Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More background on the rather long article at the link.-RG
    A fair election he didn't like, and the playbook is right out of every authoritarian tin pot dictator's...

Last year, John Eastman, whom CNN describes as an attorney working with Donald Trump’s legal team, wrote a preposterous memo outlining how then–Vice President Mike Pence could overturn the 2020 election by fiat or, failing that, throw the election to the House of Representatives, where Republicans could install Trump in office despite his loss to Joe Biden. The do ent, which was first reported by the Washington Post journalists Bob Woodward and Robert Costa in their new book, is a step-by-step plan to overthrow the government of the United States through a preposterous interpretation of legal procedure.

Pence apparently took the idea seriously—so seriously, in fact, that, according to Woodward and Costa, former Vice President Dan Quayle had to talk him out of it. Prior to November, the possibility of Trump attempting a coup was seen as the deranged fever dream of crazed liberals. But as it turns out, Trump and his advisers had devised explicit plans for reversing Trump’s loss. Republican leaders deliberately stoked election conspiracy theories they knew to be false, in order to lay a political pretext for invalidating the results. Now, more than 10 months after the election, the country knows of at least five ways in which Trump attempted to retain power despite his defeat.

1. Trump tried to pressure secretaries of state to not certify.
    2. Trump tried to pressure state legislatures to overturn the results.
    3. Trump tried to get the courts to overturn the results.
    4. Trump tried to pressure Mike Pence to overturn the results.
    5. When all else failed, Trump tried to get a mob to overturn the results.

At the core of these attempts is a dangerous ideology—the presumption that because Trump supporters represent “Real Americans,” the will of democratic majorities can be disregarded. This does not mean that the Republican Party is incapable of winning majorities, but that winning them is irrelevant to whether or not the party’s Trumpist faithful believe they are en led to wield power. Win or lose, their claim to be the sole authentic inheritors of the American tradition means they are the only ones who can legitimately govern and are therefore justified in seizing power by any means. This is the modern incarnation of an old ideology, one that has justified excluding certain groups of Americans from the suffrage on the basis that their participation is an affront to the political process.

American traditions of unfreedom always represent themselves as democracy’s protectors, rather than its undertakers, and this one is no different. If Biden were allowed to take office, Eastman insisted in a longer version of his memo, “we will have ceased to be a self-governing people.” The catastrophe is not only that Trump tried to overthrow an election. It is that so many Americans were cheering him on.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...d-coup/620157/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    coming soon, Government of National Salvation 2.0

will be wild!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great thing is that even through all of trump's plans, Biden is president and not trump!

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Great thing is that even through all of trump's plans, Biden is president and not trump!
    No.

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

That sucker squattin' in the White House never existed in the scrolls.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    More background on the rather long article at the link.-RG
    A fair election he didn't like, and the playbook is right out of every authoritarian tin pot dictator's...

Last year, John Eastman, whom CNN describes as an attorney working with Donald Trump’s legal team, wrote a preposterous memo outlining how then–Vice President Mike Pence could overturn the 2020 election by fiat or, failing that, throw the election to the House of Representatives, where Republicans could install Trump in office despite his loss to Joe Biden. The do ent, which was first reported by the Washington Post journalists Bob Woodward and Robert Costa in their new book, is a step-by-step plan to overthrow the government of the United States through a preposterous interpretation of legal procedure.

Pence apparently took the idea seriously—so seriously, in fact, that, according to Woodward and Costa, former Vice President Dan Quayle had to talk him out of it. Prior to November, the possibility of Trump attempting a coup was seen as the deranged fever dream of crazed liberals. But as it turns out, Trump and his advisers had devised explicit plans for reversing Trump’s loss. Republican leaders deliberately stoked election conspiracy theories they knew to be false, in order to lay a political pretext for invalidating the results. Now, more than 10 months after the election, the country knows of at least five ways in which Trump attempted to retain power despite his defeat.

1. Trump tried to pressure secretaries of state to not certify.
    2. Trump tried to pressure state legislatures to overturn the results.
    3. Trump tried to get the courts to overturn the results.
    4. Trump tried to pressure Mike Pence to overturn the results.
    5. When all else failed, Trump tried to get a mob to overturn the results.

At the core of these attempts is a dangerous ideology—the presumption that because Trump supporters represent “Real Americans,” the will of democratic majorities can be disregarded. This does not mean that the Republican Party is incapable of winning majorities, but that winning them is irrelevant to whether or not the party’s Trumpist faithful believe they are en led to wield power. Win or lose, their claim to be the sole authentic inheritors of the American tradition means they are the only ones who can legitimately govern and are therefore justified in seizing power by any means. This is the modern incarnation of an old ideology, one that has justified excluding certain groups of Americans from the suffrage on the basis that their participation is an affront to the political process.

American traditions of unfreedom always represent themselves as democracy’s protectors, rather than its undertakers, and this one is no different. If Biden were allowed to take office, Eastman insisted in a longer version of his memo, “we will have ceased to be a self-governing people.” The catastrophe is not only that Trump tried to overthrow an election. It is that so many Americans were cheering him on.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...d-coup/620157/
    Boiled down...

