Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    how much influence does the Tech alumni base have?

Search Committee Suggests a Power Shift in Texas Tech Athletic Department
    by Joe Yeager
    11 hours ago
    Perhaps even more interesting than Kirby Hocutt’s decision to, as the gentle euphemism goes, “relieve” coach Matt Wells “of his duties,” is his method of conducting a search for Wells’ successor. We all recall that, after firing Kliff Kingsbury, Hocutt went all Pale Rider in the succeeding hiring process, singlehandedly plucking the obscure Matt Wells from the wild blue yonder and installing him as Texas Tech’s new football coach. Hocutt himself confirmed that he alone was responsible for hiring Wells....."

https://247sports.com/college/texas-...lls-173945203/

Just to give a little perspective

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    That's my coach

Post Count
    That's my quarterback.

Post Count
    Baseball is next from what I read after the opening of the RACE facility. Then basketball arena. The Dome still has a lot of good use left. The city is still pumping money into it.
    The Alamodome is hosting the 2025 Men's Final Four so there will probably be even more money pumped into it shortly. UTSA may as well take advantage.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

Post Count
    I know so little about Tech that I didn't realize Sonny s' father was a former Tech head coach. That connection might be something that influences Tech to pick him. UTSA fans should hope so, LOL.

But to be real about it, either coach would be an upgrade over the one they just fired.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I know so little about Tech that I didn't realize Sonny s' father was a former Tech head coach. That connection might be something that influences Tech to pick him. UTSA fans should hope so, LOL.

But to be real about it, either coach would be an upgrade over the one they just fired.
    s also was an assistant under Leach. If we can get him, I think it's a no brained.

I like the utsa coach but just not enough experience

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Would Tech give Briles a second chance? Most universities are too woke but is west Texas crazy enough to do it? He'd be perfect if you ignore his baggage.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Would Tech give Briles a second chance? Most universities are too woke but is west Texas crazy enough to do it? He'd be perfect if you ignore his baggage.
    Too big a gamble, imo. If he doesn't pay off, the AD can go ahead and pack his bags too.

Post Count
    Too big a gamble, imo. If he doesn't pay off, the AD can go ahead and pack his bags too.
    If the current AD gets another football coaching hire wrong ( who is not Briles but doesn't win), isn't he in trouble anyway? I wouldn't risk it with Briles regardless.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If the current AD gets another football coaching hire wrong ( who is not Briles but doesn't win), isn't he in trouble anyway? I wouldn't risk it with Briles regardless.
    Kirby has been lights out picking coaches in every other sport except football, ie track, baseball and basketball.

He's using a committee this time that includes one rich donor vs the rogue solo effort from last hire, so as long as it's a safe pick that agrees with the fan base, I think he can still weather another failed coaching hire.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    s also was an assistant under Leach. If we can get him, I think it's a no brained.

I like the utsa coach but just not enough experience

I sure in the hope Tech does believe Traylor is to green. Leave our Mawfuhkin coach alone.

Post Count

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    This is big boy . Not many G5 programs out there can do this. Clear message that the city (heard the Butt family is involved) and the administration wants to be a G5 power. UTSA is here to stay, boys.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    This is big boy . Not many G5 programs out there can do this. Clear message that the city (heard the Butt family is involved) and the administration wants to be a G5 power. UTSA is here to stay, boys.

That's pretty awesome, tbh. Nice work UTSA.

Post Count

He's needs to step up the recruiting because he is still winning with the previous coach's recruits but he's a terrific fit for UTSA. Very impressive that they were able to find the resources to get this done.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    That's pretty awesome, tbh. Nice work UTSA.
    Go get, Sonny. Soften up SMU for us when we join the AAC.

Although TCU just parted ways with Patterson so y'all got compe ion now.

He's needs to step up the recruiting because he is still winning with the previous coach's recruits but he's a terrific fit for UTSA. Very impressive that they were able to find the resources to get this done.
    No worries there. Players coach. Still reps the THSCA, has the best relationship with them out of any FBS head coach in Texas. He's basically now what Rule was to the THSCA before he left for the NFL.

He'll recruit even better than Wilson, imo.

Post Count
    No worries there. Players coach. Still reps the THSCA, has the best relationship with them out of any FBS head coach in Texas. He's basically now what Rule was to the THSCA before he left for the NFL.

He'll recruit even better than Wilson, imo.
    He's losing a lot of important seniors after this season and next year's recruiting class is pretty "meh" right now. I think he has potential to be a great recruiter but he's got some work to do.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    He's losing a lot of important seniors after this season and next year's recruiting class is pretty "meh" right now. I think he has potential to be a great recruiter but he's got some work to do.
    We only lose super seniors. True seniors (i.e. Frank Harris) still have another year since the NCAA decided not to count last year towards eligibility because of covid.

That's why the 2022 class is small and drops us in the recruiting rankings (since it's ulative). The average rating of recruits isn't any worse than previous years, there's just less recruits to make room for those seniors coming back for another year.

Post Count
    We only lose super seniors. True seniors (i.e. Frank Harris) still have another year since the NCAA decided not to count last year towards eligibility because of covid.

That's why the 2022 class is small and drops us in the recruiting rankings (since it's ulative). The average rating of recruits isn't any worse than previous years, there's just less recruits to make room for those seniors coming back for another year.
    Is Frank Harris coming back? He redshirted his freshman year, that would make him a 6th year player next season,

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    youre talking about a coach who out recruited aggy for a 5* player while aggy was filming a fooking do entary about said player because he was a heavy aggy lean..........

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Is Frank Harris coming back? He redshirted his freshman year, that would make him a 6th year player next season,
    He's coming back. Next year will be his "super senior" year.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    moving up that much after a bye week is ridiculous

Thread Information