16 50.00%
  • Other (explain in comments)

9 28.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watched him a couple of times and his fit in this team hasn't looked good. Maybe there's lack of chemistry or this goes deeper.

Is he just lacking chemistry with others? Washed up? Is he a small ball center? Can he play the 4? In what lineups?

Finally, do you see him getting traded? Bc I only see that if the Spurs are buyers (kinda like Chicago was). By himself he doesn't look worth trading for. He's in a pricey contract, expensive for a bench big that's just blending in, is getting old and will also be a free agent. Maybe as an expiring, but combining the Spurs avoidance of trades in general with the lack of many trades like these occurring recently, I see a midseason waived as the higher possibility.

Anyone have opinions on him. Hot takes? Cold measured, careful takes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voted other. I think he's depressed about being traded to SA and isn't a bit motivated to play here. We'll face the same situation if Simmons is traded here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he certainly gets traded. He hasn't looked good but I think its lack of rhythm and rust. He brings a lot of intangibles to the game, the guy averaged 12-6-4-1-0.6 last year in 24 MPG. He'll contribute anywhere he goes even if it's here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it Thad Carroll or DeMarre Young?
    Brilliant move by poop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to look at the difference between his first and second years in Chicago before they worry about him. Thad is going to take work to get him to play his best. The Spurs should be asking themselves if they're okay with putting in that work. If they're not, they should trade him now. If they are, then it reduces the likelihood that they move him at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other. Not invested in team, knowing he will be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's because he knows that the Spurs are likely only a temporary situation and that he is likely to get traded. Once he is off the block I think he would find his place on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's because he knows that the Spurs are likely only a temporary situation and that he is likely to get traded. Once he is off the block I think he would find his place on this team.
    agreed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he's washed up-- he just finished one of the most productive years of his career a few months ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't fit the timeline for the Spurs. He's 33 now, and barring a major surprise trade, the Spurs are more than two years away from contending. I'm sure Milwaukee would love to add him. He could become much more valuable as trade bait if, as the season progresses, any starting bigs get injured for either L.A. team, Brooklyn, Miami, Golden State, Phoenix, etc...
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 10-15-2021 at 03:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is shaking off rust and adjusting to a new team with new schemes. I have no problem with keeping him or trading him.

On the keeping him side of the ledger, I think it is good to have a veteran with a good at ude with this young bunch.

On the trading him side of the ledger, he may fill a slot until they know if Zollins will be playing before the trade deadline. If Zollins makes it back, Thad may be shipped to a contender, if not, he is a body with NBA experience who's contract runs out at the end of the season.

Formerly Spurs21
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awkward fit. Still believe he has something left in the tank but he doesnít not fit the current timeline and he really canít play play alongside Jak. Iím skeptical he could garner a first on his own hopefully we donít buy him out and actually get something in return.
    Last edited by KingKev; 10-16-2021 at 05:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Declining but as good as Rudy Gay 2018-2019.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's older and hasn't played really since what, May? Give him some time to get in shape and find his groove. Too many preseason overreactions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    young is trying to be a pro about his situation but it's clearly been a struggle for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, if Thad has one foot in the grave, they may want to grab that Phoenix offer before it's too late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, if Thad has one foot in the grave, they may want to grab that Phoenix offer before it's too late.
    If the Spurs want Smith, the offer might make sense. If they don't, then it's a negative offer. Literally releasing Thad would be better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know if they know what they’re doing with Thad. More cynically, what can they do to weaken his value—that will be our approach with Thad. Hopefully I’m wrong. But they likely see him as insurance policy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks to everyone that's responded.. It seems he's out of the rotation... I can't say he played well enough to beat Drew for m minutes. It sucks for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel that they took him to include in a trade package that has not materialized. Just take Suns offer and be done with it, instead of waiving for nothing. Or has that ship
    sailed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel that they took him to include in a trade package that has not materialized. Just take Suns offer and be done with it, instead of waiving for nothing. Or has that ship
    sailed?
    There is no injured reserve list in the NBA. If we take the Suns offer, we essentially lose a roster spot because Saric is out for the year, and will be on the 15 man roster.

The Suns gave Jalen Smith the 4th most minutes on the team this preseason, and the only team top 5 he could crack was blocks with 0.5, tied with PG Elfrid Payton. He just doesn’t do anything but stand there being tall. He doesn’t score. He doesn’t rebound. He doesn’t create defensive events.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks to everyone that's responded.. It seems he's out of the rotation... I can't say he played well enough to beat Drew for m minutes. It sucks for him.
    It's lovely to be Thad Young. He's going to get paid $14 M this year whether he can play or not.

It is not lovely for the Spurs. That's the problem. It's a roster spot and 14 M for a player the Spurs don't seem to need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a betting man, the odds on favorite action has to be a buy out. We all know the Spurs love saving money and right now it doesn't' seem as though there is a 1st rounder out there for Thad. I do believe they'd rather save money on his contract than trade him for seconds. He's a positive player, but if you play a specific way around him. Are the Spurs willing to make him the small ball 5? It sure doesn't look like it as Eubanks has held that role all preseason. As the season goes on does his value go up or go down? Probably down as he's not going to contribute much on this team it seems like. When he's out there he definitely seems like one of the smarter passing/positional players on the team, but he's not likely to be a difference maker for this team in almost any scenario so I can see why the Spurs would prefer to give minutes to Eubanks.

He is a good piece to keep around for trade purposes, though, so I doubt anything happens on him in the near term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m puzzled about the whole Thad young situation lol last night was basically the dress rehearsal for the regular season and he doesn’t play one minute!? That has to point to a trade I would think especially since when he’s out there on the court you can tell he doesn’t have any chemistry with the team yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly heís a trade in waiting. Probably messes with your head

Formerly Spurs21
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a betting man, the odds on favorite action has to be a buy out. We all know the Spurs love saving money and right now it doesn't' seem as though there is a 1st rounder out there for Thad. I do believe they'd rather save money on his contract than trade him for seconds. He's a positive player, but if you play a specific way around him. Are the Spurs willing to make him the small ball 5? It sure doesn't look like it as Eubanks has held that role all preseason. As the season goes on does his value go up or go down? Probably down as he's not going to contribute much on this team it seems like. When he's out there he definitely seems like one of the smarter passing/positional players on the team, but he's not likely to be a difference maker for this team in almost any scenario so I can see why the Spurs would prefer to give minutes to Eubanks.

He is a good piece to keep around for trade purposes, though, so I doubt anything happens on him in the near term.
    I’m with you. Come trade deadline if we can’t get something for him which unless he is part of a bigger trade I suspect is the case the Spurs will work with him on a buyout. His contract is atleast easier to move than Aldridge last year but for better or worse we operate much differently than most of the league. If Thad plays nice and is patient he will end up on a contender via buyout and will probably come out even financially with the Spurs get left holding their d!cks in a classy way! I see that as a 50/50 possibility. I’m all for showcasing him aa the 6th or 7th guy off the bench for the first few months to at least get his value up.

Thread Information