Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And honestly the weakness of the 2019 selections softened the blow on this bad pick.

Not crazy about Clarke but Pop would probably turn him into a beast. But Clarke still seems limited and Thybulle is even more raw.

I don't know, just not really feeling the sting on those guys though obviously would be nice to have Clarke instead of a waived pick rn.

Now if we lost keldon before 29 yeah this would really hurt in hindsight.

Vassell over Haliburton kills me much more.
    Wouldn't need Vassell if you had Thybulle.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And honestly the weakness of the 2019 selections softened the blow on this bad pick.

Not crazy about Clarke but Pop would probably turn him into a beast. But Clarke still seems limited and Thybulle is even more raw.

I don't know, just not really feeling the sting on those guys though obviously would be nice to have Clarke instead of a waived pick rn.

Now if we lost keldon before 29 yeah this would really hurt in hindsight.

Vassell over Haliburton kills me much more.
    I mean let's be real, if we flipped KJ for Luka, then everything is butter right now. You don't expect late firsts to always make it. We got KJ at 29 and history will most likely say he was a lottery pick. So I it's not a big deal all things considered. Hindsight is always 20/20. They wanted Luka and they took him there because they must of knew that he wouldn't be available later and they lucked in to KJ.

Also I'm not too big on Clarke or Thybulle. Nowadays if you are a one trick it's better for that to be offensively then defensively. Clarke and Thybulle are extremely limited offensively. Thy more so then Clarke.

With the Spurs track record it's bound to happen... KJ should more then make up for Luka in my eyes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle is nice but guys that play only one side of the court are going extinct. You can't be a non factor on offense and be that impactful in today's NBA unless you're playing with the Nets or something. I've lurked Philly boards plenty over the last few months and they aren't enamored with him as much as yall are I guarantee that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I remember when ppl were creaming over that one undersized big who GS took after the Spurs selected Derrick I believe. He out of the league now if I'm not mistaken. Can't even remember his name...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. , even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.
    Maybe he gave Pop the finger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah 1 game, after everything leading up to it in camp and with coaches and in locker room situations we never see, 1 game with knowing he had to earn his role because basketball is a business. Luka had his chances, way beyond the 1 game.

It's so much more than 1 game, there is a lot that goes into this and with Pop clearly picking guys with a unique valuation on off court attributes that definitely factors in.

But at a time when Pop tossed all the ball stoppers, seems to be embracing the youth movement, and not as beholden to name recognition despite Forbes return lol, I just feel like if Luka was in the cards Pop would be going with him. It's not like the system is pushing him out as much at this point though I'd concede that perhaps that old way stunted his growth in his first years which led to his current unimpressive skill level. But if the off court issues are even half as bad as his on court issues, I think front office made the right decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you pick thybulle instead of luka then you don't need vassell and pick Haliburton instead.

Hmmm thybulle and Haliburton vs waived luka and vassell. That is a great point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka has the physical tools, tbh. I don't think I blame the Spurs for drafting him from that perspective.

But...I don't like the Spurs taking long shots with high-ish draft picks. That's what upset me about Primo going where he did. Hopefully Primo is a future all-star for the Spurs long after Luka has faded into Spurs' lore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka has the physical tools, tbh. I don't think I blame the Spurs for drafting him from that perspective.

But...I don't like the Spurs taking long shots with high-ish draft picks. That's what upset me about Primo going where he did. Hopefully Primo is a future all-star for the Spurs long after Luka has faded into Spurs' lore.
    Nah Primo has ice in his veins. He’s not afraid to mix it and already getting very well with the other guys. And at that age? You just see the confidence on this kid. Luka is more of a loner. Too bad Manu didn’t get through him or we didn’t have a European player who could've taken him under his wing.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    ^ I remember when ppl were creaming over that one undersized big who GS took after the Spurs selected Derrick I believe. He out of the league now if I'm not mistaken. Can't even remember his name...
    Jordan Bell i too remember that and everyone was pissed that GS bought him for cash (from CHI i think?) and Spurs didnt. Turns out he sucked balls anyway

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan Bell i too remember that and everyone was pissed that GS bought him for cash (from CHI i think?) and Spurs didnt. Turns out he sucked balls anyway
    that sig

