Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See any pets slowing down the process?
    Me neither, other then Forbes stealing minutes from Primo.

Sniffers giving Pop credit for pulling Bryn Bryn as if it's some accomplishment.
    I guess when the bar is soo low...

Yes please stay out of the way Grandpa Control Freak.
    This is what we've been wanting to see for 3 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    waiting for the Spurs to tank for 2+ years now

For years now you’ve spread your loser mentality just waiting and waiting until the going gets good. Basically, you want to have your cake and eat it too

just shut the up already
    I took it as him saying the Magic were tanking and would set the record for most losses not the Spurs....maybe I'm misreading it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop-so far-sticking to his guns about giving the young guns their shot.

not sure who will be worse this year-rockets, magic or thunder.

lonnie wasn't very efficient but at least he wasn't gun shy and i'd rather he stays aggressive.

i'm hoping devin evolves into the spurs version of khris middleton.

primo also had two "hockey assists".

the current HEB TV ads roster has some work to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. What a way to start the season. The guys did not disappoint.

I was looking for Lonnie to breakout, and he wasn’t bashful. Not getting the extension did not put him down, but seemed to still enjoy playing out there, rooting gor his teammates. I really like this kid. I’ll root for this guy everytime. I think he deserves a better grade than B.

Vassell is another guy I’m especially rooting for. He’s just fluid out there, both sides of the court. His length and attention to defense will really make him a special player. I admit he looks more natural out there than Lonnie at his 2nd year. Just a smooth player. If both him and Lonnie keep shooting the 3 straight, Bryn would never sniff minutes lest it’s garbage time

McD does not disappoint. Just great signup, and again the main reason Bryn is not in the SL

Tre deserves a grade. I think he’s real solid as a backup PG, granted it was garbage time. But he’s another player that just so poised and collected. You just know he’ll find people, and even more, now he’s an offensive threat and seems to have successfully adjusted to NBA compe ion. Great find at 42.

Drew continues to play good basketball. His confidence out there has really skyrocketed, and I think he will just continue getting better. He reminds me of Bayne, just hard working and always giving his 100%. Great kid.

I’m happy for Derek having a good game. His shots were falling, he continued to move and always finding people. Derek needs to have great games like this to build his confidence back. He’s another smooth operator out there. But him, I think I like to see a little more selfish at getting his own, which should just put more pressure on the opposing team and opens our shooters more.

KJ, I like his energy as always. His dunk seemed to have finally awaken the guys from a slow start. He’s a player whose will will always try to rally the group. I’m also rooting for him to get his mid-game going. I think he’s the X-factor for this team. If he can expand his game, this becomes a playoff team.

Poeltl I was happy he got a great game, close to having a triple-double with 7 assists. He’s another one who also needs to continue having great game, and embrace that leadership role, of setting an example for everyone, especially defensively. He is our prime defensive player and should anchor that role, similar to what Timmy did, yes that’s my expectation from him. He needs to protect the rim, control those rebounds, and just a defensive stalwart. If he plays that defensive leadership, I’d be his number one fan. Scoring 10-12 would be great too, but specially more as a defensive leader of the team.

DJ, I like his intensity as always. I really think he has embraced the head-of-the-snake role of the team, and deservingly so. He kept the fast pace attack tempo, which is key to this team. We don’t really have a dominant iso player, so it would take a committee as always, keep the transition offense at attack mode. I hated when Demar would walk the half-court after getting a great rebound. Lonnie did that also last year. This team needs to run, run, run. And that’s DJ’s primary responsibility as the main ballhandler of the team.

Finally, Bryn. As much as I hate anyone not having a good game, it somewhat allowed Pop to lean on Lonnie and Vassell more, whose physicality are greatly needed. If Pop could continue giving him spot up minutes and nothing more, no ball handling, just pure spot shooter would be great.

Oh Primo. He did not disappoint on his very 1st NBA regular season game, as the youngest player in the league. I know he needs to go to Austin to get playing time to continue getting better and stronger. But hopefully he’ll see more games with the big club, and as the Covid protocol allows him. Great game for Londale too btw.

I really hope this team overachieve. I think they would. I was disappointed at not signing big acquisition. But I’m a Spurs fan and will always root for this team, especially if they continue playing exciting basketball like that game. Great game.
    Last edited by John B; 10-21-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fun to watch.

