Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The swiftness of his waiving has left SAGirl speechless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty stunned that a rebuilding team didn't stick with him.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have said right after we drafted him that he's a pick and an unprofessional piece of . Nice to see the got didnt change since he left Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its official

So, finally real news five pages in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record we aren’t going to hear about him being cut till the absolute deadline. I highly doubt there are any trades in the works but if there are Luka is either involved or gets a roster spot by default so long as the trade is net negative 2 bodies.
    haha he was waived as I typed this. Guess this is why i’ll never be an NBA analyst!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The swiftness of his waiving has left SAGirl speechless.
    Despite everyone falling all over themselves shouting "first!", SAG was among the first people speculating about Samanic's release. She did so back on 08/04 when reacting to the Aminu trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha he was waived as I typed this. Guess this is why i’ll never be an NBA analyst!!
    no worries. 99.9999% of us on this forum would suck as analysts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. , even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disappointed, but not surprised. Like many, had high hopes on him. Physical gifts were there, but not the mental game nor the heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks to whichever moderator updated the thread le!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this does not make a lot of sense unless things behind closed doors also happened. It does look like KBD is a better teammate and has more hustle to him, but Samanic has more tools. I guess the poor mental aspects overwhelmed the good and he was let loose.

I think for Samanic to bloom it would require a better championship caliber team, so I can see him blooming if the Nets or Clippers or Lakers came calling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not surprised, obviously. Samanic went on the chopping block after KBD was given a guaranteed deal. Giving KBD guaranteed money didn't make sense unless the Spurs were willing to cut Samanic or there was an impending trade. There was no trade so, yeah, Samanic had to prove himself worthy in order to make the team.

Samanic was a high ceiling, low floor prospect so this outcome was always a strong possibility. He needed to improve his work ethic, hustle and basketball IQ to become an NBA player ... and there was no proof that he improved any of those facets.

That said, I don't especially love the move. Even though he's still super raw, Samanic has a higher ceiling than someone like KBD. KBD at his best is like a solid 10th man. Samanic probably doesn't have a future in the NBA but his physical tools and youth keep the door open to him eventually figuring it out.

I would have preferred that the Spurs decline his fourth year option but keep him around for one more season to give him a real chance. , even if he continued to be clueless, he would have been an excellent end of the season tank commander

Cutting a halfway intriguing prospect that you've invested two years on before the first season he should have a clear opportunity to play? Eh, not enthused by the decision, IMO.
    Any chance they did this because he was pulling the same minimum effort bs in practice as well?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have said right after we drafted him that he's a pick and an unprofessional piece of . Nice to see the got didnt change since he left Europe.
    I’ve been ting on him since draft night. Still, the takeaway here is what a major up by the front office — another of many over the past few years

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this does not make a lot of sense unless things behind closed doors also happened. It does look like KBD is a better teammate and has more hustle to him, but Samanic has more tools. I guess the poor mental aspects overwhelmed the good and he was let loose.

I think for Samanic to bloom it would require a better championship caliber team, so I can see him blooming if the Nets or Clippers or Lakers came calling.
    i am 100% Samanic was a problem off the court, just as he was at Olimpija.. He's the kinda guy that thinks is better than everyone else, while in reality he's not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was never big on Luka but was impressed how much he bulked up. Cutting him was a very Spurs thing todo. I’m sure he will get a second chance elsewhere in the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be fun to dig out this thread by the end of the season when Samanic will still be in the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, the Clarke/Samanic debate is over, right?

Watch Brandon get waived out of nowhere...
    drewshow melting down somewhere right now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I am Philly I am trying to pick him up since Simmons wants out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the Spurs had kept him for this season over signing a handicapped Collins to a 1.5 yrs guaranteed deal. Oh well, he must be very bad in many aspects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was hoping to see him get a real chance this year but it is what it is... maybe he didn't deserve it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know what impact this has on it but someone was saying Zollins is bonding with the young Spurs a lot and if I recall, KBD is in a lot of the promotional photos put out by Spurs PR when they were doing community stuff. Sandwich, I don't recall seeing him in any of those promotional photos

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like him or hate him - one thing that really sucks is that he NEVER was given a chance

that is what bugs me and i hope i am wrong but some team will pick him up and he will make that team/coach look good if given a chance to play minutes

real minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the end, luka was the equivalent to a hyped movie that you want to like, and has a nice cast and interesting story, but as the movie goes on you keep asking yourself "when is this movie going to get any good?"

Thread Information