Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I have no idea why Rice still plays football.
    I don't know why they're FBS, but it's cool being in the same group with them and some of the others without being a total joke academically.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    $

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Damn man. This is one of those rare, special seasons. Have to start savoring it more. Don't want to get ahead of myself but there's a very very realistic shot at running the table.

Post Count
    UTSA might just leapfrog SMU in the rankings with this win. LA Tech nearly beat SMU but lost badly to UTSA.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Rice has all the resources to be the Stanford of the south. They just have to want it. They've been content with just being one of those elite academic universities that has a smug approach to athletics. Even then, they have 1 CUSA football le and a couple solid seasons under their belt this past decade.

From my understanding, part of their pitch to the AAC was that they would invest/place more importance on athletics. If they follow through on that they can make some noise, imo.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    charlie strong knows coaching talent........traylor is a strong product

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    UTSA looked absolutely rock solid.
    Very few mistakes, a dynamic running back, and a very disciplined defense.
    It appears they are getting very good coaching. Cant lose them.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Rice has all the resources to be the Stanford of the south. They just have to want it. They've been content with just being one of those elite academic universities that has a smug approach to athletics. Even then, they have 1 CUSA football le and a couple solid seasons under their belt this past decade.

From my understanding, part of their pitch to the AAC was that they would invest/place more importance on athletics. If they follow through on that they can make some noise, imo.
    This bolded is nonsense.
    They have a small student body in HOUSTON.
    And they have no real graduate program, horrible comparison.
    What they do have is a very good undergraduate program.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    This bolded is nonsense.
    They have a small student body in HOUSTON.
    And they have no real graduate program, horrible comparison.
    What they do have is a very good undergraduate program.
    They have deep pockets.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    UTSA moved up one spot in the AP poll to #23 and three spots in the USA Today coaches poll to #22. Seems like they'll finish around there if they win out; maybe they'll pick up a spot if San Diego State takes an L. An Independence Bowl berth against BYU looks like the best case scenario if they take care of business in a conference championship.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    They have deep pockets.
    NOT even close to Stanford.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    UTSA looked absolutely rock solid.
    Very few mistakes, a dynamic running back, and a very disciplined defense.
    It appears they are getting very good coaching. Cant lose them.
    and they have a certain swagger about them now, like they expect to win. they are really playing at a high level right now.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    NOT even close to Stanford.
    Definitely deep enough that noone should be questioning why they field a team or are FBS. They just have to want it.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It would be a total Hocutt move to shy away from anyone that's ever worked with Leach ( s) but that would be the perfect hire at this point in time for Tech.

The thing I really like to see on Traylor's resume is that big 12 recruiter of the year award back in 2016...

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    It would be a total Hocutt move to shy away from anyone that's ever worked with Leach ( s) but that would be the perfect hire at this point in time for Tech.

The thing I really like to see on Traylor's resume is that big 12 recruiter of the year award back in 2016...
    Is Tech that big a jump from SMU at this point though? Especially if SMU gets a Big 12 call-up in the near future. And until then, everything seems to be set up for SMU to be a consistent Top 25 team that's dominant in the AAC. I also expect they'd give him a considerable raise (we know they have the money) if it meant retaining him. s is in a really good situation there. Would not be surprised if he says no.

As for Traylor, it took a lot for him to leave Gilmer. He's also mentioned that he had other G5 job offers but wanted a place he believed could be successful. So he seems selective and I think he would get looks from blue bloods with a few more successful seasons under his belt. OTOH, look at Seth Littrell at UNT. Was a hot commodity a few years ago, turned down KState and now he's on the hot seat. Things can turn pretty quickly for a G5 coach. Hope we can keep him but understand if he takes the Tech job if offered.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Is Tech that big a jump from SMU at this point though? Especially if SMU gets a Big 12 call-up in the near future. And until then, everything seems to be set up for SMU to be a consistent Top 25 team that's dominant in the AAC. I also expect they'd give him a considerable raise (we know they have the money) if it meant retaining him. s is in a really good situation there. Would not be surprised if he says no.

As for Traylor, it took a lot for him to leave Gilmer. He's also mentioned that he had other G5 job offers but wanted a place he believed could be successful. So he seems selective and I think he would get looks from blue bloods with a few more successful seasons under his belt. OTOH, look at Seth Littrell at UNT. Was a hot commodity a few years ago, turned down KState and now he's on the hot seat. Things can turn pretty quickly for a G5 coach. Hope we can keep him but understand if he takes the Tech job if offered.
    Yeah I would say so.
    Its a much larger school with a much larger following.
    Are there any other assistants at UTSA that were valuable as recruiters AND really good Coaches?
    Traylor did not do it all on his own. However it would be really nice if something more than $ now kept him at UTSA.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

s would definitely have the job at SMU as long as he wants it but he would basically double his salary at Tech right off the bat. He also knows Tech and West Texas inside and out. If they offer I think he takes it without much thought.

I'm just not sure Tech offers him. Kirby Hocutt went way off script with this stupid Wells hire, I'm not sure he doesn't do it again.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    s would definitely have the job at SMU as long as he wants it but he would basically double his salary at Tech right off the bat. He also knows Tech and West Texas inside and out. If they offer I think he takes it without much thought.

I'm just not sure Tech offers him. Kirby Hocutt went way off script with this stupid Wells hire, I'm not sure he doesn't do it again.
    how much influence does the Tech alumni base have?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    how much influence does the Tech alumni base have?
    Aside from social media, surprisingly very little

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Aside from social media, surprisingly very little
    that is surprising considering how many there are.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    if we get poached by Lubbock. Wish we could enjoy the season before having the anxiety set in, but that's life in the G5.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    if we get poached by Lubbock. Wish we could enjoy the season before having the anxiety set in, but that's life in the G5.
    Well we got poached by Austin in basketball so there's that.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    That's my coach

Post Count
    If I were a power 5 conference AD looking for a new coach my only concern about Traylor's performance is that he really isn't winning with HIS players yet. These are players recruited by Wilson. How well does Traylor actually recruit is the question. Wilson was supposedly a good recruiter but poor coach.

Thread Information