When Primo plays more than Tre jones, forbes, ewwwbanks, diop,

this team could be dangerous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really enjoy the optimism, soak it in before the next 6 games tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. What a way to start the season. The guys did not disappoint.

I was looking for Lonnie to breakout, and he wasn’t bashful. Not getting the extension did not put him down, but seemed to still enjoy playing out there, rooting gor his teammates. I really like this kid. I’ll root for this guy everytime. I think he deserves a better grade than B.

Vassell is another guy I’m especially rooting for. He’s just fluid out there, both sides of the court. His length and attention to defense will really make him a special player. I admit he looks more natural out there than Lonnie at his 2nd year. Just a smooth player. If both him and Lonnie keep shooting the 3 straight, Bryn would never sniff minutes lest it’s garbage time

McD does not disappoint. Just great signup, and again the main reason Bryn is not in the SL

Tre deserves a grade. I think he’s real solid as a backup PG, granted it was garbage time. But he’s another player that just so poised and collected. You just know he’ll find people, and even more, now he’s an offensive threat and seems to have successfully adjusted to NBA compe ion. Great find at 42.

Drew continues to play good basketball. His confidence out there has really skyrocketed, and I think he will just continue getting better. He reminds me of Bayne, just hard working and always giving his 100%. Great kid.

I’m happy for Derek having a good game. His shots were falling, he continued to move and always finding people. Derek needs to have great games like this to build his confidence back. He’s another smooth operator out there. But him, I think I like to see a little more selfish at getting his own, which should just put more pressure on the opposing team and opens our shooters more.

KJ, I like his energy as always. His dunk seemed to have finally awaken the guys from a slow start. He’s a player whose will will always try to rally the group. I’m also rooting for him to get his mid-game going. I think he’s the X-factor for this team. If he can expand his game, this becomes a playoff team.

Poeltl I was happy he got a great game, close to having a triple-double with 7 assists. He’s another one who also needs to continue having great game, and embrace that leadership role, of setting an example for everyone, especially defensively. He is our prime defensive player and should anchor that role, similar to what Timmy did, yes that’s my expectation from him. He needs to protect the rim, control those rebounds, and just a defensive stalwart. If he plays that defensive leadership, I’d be his number one fan. Scoring 10-12 would be great too, but specially more as a defensive leader of the team.

DJ, I like his intensity as always. I really think he has embraced the head-of-the-snake role of the team, and deservingly so. He kept the fast pace attack tempo, which is key to this team. We don’t really have a dominant iso player, so it would take a committee as always, keep the transition offense at attack mode. I hated when Demar would walk the half-court after getting a great rebound. Lonnie did that also last year. This team needs to run, run, run. And that’s DJ’s primary responsibility as the main ballhandler of the team.

Finally, Bryn. As much as I hate anyone not having a good game, it somewhat allowed Pop to lean on Lonnie and Vassell more, whose physicality are greatly needed. If Pop could continue giving him spot up minutes and nothing more, no ball handling, just pure spot shooter would be great.

Oh Primo. He did not disappoint on his very 1st NBA regular season game, as the youngest player in the league. I know he needs to go to Austin to get playing time to continue getting better and stronger. But hopefully he’ll see more games with the big club, and as the Covid protocol allows him. Great game for Londale too btw.

I really hope this team overachieve. I think they would. I was disappointed at not signing big acquisition. But I’m a Spurs fan and will always root for this team, especially if they continue playing exciting basketball like that game. Great game.
    Good stuff, bro. Thanks to you, OP and others for the break downs as I mssied the game.

It's going to be interesting long term to see how the 2 guard shakes out. Can Lonnie break out? Can White stay healthy? Will Devin move into the starting lineup eventually (yes, says Bill) but will it be as a 2 or 3? What about Primo? Forbes? We may not have answers this year even.

Stay tuned true believers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Lonnie Walker continues to be that aggressive, then I think we have to keep him on the team and part of the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff, bro. Thanks to you, OP and others for the break downs as I mssied the game.

It's going to be interesting long term to see how the 2 guard shakes out. Can Lonnie break out? Can White stay healthy? Will Devin move into the starting lineup eventually (yes, says Bill) but will it be as a 2 or 3? What about Primo? Forbes? We may not have answers this year even.

