Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Several years ago, one began to see an additional criterion in advertisements for faculty openings. As a recent Cornell ad puts it: “Also required is a statement of diversity, equity and inclusion describing the applicant’s efforts and aspirations to promote equity, inclusion and diversity through teaching, research and service.” This sort of requirement became more common and is now virtually ubiquitous. Of the 25 most recent advertisements for junior faculty that appeared in Physics Today online listings as of Oct. 15—from research ins utions like Caltech to liberal-arts colleges like Bryn Mawr, and even in areas as esoteric as quantum engineering and theoretical astrophysics—24 require applicants to demonstrate an explicit, active commitment to the DEI agenda.

This isn’t merely pro forma; it’s a real barrier to employment. The life-sciences department at the University of California, Berkeley reports that it rejected 76% of applicants in 2018-19 based on their diversity statements without looking at their research records. A colleague at a major research ins ution, who asked to remain anonymous to protect her students, wrote to me: “I have a student on the market this year, agonizing more on the diversity statement than on the research proposal. He even took training where they taught them how to write one. It breaks my heart to see this.” Other colleagues relate that their white male postdocs aren’t getting interviews or have chosen to seek jobs outside academia.

This is happening not only in universities. Last week the Howard Hughes Medical Ins ute, a biomedical research charity, announced a $2.2 billion initiative aimed at reducing racial disparity, made possible by a contraction in its funding of significant research for senior investigators. The initiative includes $1.2 billion in grants for early-career researchers. Science magazine reports that because antidiscrimination law prohibits disqualifying applicants on the basis of race and sex, the recipients will be chosen based on their “commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion,” in the words of the ins ute’s president, Erin O’Shea. How? “Diversity statements,” she says, are “a very promising approach.”
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/diversi...ce-11634739677

Commitment to ideology > actual bona fides.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Foreseen in 2015

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a ST thread developing

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always room at Bob Jones University.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^The one in the box (ignored)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^forever rent free

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a ST thread developing
    ^The one in the box (ignored)
    Bingo!

ECHO CHAMBER!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our HR dept is now Human Resources, Inclusion & Diversity

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This is absolute insanity and it's a shame moderate liberals have to devote so much time fighting actual fascism, tyranny and human rights disasters that they can't focus some effort on purging people like this from places of influence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is absolute insanity and it's a shame moderate liberals have to devote so much time fighting actual fascism, tyranny and human rights disasters that they can't focus some effort on purging people like this from places of influence.
    That's histrionic. It's not mutually exclusive to say that Trumpism/the far right is fascist, tyrannical, and a human rights disaster -- and also - the DEI ideology is McCarthyism pt. II.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's histrionic. It's not mutually exclusive to say that Trumpism/the far right is fascist, tyrannical, and a human rights disaster -- and also - the DEI ideology is McCarthyism pt. II.
    Didn't say it was mutually exclusive. But McCarthyism pt. II is also hyperbolic. These people aren't being blacklisted, they're facing ridiculous hiring standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall all talk about fascism while never living in a fascist country. "This is fascist and that is fascist and everything I don't agree with is fascist or far-right!"

Lmao You ing losers and yall's buzzwords.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall all talk about fascism while never living in a fascist country. "This is fascist and that is fascist and everything I don't agree with is fascist or far-right!"

Lmao You ing losers and yall's buzzwords.
    Same with you and Communism.

You may now throw a tantrum about my quoting you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumpster, you and BlaKKKe need to find someone else to bug already. You two pussies are so ing alike and can't understand that I don't read yall's bs yet you keep on replying to me as if I do. I don't care what you pussy "men" have to say whatsoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumpster, you and BlaKKKe need to find someone else to bug already. You two pussies are so ing alike and can't understand that I don't read yall's bs yet you keep on replying to me as if I do. I don't care what you pussy "men" have to say whatsoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on whether it is a goal, and how stringently it is worked towards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same with you and Communism.

You may now throw a tantrum about my quoting you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that employers exercise arbitrary control over workers and often have ideologically tinged hiring requirements that are unrelated to job qualifications.

It sure feels like oppression, but it's defended by conservatives and liberals alike as property rights. Sometimes freedom means freedom to dominate others.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-22-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL that calftats rant when he keeps quoting me even though I told him over and over I have his stupid ass on ignore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re Mr 5 Languages thinks he's funny... Go fluff your boyfriend Dumpster some more you loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL that calftats rant when he keeps quoting me even though I told him over and over I have his stupid ass on ignore.
    Yeah because you got punked by me before you got temp banned. Pussy!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL so calftats quotes me again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor BaselineBum had to put me on ignore a week+ ago because he got his pushed in and can't handle the heat.

YOU'RE A PUSSY JUST LIKE THE OTHERS!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our HR dept is now Human Resources, Inclusion & Diversity
    im sorry

Thread Information