Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    A single non-gamer with a good Verizon 5G signal at home could probably just get a Visible plan for $40 a month and not miss traditional home internet. Its tethering is limited to one device but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.
    that's a dealbreaker since I work multiple jobs with multiple laptops.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    that's a dealbreaker since I work multiple jobs with multiple laptops.
    but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    but any Windows 10 laptop or some ASUS routers could hotspot it to the other devices.
    but wouldn't that require a prohibitively restrictive and bersome amount of wires?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but wouldn't that require a prohibitively restrictive and bersome amount of wires?
    Why would one router require a bersome amount of wires?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    One wire from the phone to the router or hotspot laptop. The laptop option doesn't even require one wire tbh. I'm surprised you haven't tried something similar when you're doing all this traveling you're talking about. It would have to be a really good 5G connection to be worth it full time, but I've been able to stream stuff on a Roku @ 720P (1080P with a good signal) while doing some browsing on the laptop using a 4G phone. Some plans might let you use the phone as a hotspot for more than one device at a time directly; not the one I was using, hence the workarounds.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 10-12-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    They just laid Google fiber in the area but I'm sticking with ATT.
    Haven't had any major issues in the last few years except for about a month ago when it went out for a full weekend

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    ATT seems to respond to the ol' "give me det promotional rate or I'm leaving" routine that used to work with Time Warner Cable. They'll give away HBO Max from time to time as well.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    ATT seems to respond to the ol' "give me det promotional rate or I'm leaving" routine that used to work with Time Warner Cable. They'll give away HBO Max from time to time as well.
    AT&T didn't give us free HBO but they gave us free Showtime & Cinemax for 3 months this past summer.

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How is Comcast?

Haven't even seen it around here. Is it predominately somewhere else in the country?
    North East... they are .

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Judging from the amount of people complaining on Nextdoor, Google Fiber is dog . People just have a hard on for it because of the speed test results. Working from home would be a real challenge with service like I see constantly being reported around the neighborhood.
    I had a Google Fiber installation in NJ for years before moving to the west coast, and it was solid. Speed was great and very little downtime.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It still works for Spectrum, but you can tell they are trained not to extend the promotional period. You might have to call a few times but one of them will eventually cave

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why would one router require a bersome amount of wires?
    And he's supposed to be an IT pro

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    And he's supposed to be an IT pro
    not "that" kind of IT... that's network stuff, hardware stuff, helpdesk support stuff, I'm pretty green at that...

my job revolves around carefully responding to emails and appeasing some indians regarding business system analyst type excel and data analyst work... software data "engineering" really just checking on some code and writing BRDs and also doing data analysis with statistics... on the computer at the comfort of working remotely.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    not "that" kind of IT... that's network stuff, hardware stuff, helpdesk support stuff, I'm pretty green at that...

my job revolves around carefully responding to emails and appeasing some indians regarding business system analyst type excel and data analyst work... software data "engineering" really just checking on some code and writing BRDs and also doing data analysis with statistics... on the computer at the comfort of working remotely.
    Which obviously requires you to travel across the country.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Which obviously requires you to travel across the country.
    It doesn't require me to, I just do it anyway for personal pleasure, and get to work remotely from where ever I am as long as there's decent internet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

.. so you work for the Indians, not vice versa?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    .. so you work for the Indians, not vice versa?
    their corporation pays me, so yeah

if I started a business it would be college student living real estate apartments complexes. sort of as a landlord and property manager. IT consulting. I'm only in it for the dough. I'm over 85% of the way to my first million in the bank.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    their corporation pays me, so yeah

if I started a business it would be college student living real estate apartments complexes. sort of as a landlord and property manager. IT consulting. I'm only in it for the dough. I'm over 85% of the way to my first million in the bank.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I cancelled Spectrum and have AT&T fiber now. Spectrum was dog , antiquated equipment and long ass resets with service bandwidth drops constantly. No issues now and I don't miss "channels". tbh, you get the same channels over and over and they just call it more channels. Just buy what you want to watch or get streaming services, customize your viewing and browsing choices and don't pay too much for service. I pay less than a quarter of what I was paying and get at least 2x more.

Man I would ing murder for upload speeds like that. Is that a business plan?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Man I would ing murder for upload speeds like that. Is that a business plan?
    Nah, I used to have ATT Fiber and it is just those speeds. It's great if it's in your area.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cartoon incoming!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cartoon incoming!
    definitely a lot of potential there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nah, I used to have ATT Fiber and it is just those speeds. It's great if it's in your area.
    Got a Spectrum plan that came with my condo and I run a Plex server for myself and my family. Upload speed is like 11 mbps

Thread Information