Stay tuned true believers.
    No thank you for your post as always

Yup Devin was a player to watch yesterday. I think he really put his mark in the game, and kept Bryn out of the game, him and Lonnie playing aggressive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see you put a laughing emotion about my posts....so I'm funny....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I took it as him saying the Magic were tanking and would set the record for most losses not the Spurs....maybe I'm misreading it?
    Nope poster was clearly referring to the Orlando Magics. They've got some nice pieces but it will be eons until they get above water. But credit to San Antonio for doing enough to staple that tank ribbon to Orlando. Other teams would've played down to that comp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved the half court traps and full court press, too!
    If that is a facet of this squad all year long, it will annoy the out of most teams and rattle about half.

Great way to start the season!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to consider: if the Spurs were to tank, they would have to try and lose games like this one.

that.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pleased with the ball movement. Clearly that aspect of the game materialized with the vets having moved on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I love most above everything else is how many deflections I saw the Spurs make. Every pass was a contested one, the activeness and awareness was great to see. If that level of effort on defense is something that sticks then I’ll be really excited to see what the season holds for this team. Shots will be missed and made but defense needs to be there if we will ever be good again.
    8 steals, 4 by DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The starting unit came out a little stale in both halves. Other than that it was a fantastic performance.
    Devin V looks significantly improved over last year.
    Devin was good, really good last year until he caught covid. He was D-ing up, and shooting 40% from beyond the arc. He just wasn’t the same after he came back.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope poster was clearly referring to the Orlando Magics. They've got some nice pieces but it will be eons until they get above water. But credit to San Antonio for doing enough to staple that tank ribbon to Orlando. Other teams would've played down to that comp
    Yup. Last night was a fun game, especially compared to the DeRozan ball we were subjected to for the past three years. But there's not much to take away from beating up on this Magic team. Seeing Devin play well was a nice surprise after his disappointing summer league. This is also the best I've seen from Lonnie in a looooong time. Spurs not extending him must have set a fire under his ass. Looking forward to see how the group responds to Denver on Friday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good teams beatdown bad teams.
    Bad teams typically lose or barely beat other bad teams.

Just sayin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup Devin was a player to watch yesterday. I think he really put his mark in the game, and kept Bryn out of the game, him and Lonnie playing aggressive
    Nah man. Wrong emoji bruh. Two thumbs up always on your sig.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin taking more responsibility so early in the season is huge! I'm impressed he's taking those mid-range jumpers with ease. So unlike DeRozan, he can hit the 3 and is a beast in defense.

Tre Jones for a 2nd round pick seems much better than expected!

Primo perhaps is the steal of the draft.

Poetl had 7 assists. Landale is also good at this dishing them too. Is this the new offense, the center is the source of the assists?

The starting five looks undersized.

The team with Poetl, KBD, Vassell, DJ on the court at the same time is a defensive juggernaut. (see end of 3rd quarter)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    best thing about last night is i don't remember a single instance of over dribbling for 20 seconds. great movement on offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The San Antonio Sprouts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop

Wait, Pop brought Forbes off the bench and then actually benched him when he wasn’t playing well? I thought I’d never see the day. Seriously, though, I like just about everything Pop did. The starting lineup is the correct fivesome. Leaning on Vassell and Walker off the bench was exactly what I hoped to see. The aggressive playcalling on defense helped blow the doors off. The offense looked surprisingly cohesive. Good stuff, good stuff.
    Grade: A
    I agree with this. I've been ting on Pop for the past few years so seeing him make the right moves and push the right buttons like benching Forbes when he wasn't doing the one thing he's good at deserves an A.

But I've praised Pop in the past for doing the correct moves in a game while totally abandoning them for the next game so I'm not holding breath. Saying that, I still expect Forbes to play 40 minutes next game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to consider: if the Spurs were to tank, they would have to try and lose games like this one.

that.
    I've said it already....this team is not going to TRY to tank, and Pop won't let them.

They will try their hardest to compete, and whatever happens happens. Not every game is going to go as well as last night and I still stick to my 32 win prediction...but the team will play hard and try to get better and that should be fun to watch.

I would hate to be a Magic fan watching that game last night. Just....ugh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't give Pop higher than a B+ for coaching cause he did have that 4 min stretch of Forbes and McDermott on the floor at the same time, Magic just suck to much to take advantage

He does that against the nuggets or bucks and we going to be down 15 real quick

Thread Information