Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what about what I said? pop said he'd earned more PT, then benched his ass for like a month straight without even mop up minutes?
    You think earning PT is like a lifetime thing? Like buying a lifetime pass at the Golden Corral?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got waived so quickly during training camp given that he was a first pick and the Spurs have invested in him that I wonder if it was just that he had the wrong at ude. Kind of reminds me how Jimmer was in the Spurs training camp, played like two games, and then he was gone. You would think these guys would be final cuts, but there must be some reason why they don't even get to play out the rest of the preseason games.
    If that's what Luka looked like in games, just imagine what that POS looked like in practice. Don't get too comfy Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a quitter but today's league is built around quitters. He'll land somewhere.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what about when he said last yr that Luka had earned more pt then promptly didn't play him for like 13 games.

pop. he's a horror on a young player's psyche. I'd ing hate playing for him.
    Pretty sure Tony Parker would disagree with you, and I have never seen Pop harder on a young guy than he was TP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh i'm sure Pop is fair enough to give his players more playing time if he can see that they are putting in effort during training etc. Probably the only time Luka puts in considerable amount of effort is in the weight room but whenever he's in scrimmage etc he just look lost and and just coasting as though training/summer league/preseason is beneath him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FO is incredibly kind to do this now. Gives him time to land somewhere before preseason is over. Did him a solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Samanic and Jackie Butler goats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What benefit do they get cutting him right now? As you said they could’ve kept him longer, unless he really rubbed somebody bad. I mean the kid is 22! 6’11” with guard skills. And in a team that is rebuilding? I know Spurs culture and all, but that’s when we had the Big 3 to build around. We got nothing, and Spurs just let go a high ceiling prospect who they invested 2 years on?
    Sugus, this kid is 22, Poeltl is 25 and was the starting Center, got his extension and all, but came out last year from off-season unprepared. But don’t you think getting Zollins and Jock who can shoot from outside and have offensive skills is not lighting up Jak’s behind?
    I found it really funny that you tagged me only to immediately on Poeltl in a non-Poeltl-related post... Like, literally very funny, not offensive at all. Keep it up my guy, I'll defend my "golden giant" at all costs!

Having seen the play that everyone was talking about of Luka in that Magic game now.... I don't think there's a lot of mystery still as to why Luka was cut. The allure of Luka's ceiling, as you describe, remains as tantalizing as ever - it's just that the reality of his floor has settled in so firmly, that the Spurs no longer view the distance between his floor and ceiling as being "worth it" to invest in. I was definitely in the skeptic camp regarding Luka being cut, and was high on him too (admittedly not nearly as high on him last season as I was the first season he played in Austin, but I still thought he could carve a role out this season if he fought for his place).

And that's the issue at its core, isn't it? Everyone kept expecting Luka to "put out", show 110% effort to earn his place, and after all the talk, he just... Didn't. Not on the court, certainly (I still, and probably forever will, fault Pop for this, though). And after that ridiculously lackluster effort to stop a basic fastbreak, it kind of was the perfect straw to break the camel's back. Almost poetic, if you ask me.

Regarding Jakob (it's hilarious that you bring him up here, again), they're just not comparable at all lmfao. I know you and a certain portion of ST has this weird delusion that the guy has been coasting on being 7 feet tall ever since entering the league, doesn't work hard, etcetera... But that has at no point been the image of Jakob; his trainers don't speak of him like that, nor teammates, nor reporters, nor people that knew him before the NBA, literally nobody outside of ST. The guy had a bad (awful) FT shooting stretch, and that's pretty much it as far as "evidence". With Luka, even though it was hearsay, there were definitely confirmed sources, pre-draft red flags; there was always smoke where we now see fire. Not comparable at all.

Not to mention the obvious: it's far easier to justify a slow start to the season when you're already under contract and a starter on your team, vs a fringe 12-15th man trying to earn a spot in the league. Luka's time to prove it just ran out a bit sooner than we all expected it to, whilst Jakob has proved plenty already (and will hopefully prove further to haters () like you...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think earning PT is like a lifetime thing? Like buying a lifetime pass at the Golden Corral?
    lmao, no. said nothing of the kind. but earning more PT ought to translate to playing again in the month following comments by your coach that your good play had earned you more PT.

