but we just don't have the firepower to make the playoffs unless 2 or 3 of the young guys really take a leap.

We are also probably one or two injuries away from being a bottom dweller, but I don't see Pop letting this crew purposefully tank.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’ll be better than last year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we stay relatively healthy then this is a playoff team...probably the 5th or 6th seed. We have been freed of every single shackle that was holding us back. Ma touches, Denevershoota3zan, the corpse of Rudy Gay, and I only shoot long 2's and 3's while doing nothing else Mills. Forbes being back is a bummer but we got so many guards on this team even Pop at his poppest couldn't find minutes for him.

Playing a real big or a real undersized big at pf instead of Derozan will make a ton of difference for this team. If Luka plays well we could be a 4 or even 3 seed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    32 wins and another pick in the 10-15 range.

I think the team will compete and catch some people by surprise to pull off a few upsets, but we just don't have the firepower to make the playoffs unless 2 or 3 of the young guys really take a leap.

We are also probably one or two injuries away from being a bottom dweller, but I don't see Pop letting this crew purposefully tank.
    the only reason I'm hopeful for more than 32 wins, which btw is my prediction as well, is that Tre and Luka are kinda unknowns in what their upsides could mean for the team. I think we have a pretty good handle on where most of the other guys games are at, but Luka coming in and giving stellar D and dropping 16 and 8, along with a solid D and scoring punch our of your 2nd team PG could be huge for this team. Enough so to make them a marginal playoff contender even.

Their games, given significant minutes and actual production, make us a much, much better team.

Problem is I don't think either will see significant enough minutes, barring a White injury or something, to actually produce to those levels. So I'm sticking with 32-50.

That said, I think both of those guys along with the potential for an occasional outstanding game from Primo are really the only hopes for W-L improvement on this squad.

I feel like Thad is basically a push for Rudy. Forbes is a push or even deficit over Mills. And losing DD is a bigger hit than most realize, and is unlikely to be overcome by the higher 3 pt percentage from McBuckets.

All in all, we likely finish close to the record we have had the last two years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine with whatever happens this year, as long as the young guys show improvement and give clarity on the path forward. And will be watching college ball for the first time in a long time.

The Spurs have a ton of useful pieces but no centerpiece. But they also don’t have cap albatrosses or a deficit of picks, so are positioned just fine.

I’m going with 34-46 and 12th in west.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar’s basketball is not winning basketball, at least not in this modern NBA. His iso plays and unwillingness to shoot the open 3’s consistently were hurting us. As a 2nd or 3rd option, he would be great. I wish him luck with the Bulls. Patty, I would’ve kept. But I think that they view Forbes as more aligned with the age of our core. Our vets are gone, and it’s time for our youngsters to shine. It’s boom or bust for some of them, but this year is a great opportunity for them to prove themselves. Pop promises an up-tempo offense with a lot of passing, and less isolation. I think they will finally play to their strength. We have long athletic guards who can rim run and push the tempo. Likewise we have long athletic players, who can potentially switch on anyone, nobody really a defensive liability, except for Forbes. I still have to watch McDermont. But I think we will see a version of the beautiful game, and promises to be fun. I know they might lose a lot or not, defends on how they trust the system, make crisp passes and hit open shots. Plenty of transition offense similar to early 90’s Spurs also. I’m excited to see this new team.
    Well, you can say DDR doesn't play winning basketball, whatever that means. But he won a lot of games for us in the last 5 minutes as the only guy that could create his own shot and score consistently. Without that, we are guaranteed to lose probably most of the close games as there is no scorer of his talent on this roster. I guess it would be fair to say that if DDR doesn't play winning basketball, the same will be said of everyone on this roster because they are going to lose a lot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’ll be better than last year.
    There are a number of games that the Spurs won because DDR took over the last few minutes and won the games. When he was out, the Spurs struggled to score. I think it is going to be a painful season, but one that is necessary to get the franchise changing draft picks. It's no guarantee, but there is a chance the Spurs can get that player if they lose a lot. They should've done this last year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can argue that DDR won some close games for us, but I felt he lose others for us. Especially towards the end of the season, other teams just allow DRR to shoot mid range without foul and they counter with 3 pts both to chase the Spurs and hold off the Spurs. If DDR failed to get his foul or miss a couple of times, he just goes into tunnel vision. The rest of the team can be wide open and the ball is not going to them. Besides the Spurs are known to lose in Q1 and Q3, where he is playing heavy minutes, so it's really debatable on whether he win or lose more games for us.
    Last edited by XDT76; 09-28-2021 at 09:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you can say DDR doesn't play winning basketball, whatever that means. But he won a lot of games for us in the last 5 minutes as the only guy that could create his own shot and score consistently. Without that, we are guaranteed to lose probably most of the close games as there is no scorer of his talent on this roster. I guess it would be fair to say that if DDR doesn't play winning basketball, the same will be said of everyone on this roster because they are going to lose a lot.
    I liked Demar. He was a good soldier who did his job and never complained. But he doesn’t really get us over the hill, and he’s taking away (minutes, possessions) from the youngsters to develop. Spurs basically needed to move on.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think they are gonna have a very rough first half, but come on strong in the 2nd half and ultimately finish with like 34 wins. And with that ridiculous 10 seed play-in stuff, who knows, maybe they get into the playoffs.

I think Johnson will average around 23 ppg as the feature guy. White being the obvious wildcard with his fragility. DDR 'loss' is addition by subtraction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 games but an exciting season nonetheless so long as Pop gives the right guys the minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    28 is a long shot. More like 10

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what to expect... and I kinda like that. Derozan was a great player, but a net negative. With the young guys getting more playing time, they could rise and play well together and someone could become an all star. Or, they could completely the bed. No expectations for 2021-2022.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally at the bottom and finally a top pick

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, this year is about establishing the value of our players and seeing who is worth the long term investment and, if they don't want to invest in a particular player, can they up their value and get a good draft pick or another younger player they like. Also, I think they will make a play on any star that becomes available. But this team will not win 30 games. I think they will win max mid 20s and that's totally fine. We need to get a lottery pick and the best chance of getting a difference maker. And, we need to see what we have in the players we have drafted. The goal is not to make the playoffs. The goal is to develop, improve, and set up the team so in a few years it can be compe ive again for a championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if derrick white stays healthy all year, i can see us competing for an 8th spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should win 33-38 games this year which is on par with last year's team. Where that lands us in the standings is really anybody's guess. All teams will have issues and injuries just like us. As always we win some games we should lose and lose games we should win. That's what you get with a young group, inconsistency.

I expect we will be in the running for a play in spot until the last two weeks of the season where the young talent may eventually hit a wall and run out of energy or get their second wind and finish strong. Either way this will set us up for a chance for a good to great draft pick next year.

Everyone on the team has their shots so lets start the season with a bang and not an injury. Go spurs go!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on Coach Pop rotations. More than likely he's going to use the opposite of what most us fans feel he should use - like playing Forbes in certain situations that clearly, it seems maybe Devin or LW4 should be on the court. Or playing someone over Luka when clearly, Luka should be in the game. So it's hard to answer the initial question when you have Coach Pop running the show. My guess would be 36 - 46 just outside the playoffs but hey, I'm very excited about this current team aa long as Forbes gets less playing than I'm anticipating and Luka gets more playing time than I'm anticipating.

Thread Information