Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    Name
    Allan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

not a noodle soup -- after cooking the noodles you use some of the water to make a black bean sauce

not hot. more savory and sweet

addicting

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Those have kind of a weird aftertaste to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

not a noodle soup -- after cooking the noodles you use some of the water to make a black bean sauce

not hot. more savory and sweet

addicting
    I'll have to try those, I like everything I have ever had from Nongshim.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i never really tested the waters with these. almost always just stuck with the basic ass maruchan instant lunch chicken flavor noodles. though i dont think i've had any since law school. instant noodles were part of my final exam week regimen when i needed some all nighters. usually a combination of that, salted sunflower seeds, and those sugar filled starbucks frappucino drinks you can buy in glass bottles at markets

I know Cup of Noodles is the originator of instant ramen, but the only one I think is very good is the curry. Those are awesome for $1.25 a pop when I don't want to cook my own Japanese curry.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Instant ramen pro tips - throw an egg in your soup as it’s cooking, along with a few drops of sesame oil, then top it with some green onions & a sprinkle of gochugaru.
    My wife does egg, fried spam, green onions, peanuts and seasoning. It's damn good. I never was a noodle guy until she made them like that

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Those have kind of a weird aftertaste to me.
    That could be the sauce they include. I mixed it with the noodles the first time I made them and had to throw away the bowl. Skipped it the next time and loved the taste and been eating them without it every since.

I've tried their other flavors but blazing hot is the best, by far.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I know Cup of Noodles is the originator of instant ramen, but the only one I think is very good is the curry. Those are awesome for $1.25 a pop when I don't want to cook my own Japanese curry.

Do you like Vermont Curry?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Do you like Vermont Curry?
    Yeah it's pretty good but I like S&B a little more.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bleh. I have Top Ramen ptsd from my childhood. My mom was so nutty as soon as any of us got sick she put us on her strict medicinal regimen of Top Ramen and Tang lol. Those taste way worse coming up than going down. But oddly when I was pregnant NOTHING could satisfy the cravings like one of those cup noodles, the one with all the freeze dried veggies, mmmm. I don’t buy any of those for my house but I do keep them in my pantry for my sons (I let my kids “shop” from my supplies, they are welcome to take anything they want) so I’ll look for all the ones you guys mentioned.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Man, I sure wish these noodle dishes looked like the pictures on the boxes/packages lol. Reminds me of Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah it's pretty good but I like S&B a little more.
    I'll try that one out, my daughter loves Tonkatsu so we have been making it at home and having curry and rice on the side, thanks!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Instant ramen pro tips - throw an egg in your soup as it’s cooking, along with a few drops of sesame oil, then top it with some green onions & a sprinkle of gochugaru.
    Just tried this today. Thank you for making a positive change in my life.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Man, I sure wish these noodle dishes looked like the pictures on the boxes/packages lol. Reminds me of Michael Douglas in Falling Down
    GOAT movie

Growing up I noted D-fenz was a lot like me so I pretty much idolized and immortalized him and wanted to be like him when I was an adult.

What's this sorry, squashed thing, Rick? How come this picture shows a nice juicy burger instead of this miserable sorry thing? Tell me what's wrong with that picture...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'll try that one out, my daughter loves Tonkatsu so we have been making it at home and having curry and rice on the side, thanks!
    Kind of depends. Vermont Curry has a sweeter flavor I guess with the apple they put in it so if that's what you're after you'd probably like it better. I prefer S&B because they make an Extra Hot curry. It's not hot by any stretch, it's like Japanese hot, not Thai, Korean, or Chinese hot, but quite a bit ier than Vermont's hot.

Yeah I love tonkatsu too and have been cooking a ton of Japanese ever since the pandemic got here. Ask your daughter if tonkatsu is fish. If she studied her intro Japanese out of Genki she'll probably think that's funny. If not she'll look at you like you're re ed. Win-win either way lol.

EDIT: The 'is tonkatsu fish?' is from a listening practice in Genki I lol

https://www.colby.edu/old-lrc/vll/me...-12/K02-03.mp3
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-13-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Kind of depends. Vermont Curry has a sweeter flavor I guess with the apple they put in it so if that's what you're after you'd probably like it better. I prefer S&B because they make an Extra Hot curry. It's not hot by any stretch, it's like Japanese hot, not Thai, Korean, or Chinese hot, but quite a bit ier than Vermont's hot.

Yeah I love tonkatsu too and have been cooking a ton of Japanese ever since the pandemic got here. Ask your daughter if tonkatsu is fish. If she studied her intro Japanese out of Genki she'll probably think that's funny. If not she'll look at you like you're re ed. Win-win either way lol.

EDIT: The 'is tonkatsu fish?' is from a listening practice in Genki I lol

https://www.colby.edu/old-lrc/vll/me...-12/K02-03.mp3
    She's been taking Japanese since 7th grade and is currently a Junior, will be taking the AP test for it this Spring. I will ask her tomorrow

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    She's been taking Japanese since 7th grade and is currently a Junior, will be taking the AP test for it this Spring. I will ask her tomorrow
    Only thing I know in Japanese is "conichiwa" ( o), how to count to ten and beyond (ichi nee san yan go roku sichi hachi kyu jyu jyu-ichi etc.), boku/watashi wa anata oai e (I love you; depending on if you're a guy or a girl); & chi-chi na na (basically " off").

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Only thing I know in Japanese is "conichiwa" ( o), how to count to ten and beyond (ichi nee san yan go roku sichi hachi kyu jyu jyu-ichi etc.), boku/watashi wa anata oai e (I love you; depending on if you're a guy or a girl); & chi-chi na na (basically " off").
    'shine kazu' is probably a better way to tell someone to off where it's pronounced like shi-ne kazu. Literally means 'die, dreg' or 'die, bum.'

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    Lately I have really liked these Korean Samyang Buldak y chicken ramen noodles in the black bag. They're a little y but not overly so. There is also one in the red bag that is decently hot. Neither really tastes like chicken but they're kind of addictively sweet, though the red bag one is pretty dominated by the heat while the black bag one is better balanced.

I also really like the Cup of Noodles curry flavor. Most Cup of Noodles are pretty but that one is pretty decent for a three minute curry.
    Buldak and curry Cup Noodles are also my favorite. Always knew you were a man of great taste, BB.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    'shine kazu' is probably a better way to tell someone to off where it's pronounced like shi-ne kazu. Literally means 'die, dreg' or 'die, bum.'
    awesome

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The egg tip is solid, try running it through a fork to create more of a egg drop texture and distribution.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Buldak and curry Cup Noodles are also my favorite. Always knew you were a man of great taste, BB.
    You have a favorite curry brick? Been meaning to try Java Curry but that one seems to be a pain to find so I always end up using either S&B or Vermont.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    You have a favorite curry brick? Been meaning to try Java Curry but that one seems to be a pain to find so I always end up using either S&B or Vermont.
    Vermont has always been my go-to. Not the best but it works, and you can find it anywhere. I usually have to look around for the hot one though. Golden curry isn't bad either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Anyone had the Nongshim Tonkotsu? That is terrible. I don't expect it to taste like if I made it from scratch or anything, but it doesn't even taste like pork despite it advertising itself as a pork bone broth on the package. Ugh some time when we get a big cold front blow in I'm going to make some tonkotsu from scratch. Don't want to do it when it's not cold outside though since it requires having pork bones in a rolling boil for 8 hours. Figured it would be good given how awesome Nongshim's Shin Ramyun Red and Neoguri are but terrible, only good thing in the Nongshim Tonkotsu is the black garlic oil.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-21-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Thread Information