Don't be a pop apologist. it's not a good look. he ed Luka over. he's ed over other young players too. Luka obviously hashis own responsibility in this too but he looked like he had potential last yr and then hary saw the court again on a team that SUCKED BALLS. It's inexcusable from pop and you shouldn't be riding pops on this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Tony Parker would disagree with you, and I have never seen Pop harder on a young guy than he was TP.
    That don’t fly with current generation of Snowflakes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP with the solid early goods call, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's why TP is a future hall of famer that he could take it and still get better. most ppl don't have that mental toughness.

never forget what Timmy said about how hard pop rode him and how he thought hedcrack.

And I just think Luka had possibilities to be a plus player given the right coaching. he certainly was playing plus defense last year which used to be the key to earn more PT from pop but evidently that was not enough. meanwhile we have turnstiles on D in Bryn, Patty, DD earning praise from pop. there's simply no consistency with pop anymore and I for one am done with him. And I hate the way he treats the press. His shtick is old. His coaching and lineups are atrocious at times. I appreciate what he's done for us but it's time to go.

I'm hoping he gets the record and exits stage left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, SAGirl has been down on him for a long time and received such flack for her viewpoints. That was already established. If I ever do a h/t, I'll make sure to do an Oscar speech thanking everyone. I had no idea so many ppl actually cared. I just mentioned Dejounte cause he was bold as with his call last night and preemptive thread. If he doesn't get cut he gets flamed all year and thread gets pulled up etc. I know how it goes here. So I shouted him out. Then to find out everyone and their momma wants Spurstalkers to know they made the call that he "might" get cut years and months ago. I get that. Many seen the writing on the wall. Just thought it was cool af that DJ made that call like that. Some G as far as I'm concerned.

And to be very honest, DJ and me were scrapping it for a day or two and wanted to make amends. Just being transparent fwiw.
    This was hilarious Raybies thank you. Spurstalk is still good for a laugh here and there, although it used to have more memes lol. You get the award for funny spin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That don’t fly with current generation of Snowflakes
    Ofcourse not
    Tp was French
    He did not surrender !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whelp saw that coming. 2 sides to this story. First, it’s hard to be drafted in the US and then not be played at all in the NBA. I’m sure PATFO explained the plan to him, but moving all the way across the world and putting in the work and still not getting any playing time probably kills any motivation. Dude could get equal money and play a lot closer to home. And he would be used and get minutes for his actual team that’s paying him.

Other side of the coin. Dude was lazy and relied on his natural skills instead of putting in the work and having the right at ude to improve. He never really caught on and never filled out in his frame or really adjusted to NBA play. Dude has no idea how to play basketball, doesn’t grab boards, and doesn’t compete. Potential doesn’t mean if you don’t have any heart and this is a classic example.

Either way I’m glad he’s gone. Now let’s trade Derrick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw who is the guy that was lecturing me about how great this mother er is and how he shut down Randle and he will have a huge role on the team this season?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird drafting him. Disappointing he didn’t/wasn’t developed. Further evidence of piss poor asset management.

On the plus side, the Luka vs Brandon Clarke debate has now been settled.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we struck out with Luka almost guarantee that Walker will not be signed and White with his feet issues is not looking good. That leaves Keldon and Murray who are good semi starters on a good team it’s looking like really Dark Age has finally come for the Spurs. On a bright side I’ll watch more College ball to see who we pick in the first round.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    OP with the solid early goods call, tbh
    wrong it was sagirl & td 21 op stole credit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we struck out with Luka almost guarantee that Walker will not be signed and White with his feet issues is not looking good. That leaves Keldon and Murray who are good semi starters on a good team it’s looking like really Dark Age has finally come for the Spurs. On a bright side I’ll watch more College ball to see who we pick in the first round.
    yup. I'm no longer thinking they win 34 games I predicted a few weeks back. White's poor play is very concerning. and it is looking like Pop might not even get the wins he needs to break the record. no one to blame but himself for multiple foolish personnel, game management, lineup screw-ups over the past few years, imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 Plays that answered my question why Samanic does not get playing time. Giving up on the fastbreak play and him not fighting for the crucial rebound when he was clearly the tallest in the group...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will miss his dribble penetration, behind the back dribble which resulted to TO most of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sic Semper Saminich. Let's move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were right, my bad. LOLOL

He showed flashes of being really good.

Maybe he'll latch on somewhere and develop.
    He has the physical tools to be a NBA player, but it takes desire and mental toughness to be better than just a fringe player (looking like his possible outcome).

Maybe this is the kick in the ass that he'll need to make it in the league or he goes back to Europe where his physical gifts are more of an outlier.....

Wished it could've worked out in SA.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 10-12-2021 at 02:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ofcourse not
    Tp was French
    He did not surrender !

Thread Information