Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Havent watched the past games and I know it's too early to tell........

But is it something to look forward this season?

There were times shots dont fall these past seasons, but the team's def was mediocre at best, hence the team not being a contender these past seasons..........

Can only watch highlights now and cant judge how they handle teams.....................

But do you guys think the team can be better this season than last? DJ, Vassell, Poeltl can be top caliber defenders when locked in. Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's bound to be better thanks to addition by subtraction. Instead of DeRozan, Gay, and Mills soaking up heavy minutes, we have a stable of young athletic players to mix and match, and are deep enough to swap guys out regularly so they can defend with intensity and not lose their legs.

Murray, White, Vassell, and Poeltl are all plus defenders. Eubanks has come a long ways protecting the paint.

The largest concerns are probably McD and Forbes, obviously. Both rank in the bottom of the league in advanced defensive stats, and both figure to have a prominent role. Hopefully we don't see both on the court incredibly often so there will be enough help around them to hide them on that end.

The real wild card is Walker. He has all the tools to be a good defender, and yet he struggles constantly in that regard and is actually not ranked far from Forbes. Not sure if it's just a matter of misunderstanding or if he is simply not giving the effort consistently, but a lot will be riding on him this season to prove himself.

I think last night was a good example of how the team can not only create havoc on defense with lots of switching and hounding passing lanes, and then funnel that into scoring opportunities in transition. Obviously, that was against a hapless Rockets team, but that could be their best strategy for this season.
    Last edited by Dex; 10-16-2021 at 10:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There were times shots dont fall these past seasons, but the team's def was mediocre at best, hence the team not being a contender these past seasons..........

Can only watch highlights now and cant judge how they handle teams.....................

But do you guys think the team can be better this season than last? DJ, Vassell, Poeltl can be top caliber defenders when locked in. Thoughts?
    It’s addition by subtraction without Demar, Gay and Aldridge this year. Patty at least takes charges. All 5 players can now switch and guard perimeters. Yes Spurs defense improved considerably. I think we know what we could expect from DJ, White, Poeltl. But the one that sticks out for me is Vassell. He is getting comfortable out there and learning his position. He is long and agile and can guard 4 positions, including small-ball PF. Not comparing to Kawhi, but I feel Devin is our next lockdown defender. Another one is Primo. Sure he is playing limited minutes, but I think in due time, he will get more burn. He is long and not afraid to make contact (that charge from Derek during the scrimmage that sent him flying was nice to know what’s next to come). McDermott is a bit overmatched but he has tenacity and physicality that a few of us expected from him. Drew is asserting himself more and more. So yes I think Spurs defense improved a lot, and I think Pop will be demanding from them. For all the 33 years I’ve watched the Spurs, I always see them pride on their defense, except the last 2-3 years. I welcome back that defense that’s very much a part of Spurs mantra.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had an opportunity to get a lot better by moving on from Derozan but we replaced his spot in the lineup with McBuckets so i don’t know that it’s much better. But if Vassell can improve at all and earn 20+ minutes, there’s room for the D to be quite good.

i disagree that losing Gay helps the defense. Always thought he held his own honestly. I liked Spurs rudy quite a bit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still see 2 glaring weakness, defensive rebound and 3 point defence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had an opportunity to get a lot better by moving on from Derozan but we replaced his spot in the lineup with McBuckets so i don’t know that it’s much better. But if Vassell can improve at all and earn 20+ minutes, there’s room for the D to be quite good.

i disagree that losing Gay helps the defense. Always thought he held his own honestly. I liked Spurs rudy quite a bit
    Agree about McDermott but he probably won't be logging the heavy minutes DDR did, and may only be on the floor in crunch time if the Spurs really need a three.

With DeRozan, you knew what you were gonna get for about 34 mins a game and he was always going to be the closer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Gay gave good effort and was better in the post than I expected (thanks to his length), but his lateral quickness was shot. He simply couldn't defend the perimeter anymore.

That said, he was like 60 years old and coming off an Achilles injury. Lonnie is a young buck and still acts like a turnstile out there.

On the same note, Forbes too often gets happy feet and actually seems to actively jump out of his assignments way to give him a lane. That strategy may have made sense when we had Robinson and Duncan waiting to gobble up blocks, but those days are long gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is usually OK until he has to rotate. He misplays 50% of first rotations, and still hasn’t successfully performed a second rotation in 3 seasons. It’s a matter of awareness, not physical gifts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In the short term the answer is NO - This team will struggle to win games but in the long term this will help our team greatly and the answer would be YES. I think this year will be the beginning of the foundation being laid we are truly going to see what each players bring to the table strength and weaknesses which will help us in draft and acquiring free agents in the future. Plus adding a top 8 draft pick will hopefully give a jolt of talent to our team.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still see 2 glaring weakness, defensive rebound and 3 point defence.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Its improved a little each game but it is a glaring flaw.

Throughout the entire preseason the biggest flaws with this roster is boxing out for rebounds. Through a majority of the games players just stand a stare at shots fired instead of positioning. Other times it was due to size mismatches with the lineup on the floor getting manhandled underneath.