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and yet…

traitors still cheer for traitors

this is now the usa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much more serious, where was, is the widespread outrage from Repugs about the Eastman memos?

There isn't any, because the Repugs (100+ SIGNED to annul the 2020 election) were, are, WILL BE sympathetic to the rigging/stealing of elections and replacing USA's Potemkin democracy with Capitalist/Christian FASCISM.

America is ed and un able. The continued ing is unstoppable

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    and yet…

this is now the usa
    Please. You set the line the morning after...

Trump President.

Not Clinton.

You've nobody to blame but yourselves. Your regrets are your own. I've no sympathy for you.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Much more serious, where was, is the widespread outrage from Repugs about the Eastman memos?

There isn't any, because the Repugs (100+ SIGNED to annul the 2020 election) were, are, WILL BE sympathetic to the rigging/stealing of elections and replacing USA's Potemkin democracy with Capitalist/Christian FASCISM.

Good. I believe it was Jefferson who said that "the tree of freedom requires the blood of patriots to renew itself from time-to-time." Not verbatim, but you get the idea, bouts.

And of course to bring it properly into the last half century..."They drew first blood."

- "Rambo, John J." - "First Blood"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and yet…

this is now the usa
    Yup, they do not care if it will lead to the destruction of country or their family members.

Glad Biden was elected president, not trump.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yup, they do not care if it will lead to the destruction of country or their family members.

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Historically, I think Biden Presidency will be seen as waste of time. All major bills blocked by his own party, then probably defeated by Trash in 2024.

A major wish is that Trash is convicted for tax/etc crimes and jailed in the next couple years.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-28-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash loses NDA suit against Omarosa Manigault Newman. Trash pays her costs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically, I think Biden Presidency will be seen as waste of time. All major bills blocked by his own party, then probably defeated by Trash in 2024.

A major wish is the Trash is convicted and tax/etc crimes and jailed in the next couple years.
    Eh. I see Biden’s Presidency as moving away from the trump lunacy and rejection of gop’s one-upmanship madness.

With decline of boomers, 2024 will result in another gop schlonging.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Too many threads, and koriwhats, and and all the other useful idiots.

Slavishly doing the work of the oligarchs who would them raw if it made them a half a cent more.

The ones that aren't entirely idiots seem to be greedy s whose primary concern is purely selfish.

Greed and stupidity.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh. I see Biden’s Presidency as moving away from the trump lunacy and rejection of gop’s one-upmanship madness.

the Repugs are WORSE now than under Trump. Dems are powerless softballers in the face Repugs smash-mouth hardball.

Schumer could ignore the bribed, right-wing parliamentarian blocking $15/hour, etc (getting support of the progressives), but the ing, useless wimp won't do it.

No Dem will win any red state in 2024, as the Repug legislatures will select Repugs Electors separate from the popular vote.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    the Repugs are WORSE now than under Trump. Dems are powerless softballers in the face Repugs smash-mouth hardball.

Schumer could ignore the bribed, right-wing parliamentarian blocking $15/hour, etc (getting support of the progressives), but the ing, useless wimp won't do it.

No Dem will win any red state in 2024, as the Repug legislatures will select Repugs Electors separate from the popular vote.
    You don't believe that for an instant and it's terribly sad to see you kneel in such a manner, bouts.

Christ, act like somebody, gd it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Too many threads, and koriwhats, and and all the other useful idiots.

Slavishly doing the work of the oligarchs who would them raw if it made them a half a cent more.

The ones that aren't entirely idiots seem to be greedy s whose primary concern is purely selfish.

Greed and stupidity.
    Lookee at RG talking to me thru bouts.

LMCONTROLLINAO!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

No, Effy, no way. We knew that the moment he called us "chumps" for voting for 45. That's when (((I))) knew he couldn't let go just like the rest of the Trump haters.

Biden took an incoming shot again when he went on that trip about a month a go and people held signs stating thus: " Biden." He was aghast, and bless his black heart, with a straight ing face no less. Yeah, can you imagine that? When DeNiro called Trump a mother er Biden didn't say a word. When those rag head women in Congress called Trump a mother er nary a word from Biden. When Madonna threatened to blow up the White House the day Trump moved into it, not a word from Bide. When Milley threatened to shoot President Trump to death nary a word from Biden.

He got a taste of his own medicine with the " Tru....I mean " Biden" signs and he goes into a funk. Now he knows, that mother er.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I really hope what you are saying comes to fruition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TDS

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pity post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope what you are saying comes to fruition.
    Glad to see you've moved past pretending to be a reasonable guy to expousing loud and proud fascism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (there was never any doubt in my mind about it)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there's stopping the Capitalist/Christian fascism

the Dems can't

citizens can't

SCOTUS6 won't, are pro-Capitalist, pro-fascist

Thread Information