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's his name LUL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m surprised by his release. Samanic has clearly showed enough tools to be on this team but as others have said, this is more about his lack of drive to be a good NBA player. This is also a complete failure by the front office and another wasted first rounder. These red flags were known prior to his draft but the Spurs think they are smarter than everyone else. They need to emphasize mental toughness in their evaluation of players and find players with some grit & at ude.
    "no, we need players who get over themselves"

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Any word on any teams interested in him yet? surprised no one claimed him off of waivers since he's on a rookie deal and all of his "potential"

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally I’d say Dallas or Detroit will grab him, but not sure at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt we see him in nba. Prob has a euro team lined up. Spurs did him a solid and allowed him to go play where soft euro trash is highly sought after.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt anyone picks him off waivers. Teams will wait and then possibly sign him for a minimum type deal. What type of deal he signs next may show what other teams really think of him. Lets see what happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If no NBA team picks him up and he wants to stay stateside, I really hope he considers signing a two-way deal (I know this is wishful thinking, but he may not have a choice if no one claims him off waivers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what happened with Samanic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I’m just thinking of a post from months ago that showed Luka had way less playing time than his peers from that draft. I think character and work ethic was a big issue but it can’t be unique to Luka, either. Basically, hey, not a good player for us, but why the did they draft him then? Whatever negatives people throw at Luka is also a statement on our scouting and/or development.
    precisely. especially in a world where the Spurs are well under .500 and long out of the playoff hunt. it's inexcusable to me that he doesn't get minutes last year when his defensive effort was there for all of us to see. so much so that pop said Luka had earned more PT. then, sit the bench for a month in a wasted season.

that on top of the heavy minutes he gave Bryn 2 yrs ago forever ruined my pop fandom moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't drink wine and laugh at Pops jokes at the dinners.

No one knows for sure right now. Appears time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was put into the Orlando game in the last 4 minutes, with the game still in doubt, and literally stood and watched an Orlando fast break, rather than run back and contest. For the umpteenth time in two years, he showed that he just doesn’t GAF. It wasn’t just that one play. He’s been doing that since his first few games in Austin in 2019. It was, however, the last straw.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kai Jones - New York Knicks
    Saddiq Bey - Brooklyn Nets
    Luka Samanic - San Antonio Spurs
    Kevin Huerter - Atlanta Hawks
    John Collins - Atlanta Hawks
    Malik Beasley - Denver Nuggets
    Jerian Grant - Washington Wizards
    Gary Harris - Chicago Bulls
    Sergey Karasev - Cleveland Cavaliers
    Andrew Nicholson - Orlando Magic
    Tobias Harris - Charlotte Bobcats
    Avery Bradley - Boston Celtics
    Jeff Teague - Atlanta Hawks
    JJ Hickson - Cleveland Cavaliers
    Javaris Crittenton - Los Angeles Lakers
    Quincy Douby - Sacramento Kings
    Hakim Warrick - Memphis Grizzlies
    Dorell Wright - Miami Heat
    Sasha Pavlovic - Utah Jazz
    Ryan Humphrey - Utah Jazz
    Zach Randolph - Portland Trail Blazers
    Jamaal Magloire - Charlotte Hornets

---------------

more hits than i would have expected drafting #19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was put into the Orlando game in the last 4 minutes, with the game still in doubt, and literally stood and watched an Orlando fast break, rather than run back and contest.
    As you might expect a sniffy embellished account.
    But Luka did only chase the guy for a few steps then slowed in to a jog as he conceded the breakaway. Probably no way he was going to block the guy but still a very bad look.
    Here, see for yourself:
    6:52 - 6:58

another view
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/top-dunks-...004200954.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As you might expect a sniffy embellished account.
    But Luka did only chase the guy for a few steps then slowed in to a jog as he conceded the breakaway. Probably no way he was going to block the guy but still a very bad look.
    Here, see for yourself:
    6:52 - 6:58

another view
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/top-dunks-...004200954.html
    I know some downplay this sequence as what cut him. Obviously it didn't cut him -- he'd shown plenty of laziness and ineffectual play before -- but this is the sort of insta-cut play that's bizarre to see from a guy fighting for his career in the league. I don't think I've ever seen a player just give up like that. What if he caught up? What if the layup was muffed?

Samanic might have been dangling from a thread before this play, but it absolutely cut it. It's so bad, I'm not sure other teams will look at him for a while. Best he can do is go back to Europe and grow some maturity right quick.

Thread Information