3 point defense really is players needing to be quicker on the close out and let the defense collapse the lane if the defender has to back pedal when the shooter dribbles and penetrates. Often times they hesitate and then attempt a lazy close out when the shooter is a 1/3 of the way into their shot.

Other aspects of the spurs offense has improved slightly each game throughout preseason. This is mostly due to new additions adjusting to teammates that have been here a while i.e. White/Murray/Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still feel we need some height and youth at PF. Would like to see them test Harry Giles who was just waived. Still think he can shine if given the chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This pretty much sums it up.

Its improved a little each game but it is a glaring flaw.

Throughout the entire preseason the biggest flaws with this roster is boxing out for rebounds. Through a majority of the games players just stand a stare at shots fired instead of positioning. Other times it was due to size mismatches with the lineup on the floor getting manhandled underneath.

3 point defense really is players needing to be quicker on the close out and let the defense collapse the lane if the defender has to back pedal when the shooter dribbles and penetrates. Often times they hesitate and then attempt a lazy close out when the shooter is a 1/3 of the way into their shot.

Other aspects of the spurs offense has improved slightly each game throughout preseason. This is mostly due to new additions adjusting to teammates that have been here a while i.e. White/Murray/Poeltl.
    Sounds like someone like Ben Simmons would really anchor the defense and solve a lot of those issues...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes, Dougie McNoD, Lonnie and Keldon are bad defenders. Plus Spurs are a weak rebounding team.
    Gonna be a long year. Good pick though prolly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still feel we need some height and youth at PF. Would like to see them test Harry Giles who was just waived. Still think he can shine if given the chance.
    LOL. He ing failed in Sacramento, and they literally have no bar to clear to get playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ball stoppers are gone and now you can see how it was a vicious cycle of ball hogging for 22 seconds, chuck some low percentage garbage, long rebound to opponent, fast break, open 3 on the other end.

Bad offense led to bad defense, and after getting to take enough breaks during possessions the other team conserves energy for offense, and establishes a rhythm sooner.

I noticed that now, we move the ball on offense so much, the opponent is exhausted more during their own offensive possessions, and they miss more.

It's early to say and preseason is a bad judgment of regular season potential, but I think losing the vets made us better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like someone like Ben Simmons would really anchor the defense and solve a lot of those issues...
    I am not a fan of Ben Simmons and although he has certain aspects to his game that would be ideal. He is mentally weak for an NBA player an the spurs front office shouldn't hamstring themselves with a questionable iden y in the locker room or on the court.

Spurs are a good position salary cap and with picks you just have to ride out each season and hope a bit of luck an opportunity that suits them better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not a fan of Ben Simmons and although he has certain aspects to his game that would be ideal. He is mentally weak for an NBA player an the spurs front office shouldn't hamstring themselves with a questionable iden y in the locker room or on the court.

Spurs are a good position salary cap and with picks you just have to ride out each season and hope a bit of luck an opportunity that suits them better.
    I'm not sure if any DPOY candidate is mentally weak. Was Leonard mentally weak when he quit on our team? Was Kobe when he quit in the playoffs taking one shot in an half of an elimination game? Simmons was thrown under the bus by his team mate and coach. His game isn't been used correctly in the sixers. And the whole league knows this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. Aminu still there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. Aminu still there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure if any DPOY candidate is mentally weak. Was Leonard mentally weak when he quit on our team? Was Kobe when he quit in the playoffs taking one shot in an half of an elimination game? Simmons was thrown under the bus by his team mate and coach. His game isn't been used correctly in the sixers. And the whole league knows this.
    Nah he is pretty mentally weak. It’s not that he quit on his team. It’s that the dude is afraid to shoot the ball. Say what you want about Kobe and Kawhi but they aren’t afraid to shoot the ball. I mean you could give the guy a wide open dunk in the playoffs or a wide open 15 footer and the result is him not shooting and passing to somebody else

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s afraid to look bad. Sort of the anti-Manu. It’s not a good trait. Yet, for the right trade package I’d still consider it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah he is pretty mentally weak. It’s not that he quit on his team. It’s that the dude is afraid to shoot the ball. Say what you want about Kobe and Kawhi but they aren’t afraid to shoot the ball. I mean you could give the guy a wide open dunk in the playoffs or a wide open 15 footer and the result is him not shooting and passing to somebody else
    https://www.complex.com/sports/2014/...7-against-suns

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    despite what forbes haters say he is a genuinely good defender.......the narrative that he isnt was started because fans were afraid of blamig lma/deroza/gay who would all literally stand still & give a 3 point shooter all the time in the world to tee up a shot without even attempting to close out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is mentally weak. He is maxed out in his tier and is under contract and is pulling primadonna antics because people are expecting more from him.
    The conversation of people around him thinking the same thing everyone else is thinking doesn't get Ben responding with being triggered to hit the gym and get better he instead shuts down and crumples and makes excuses about not wanting to go to work at a place he doesn't like anymore.

That is baby weak right there. er makes more in one game than majority make in a year. When your critics speak out you answer back with words and on the court.

Strong willed dude I guess all things considered, es out and demands a trade this is his response.

Thread Information